Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

By all means feel free to follow along and participate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

If anyones interested, it's Buddha's birthday this Friday here in Korea (and probably other countries, too.)

So, make of it what you will, and happy Buddha's Birthday everyone!

Edit: and it was a good one

Hope it was nice for everyone else.

Can anyone comment on the purpose and significance of bowing and prostrating to statues?

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 17, 2013

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

It's to show reverence for the teachers who laid the path- and also a sign of humility.

I'll be celebrating Shakyamuni's birth on Vesak, which is friday! So hopefully it will be good for me! (it won't, I'm not in a largely buddhist area)

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Quantumfate posted:

It's to show reverence for the teachers who laid the path- and also a sign of humility.

Also to expand, from a Vajrayana perspective:

Buddha has no physical form but is believed to exist (and not exist, and both, and neither, etc.) in the form of emptiness. Because Buddha has attained emptiness, essentially any Buddha-image and Buddha-form is the Buddha, because it's not not the Buddha. This is why Buddha images are not used for decoration in Tibet, and it is for example very rude to extend the soles of the feet towards a Buddha statue, and so on.

And in the preliminary practices of many lineages, high numbers of prostrations are used to both teach humility and also to accumulate merit (prostrating anything is an act of humility, taking Refuge is often accompanied by prostrations, and both activities generate merit, so in that wonderfully low-magic sort of way, banging out 100k prostrations accumulates lots of merit, which can serve to assist in attaining Buddhahood).

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

What does Korean Buddhism fall under? My first time in a Korean Buddhist temple a lay practitioner described the prostrating to me as something to bring good favor. Her English was limited though, so I couldn't get more than a basic answer.

I took part in it last weekend but feel a little like maybe I shouldn't have, without understanding it more.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

BrainDance posted:

What does Korean Buddhism fall under? My first time in a Korean Buddhist temple a lay practitioner described the prostrating to me as something to bring good favor. Her English was limited though, so I couldn't get more than a basic answer.

I took part in it last weekend but feel a little like maybe I shouldn't have, without understanding it more.

Merit and good favor could be more or less the same given poor English command. I believe Korean Buddhism tends to be Zen or Vajrayana, but I am not able to look it up right now. There is if I recall a pretty robust Wikipedia entry about Korean Buddhism though that I remember reading once.

I don't see any problem in taking part in prostration even without understanding all the reasons. Generally meritorious actions are meritorious whether you intend them or not. For example animals can gain merit by walking around stupas or prostrating even though they do so without intent.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

After chatting with paramemetic, I have a question I'd like input on- Or rather an interesting sort of dilemma. I've been meditating outside a fair bit, and while doing this I observed an ant moving to what was clear to me: a spider web. As I had been making a habit of helping out animals I meet, I naturally pushed the little girl onto another direction with a gentle prod from a twig. Upon reflection though this action denied the spider a meal and may have meant starvation or suffering.

Now obviously billions of beings die each day, suffering will continue to exist, and to dwell on all those suffering can be a hinderance because we cannot help them all. But the dilemma is that in this instance you are perfectly poised to help a sentient being- Should you intervene on behalf of the ant? On behalf of the spider? Should you remain inactive and simply say Manis and Mantras to help the ant attain a different birth and to help the spider who causes suffering with a necessary act?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Quantumfate posted:

After chatting with paramemetic, I have a question I'd like input on- Or rather an interesting sort of dilemma. I've been meditating outside a fair bit, and while doing this I observed an ant moving to what was clear to me: a spider web. As I had been making a habit of helping out animals I meet, I naturally pushed the little girl onto another direction with a gentle prod from a twig. Upon reflection though this action denied the spider a meal and may have meant starvation or suffering.

You did deny the spider a meal, but you also saved the spider from the karma of killing. Wanton killing is kind of one of the bad points of being born as an animal. It's silly to try to prevent the spider from ever eating, thus killing him. It's also silly to ignore the opportunity to save a life that is right in front of you simply because ~the circle of life~

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Did anyone have a difficult time reading Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind? I'm about 50% through and it's a little bit of a strange read. I've found Thich Nhat Hanh's translations to be much easier to understand, but I'm trying to expand beyond reading Thay's work.

Tubba Blubba
Jul 14, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Did anyone have a difficult time reading Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind? I'm about 50% through and it's a little bit of a strange read. I've found Thich Nhat Hanh's translations to be much easier to understand, but I'm trying to expand beyond reading Thay's work.

I'm doing alright with it, but it is very strange indeed.

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
If i only had to read one book about zen, i think it would be "Zen mind, beginner's mind" ! Everything is in it. You got really simple and down to earth practice advice, but also more philosophical points of view, a lot of humor, and a very poetic and strange style.

If by "difficult" you mean that sometimes you don't understand, it's totally normal and it is also what makes this book so valuable : first because it teaches you that you don't need to understand everything and that it's ok, which is something really important in zen, you don't have to "know", things don't have to "make sense", there are paradoxes everywhere ; but more importantly, you can read it multiple times, following your progress in practice, and always discover new things about practice that were in the book from the beginning but that you did not understand before. It is a book i read at least 4 times in the last year, and every time my understanding of it evolves. It truly is one great book.

If you want something that makes sense and is a lot more easy to understand, you can try Nishijima's "Facing the real dragon", which gives biological and philosophical explanations of zen but also really strong practice advice.

Then maybe one day try to read Nishijima's translation of Dogen's "Shobogenzo", it's wonderful, but it can take a lifetime to study it properly.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Quantumfate posted:

But the dilemma is that in this instance you are perfectly poised to help a sentient being- Should you intervene on behalf of the ant? On behalf of the spider? Should you remain inactive and simply say Manis and Mantras to help the ant attain a different birth and to help the spider who causes suffering with a necessary act?

I was in a somewhat analogous situation a few years ago. I worked at an arboretum which, due to the large expanses of 'natural' habitat within a city, was home to 'wild' animals. In June of that year, we started seeing a fox with mange who we watched die over several weeks. The arboretum's policy was "let nature take its course". I asked the director and was given the option to catch it, take it to the vet, and pursue treatment, but it was all on me.

Consulting with my spiritual friend, his advice was that by interfering with the foxes life, I would be intervening in another sentient beings karma. He asked if I willing to do that and accept the results? Did I understand the causes and conditions that led to this situation well enough to say "This situation is wrong and I must do something"? Was my desire to step in out of true compassion or idiot compassion?

HTH

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Any goons in the Chicago Western suburbs? I've been meaning to check this place out and was wondering if anyone had any experience there. I've been practicing alone for years and would love to have a group to meet with.

http://www.ibpschicago.org/default_en.htm

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I wanted to gain clarification on one aspect of Buddhism: Love. Love seems to be one of the most important concepts to the Buddha, from my very little research and understanding on the topic, but the Preta, or "Hungry Ghosts", are supposedly attached to the world for a variety of reasons, one of them being Love. How does this work? Is it particular kinds of love(i.e. Platonic vs. Romantic vs. Friendship), or ways of loving, or is it an intensity thing? I always thought about it like this: the Buddha wants us to love and bring happiness to others always, but accept their deaths as an inevitability, allowing us to be both deattached and attached. But again, I'm not a Buddhist. Thanks in advance!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I wanted to gain clarification on one aspect of Buddhism: Love. Love seems to be one of the most important concepts to the Buddha, from my very little research and understanding on the topic, but the Preta, or "Hungry Ghosts", are supposedly attached to the world for a variety of reasons, one of them being Love. How does this work? Is it particular kinds of love(i.e. Platonic vs. Romantic vs. Friendship), or ways of loving, or is it an intensity thing? I always thought about it like this: the Buddha wants us to love and bring happiness to others always, but accept their deaths as an inevitability, allowing us to be both deattached and attached. But again, I'm not a Buddhist. Thanks in advance!

As far as I understand things, love isn't the term I often see to describe what is more generally emphasized as compassion, which in our language love would be a little over general as far as terms go. It would be in line with the agape or caritas conception of selfless love for others, but in many ways is at odds with some of the other conceptions, particularly Eros. For monastics of just about all settings the vinaya is pretty explicit in saying monks aren't supposed to be having sex (which doesn't mean it didn't happen of course), as its one of those things which so easily breeds, pun not intended, attachments. And this is so throughout most of the tradition, even Mahayana leaning monks lived in the same monasteries and followed the same vinayas as mainstream Buddhists (there is no such thing as a Mahayana vinaya), with vinaya being the big thing that identified your sect. For lay practitioners, the ideal is more realistic an captured in the pancha sila as an injunction against sexual misconduct and immorality, as generally interpreted and determined my surrounding social mores.

As far as it being an intensity thing, I don't really think so, rather its more an attachment thing and a motive thing. So often love happens to be about sexual gratification, the good feelings it brings one's self, what the other person can/is doing for me, etc. and in that sense love can be problematic. In other ways it can be a sort of intoxicating substance, leading to all sorts of unhealthy attachments on other things. I've met many people who feel that if they're not in love or a relationship, they're failing a societal standard, they're not attractive or worthy, and it causes all sorts of distress. That's clearly attachment to a variety of things aside from and in addition to love. It's almost a truism to state that love can lead to both selfish and selfless behaviors, and in the sense that it is a mask for selfish motives and behaviors, for self-gratification, this is what damns the pretas in my mind. But in the ways love leads to selflessness, particularly when that love is not restricted to just one entity (which is in turn then is so often about how that entity makes ME feel, what they do for ME etc.), then it's the sort of thing that only leads to compassion and would be an unequivocal good.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 3, 2013

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Possessive love would be viewed differently than simply loving something for what it is.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Not able to answer for Buddhism as a whole, really, and the above answers apply very well, but today while talking about Lord Jigten Sumgon as today is his anniversary, my lama discussed that Jigten Sumgon has taught that for beginning practitioners and such it is often more beneficial to meditate on love than on compassion, because meditating too much to develop compassion can lead to agitation and suffering if it is not developed in the context of bodhicitta.

The difference is that of meditating on love for all sentient beings as your mother just naturally, respecting every sentient being as the one who has been kind for you in this and past lives, and loving all sentient beings with equanimity and kindness, treating every being as your guest, mother, guru, and Buddha. The equivalent to love in this sense would be close to the Greek concept of Agape, or perhaps the Latin virtue of Caritas, or just generally compassionate or altruistic love.

Compassion is the feeling of movement that inspires us to act to benefit suffering sentient beings. We want to ease that suffering, we feel their suffering as our own and we are moved toward action to benefit them.

Combined, love (loving-kindness is often how it's rendered in Buddhist literature) and compassion join to form Bodhicitta, the foundation of the Mahayana philosophy, that of a strong desire to attain perfect Buddhahood for the benefit of all sentient beings, in order to ease the suffering of others, rather than the desire to pass into parinirvana purely for the cessation of one's own suffering.

But without love, meditating on compassion can drive us crazy, as developing it can lead to psychic trauma, thinking about all the immense suffering in the entire world. Developing both, however, provides a strong motivation to benefit sentient beings.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
How do you meditate on something?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

The-Mole posted:

How do you meditate on something?

Direct your thoughts towards it. With love, it's suggested to focus on your mother (by Tibetans, who are very into mothers, but anybody you love will work). You just focus your attention there and consider how they have treated you well, how they reduce your suffering, nurture you, etc. For compassion, you can focus on the same thing, but that person's suffering, and how you have felt similar suffering, and so on.

Not all meditation is calm-abiding, and metta (lovingkindness and compassion) can be or it can be something else. Although it can be a form of calm-abiding, if you focus on such concept as your referent object.

Also there is a general conception of meditation involving freeing the mind of thoughts or not thinking, but this is not always the case. In Drikung Kagyu practice my understanding is that thoughts should be redirected towards the referent if that's what you're doing, especially in the early stages of learning meditation, but that thoughts are simply dependently arising phenomenon like anything else, and so at some point one simply abides them coming and going as well, so long as it can be done without grasping.

After all, being rid of thought entirely is still grasping.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 4, 2013

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I guess I'm wondering more how someone would meditate 'on' something other than compassion.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Regarding meditating on things, and how practice isn't always just keeping the mind calm and clear, I would like to offer a reading to the thread. It's from the zen perpective, but I feel like it has applications for all sorts of practice. It's the concluding chapter wrapping up the book, but I feel like it stands well enough on its own.

Meditations on Zen Buddhism by David Wright posted:

Ch: 10 Conclusion: Zen Buddhism in Theory and in Practice

"When we discover that we have in this world no earth or rock to stand or walk upon but only shifting sea and sky and wind, the mature response is not to lament the loss of fixity but to learn to sail." - James Boyd White

"During Huang Po's time, he left all the monks who followed him and became involved in the general work at Ta-an Monastery, where his continuous practice consisted of sweeping out all the rooms. He swept the Buddha hall and the Dharma hall. But is was not continuous practice done for the sake of sweeping out the mind, nor was it continuous practice performed in order to cleanse the light of the Buddha. It was continuous practice done for the sake of continuous practice." - Dogen

Zen Buddhism has been practiced in East Asia for well over a millennium. During this lengthy historical period, the Zen tradition incorporated into itself many of the spheres of culture - or cultural practices - that were dominant in its time. Theoretical thinking, or philosophy, was one of these, and the Huang Po texts are fine examples of its Zen form in the early Sung period. Nevertheless, Zen Buddhism is not primarily a philosophical movement. Indeed, criticism of theoretical reflection from the perspective of Zen meditation practice is ever present in Zen literature. Even when Zen Buddhists do philosophize, as Huang Po certainly did, practice, not theory, is the emphatic focus of reflection. Therefore, it seems important that we conclude these meditations by asking, first, how should we understand the relation between meditation and philosophy in Zen Buddhism, and, second, how should we understand the relation between our own theoretical reflections on Zen and the practice of Zen?

Once again, we can take our initial lead on this issue from John Blofeld. Following the discussion of "Zen doctrine" in his introduction to the translation of Huang Po, John Blofeld addresses the topic of "Zen practice." The practice he had in mind, and the one that he knew would need to be discussed, was meditation. This word "Zen" means "meditation" and this practice, variously conceived, has always been important to the tradition.* The issue of Zen meditation posed a serious problem for Blofeld's understanding of his own book, however, because as he admitted, Huang Po seemed to have very little to say about this topic. Uncertain about what to make of this absence in the Zen master, Blofeld wrote that "Huang Po seems to have assumed that his audience knew something about this practice - as most keen Buddhists do, of course." This was, of course, a sound assumption on Blofeld's part: practitioners in a ninth-century Chinese Buddhist monastery would have known something about this practice, so much in fact that, whether a Zen text discusses it or not, we can be confident that this practice could be found not too far in the background of the discussion. Nevertheless, the question must be significant: if the origins and early centuries of the Zen tradition were heavily focused on seated meditation, why do we find in Huang Po and in the avant-garde Zen tradition of his time a relative disinterest in meditation? Why do we find the practice of meditation being so frequently criticized in the Zen monastic discourse of that period?

Answers to these historical questions can be found in a number of places. Let us take just one, however, as an impetus to our own reflections on the issue of theory and practice. It is clear from many sources that, in addition to their practice of silent meditation, Chinese Zen monks of this period pursued a theoretical practice aimed at rethinking the entire domain of meditation. One theory being practiced to this end claimed that there is nothing for meditative effort to achieve since all human beings already possess the "Buddha nature" that has been their birthright all along. Therefore, Ma-tsu, the lineage founder, would speak as if to absolve monks of the necessity of "constant sitting" because "everyday mind is the Way," not the extraordinary mind of prolonged disciplinary sitting. Following Ma-tsu's theory, Huang Po would instruct his followers that "since you are fundamentally complete in every respect, you should not try to supplement that perfection by such meaningless practices." This theory was taken to be worthy of considerable meditation; dedicated monks would "practice it day and night," both when they were in seated meditation and when they were not.

In the time that Huang Po's text was being composed, it appears that the relations between thought, practice, and all other activities were being radically reconceived. One form that this reconceptualization seems to have taken is a critique of the idea that meditation practice is a special activity located outside the domain of ordinary life. Meditation was thought to be more effectively practiced when it was not considered a separate and sacred dimension of life, but rather as the conscious awareness present in all human activity. If the point of meditation was to elevate the level of awareness in daily life, transforming all moments and all activities in enlightening ways, then raising meditation above and separating it from daily life would be counterproductive. Instead, meditation was to be universalized; that is, all acts, no matter how ordinary, were to be performed as though they too were meditative practices. Rather than limiting meditation to a certain number of hours in the meditation hall, monks were encouraged to live all moments of life meditatively, no matter what the external form of the activity currently under way. When properly theorized, meditative practice was to encompass everything: daily monastic labor, ordinary conversation, eating, bathing, breathing, and so on. When monks pondered the common Zen phrase, "In chopping wood and carrying water, therein lies the marvelous Way," they were simply practicing the most transformative Zen theory of their time, a theory aimed at making all of life one continuous act of meditation.

One of the many forms that meditation could take was theoretical or philosophical reflection. Thus, "theory" could be refigured in the mind as "practice." Although in some ways this may seem an odd conclusion, it would not have surprised anyone in the Buddhist tradition. On the contrary, from very early on, meditation was divided into two basic forms. One form (samatha) is non-discursive silence - stopping thought activity and pacifying the mind - and the other (vipassana) is philosophical meditation, a conceptual meditative practice. Zen meditation can be found abundantly in both kinds. When zazen takes a non-discursive form, the intention of its practice is to calm the mind of pointless and frenetic activity. In this case it seeks to clear away the meaningless chatter that obstructs mindful presence in the world; it opens the senses to experience the world in ways that are otherwise obscured. This is a non-discursive, non-conceptual practice, even though, upon reflection, theories can be found in the background: theories about relationship between silence and enlightenment, theories about what the mind is and how it can be transformed, theories about what reality is and how it an be experienced, not to mention practical theories about how to do it. In the actual practice, however, theory stands in the background, framing the practice by making it self-evident to practitioners why and how it might be performed.

When, on the other hand, zazen takes a linguistic and thoughtful form (vipassana), the mind is to be enlightened through a sustained transformation in thinking. In this case mental images provide the lens through which new dimensions of reality are opened to view. John Blofeld alludes to this in his discussion of Zen practice when he includes in a list of practices "unremitting effort to see all things in light of the truths we are learning." "Truths," in the form of thoughts and images, shed a light on "all things" that transforms the way they are experienced. How things appear differs in accordance with alterations in the mental "light" that is shed on them. Light reflected through the doctrine of emptiness, for examples, shows the world one way, while the doctrines of compassion, sudden enlightenment, and mind-to-mind transmission will display it in other ways. The point here is that, by traditional Zen standards, dwelling in Zen light by thinking its doctrines IS Zen meditative practice.

This point, however, is frequently misunderstood. Both scholars and practitioners, east and west, tend to misrepresent the role of thought in meditation by holding to an untenable dichotomy between thought and meditation. Taking this point of departure, they might assume the obverse of Blofeld's claim that "if we practice Zen it must surely be because we accept its cardinal doctrines" because one cherished doctrine in this tradition is that Zen is a religion without doctrines.** But this doctrine about Zen can neither account for itself nor the presence in Zen of precise forms of thought that support its sophisticated practice. Zen theory is a form of Zen practice that sustains other practices by showing how, why, and to what end they might be worth performing. It is not an optional addition to Zen practice. Although practitioners may proceed with practice on the belief that doctrine is dispensable, the net result is not non-doctrinal practice. Instead it is practice guided by doctrine that is naive and poorly developed, because it has not undergone thoughtful appraisal. Zen scholars have tended to accept this view of Zen without the critical evaluation that has been applied so carefully to other dimensions of Zen.

There are important limits, however, to this way of setting Zen theory over other forms of practice. Perhaps most important is the realization that all thinking of theory, whether religious or not, is already shaped by practice. The word "practice" here means, simply, "what we regularly do," the patterns of activity that we share with others and that form our socially constructed world. Human practices, or patterns of activity, establish the background or context within which thought takes place. Everyone's perception of the world and their sense of what is possible within it are pre-formed by these practical forms of life. They construct the basis or context for thinking. Although all human beings share this common ground, differences are significant. Our patterns of thought will come to be shaped quite differently depending on whether we spend many hours each day with others in zazen or farming or doing social work or analyzing the stock market. Each practice in each of these social worlds directs and shapes the mind with its own distinct language, set of concerns, hopes and fears.

Therefore, from this angle of vision, we can see the role that practice plays in shaping theory, and thus, their reciprocal character. Intertwined, theory and practice continually shape each other. The way you live your life and the way you understand it are mutually determining. In Buddhist terms, they "co-arise," neither one able to sustain itself in the absence of the other. "Practice" is the actualization and embodiment of theory, which, in implementing theory, continually hones, revises, and reorients the world view that gives rise to it. Reflective thinking seeks to make practice explicit, self-conscious, and subject to criticism and revision. It helps everyone continue asking: practice of what, why, and toward what end? These theoretical questions show the essential reciprocal relation between practice and theory in Zen and elsewhere.

In the Zen tradition, the purpose of saying that everything is religious practice is to bring daily life to awareness, to point out the patterns of daily activity to the one living them. This is a very productive theory. Anyone who practices it will be less likely to ignore any aspect of their life; cultivating the practice, they gradually perform each activity with greater and greater awareness. The danger of the theory that "everything is practice," however, is that is may obscure the opposite point: that in the midst of the many practices people perform, a few are worth elevating because they have an important bearing on the quality of all others. Both meditation and philosophy might be placed in this group. "Everything is practice" should not be taken to mean that it doesn't matter, therefore, which ones are chosen or how they are placed in relation to each other. It does matter. Not all practices are equal in their qualitative powers. What the theory is meant to highlight is the state of mind in which all activities are performed. This should not, however, be confused with the question of which among the many activities are most worth choosing to do. When they do get confused, the danger is that, in attempting to elevate ordinary life, spiritual life is debased or lost. Although one goal in the Zen tradition is to eliminate the distinction between "ordinary" and "spiritual," this elimination is only effective when the ordinary has been elevated to the level of the spiritual, and not vice versa. That the distinction is "empty" in Buddhist terms does not mean that it is without important function. Lacking some distinction like this, no transformative awakening would ever be sought, nor attained.

To test these meditations, an experiment in thought is productive. Reversing the idea that theory is actually practice, consider whether, on contrast, philosophy and meditation might both be regarded as theory. Framed in this way, both theoretical reflection and meditation could be considered "theory" insofar as both require a temporary step back out of ordinary life; they are exceptional practices requiring the suspension or ordinary practice. They are both temporary, artificial, experimental removals from worldly activities for the intended purpose of reconfiguring one's overall orientation to daily life. Philosophical thought and silent meditation are the same in this fundamental respect. While all practical tasks are performed on the world, so to speak, these two practices suspend work on the world, requiring instead a self-conscious step back to work on the "spirit" of the performer him- or herself. It is in this sense that they are spiritual activities, in clear distinction from most other dimensions of daily activity or practice.

This gives us two seemingly contradictory alternatives. Is philosophical reflection really a form of practice, like all activities, or is it better to regard reflection and meditation as two forms of theoretical removal from ordinary life? In this case, we can have it both ways, since both bring into view some dimension of the matter inaccessible to the other perspective. In fact, it is counterproductive to think of either as the final word on the matter. "Skill-in-means" - the Buddhist virtue of flexibility in conception - is the ability to move in principle between points of view, each informing the other so that greater and greater comprehension results. Stopping short of this comprehension to finalize a doctrinal position is a self-imposed limitation that is unnecessary and misleading. While philosophical meditation is clearly a practice, like non-discursive meditation, it is a practice that removes one from the practical sphere of everyday life so that greater perspective on life might be gained. The step back into theoretical practice is made in order that other practices might be transformed and elevated.

Stepping back out of the rush of everyday life to reflect or meditate is also, in effect, stepping back out of the self; it sets up an opportunity to consider being (theory), or to strive to be (practice), something other than what you have been so far. That is clearly the overarching point of Buddhist practice: to transcend yourself, to go beyond yourself, to become someone wiser, more insightful, more compassionate, more flexibly attuned to the world than the self you have been. In Zen Buddhism, this transformative process is deeply ensconced in institutional structures and is maintained over time in the form of relatively stable traditions. This, of course, does not match the image of Zen we find in much western literature where a significant degree of tension exists between "institutional structures" and the spirit of Zen. The iconoclastic dimensions of Zen are interpreted frequently to encourage the search for enlightened self-transcendence on one's own, individually, thus avoiding the alienating features of hardened institutions and overbearing traditions. This form of individualism, however, is rarely found in East Asia, in the Zen tradition or elsewhere. Even where it is found, it has been made possible by the traditions and institutions that encourage individuals to consider such a quest. Lacking institutions and traditions altogether, Buddhists don't inherit the "thought of enlightenment" at all, in any of its forms; they would not receive the bequest of models, ideals, images, and symbols, all of which give rise to the quest, sustain it and, on occasion, bring it to fruition. In every culture, institutional traditions place images of excellence before individuals and lay out for consideration the alternative forms of practice at their disposal. As has been the case in most traditions of self-cultivation, "transcendence" occurred in Zen through processes of idealization, the projection and internalization of ideal images of human cultivation handed down from one generation to another in the form of traditions by the institutions responsible for them. Zen monks studied the masters before them, in person and in literary image, and then adapted their own comportment to those models. Through these texts and these ideals, monks studied who they could be and what kinds of practice might be entailed in attaining those identities. The initial posture required in this practice of self-cultivation would have been one of self-effacement before images of excellence - the enlightened masters of Zen. Imitation of these ideals was neither unenlightening nor impossible since monks understood these images of excellence to be instances or models of their own true nature - the Buddha nature inherent within them.

Placing emphasis on the institutional "givenness" of these cultural ideals as they are experienced by practitioners, and upon the imitative reappropriation of these ideals, should not be taken to imply, however, that the self's role in Zen practice was simply passive, or that the tradition was so conservative that it was not open to change. Accordingly, we should notice that classical Zen texts project not just one image of excellence but thousands of them - an enormous pantheon of historical and historically constructed saints. The repertoire of possible ways to be a self was immense, showing that previous efforts to construct an enlightened identity each demanded some degree of differentiation. Emptied of previous selves, monks were initiated into processes of constructing identities by synthesizing and reshaping the variety of patterns bequeathed to them through the tradition. "Established convention" and "distinctive identity" were not held to be in opposition since the established models WERE distinct identities, and since one's own act of self-construction would inevitably push in some new direction.

Indeed, as we have seen, one of the most intriguing images in the texts is the example of Zen masters rejecting convention and refusing to follow custom and pattern. This custom was itself a focal point of imitation, a pattern of Zen practice. Although the quest for enlightened life begins when the practitioner is moved by admiration to imitate the image of previous masters, the practice of imitation is not itself enlightened behavior. It does begin the quest, however, by teaching the practitioner how to recognize his or her own deficiency in relation to the model and how to begin the process of self-modification.

Through this process, each participant defines a distinct relationship to traditional resources, and, in doing so, the tradition is transformed. Newly revised images of the ideal emerge as new generations adapt the tradition to new circumstances. It is here, perhaps, that we find the greatest theoretical strength of the Buddhist tradition. In the wake of the doctrines of no-self, impermanence, dependent origination, and emptiness, human beings could easily be understood in flexible and non-essentialist terms, as capable of differentiated possibilities. Indeed, the greatest of the traditional Zen masters were understood to be innovators, who, like Huang Po, put substantial pressure on the traditions they were inheriting. Like others before and after him, Huang Po was expected to "go beyond" the figures of excellence that he had idealized and imitated. Lacking a fixed essence, what possibility for human cultural transformation could be ruled out in advance?

The tension between traditional models of excellence (the results of prior activities of "going beyond") and the current act of going beyond those models through critical innovation is potent in its creative force. Positive idealization gives substance and concrete shape to the tradition; critical appropriation builds the tradition by pushing it beyond its forms into further refinement or reformulation. Zen practice requires correlating these positive and negative functions so that they sustain each other over time.

Each practitioner had to do this on his or her own. Doing it, however, required "awakening." Only when stirred out of complacency do practitioners ask crucial questions. In the Zen tradition, one of the critical functions of the awakened masters like Huang Po was to expose the sleepy routines of everyday life, to show the ways in which even Zen discourse tended to objectify and substantialize the self, such that "the self" became a topic about which one could hold forth, all the while forgetting WHO it was that was holding forth. To counteract this tendency in discourse, Zen masters sought to force the self as "I" into manifestation, to bring the self out of its place of hiding within the language and customs of the tradition. When Hui-hai Ta-chu, the "great pearl," came to the master Ma-tsu to study Zen, Ma-tsu shocked him with the question, "why are you here searching when you already possess the treasure you're looking for?" "What treasure?" In response to which Ma-Tsu replied: "The one who is right now questioning me." This was Ma-Tsu's favorite line and the text has him present it to all of his students at precisely the right moment: the moment when, through prior cultivation, the "I" is prepared to emerge into self-awareness. This is about YOU, not "the self" in general, or some other self! Who are YOU, and what are YOU doing? When, on another occasion, Ma-Tsu was asked, "What is the meaning of Bodhidharma coming from the West?" he bent the inquiry back upon the asker: "What is the meaning of your asking at precisely this moment?"

As a question posed to modern, western interpreters of Zen, Ma-tsu's question could hardly be improved upon. What is the meaning of "our" asking at precisely this moment in our own history? Why are we interested, and what is the point of the modern western engagement with Buddhism? Asking these questions brings our own act of reading and thinking into view. Who are we, the ones who engage in these meditations across cultural and historical lines? These questions are crucial for the reflective reader of Zen Buddhism today. They are also similar to questions that Zen texts like Huang Po sought to evoke in meditative readers of earlier times. The connection between these questions across historical eras is the focus on self-awareness. Thus we realize that when we are studying Zen, what we are also inevitably studying is... ourselves, regardless of when we are studying or why. And that, clearly, is the point of Huang Po's Zen. Realizing this, and imagining the gleam in Huang Po's eye, is all that it takes to bring these meditations to fruition.

Notes:

*Foulk is right, however, to insist that there is no single element of the Zen tradition that can legitimately be conceived as the essence of the tradition throughout its history ("The 'Ch'an School").
**We should not that in later years Blofeld too began to teach that not only Zen but Buddhism itself did not depend upon doctrinal truths.

F hole
May 13, 2008

Posting to say thanks for the thread. I lived in Thailand for a year and the section on Theravada helped me better understand the role that Buddhism has in their culture.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
The Mindfulness in Plain English ebook was amazing. Thanks for posting it in this thread!

Does anyone here practice Vipassana meditation?

Sonata Mused fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 6, 2013

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Sonata Mused posted:

The Mindfulness in Plain English ebook was amazing. Thanks for posting it in this thread!

I love that book and practice vipassana/mindfulness meditation.

I'm interested in learning more about transcendental meditation and am curious to hear anyone's thoughts on that. Also, is it necessary to do the ~$300 training for it? It almost seems scammy that so many celebrities endorse it but it also has the most peer-reviewed research.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons

khysanth posted:

I love that book and practice vipassana/mindfulness meditation.

I'm interested in learning more about transcendental meditation and am curious to hear anyone's thoughts on that. Also, is it necessary to do the ~$300 training for it? It almost seems scammy that so many celebrities endorse it but it also has the most peer-reviewed research.

Hi. I grew up in the TM movement. I can answer any questions you may have through PM. It's not necessary to spend large amounts of money to learn meditation. Many places will teach you for free. In Buddhism one is usually taught for free.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I know it doesn't really matter, but has anyone used Mala for things other than chanting? Some of the meditation and mindfulness practices I do require counting and I was thinking carrying a small mala around would be easier than keeping it in my head.

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Locked, cocked, and polygonally rifled... This creature fears nothing.

Shnooks posted:

I know it doesn't really matter, but has anyone used Mala for things other than chanting? Some of the meditation and mindfulness practices I do require counting and I was thinking carrying a small mala around would be easier than keeping it in my head.

I keep a mala with me pretty much all the time. I know opinions differ but I think of it as a tool. When the mood strikes or I have a spare moment I'll recite mantras and use it to count, or if I want to pray I use it for gassho. I'm pretty spontaneous about these things so having something always on hand makes sense to me.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
How has the counting been significant, out of curiosity?

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Locked, cocked, and polygonally rifled... This creature fears nothing.

The-Mole posted:

How has the counting been significant, out of curiosity?

huh?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Shnooks posted:

In Tibet where some practices involve hundreds of thousands of prostrations there are additional counters that attach right to the mala to let you keep track of way many more numbers. So yeah. The mala is a tool. It's a religious tool, and often blessed, but it is a tool regardless, so feel free to use it as such.

Also in Tibet they are sometimes used for divination and decision making so there's that. It's really a very utilitarian device. I guess as long as you're not using it to count murders or something it's fine. The only exception I can think of is mala consecrated for use in deity yoga, which need treated with respect throughout the practice at least.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Paramemetic posted:

In Tibet where some practices involve hundreds of thousands of prostrations there are additional counters that attach right to the mala to let you keep track of way many more numbers. So yeah. The mala is a tool. It's a religious tool, and often blessed, but it is a tool regardless, so feel free to use it as such.

Also in Tibet they are sometimes used for divination and decision making so there's that. It's really a very utilitarian device. I guess as long as you're not using it to count murders or something it's fine. The only exception I can think of is mala consecrated for use in deity yoga, which need treated with respect throughout the practice at least.

I've been told that a practitioner should be aware of what the mala is made of: certain materials shouldn't be used for certain practices. For example, a bone mala shouldn't be used in particular Sadhanas.

I'm going to Tibet next month and visiting the former seats of the Kagyu and Sakya lineages as well as other cities and sites. Is there anything I should be aware of with regard to etiquette specific to monastery visits or Tibet in general?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm going to Tibet next month and visiting the former seats of the Kagyu and Sakya lineages as well as other cities and sites. Is there anything I should be aware of with regard to etiquette specific to monastery visits or Tibet in general?

If you're traveling by any method other than road, go find a doctor before you leave and get Diamox seriously get Diamox THIS WILL NOT END WELL FOR YOU IF YOU DO NOT HAVE DIAMOX. Take it from someone who had to carry his AMS-ridden wife onto a plane and deal with mud brick hospitals, unsterilized oxygen tank nosepieces, and holy-poo poo-why-are-there-lizards-in-the-bathroom. Seriously. That was WITH Diamox too. Take it easy for at least two days after you arrive, and not "only do some light sightseeing" like "recuse yourself with a book and only get up to poop and maybe to piss."

Seriously, the human body was not made to go to those altitudes at those speeds.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Try to avoid riding a horse into their monasteries. It is not completely forbidden, but generally it is frowned upon.

Jumping Spider
Dec 13, 2010

"The heavens and the earth may be captured by the mind's eight eyes"

- Spider Buddha

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

If you're traveling by any method other than road, go find a doctor before you leave and get Diamox seriously get Diamox THIS WILL NOT END WELL FOR YOU IF YOU DO NOT HAVE DIAMOX. Take it from someone who had to carry his AMS-ridden wife onto a plane and deal with mud brick hospitals, unsterilized oxygen tank nosepieces, and holy-poo poo-why-are-there-lizards-in-the-bathroom. Seriously. That was WITH Diamox too. Take it easy for at least two days after you arrive, and not "only do some light sightseeing" like "recuse yourself with a book and only get up to poop and maybe to piss."

Seriously, the human body was not made to go to those altitudes at those speeds.

As the person who had to be carried onto a plane due to severe-AMS, TAKE DIAMOX! I was fine at 12,500 ft for 2 and a half weeks WITH diamox until we set out trekking. AMS is not a pleasant experience - be sure to take it easy for a while.

qwerasdf
Oct 1, 2006
(Eat shit)

Sonata Mused posted:

Yep. I went on a 10-day Vipassana retreat a while back, and plan on doing another one soon. Highly recommended.

Don't forget about this book:
http://www.interactivebuddha.com/mctb.shtml

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

qwerasdf posted:

Yep. I went on a 10-day Vipassana retreat a while back, and plan on doing another one soon. Highly recommended.

I've really wanted to do this for a while, mind sharing any more?

qwerasdf
Oct 1, 2006
(Eat shit)

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I've really wanted to do this for a while, mind sharing any more?

The course I went to was instructed by Goenka (not in person, but via audio/video). You can sign up for these courses at dhamma.org (although you'll have to do it weeks/months in advance, especially if you're a girl, because they seem to be in demand.)

The courses are 10 days long, non-denominational, and most importantly, free. If you make it to the end, they do accept donations, which will go toward the next course, and toward building more facilities.

During this time, you aren't allowed to communicate to anybody else but your instructor. Yes, that means giving up your cell phones and gadgets for 10 days to a storage locker. I suppose you could get away with something though; it's not like they're going to frisk you :).

The majority of the people there were probably college-aged kids, with some older Indians filling the remainder. Men/Women are separated to prevent distraction, and the only time that you see the opposite sex is in the meditation hall, although you're not really supposed to look at them (I probably did.)

Basically, you meditate for ~10 hours a day either in the hall or in your room when given the option. You're day goes from 4:30a to 9:30p, although most will sleep-in during the first two hours, because it's 4:30 in the goddamned morning when the gong sounds. Don't cheat yourself here if you can help it.

The sessions are 1 to 1 1/2 hours long, with breaks in between. You'll know when a session is wrapping up because they play a CD of Goenka chanting something for a couple minutes. Seems weird at first, but you get used to it. Eventually he tells you what the hell he's saying. At the end of each day, they play an (old) video of Goenka himself talking about what you are experiencing. This guy is actually pretty entertaining, and you'll look forward to listening to his stories every night.

I should point out that there's really very little talk of beliefs and such things as reincarnation; this course is all about a mental exercise with perhaps a dash of philosophy.

There are two instructors there who don't really do much except ask you how you are doing periodically. They also have what I call "office hours" after lunch where you can go talk to them. This is where I go to complain about my rear end hurting after 5 days of sitting; but they are extremely helpful and will answer all of your questions.

That leads me to another point: You are going to f'ing hurt after a few days of sitting. They do have some chairs, meditation benches, and some extra cushions, and boy are people piling that poo poo up by the end of 10 days. You can also lean against the back wall, assuming someone else hasn't already built a cushion fort back there. I recommend you bring a bunch of cushions and whatnot, because you'll need it unless you've been doing this for years. I can't sit cross-legged and keep my back straight, so I stacked cushions under me and put my knees forward. People were thanking me at the end for showing them that position :).

On the last day, you're allowed to communicate again in order to get re-acclimated to normal life. This is always a fun time because you get to talk to people about things you've experienced over the past 10 days, including things like "Why did that girl freak out on day 3?" and "What's up with that one dude that kept farting out loud?"

Anyway, my meditative experience went as follows:

For the first 3 days, you practice concentration meditation, and for the other 7, Vipassana.

Day 1-2: By the end of day 2, I was able to focus on my breath/nose without my mind wandering more than once for the whole hour. Pretty incredible, considering that I couldn't manage it for 5 seconds when I first started.
Day 3: My face kind of feels like it's melting off to the side. Also, feeling tingling sensations on my face (what they call 'vibrations').
Day 4-5: Scanning my whole body now, feeling some vibes here and there, drat my knees are starting to hurt.
Day 5-7: I can feel vibrations over most of my body, even though there are a few "blind" spots. I can't believe this is real.
Day 8-10: drat the physical pain, getting pretty angry, why doesn't Goenka shut the hell up that stupid jerk.

Overall, very interesting, and I would say *crucial* to anyone who wants to try meditating. Trust me, most of you'll probably get bored of trying to meditate on your own for 30-60 minutes every day if you're a beginner. It really helps to take one of these courses to jump-start your practice.

Because I didn't manage the physical pain very well, I didn't progress as far as I could have; however in the weeks following, I started to witness incredible things. I once found myself meditating within a dream, and felt like I was going to explode, which is both terrifying and awesome.

I can honestly say that I've stumbled upon something profound and life-changing, and I'm only scratching the surface.

Sorry for my terrible writing.

qwerasdf fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 18, 2013

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'd really like to try one of these retreats but with a wife who doesn't meditate using all my vacation days for a year for it seems pretty unreasonable. :(

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

khysanth posted:

I'd really like to try one of these retreats but with a wife who doesn't meditate using all my vacation days for a year for it seems pretty unreasonable. :(

There are plenty of opportunities for shorter retreats, albeit not in that particular style. For example, the Shambhala Center of Seattle offers a summer retreat in the city that people are allowed to attend only part of if that's all they're able.

It's not an all or nothing thing, and any kind of deepening experience is well worth it. Even a two day weekend program is helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

khysanth posted:

Further to Leon's post, some additional examples from zen centers:

http://www.sfzc.org/cc/display.asp?catid=2,6,120
http://www.rzc.org/sesshins-meditation-retreats/upcoming-sesshins/

Look around and you may well find something that works for you.