Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Boxman posted:

Run it with the Tablet of Times Dawn, the Hedron Link Device, and a card drawing engine.

Then, profit. :v:

He meant literally how you activate and use it in the app, not how to use it WELL. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Boxman posted:

Run it with the Tablet of Times Dawn, the Hedron Link Device, and a card drawing engine.

Then, profit. :v:

Yeah, I was trying to build some crazy Mechana construct synergy, never thought of adding in the Tablet tho.

JoshTheStampede posted:

He meant literally how you activate and use it in the app, not how to use it WELL. :)

At this point Ill take anything I can get, I just figured out last week the benefit of banishing cards from your hand/discard, for the longest time I thought banish cards were useless.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kris xK posted:

At this point Ill take anything I can get, I just figured out last week the benefit of banishing cards from your hand/discard, for the longest time I thought banish cards were useless.

Congrats, now you know how to play literally every deckbuilding game ever.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

anyone wanna get some games going? Eclipse, Puerto Rico, San Juan, Caylus, Alien Frontiers? gc: khailautomatic

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Oh hey, Le Havre just dropped from $5 to $1. Jump on it!

And yes, I'm down for Eclipse, Caylus, Stone Age, Le Havre, Ascension, or Ticket to Ride whenever. GC is ->Spincut<-

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
How is Alien Frontiers? Never played or heard that one discussed before.

^^^ Got it: thanks!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Tikal and Tigris & Euphrates also both price dropped to 99¢ apiece today.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Trustworthy posted:

How is Alien Frontiers? Never played or heard that one discussed before.

^^^ Got it: thanks!
It's a worker placement game but you roll dice at the start of your turn, each dice representing a ship. Depending on what you roll, you can place dice on specific spaces to get resources/acquire special abilities (some of which allow you to manipulate dice)/steal stuff from other players etc. The aim of the game is to create colonies on a planet which has different region: you get one point per colony and one bonus point for having the most colonies in a region (as well as access to a special ability, which changes according to region). It's a pretty good game IRL, haven't tried the iOS version though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's fun on the iOS, a fairly accurate representation of the game. For some reason, I have an easier time remembering the alien artifacts exist on the iOS version than I do in the board game.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Beelzebozo posted:

Tikal and Tigris & Euphrates also both price dropped to 99¢ apiece today.

Looks like all of the apps by that company dropped to $1. Medici and Ra have dropped as well.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Randalor posted:

It's fun on the iOS, a fairly accurate representation of the game. For some reason, I have an easier time remembering the alien artifacts exist on the iOS version than I do in the board game.

The iOS version doesn't have any sort of online multiplayer, unfortunately, unless that's been patched in very recently. It's a shame since it's an otherwise solid implementation. I don't think it was nearly as successful as the developer was hoping.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

The iOS version doesn't have any sort of online multiplayer, unfortunately, unless that's been patched in very recently. It's a shame since it's an otherwise solid implementation. I don't think it was nearly as successful as the developer was hoping.

I don't know why companies bother releasing ports with no multiplayer and sometimes no AI.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't know why companies bother releasing ports with no multiplayer and sometimes no AI.

Creating a pass-and-play board game is an order of magnitude easer than writing AI or multiplayer code.

Seriously, it's like night and day. An inexperienced 2 man team (artist, programmer) could hack together a pass-and-play game pretty easily, especially if it's based on an existing property. AI and multiplayer take more expertise to put together.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

PFlats posted:

Creating a pass-and-play board game is an order of magnitude easer than writing AI or multiplayer code.

Seriously, it's like night and day. An inexperienced 2 man team (artist, programmer) could hack together a pass-and-play game pretty easily, especially if it's based on an existing property. AI and multiplayer take more expertise to put together.

I'm skeptical a lot of these barebones ports end up turning a profit in the end.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm skeptical a lot of these barebones ports end up turning a profit in the end.

You're probably right, but that's mostly irrelevant if the development team doesn't have the funds to create a more full-featured port in the first place. Alien Frontiers iPad barely squeaked by its kickstarter goal.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spincut posted:

Looks like all of the apps by that company dropped to $1. Medici and Ra have dropped as well.
Are those two good games?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

bowmore posted:

I don't know about Ra but Medici is pretty fun. Haven't played it lately but it was my go-to single player game for a few weeks last summer.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

bowmore posted:

I honestly have no idea. From what I've heard, Tigris & Euphrates is Knizia's best game (and the tutorial makes it surprisingly easy to learn), but I don't really follow his stuff. Maybe Tekopo or someone else can pop in and say more.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

bowmore posted:

I absolutely love Tigris and Euphrates and you should definitely get it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

I absolutely love Tigris and Euphrates and you should definitely get it.
I bought that straight away, I just don't know about Medici and Ra.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

bowmore posted:

They're a dollar each, just try them!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

They're a dollar each, just try them!
This is my strategy :)

This also made me realise I'd left Medici off the spreadsheet (go and add yourself now if you haven't already!). Once Agricola drops I'll update the OP with that and Ra.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Tekopo posted:

It's a worker placement game but you roll dice at the start of your turn, each dice representing a ship. Depending on what you roll, you can place dice on specific spaces to get resources/acquire special abilities (some of which allow you to manipulate dice)/steal stuff from other players etc. The aim of the game is to create colonies on a planet which has different region: you get one point per colony and one bonus point for having the most colonies in a region (as well as access to a special ability, which changes according to region). It's a pretty good game IRL, haven't tried the iOS version though.

you're right, I didn't bother to check if it actually had online capability. Shame. Fun game

edit: Ra is okay. Definitely the weakest of all the titles that were price-dropped

panko fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 17, 2013

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

TACD posted:

This also made me realise I'd left Medici off the spreadsheet (go and add yourself now if you haven't already!). Once Agricola drops I'll update the OP with that and Ra.

Do we have any news on when Agricola is coming out? I've been chomping at the bit to play it.

poo poo, I just want to starve to death on my lovely farm. Is that so much to ask? :smith:

EDIT: Also, I heard the Kingdom Builder app sucked when it came out. Has it gotten any better?

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

TACD posted:

Medici isn't multiplayer is it?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Spincut posted:

Guess I own all of them now. Le Havre also 99¢ but I had that one

I had $63 in iTunes credit yet I still found myself contemplating a 99 cent purchase. What's wrong with me

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm enjoying Medici so far. It looks like one of those games like Puerto Rico that's a pain in the rear end to learn, but it's actually a pretty simple casual game. Took me like one game to learn the basic mechanics, and another to pick up on some basic strategy.

edit: And it's a short game; maybe five-ish minutes long playing against a couple AI players.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

JHVH-1 posted:

Guess I own all of them now. Le Havre also 99¢ but I had that one

I had $63 in iTunes credit yet I still found myself contemplating a 99 cent purchase. What's wrong with me

It's not just the money, it's several hours of your time. Go do your research on boardgamegeek or whatever.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
OK, friends, let's have a proper discussion in this new thread! My initial board game background is in backgammon, where strategy discussions typically center around "problems", or captured board states that present an interesting (non-obvious) play decision worthy of debate, through which all will hopefully improve.

Today, I present the following Lost Cuties problem from my recent match with Kelthorn :australia::stat:

Here, I have backed myself into a corner by writing off my Brazilian Rain Forest adventure team with a premature 10 (:gizz:) earlier in the match and have clearly left myself no desirable alternatives for the next play. But which, of those available, is the least undesirable? My enemy has triple invested green, so my leanest discard there still throws him a whopping twenty free points (all the value of the 8-card bonus!). However, embarking now on my quest to the Himalayas without further investment (and giving up the free 3 card) will curtail my only scoring opportunity (possibly to my loss of the match). Can I make up the 20 if I draw a white coin next? What if I draw the green 6 next though? How do I best hedge against the next draw?

What say you, goons of the cardboard emulation? :chord:

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 17, 2013

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
You've got yourself in quite a pickle there. Personally I'd head for the hills and hope for the best. Worst case scenario he's got all the yellows and greens in his hand and the draw pile is full of red. But it seems more likely you'll get a few of his cards if you keep drawing so I'd just start laying down white and drawing hoping to grab up some green and yellow.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
From my point of view, being an utter newb to the game, I'd start laying down whites while I had the chance.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
There's very few relevant high value cards left in the draw pile. You already know where all the 10s are and you have 4 of them. There's also only 13 cards left in the draw deck, so unless he stops drawing, you'll only get to play 7 more cards. I think you should just play your whites and end the game.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

ZerodotJander posted:

There's also only 13 cards left in the draw deck, so unless he stops drawing, you'll only get to play 7 more cards.

With 13 cards left in the draw deck, I can play either 13 more cards or however many cards are lying on the table (a number that regrettably is not surfaced in this app), whichever is smaller. Remember that you don't have to draw after every turn. One of the earliest strats to internalize when learning this game is the art of using uninvested lanes and unwanted discard pile pick-ups as a pure timing mechanism.

In this situation, what I actually did was throw him the 5 and draw (I'm not asserting that this was correct, or I wouldn't have even posted the problem). I discarded whatever was drawn (if it wasn't a white coin) and repeated this process, chasing white coins, until there were 6 cards in the draw deck. At that point, I discarded my most recent draw and picked up the 3. Then I played out my white cards, picking back up my recently discarded crap each time, until my enemy drew out the rest of the deck. If I caught a white coin I probably won, and if I didn't then I might not have. I frankly should have noted the outcome of that match for the sake of this discussion, but it ultimately doesn't really impact a debate of the best play from the captured position. In other universes the remaining draws were in different orders. The game is to make the play that wins the majority of those possible games.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
I think it makes more sense that you didn't tell us what you did or what happened before presenting the problem.

When you say, threw the 5, do you mean the green or the white? Discarding the white five was the only other move I considered besides just playing all your whites. Discarding any green card seems like the worst possible choice. At best it gives him 20 points and at worst gives him 8 cards in green.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I'm really impressed with Lost Cities, it's such a tight little game where every single turn and move really matters and almost every turn presents a tough decision.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I haven't played a ton of Cuties, but I do have opinions:

As it stands, at best, he's got the green 6 and 7. You've got all the big green points accounted for, and you're going to be stuck holding the 8 and 9 in your hand for the rest of the game. If you don't give him the 5, he's negative in green, and can only make up points in yellow and red.

You have fewer cards to play than he likely does (if he's going to win), so I'd only spend one turn chasing the white coin. Then play a white card and draw from the pile. You need to get those whites out of your hand to open up spots there for the cards Kelthorn wants. You're kinda hosed and can't play them to the boards, so you just need to hog them.

Put him on the clock. I like to try to control the draw pile at the end of the game. If you're drawing from the discards, you never get any new cards. If you're drawing from the deck, you're going to get those cards he's hoping for, like a yellow 8 or a red anything. Drawing yellows, reds, or especially more greens from the pile doesn't feel as nice as that white coin, but it helps you win just as much.

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

Whoa, my ears are burning. I went back to try and find the outcome of this match but couldn't.

I probably lost this match. I realised I've a recently grown into very nasty habit of over-committing to colours. I'd have a 9 or a 10 and not much else but a few coins, then play the coins to draw hoping that I'd make up the 6 or so points I'd need to go positive. It has won me a few games by a wide margin, but it's tending to lose more games at the moment than not, especially against better players. I pretty sure this is what I did in this game, and am betting that I lost.

I didn't play like this ALL the time, and I was winning a lot more games than I was losing before I started being stupid. I'm trying hard now to correct this oversight. :)

Having said all that, I with your hand I would have played white. There's a high chance I have at least one white coin in my hand, so the chances of you drawing one are even smaller. Also, any benefit you'd get from another white coin would be negated quite a bit by giving me +20 from the green 5. That's how I read it.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Kelthorn posted:

Also, any benefit you'd get from another white coin would be negated quite a bit by giving me +20 from the green 5. That's how I read it.

I think a lot of you are severely undervaluing the investment coin cards here. They are multipliers for the entire lane. If I already have enough numbers to make it into the black, then one coin doubles my haul, three coins triples it, and four coins quadruples it. By comparison, a measly 20 points is just one coin on a played ten card, let alone whatever else is in that lane.

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

I think a lot of you are severely undervaluing the investment coin cards here. They are multipliers for the entire lane. If I already have enough numbers to make it into the black, then one coin doubles my haul, three coins triples it, and four coins quadruples it. By comparison, a measly 20 points is just one coin on a played ten card, let alone whatever else is in that lane.

Not at all. I just wrote a post about playing coins when I shouldn't, they rock. Only pointing out that in this case that some, not all, mind you, of the benefit from getting another white coin would be negated by having to discard the 5. To me it lends weight to playing white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Kelthorn posted:

Not at all. I just wrote a post about playing coins when I shouldn't, they rock. Only pointing out that in this case that some, not all, mind you, of the benefit from getting another white coin would be negated by having to discard the 5. To me it lends weight to playing white.

Huh? I'm showing 35 total white points in that position (38 if I pick up the free 3 card). So from there, each additional coin is worth at least 35 points.

…which is more than 20 :confused:

• Locked thread