Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's a deck building boardgame. Kind of on its own there as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the deck building in Summoner Wars is of the pre-game variety, a la Magic: the Gathering, not the Dominion or Ascension sort. There's a thread in TG that's pretty informative.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

TACD posted:

Is Magic 2013 worth adding? Neither of you seem very keen on it.

It's worth adding. It's very well done and more or less equivalent to the Desktop version.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, it's got the deck building of a traditional TCG, but it's a boardgame more than anything else. I think it's a great game that's vastly underrated.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

TACD posted:

I think so. It's perfect for people in one of two camps:

1. You played Magic back in the day and think it'd be fun to play again from time to time.

2. You've never played Magic or a CCG before and want to see what the fuss is about.

It's the cheapest way (by a longshot) to easily get into the game, it has good but not crazy tactical depth and challenging standalone puzzles (that there's not nearly enough of).

The idea is that there's pretty well balanced premade decks you unlock. They all have a pretty fun theme, and none of them suck.

For veterans and hardcore players, there's a lot of downsides. You can't really make your own decks or even completely customize the ones they give you. The interface always errs on the side of simplicity over depth. Not all of the trade offs are perfect. The iOS version only supports 1 on 1 multiplayer, unlike all other platforms (I really hope this gets changed in the next version.)

Still, it's Magic for $10, and you can play multiplayer while reclining on your couch and watching Seinfeld. I don't play much any more, but I don't regret buying it. I'll probably buy 2014 too.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
So on the one hand, I've completed 2 games of Eclipse and it seems fun. On the other hand, the tutorial did not do nearly enough to make me understand the game. I have won both games against normal but still don't know how I'm scoring or what is going on. I pick Orion, make ships with upgrades and assault everybody for the win.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I haven't played Magic more than passingly in so long but holy gently caress Slivers. :swoon: Day One buy.

Bottom Liner posted:

It says AI and other players. If you're familiar with MTGO or Hearthstone, they both have draft modes that you pay for via unopened booster packs, which I could see WotC following with this iteration of MtG Planeswalker.

I still don't quite grasp why WotC doesn't just throw a MTGO client onto iOS.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

TACD posted:

I couldn't find anything called Nocturnal Champions, so if I added the wrong game let me know (and link me to the real one).

Also, I put Summoner Wars down as a TCG but I honestly can't tell if it is or not.

Sorry on M&M; I was being a smartass and couldn't be bothered to look up the real subtitle. You got the right one.

Also sorry if my Magic 2013 review came off as negative; I meant to tout it as a pretty well put together app. I'm not a fan of MtG in general (that and anime are are the two last things in the universe that I consider by-and-large too nerdy for me, so I often throw good-natured hate at them to make myself feel like a normie for a few fleeting moments). Magic 2013's interface design is frustrating to me, but interface stuff is a big part of my job, so I can be extra sensitive and picky. Overall, M13's a solid game, and probably the best way for a newcomer to dip a toe in the MtG ocean.

If Summoner Wars isn't technically a CCG or TCG or whatever, then it might be whatever other acronym the Might & Magic game is, because of their grid-based card battle-field similarities. It's a sweet game that's definitely at home in the OP, though.

edit: beaten on some of this, but OH WELP

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 10, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Boxman posted:

Because they've had a hard enough time making a decent MTGO client for the PC, they just don't seem interested in paying anyone competent.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If we wanna split hairs I'd call Mage Wars a turn-based strategy game with "deck construction" elements -- closer to how you build your deck in MtG before games (although without the random card acquisition it's not really a "CCG", you have all your options available up front and can pay a couple bucks to unlock more-- also, you're restricted to cards within a particular faction and so you don't build it from scratch like in Magic) than a game like Ascension or Nightfall, where you build your deck from a pool of publicly available cards during gameplay. That latter category of game, popularized by Dominion (which, tragically, still isn't playable in any reasonable way on my cellphone) is usually referred to as a "deckbuilder".

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Boxman posted:

I heard it's coming, but after they implement leagues.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

KarmaticStylee posted:

So on the one hand, I've completed 2 games of Eclipse and it seems fun. On the other hand, the tutorial did not do nearly enough to make me understand the game. I have won both games against normal but still don't know how I'm scoring or what is going on. I pick Orion, make ships with upgrades and assault everybody for the win.

It's been a couple months since I've played, but from what I remember:

-You get the most amount of VPs from tiles/hexes owned. In the physical board game, that's the number in the shield on the hex, haven't played the iOS version so I dunno if it's represented the same way.
-You get some VPs from reputation tiles won from combat, but you can only "hold" a finite amount of these.
-You get 1 VP per ambassador tile that you've traded with another race (up to 3 possible).
-You get VPs from having a specific amount of techs researched in one track (I think 12 VPs per filled track?).
-You get VPs from *not* using exploration tiles for their bonus.
-You get VPs from building monoliths.

I think that's everything. That's everything from the base version at least, the expansion adds more. There's also some fringe cases, like the Descendants of Draco get 1 VP per Ancient remaining on the board at the end of the game, the Planta gain 1 extra VP per tile owned at the end of the game, stuff like that. Hope that helps!

EDIT: Oh yeah, you also get -3 (-5?) points for having the Traitor card from breaking a Diplomatic Relation.

Spincut fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 10, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kind of ridiculous how poorly MTGO has been handled over the years, I'm pretty much convinced it's intentional. They put up a token effort to keep people from getting too invested in free alternatives, but keep it just hobbled enough that it'll never be any threat to the cardboard version.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Bottom Liner posted:

Ace Patrol from Sid Meier is out and it's fantastic!

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Sid-Meier-Ace-Patrol-Takes-Skies-iOS-Today-55504.html

Free game, with IAP to unlock all countries, etc.

Thanks for this! I've been playing this all day, it's great

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

goferchan posted:

If we wanna split hairs I'd call Summoner Wars a turn-based strategy game with "deck construction" elements -- closer to how you build your deck in MtG before games (although without the random card acquisition it's not really a "CCG", you have all your options available up front and can pay a couple bucks to unlock more-- also, you're restricted to cards within a particular faction and so you don't build it from scratch like in Magic) than a game like Ascension or Nightfall, where you build your deck from a pool of publicly available cards during gameplay. That latter category of game, popularized by Dominion (which, tragically, still isn't playable in any reasonable way on my cellphone) is usually referred to as a "deckbuilder".

It's a bummer that Donald X. Vaccination, or whoever coined the term, chose "deckbuilder" to describe this entirely new class of game when "deck construction" TCGs already existed. They're very similar technical terms that describe very different things, and it leads to a lot of confusion when nonspergs aren't completely clear on the distinction.

It maybe even bears adding to the OP. If so:

quote:

Card Game Classification, a point of distinction

In a deck building game (or deck-builder) each player begins each new match with the same "starter hand" of weak, common cards and, over the course of play, gains more powerful cards from a public pool (or "cube") that are added to their deck and available after their next reshuffle. Dominion pioneered this format, which has since been expanded upon by subsequent games like Ascension.

A constructed deck format in collectible trading card game or living card game involves players designing their entire deck before play begins, using available cards they have acquired from a larger set (such as through purchasing random card packs), often with varied power level and acquisition rarity. Magic: The Gathering is the longest running and most popular example of a game utilizing this format, and more recently a wave of all digital games of this kind has arrived on PCs and mobile devices.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Spincut posted:

It's been a couple months since I've played, but from what I remember:

-You get the most amount of VPs from tiles/hexes owned. In the physical board game, that's the number in the shield on the hex, haven't played the iOS version so I dunno if it's represented the same way.
-You get some VPs from reputation tiles won from combat, but you can only "hold" a finite amount of these.
-You get 1 VP per ambassador tile that you've traded with another race (up to 3 possible).
-You get VPs from having a specific amount of techs researched in one track (I think 12 VPs per filled track?).
-You get VPs from *not* using exploration tiles for their bonus.
-You get VPs from building monoliths.

I think that's everything. That's everything from the base version at least, the expansion adds more. There's also some fringe cases, like the Descendants of Draco get 1 VP per Ancient remaining on the board at the end of the game, the Planta gain 1 extra VP per tile owned at the end of the game, stuff like that. Hope that helps!

EDIT: Oh yeah, you also get -3 (-5?) points for having the Traitor card from breaking a Diplomatic Relation.

Awesome thanks for this! My question now is why the iPad version always shows the score as a range eg. 20-32 victory points. Shouldn't the score be exact?

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
The VPs for reputation (from combat) are all a hidden number between 1-4 for each tile, so you can't know til the end EXACTLY what each person has (a nice touch)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

goferchan posted:

If we wanna split hairs I'd call Mage Wars a turn-based strategy game with "deck construction" elements -- closer to how you build your deck in MtG before games (although without the random card acquisition it's not really a "CCG", you have all your options available up front and can pay a couple bucks to unlock more-- also, you're restricted to cards within a particular faction and so you don't build it from scratch like in Magic) than a game like Ascension or Nightfall, where you build your deck from a pool of publicly available cards during gameplay. That latter category of game, popularized by Dominion (which, tragically, still isn't playable in any reasonable way on my cellphone) is usually referred to as a "deckbuilder".

You're actually not limited to any faction or such in Mage Wars. Unless the card itself denotes that it's limited to a certain mage, it can be played by anyone. :)

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

You're actually not limited to any faction or such in Mage Wars. Unless the card itself denotes that it's limited to a certain mage, it can be played by anyone. :)

He was talking about Summoner Wars.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I was indeed talking about Summoner Wars but holy poo poo where's my iOS Mage Wars?

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

retro sexual posted:

The VPs for reputation (from combat) are all a hidden number between 1-4 for each tile, so you can't know til the end EXACTLY what each person has (a nice touch)

So you can win 4 times as much in battle and, all else pretty much equal, still lose the game? I'm not sure that I like that..

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

KarmaticStylee posted:

So you can win 4 times as much in battle and, all else pretty much equal, still lose the game? I'm not sure that I like that..

Yup. Combat VPs are limited to I think 3 or 4 tiles. Diplomacy, man! Use the rest of those resources for monoliths.

Edit: the more you fight, though, the more chances you have to replace a 1 tile with a 4, though. It helps, but it has diminishing returns.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Anyone play Might and Magic Duel of Champions? I've only played one game against a random person and played a bit of the AI campaign and I think it's a cool game. I like the card placement with front and back lines, kind of a nod to the heroes games. I earned some card packs from playing AI or something but they weren't enough to build a new deck out of them.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

JHVH-1 posted:

Anyone play Might and Magic Duel of Champions? I've only played one game against a random person and played a bit of the AI campaign and I think it's a cool game. I like the card placement with front and back lines, kind of a nod to the heroes games. I earned some card packs from playing AI or something but they weren't enough to build a new deck out of them.

I've been playing quite a bit of it while waiting for Stone Blade to finish SolForge. Ask me anything.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

KarmaticStylee posted:

PFlats posted:

Yup. Combat VPs are limited to I think 3 or 4 tiles. Diplomacy, man! Use the rest of those resources for monoliths.

Edit: the more you fight, though, the more chances you have to replace a 1 tile with a 4, though. It helps, but it has diminishing returns.

Total number of combat VPs are determined by your race; most have 4, but Hydran Progress and Planta have 3 and Orion Hegemony has 5. Combat's a decent way to get 8-12 VPs BUT keep in mind most races will pick some up due to popping Ancients. You really need to have a plan for how combat is going to get you a point advantage outside of rep tokens. (points, resources, and travel lanes via conquering systems and/or denying the same to someone in a good position)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Can eclipse play with multiple people on the same iPad?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Yeah. It's pass and play; it has a little "It's your turn now" screen for each player.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Playdek posted:

Agricola has been submitted to Apple!

https://twitter.com/Playdek/status/333085175816806401

:woop:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Everyone's so excited; what makes Agricola so great? It seems pretty similar to other board games of its ilk.

I'm not asking cynically; I'm genuinely curious. In my circle of gaming friends, we have three D&D nerds and only one rabid indy board game fan, so he usually gets shot down when he tries to convince us to spend an entire evening learning some new game. So for a lot of these super-popular/classic board games (Carc, Puerto Rico, etc.) the iOS version is my first experience with them. Incidentally, I'm really looking forward to the real Dominion release on iOS; I've never played that one either.

edit: VVV Sounds cool; thanks! :cool:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 11, 2013

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Agricola is a really well designed worker placement game and is pretty much the quintessential worker placement game in that it has a shared number of actions that all the players have to choose. You have a set number of rounds and each round a new action space is revealed and the aim is to create the best farm. So far, so standard.

What makes it stand out is that, first of all, after certain rounds you have a harvest phase, in which you have to feed your family, so as your family grow, the more food you have to provide, but in the end stages of the game the harvest rounds come closer and closer together, making it a real challenge to feed your family while still improving your farm. As well as that, action spaces that give you resources get additional resources if they aren't picked in a round, so you have to weigh up getting resources vs waiting for them to build up versus hoping that someone else doesn't take them.

Finally, each player at the start of the game gets a hand of minor improvements and occupations, which he can play in order to get special bonuses and these cards are different for each player. In more serious games it is possible to do a mini-draft of these cards but usually in casual games you just get dealt them randomly. These cards can really change the game and help make each playthrough different from the previous one, something that otherwise can limit the replayability of worker placement game.

Tl;dr it's a really well-designed game with a lot of replayability.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm shocked it's actually coming out. It's been 'Coming soon' for a really long time, without so much as a screenshot.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
OP- you should add 'Phantom Leader' to the list. It's probably the best non-AI driven solo boardgame I've played, and the app is really solid.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Aaaah, I want to play Agricola now! Hope they have solitaire mode supported.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Ascencion Players:

How the hell do you use the Mechana Contruct card "Reclamax" from the RotF expansion?

You're supposed to be able to "discard the card from play to reclaim a contruct from the Void" but I cannot find anyway of discarding it once its in the Contruct slot.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kris xK posted:

Ascencion Players:

How the hell do you use the Mechana Contruct card "Reclamax" from the RotF expansion?

You're supposed to be able to "discard the card from play to reclaim a contruct from the Void" but I cannot find anyway of discarding it once its in the Contruct slot.

I believe you have to "Use" it, ie, double-tap it to zoom in and hit use. That is probably only available as an option if there actually are any constructs in the void.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

I believe you have to "Use" it, ie, double-tap it to zoom in and hit use. That is probably only available as an option if there actually are any constructs in the void.

I thought it might be something like that but it never lets me use it. I want that hadron cannon from the void damnit

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

If it is possible to use it (i.e. there is at least one construct in the void and you have activated enough rune to purchase it) then it will be moved to the right of your constructs list and highlighted as usable constructs normally are. To use it, just slide it into the played cards are like any other usable construct. If you can't figure out how to activate it then one of the two conditions mentioned above is probably not true.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Beelzebozo posted:

If it is possible to use it (i.e. there is at least one construct in the void and you have activated enough rune to purchase it) then it will be moved to the right of your constructs list and highlighted as usable constructs normally are. To use it, just slide it into the played cards are like any other usable construct. If you can't figure out how to activate it then one of the two conditions mentioned above is probably not true.

Oh, yeah, it is this. You have to pick up the Reclamax and put it into the play area.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
So its supposed to work like all the other constructs? I must be loving something up then, I'll give it another shot tonight.

Thanks for the clarification.

Edit: Rereading Beel's reply, I don't think I had enough runes to purchase it, I really think that was what I was messing up.

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Kris xK posted:

Ascencion Players:

Run it with the Tablet of Times Dawn, the Hedron Link Device, and a card drawing engine.

Then, profit. :v:

• Locked thread