Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

Jedit posted:

He's not the hero we want, he's the hero we need.

He might also be the only person I've ever clicked the ignore button on. He's a hero indeed.

Is there any news on when Twilight Struggle will finally hit iOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Soma Soma Soma posted:

Is there any news on when Twilight Struggle will finally hit iOS?

We don't have any release ETA, but here is the latest update:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559431060/twilight-struggle-digital-edition/posts/1117454

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Soma Soma Soma posted:

He might also be the only person I've ever clicked the ignore button on. He's a hero indeed.

Wait, there is an ignore button?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Beelzebozo posted:

That dude single-handedly caused me to quit pokémon forever. He's pretty depressing.

edit: That thread moves fast, and often I flip through several missed pages at once just looking for trusted and respected posters to stop and read, like JoshtheStampede
Am I a trusted and respected poster :v:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Beelzebozo posted:

That dude single-handedly caused me to quit pokémon forever. He's pretty depressing.

If you don't mind telling the story, what happened?

The pokemon miss you

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Beelzebozo posted:

Seconding "tell the story", because what?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

To be fair Pokemon is pretty depressing anyway. You go and catch these wild animals and stick them in tiny balls so they can fight each other for your personal gain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

To be fair Pokemon is pretty depressing anyway. You go and catch these wild animals and stick them in tiny balls so they can fight each other for your personal gain.

Pokemon is proof positive that the only reason dog fighting is frowned upon is because they don't put Chihuahuas in the pit.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Pokemon was great as a kid, when it was just about filling up the Pokedex with cool experiences and exploring the world around you.

Then it became all about managing numbers, min-maxing, and grinding up levels spending all your time in one area.

It's a metaphor for life, you see.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Nybble posted:

Pokemon was great as a kid, when it was just about filling up the Pokedex with cool experiences and exploring the world around you.

Then it became all about managing numbers, min-maxing, and grinding up levels spending all your time in one area.

It's a metaphor for life, you see.

Or if you're not a boring rear end adult, it's still about those fun things and you can ignore the spergy stuff.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How is Pandemic on iOS? It's on sale for $4.99. Thought the board game was alright, but it seems it would work much better as a single-player puzzle game, as the reviews suggest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mega64 posted:

How is Pandemic on iOS? It's on sale for $4.99. Thought the board game was alright, but it seems it would work much better as a single-player puzzle game, as the reviews suggest.

It works really well for that, yeah. It's also fine for coop, my wife and I enjoy it.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Bottom Liner posted:

It works really well for that, yeah. It's also fine for coop, my wife and I enjoy it.

2nding this post. Wife and I play it and Forbidden Island a bunch.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Hell yes:

http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=1639

I play a lot of dominant species so having a better iOS version is much appreciated. The current version just isn't good enough.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

Thanks for the reply! I figured the updates were locked for non-backers like a lot of projects, but clearly I was wrong.

djfooboo posted:

Wait, there is an ignore button?

Profile -> Add user to your ignore list

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Broken Loose confirmed for top shelf poster and board games hero

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Broken Loose is a good poster :colbert:

Has anyone else had an issue with Galaxy Trucker Pocket notifications not showing up? Once I open the app it goes "Oh yeah, here's a badge", but if I don't check in on it it'll never let me know.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

chaoslord posted:

Broken Loose is a good poster :colbert:

Did anyone save his arkham horror description?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

chaoslord posted:

Has anyone else had an issue with Galaxy Trucker Pocket notifications not showing up? Once I open the app it goes "Oh yeah, here's a badge", but if I don't check in on it it'll never let me know.

Do you also have the iPad version? I have both and it only sends notifications to the iPad, I'm not sure if it's a case that Pocket's notifications are just plain broken, or if it can only send a notification to one device.

I've been pretty disappointed with how the online capabilities have performed, even with the latest updates, it's still buggy as hell. I tried to play a real-time online game with my friend only to get stuck on some random screen (it said it was waiting for him to deal with a meteor), meanwhile he's sending me IMs saying "rough game, eh?" Apparently, somehow, the game finished completely for him, somehow I still played moves even though I clearly didn't, and it didn't say I was replaced by AI, either.

Then this weekend we tried to play a local game and even then it kept disconnecting/freezing. Super lovely during shipbuilding, and even during the adventure, it meant one person would have to keep force-quitting the app and reloading the online lobby 2-3 times to get it to work.

I wouldn't be so bummed except that version 1.0 on the iPad worked fine, and since then they've added Android and iPhone support and now everything is occasionally broken, including the previously-fine iPad to iPad games.

Lotsa angst about Galaxy Trucker online play in this post. :(

Brother Larry
Dec 11, 2000
I have naked pictures of my girlfriend but I'm too whipped to share them with you.

SquadronROE posted:

Does anyone know if Star Realms is supposed to get any expansions? I feel like I've played through all the content currently and just want more. It's such a great deck building game.

One came out, and it's... interesting. I doesn't seem like an expansion so much as they added like 10 cards, all of which are weird and don't really affect gameplay THAT much. The level 4 campaign they added is preposterously ridiculously hard, or else I'm a completely terrible player at this game. Although I smoothly beat the other three campaigns on hard, I can't even get past the second one of 4 on Normal. Computer starts out with four bases, one 4 blocker and two 6 blockers, and 50 health. Er.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I was here a week ago asking about Galaxy Trucker Pocket notification issues. They've since pushed an update and so far so good for me so hopefully that's the end of it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yep. I posted a huge angrypost reply but I have to say it's been really great after the latest update, finally.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
San Juan is .99c right now. Haven't had a chance to play it, but the reviews seem very positive.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Quarriors is free right now.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Malt posted:

Quarriors is free right now.

Argh why does this have to be iPad only

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

dropkickpikachu posted:

Argh why does this have to be iPad only

This sums up my reaction to half the "X is on sale!" posts in here. :(:respek::(

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
It's ok, Quarriors is a bad game not worth the space on your iPad hard drive.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Caylus and Neuroshima Hex are on sale for $2.99, while Eclipse is at $4.99.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Mega64 posted:

Caylus and Neuroshima Hex are on sale for $2.99, while Eclipse is at $4.99.

None of these apps is worth your time, at any price, despite how great their cardboard namesakes all are. Big Daddy's Creations are a garbage developer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beelzebozo posted:

None of these apps is worth your time, at any price, despite how great their cardboard namesakes all are. Big Daddy's Creations are a garbage developer.

What's wrong with the Eclipse app? I've never seen anything wrong with it, except the lack of the expansion.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Jedit posted:

What's wrong with the Eclipse app? I've never seen anything wrong with it, except the lack of the expansion.

As with their other apps, the multiplayer is atrocious. If you just play it single player then nothing is really wrong with them.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Beelzebozo posted:

Did they ever fix Neuroshima Hex's multiplayer? I remember trying to start a few games with Bummey way back when and not only would the chat history delete itself every time you switched to another game, but the games themselves would randomly wipe!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I never bothered to check to see if it got better.

I'll still recommend NS Hex Puzzle, though. Got my money's worth out of that. Like a chess "Mate in X moves" book but for NS.

Edit: doubly good for introducing a buddy to the cardboard game

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 11, 2015

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I was dead set on getting a newish iPad air for mostly gaming, since I mostly do board gaming too (with stuff like PvZ too), and since most people say the larger size is better for primarily gaming and such.

But I borrowed an iPad Mini from work, and gently caress, now I kind of like that size.

Someone convince me to stick with my iPad Air idea, because drat. Now I'm indecisive. I figured I'd ask this thread since it I primarily play non-actiony games where OMG BEST HARDWARE of the bigger iPad is needed.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
How often do you replace/upgrade your devices? If you are on that regular upgrade cycle every couple of years, you could get the mini and see how you like it, a lot of people do prefer it for gaming.

But if you're going to try to eke every last drop out of that tablet and use it for like 4-5 years, you should just get the Air.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

ZerodotJander posted:

How often do you replace/upgrade your devices? If you are on that regular upgrade cycle every couple of years, you could get the mini and see how you like it, a lot of people do prefer it for gaming.

But if you're going to try to eke every last drop out of that tablet and use it for like 4-5 years, you should just get the Air.

Yeah, I've given it some thought and I may go for the Mini because I don't play a lot of high end / hardware demanding games (hence posting in this thread) and would rather pay less now and maybe upgrade in the future than spend a lot now for the biggest and best.

However, since the previous post I realized that a Mini may be good for doing stuff my old crappy non-smart phone doesn't do well (wifi spectrum troubleshooting, etc) as I really have no need to upgrade to a smart phone anytime soon if I have a small tablet with me should I need it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pandemic's down to $4.99 again.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Mega64 posted:

Pandemic's down to $4.99 again.
For the record, this is now Universal.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Coup got a surprise release and is free. Looks like there is online play and the only IAP I see is alternate card art.

Edit: Multiplayer requires in game currency to play, not obvious IAP include $7 to see other player stats or remove ads, multiplayer isn't asynchronous and the timers are absurdly long if someone steps away.. Great first impression that quickly swings the other way.

Malt fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Malt posted:

Coup got a surprise release and is free. Looks like there is online play and the only IAP I see is alternate card art.

Edit: Multiplayer requires in game currency to play, not obvious IAP include $7 to see other player stats or remove ads, multiplayer isn't asynchronous and the timers are absurdly long if someone steps away.. Great first impression that quickly swings the other way.

For speed reasons they removed foreign aid. I agree that foreign aid would really slow down multiplayer games, but it really throws a loop at head-to-head games. Those are my favorite. That and not having any actual body language to read make the game somewhat meaningless to me. Still one of the best in person games I own though.

• Locked thread