Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Folderol posted:

Here's Walpola Rahula's perspective; it's not too long and may be helpful to you in sorting this out:
What the Buddha taught: the First Noble Truth

Hmm, so impermanence or imperfection is just as valid translation for dukkha as suffering? I remember how we were told in comparative religion class in high school how according to Buddhism "life is suffering". I wonder what kind of image would've been left to us students if dukkha were traditionally translated to something else. I remember thinking that Buddhism's view must be pretty grim.

As a side note, I've seen Dharma Talk podcasts recommended pretty often in this and the previous thread. Has anyone listened to Zencast? I used to listen to it relatively much while jogging. I just wonder why it's Dharma Talks that's recommended so often but I don't recall anyone mentioning Zencast. There's not something wrong with it, is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The topic has been broached before but I thought I would mention a recent experience with Western psychology appropriating Buddhism from my own life. The other day I was walking by one of the therapist offices where I work when I noticed a singing bowl. I asked about it and learned we're moving into a Dialectic Behavioral Therapy program where singing bowls will be used to signal transitions between groups and such. DBT has a heavy emphasis on mindfulness and approaching reality as it is without making should/could statements, and with orienting to present reality. I am pleased by that, since I've already been using this in crisis intervention and in helping patients. Nevertheless, I thought the decision to employ singing bowls seems at the very least strange. I guess nothing else has quite long resonance though.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Rurik posted:

Hmm, so impermanence or imperfection is just as valid translation for dukkha as suffering? I remember how we were told in comparative religion class in high school how according to Buddhism "life is suffering". I wonder what kind of image would've been left to us students if dukkha were traditionally translated to something else. I remember thinking that Buddhism's view must be pretty grim.

Imperfection more so than impermanence I think. Impermanence is something else, "annica". Dukkha is more like inherent unsatisfactory nature of all things. Impermanence is that all phenomena are temporary.

My question: what's up with the bodhisattva vow? Is it a literal vow with specific words or just the concept of dedication to the liberation of all beings from suffering? Isn't a bodhisattva supposed to keep themselves from becoming enlightened in order to help others, giving the idea oh the Mahayana "great vehicle"? How does a bodhisattva keep themselves from reaching enlightenment?

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 25, 2013

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

ashgromnies posted:

My question: what's up with the bodhisattva vow? Is it a literal vow with specific words or just the concept of dedication to the liberation of all beings from suffering? Isn't a bodhisattva supposed to keep themselves from becoming enlightened in order to help others, giving the idea oh the Mahayana "great vehicle"?

It's roots in some of the early Mahayana "sutras" (quotes because in certain ways they mimic the forms of sutras but are different in many ways and also from several centuries later) are an idealization of Buddhahood. The early mahayanists rather than being a sort of lay oriented movement focused in the suffering of others was a movement based on monastic revivalism. The early Mahayanists were critical of common forms of lay community worship involving stupa cults and heavy community engagement and were pushing for a return to more austere forms of practice with an emphasis on meditation and going back into the forest. From there the idea was that the most hardcore austerity and ideal would to be become a Buddha, seeing as that is what Gautama Of the Shakya clan did, this is what should be emulated. Over time Mahayana iconography and orthopraxy inevitably drifted back towards a similar place it originally tried to get away from, and the Bodhisattva vow became an ideal of attaining enlightenment for all beings as opposed to just becoming a Buddha (which doctrinally you can't do or become until the previous Buddha's dharma has disappeared from the cosmos). So that early mahayanists were seeking a goal more austere an hardcore than mere arahantship, and later Mahayanists seeking enlightenment for all beings, which is technically in a sense incompatible with becoming a Buddha one's self.

quote:

How does a bodhisattva keep themselves from reaching enlightenment?

Glib answer: word games and the attachment to the suffering of others.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

ashgromnies posted:

My question: what's up with the bodhisattva vow? Is it a literal vow with specific words or just the concept of dedication to the liberation of all beings from suffering? Isn't a bodhisattva supposed to keep themselves from becoming enlightened in order to help others, giving the idea oh the Mahayana "great vehicle"? How does a bodhisattva keep themselves from reaching enlightenment?

The bodhisattva vow is a simple vow to attain enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings, and not to pass into parinirvana until all sentient beings attain liberation. In its common practice, it is essentially a vow to maintain either the practices in Santideva's "Way of the Bodhisattva," or the 37 Bodhisattva Practices. The basic idea is that bodhicitta, the excellent mind of pure altruistic motivation, is the foundation of attaining complete Buddhahood. There is of course the dispute mentioned before by Yiggy, and its result, which is along the lines of Mahayana Buddhists saying that Theravada/"Hinayana" practitioners don't get real enlightenment, because their motivation is ultimately selfish. (Edit: this is not to diminish the Theravadan school, which practices the essence of Buddhism and which serves as the foundation of Mahayana. I believe Gampopa writes that those who accomplish the Hinayana ultimately end up just becoming Mahayanists later while doing whatever fully enlightened beings do, but I lack any knowledge to talk about that).

Without regard to its historical development and so on, bodhisattva practices are the essence of Mahayana. This is practiced through developing the six perfections (generosity, moral behavior, patience/tolerance, diligence, concentration, wisdom awareness) and so progressing through various levels of development with various levels of attainment and on and on. For a good reference from the Drikung Kagyu tradition, the Jewel Ornament of Liberation by Gampopa is fantastic.

As far as the "keeping self from reaching enlightenment," it's less about keeping oneself from reaching enlightenment and more about passing into parinirvana. A bodhisattva can be a fully enlightened being, such as Avalokitesvara, Manjusri, etc. As for how they can prevent that, they have attained liberation and having so attained they can kinda "game" rebirth, to be crass about it. Also with high enough attainment, they are not limited by the basic rules of rebirth and such. For example, Avalokitesvara has four physical ("nirmanakaya") forms right now off the top of my head (HH the Dalai Lama, HH Chetsang Rinpoche, HH the Karmapa, HE Dagmo Kusho Sakya) and likely hundreds or thousands of others I don't know of. Each are kind of distinct, discrete beings, but their mindstream is inseparable from Avalokitesvara.

As for attaining Buddhahood, Mahayana uses this slightly different definition of Buddha, because while there is only one Buddha for any given realm in any given kalpa (Sakyamuni Buddha, for example, for us), there are as many potential Buddhas as there are sentient beings, and there are also Buddhas kinda staging for the future already. Buddha Maitreya, for example, will be the next Buddha in this realm after the teachings of Sakyamuni are lost. There are also Buddhas for all the various realms, and for other worlds, universes, etc.

It becomes even more complicated when you start breaking down Buddhas into different bodies or forms or so on. For example Sakyamuni Buddha is the nirmanakaya (physical form) of Vairocana, the samboghakaya (subtle form), who is also Vajradhara (the primordial Buddha) in dharmakaya (truth body form, i.e., primordial void). So you can have one being who is a bunch of other things too. Then there are the other "Wisdom Buddhas," who are essentially considered to be the kind of emanated conceptualization of an aspect of Buddhahood. So for example, Buddha Amitabha is the emanated concept of the compassionate nature of all Buddhas.

I'm getting off topic a bit, but I recommend Santideva's "Way of the Bodhisattva" to learn more about what a Bodhisattva is, does, and what motivates him or her or it. This particular translation I've linked is a great copy.

BTW in terms of the vow itself, the translated vow my tradition uses is as simple as

"Until I attain the heart of enlightenment, I take refuge in all the Buddhas, I take refuge in the Dharma, and likewise in the assembly of the Bodhisattvas. As the previous Buddhas cultivated the enlightened mind, and progressed along the Bodhisattva Path, I, too, for the benefit of all sentient beings, give birth to Bodhicitta and apply myself to accomplish the stages of the path."

There's not much more to it than that on the face, but Gampopa explains that the vow should be initially taken from your teacher unless you are incapable of finding a teacher or traveling to your teacher would risk your very life, in which case it can be taken by yourself, and that there are a couple different ways to take it, and so on.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 25, 2013

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

ashgromnies posted:

Imperfection more so than impermanence I think. Impermanence is something else, "annica". Dukkha is more like inherent unsatisfactory nature of all things. Impermanence is that all phenomena are temporary.

Imperfection then.

As a total sidenote, I'm going to cancel my Audible subscription, but I have a credit left and while browsing I encountered Practicing Mindfulness: An Introduction to Meditation. Because I don't know what I want to buy and that at least concerns an interesting subject, I want to ask your opinion on it, people in this thread. And in case that is some shallow new age podcast, do you happen to know any good audiobooks on meditation or Buddhism?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
http://www.dharmaseed.org/

That's my go-to source for way more talks than I could ever listen to. After that, I doubt I'll ever pay for a talk.

I went to a Nyingma center for a talk once and they wanted 20 bucks. I offered them the two dollars and two oranges I had with me, but they didn't want them. Then their card scanner didn't work 4 or 5 times in a row, so that ended up working out alright.

There's so much free stuff out there, I dunno why anyone pays for anything Buddhist, beyond token paper and ink costs. I guess if you really like a center and want to help with building costs....

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
My center requests donations for teachings and so on, but never turns anyone away for lack of funds or unwillingness to pay. We request 20 or so for teachings and practice and while we never get that much per head, donations are our only source of income. We pay tens of thousands in taxes and building upkeep and for supporting our monastics, so I pay as often as I can and try to buy dharma supplies from our bookstore.

That said, mandating payment or turning away people for nonpayment or lack of funds is totally contrary to the spirit of dharma. I would be very wary of even a recognized lineage that was turning people away for nonpayment. The dharma belongs to everyone and no one, so should never be for sale, and generosity goes both ways.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Supporting monastics is pretty cool, given that it is usually quite a search to find a cave with a convenient spring/stream in a safe, out of the way place. That and combining a bit of community with that lifestyle also seems to have been genuinely for the best.

And yeah, maintaining buildings is not at all cheap. Especially old buildings.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I apologize if this is a stupid question, so here goes: are Hinduism and Buddhism at all compatible? I know that Hindus believe in the atman and Brahman and Buddhists don't, but then again Daoists believe in the Dao and Shintos believe in kami, and yet there has been some synchronization between those religions and Buddhism. But Buddhism seems to contrast itself strongly with Hinduism, and a lot of stuff I read about Buddhism heavily emphasizes how the Hindu concepts of atman and Brahman are totally wrong.

Are there any traditions or sects or whatever who try to reconcile Hinduism with Buddhism? What about Buddhism and other religions or philosophies? Can you be both a Buddhist and a Christian or Jew or Muslim?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is there a specific translation of the Dhammapada that anyone would like to recommend?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I wish to talk with you about music. Is there music that supports meditation? Is it even good to listen to music while meditating? Do you like music that can be considered meditative or "Buddhist-like"?

For example I find this track interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHTaCVTqolA It invokes a state of mind in me that can be called tranquil or attentive. By this I don't mean I pay attention to my surroundings more than usual (less actually, because I concentrate on the music), but I find it much easier to sink into this song than many other pieces of music.

I haven't yet tried to meditate while listening to it (or any other music for that matter). What could follow, some sort of state of trance? Could it be dangerous? Of course simply listening to music while laying on the sofa with one's eyes closed is pretty close to meditation, so maybe not much will change if I simply sit the way I do when I meditate.

I also like certain types of chants and singing. Is there music that can described as Buddhist, the way this song is Orthodox Christian? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXMfn-0VVdA And is there throat singing you'd recommend? I find it also pacifying and meditative.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Fuligin posted:

Is there a specific translation of the Dhammapada that anyone would like to recommend?

I've seen this translation get a lot of praise. It also comes with a good introduction by Bhikkhu Bodhi, which lends it a bit of weight as well.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Blue Star posted:

I apologize if this is a stupid question, so here goes: are Hinduism and Buddhism at all compatible? I know that Hindus believe in the atman and Brahman and Buddhists don't, but then again Daoists believe in the Dao and Shintos believe in kami, and yet there has been some synchronization between those religions and Buddhism. But Buddhism seems to contrast itself strongly with Hinduism, and a lot of stuff I read about Buddhism heavily emphasizes how the Hindu concepts of atman and Brahman are totally wrong.

Are there any traditions or sects or whatever who try to reconcile Hinduism with Buddhism? What about Buddhism and other religions or philosophies? Can you be both a Buddhist and a Christian or Jew or Muslim?

I don't know much about the intersection of Buddhism and Hinduism specifically but it's important to realize they're both "dharmic" religions(along with Jainism and maybe some other stuff). Buddhism was largely a reaction to Hinduism so for them to be compatible, in my eyes, means that they would have to be the same -- because they stake out claim over atman/anatman like you say.

As for Christianity, there are a lot of Christians who say they're Buddhist too but the perspective never made much sense to me and they've always come off mushy-minded and wishy-washy to me. How can you simultaneously believe in Heaven, Hell, the rebirth of Jesus Christ, and the existence of a God who is omniscient and omnipotent while believing there is no eternal "soul" or "self" to exist in the afterlife? It seems to me they're more willing to toss out Buddhist principles that don't mesh with their Christianity than to, say, toss out the idea of a God existing. But that's my personal prejudice showing :)

Dao means "the way" and it's actually pretty strongly compatible with Buddhism and doesn't make any strong claims that are difficult to reconcile. The Dao is like the river of change; it's actually in many ways a bit of an extrapolation of ideas that are already present in Buddhism. Existing, being present, and accepting -- those are the ways of the Dao and of Buddhism. In my understanding, at least.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 1, 2013

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

People who say they are Christian and Buddhist are usually either misunderstanding fundamental parts of either faith, or are simply choosing to ignore the parts of Buddhism that they don't like (rebirth and kamma, anatta, etc), while focusing on the more pleasing aspects like the paramis and the bramaviharas that are more compatible with theistic traditions.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Christianity also has a bit of judgmental punishment involved with the concept of "sin" -- rather than examining the karmic implications of action, the perspective is "these acts are an affront to God and you won't get into Heaven if you keep willfully sinning". As opposed to a karmic viewpoint where you might look at how the "sin" affects everything around it and what karmic impact it brings in the future, rather than projecting a specific impact onto it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ashgromnies posted:

Christianity also has a bit of judgmental punishment involved with the concept of "sin" -- rather than examining the karmic implications of action, the perspective is "these acts are an affront to God and you won't get into Heaven if you keep willfully sinning". As opposed to a karmic viewpoint where you might look at how the "sin" affects everything around it and what karmic impact it brings in the future, rather than projecting a specific impact onto it.

Not quite. The concept of "sin" is a lot more complicated than that, and different branches of Christianity have different views on that matter. Several other things you've implied in your post are only true in some of them. You might want to check out the Liturgical Christianity thread if you're interested in the details.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'm aware of literally nothing in Zen that would be diametrically opposed to Christian beliefs.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

my dad posted:

Not quite. The concept of "sin" is a lot more complicated than that, and different branches of Christianity have different views on that matter. Several other things you've implied in your post are only true in some of them. You might want to check out the Liturgical Christianity thread if you're interested in the details.

Yea I guess that's the other thing, Christians don't agree on anything, not even what the Bible says. So maybe you could be a Buddhist if you're a "Christian" who doesn't believe in God, Heaven, or Hell.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

The-Mole posted:

I'm aware of literally nothing in Zen that would be diametrically opposed to Christian beliefs.

There is (or was) a Catholic priest who was also a Roshi who used to give talks at the retreat center not far from where I used to live. Not sure how he reconiled it, or what the heirarchy thought of that - I always wanted to attend one of his talks, but never got the chance.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
There were apparently a number of Benedictine Brothers that were into Zen for quite a while. Including an abbot of a Benedictine monastery. Apparently with the full support of the Catholic heirarchy.

I was told this after turning up to a Zen group and jokingly asking them, 'How can I know you're not secretly a bunch of Benedictines dressed up as Zen practioners?'

A lot of contemplative sorts end up with a pretty serious brothery/sisterly feeling towards other contemplatives/contemplative traditions. As well as a lot of mutual curiosity, from what I gather.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Prickly Pete posted:

People who say they are Christian and Buddhist are usually either misunderstanding fundamental parts of either faith, or are simply choosing to ignore the parts of Buddhism that they don't like (rebirth and kamma, anatta, etc), while focusing on the more pleasing aspects like the paramis and the bramaviharas that are more compatible with theistic traditions.

While I agree that picking and choosing which parts of Bhuddism you like defeats the purpose (how do you even do Buddhist practice while ignoring anatta), how essential is believing in rebirth? I was raised with the idea "It's there, but just forget about it because you're living this life now" and now that I'm leaning more towards non-belief I still feel like the issue is neither here nor there. Believing in it because that would make me a Good Buddhist without really understanding it to be true just makes it feel like a convenient idea to cling to so I let it be for now, maybe it's something I will come to understand later in life. I'm not rejecting it but I also can't find a way to accept it with integrity. :shobon:

This article explains my feelings on the matter way better than I could: http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/articles/should-i-believe-in-rebirth/

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 2, 2013

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

PiratePing posted:

While I agree that picking and choosing which parts of Bhuddism you like defeats the purpose (how do you even do Buddhist practice while ignoring anatta), how essential is believing in rebirth? I was raised with the idea "It's there, but just forget about it because you're living this life now" and now that I'm leaning more towards non-belief I still feel like the issue is neither here nor there. Believing in it because that would make me a Good Buddhist without really understanding it to be true just makes it feel like a convenient idea to cling to so I let it be for now, maybe it's something I will come to understand later in life. I'm not rejecting it but I also can't find a way to accept it with integrity. :shobon:

This article explains my feelings on the matter way better than I could: http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/articles/should-i-believe-in-rebirth/

I think taking a wait and see attitude is probably fine. I know this debate comes up often, and it doesn't ever seem to resolve anything or change anyone's views.
The Buddha clearly teaches rebirth as a fairly integral part of the path, and does so often enough that I think it is important to at least consider as you progress.

That article by Gil Frondsal is kind of weak in my opinion. I have a lot of respect for Gil as a teacher, but saying "rebirth isn't present as much in the Sutta Nipata, therefore it isn't probably important" is a bit shortsighted, as it basically ignores the rest of the Pali Canon, which is massive. I do think however, that practicing with an open mind about rebirth is much better than taking an all-or-nothing approach, and abandoning the Dhamma because you can't accept the whole package all at once.

People Stew fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 2, 2013

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
It seems to me that usually people who have difficulty or reject the concept of rebirth do so because they haven't considered it further than a rather basic Western idea of reincarnation. That is, they see it as an individual person or being (me, you, whatever) being reborn in another form, thus retaining some kind of essence throughout numerous rebirths. Someone struggling with that should consider what rebirth means in a context where there is no intrinsic self, no essential being, no distinction between subject and object. Where "I" am only "I" because of a convenient collection of circumstances and parts, and where that same "I" is in fact also a circumstance and part in an infinitely greater series.

Rurik posted:

I wish to talk with you about music. Is there music that supports meditation? Is it even good to listen to music while meditating? Do you like music that can be considered meditative or "Buddhist-like"?

It depends on what you mean by meditation. I find some music can drop me extremely readily into a trance-state or a dissociative state, but that's mainly because I dissociate or trance out readily, that's the kind of brain I have. But dissociation or trance-state is not usually a goal of meditation. Because meditation often involves being more present in the moment, music that leads one into a trance is in fact problematic. A mind that retreats into itself is not experiencing rigpa/ordinary mind/unelaborated mind, it's simply becoming absent.

However, because music can be part of our surroundings, being present with music doesn't necessarily impair meditation, either. And I don't see how simple music, such as maybe just a rhythmic beat or a bell, couldn't serve as an external support or focus for meditation. The issue becomes when one uses complicated, complex, or especially aesthetically pleasing music, because this simply provides stimulation for the mind, encouraging it to grasp.

The mind grasps for things to think about, and part of meditation is training it not to grasp for stimulation.

The Ebene piece you posted is very heavily experiential, it induces an experience. One could meditate or reflect on it, but I wouldn't consider that a standard meditation. I mean, essentially Shamatha is meant to train the mind towards single-pointed concentration, after that meditation becomes either Vipassana when focused on a thing (such as a song, an idea, whatever) or something like Mahamudra if it's directed on just resting in the state of mind without fabrications. Meditating listening to music that seems meant to induce experiences is a form of contemplative meditation, though I wonder what is the motivation for doing that? If it is to realize the illusory and transient nature of experience, how it is arbitrary and can be induced artificially, that's awesome. If it's to have a good time having an experience, that's less awesome but still okay, just be wary of grasping.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PiratePing posted:

From what I understand, rebirth isn't reincarnation. Reincarnation is one-to-one: a single self becomes a new self. So with rebirth, it's more like a single being gives rise to many beings. A good analogy would be that when you die and your body decomposes, the organic molecules and chemical energy are recycled in the ecosystem, and help to give rise to new organisms. Similarly, think of all the things that have happened because you were alive. Think of all the things you've done and all the people you've met and affected. So, from both a biological standpoint and a purely causal standpoint, you have given rise to new things, and because effects cannot be separated from their causes, you are those things. And all of those effects will in turn affect other things and so on, so your existence is permanently stamped into the world, and the effects of your existence will continue even long after you're dead. Since we have no inherent existence, everything is ultimately connected and rather than being a separate entity you are intimately a part of the greater whole.

I could be wrong about that, though. I'm more of a pantheist than a pure Buddhist, anyway.

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 2, 2013

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
In a passage from The Nectar of Manjusri's Speech by Kunzang Pelden, the mechanism of rebirth is discussed.

Kunzang Pelden posted:

The length of time spent in the human world is the result of past karma. When this is exhausted, as the final moment of human consciousness ends, it creates the immediate cause [of the new life], whiel the karma that brings about birth in a hell realm, or whatever, constitutes the cooperative cause. Wherever people are subsequently born, whether in hell or elsewhere, they have at death a human body, whereas at birth, they will have the body of a hell being and so on. In other words, the previous consciousness now terminated is that of a human, whiel at the moment of the later birth, the consciousness is that of a hell being. The two are thus distinct. When the body and mind of a human come to an end, the mind and body of the following life come into being. it is not that there is a movement or transmigration of something from a former to a subsequent state. As it is said:

Like recitation, flame, and looking glass,
Or seal or lens, seed, sound, astringent taste,
The aggregates continue in their seamless course,
Yet nothing is transferred, and this the wise should know.

When, for example, one uses a lamp to light another lamp, the later flame cannot be lit without dependence on the first; but at the same time, the first flame does not pass into the second one. If the earlier entity is terminated, however, and the later one arises in such a way that the two are quite separate, it will be objected that, in that case, the effect of former actions is necessarily lost, while (in the course of the subsequent existence) karmic effects will be encountered that have not been accumulated. But this is not so. Phenomenal appearances - which arise ineluctably through the interdependence of causal conditions - cannot withstand analysis. They lie beyond the scope of both the eternalist and nihilist positions. The assertion that karmic effects are not lost is a special feature of the Buddhist teachings. it lies within the exclusive purview of an omniscient mind, and it is thus to be accepted through reliance on the word of the Conqueror.
As it is said:

What arises in dependence on another
Is not at all that thing itself -
But neither is it something else:
There is no break, there is no permanence

All we have are relatively imputed terms. While being neither identical nor different [earlier and later moments of consciousness] appear. Consciousness manifests in different ways according to karma, whether good or bad. But in itself, it consists of moments of mere knowing, clear and cognizant, arising uninterruptedly in like kind. The notions of permanence of discontinuity do not apply to it. Thus the results of karma are not lost, and one never encounters karmic effects that have not been accumulated.

If, on a more subtle level, one considers the momentary nature of phenomena, everything in the outer or inner sphere consists of point instants. The earlier moment ceases and the later one supervenes so that the one is distinct from the other. Likewise, when the karma for remaining in the human state provides the circumstances, and the final moment of consciousness [in that state] provides the cause, the following moment of consciousness comes to birth and arises in like kind. But the two moments are separate.

This brings to end a lengthy discussion on the part of Kunzang Pelden on the practice of equalizing self and other, as described in Shantideva's "Way of the Bodhisattva," wherein he elaborates on the faultiness of the concept of "I" and "other" and demonstrates the futility of such differentiation, and how establishing the equality of self and other as both being interdependent beings arisen of causes makes it absurd to pronounce a distinction, just as we might not make a distinction between cells in our liver and cells in our arm. We do not say "these cells in my arm are not me, but the cells in my liver are me" or so on. Rather, we see them all as one being. But still, it is possible to make a distinction between those cells, such that the cells in the liver demonstrably are different from those in the arm. Sentient beings are much the same, where there is no rational basis for differentiation of "I" from "you" based on any intrinsic properties, but it is readily possible to do so based on superficial appearances. "I" am no more distinct from "you" than my liver is distinct from my arm: superficially there are differences, but in general they both constitute "I."

Thus with rebirth, to say one being migrates from one state to another is not correct. There is no one being to migrate to another being. There is no "I" to be passed on to become a new "I." Rather, one "I" ceases, another "I" arises, but karma perpetuates in that karma produces the causes and conditions of a new arising, and so on.

It's a bit of an awkward topic I fear, and I know I have not explained it perfectly. Still, I hope that the explanation provides some clarification, and if that fails, that the passage from Kunzang Pelden's commentary, removed from context as it is, provides it better.

That particular piece of commentary is included as an appendix to the translation of Bodhicharyavatara that I recommended earlier in the thread, which can be purchased here.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 2, 2013

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I died a mineral and became a plant.
I died a plant and became an animal.
I died an animal and became man.
Why should I fear death? When was I ever any less by dying?

Rumi

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
This thread can be so drat good sometimes. Nice job on those last few posts, people.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

he1ixx posted:

This thread can be so drat good sometimes. Nice job on those last few posts, people.

This thread is an inspiring example of cross-tradition dialogue and I'm glad you are all keeping it alive. This situation very often turns to doctrinal bickering and I'm glad to see very little of that.

Also, am I the only Theravada practitioner here? I mainly attend a Thai Forest Tradition center that is a kind of branch center of the Ajahn Chah/Ajahn Sumedho lineage. Although my practice has fallen off lately as I struggle with some issues that are keeping me mentally clouded.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Paramemetic posted:

Meditating listening to music that seems meant to induce experiences is a form of contemplative meditation, though I wonder what is the motivation for doing that? If it is to realize the illusory and transient nature of experience, how it is arbitrary and can be induced artificially, that's awesome. If it's to have a good time having an experience, that's less awesome but still okay, just be wary of grasping.

It's because I want to get deep into the music. I think I tend to listen to the music too superficially, since I rarely take the time to just lie down and listen to it. Usually it's on the background. Sometimes I listen to it when I commute. Therefore I think I may miss something important, especially in an experimental piece such as Ebene. And if listening to it while laying down and concentrating on it is good, it follows that meditating to it is even better.

I also like the idea of relaxation that could bring, since I'm sometimes anxious and stressed. Trance also intrigues me.

I know that if I have too little time for music it means I cram my schedule too full. There's the gym five times a week, there are books to be read, I'm learning a language and on top of that I play video games or watch tv series. And all that is just on free time. I know a Buddhist would say those are all attachments. In fact I'm actually trying to kick a stupid habit partly because it's attachment and partly because it consumes time.

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
In zen (i don't know about other practices), meditation is about leaving, losing ; it's about stopping to attach to things and thoughts, whatever they are. It seems to me that it is contradictory to listen to music in that context : it's just something more to cling to, and believe me, you have enough things to cling to already with your own mind and body alone, no need to add more, especially during a practice that aims to lessen those attachments !

If i were you (and luckily for you i'm not, ahah), i would just listen to music when i want to listen to music, and meditate when i want to meditate. You don't have to get things mixed up. Of course you can use concentration techniques to listen to music, that's not a problem at all ; but i would not call that meditation anymore.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I agree with Ugrok.

If you were simply looking for music that might promote a sense of tranquility, and if you could put up with new-agey pieces, I'd probably suggest Deuter's Wind and Mountain and Nada Himilaya as possibilities. A judgement about what makes you feel peaceful is inherently going to be incredibly subjective, and those albums aren't Buddhist in any sense whatever, but they are what would come to mind as possible leads.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Does mainstream Buddhism consider the disabled as people being justly punished for misdeeds in their past life, or is that just the more extreme sects?

edited for clarity

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Does mainstream Buddhism consider the disabled as people being justly punished for misdeeds in their past life, or is that just the more extreme sects?

edited for clarity

Nobody gets "punished," that is not how it works. However, nothing happens without a "cause." But it is terribly wrong view to think "oh, a person was born blind, they must have been bad and they deserve it!" Still, there is an understanding that they must have somehow had the cause of being born blind, and yet, that does not make them any different than us. Different circumstances and causes, different outcomes, still a sentient being with a Buddha-nature. Thinking about things in that way is not correct.

There are sects that avoid attempting to ease the suffering of the disabled, and so on, due to the idea that it is their karmic consequence that they should suffer for past deeds, and if they don't suffer now, they will "get theirs" eventually. This is misguided. I was once asked if it seemed wrong to pray for the easing of suffering of sick people because they have karmically "earned" being sick. I pointed out that if someone eases their suffering, then they were karmically able to have their suffering healed, as well. Karma is not "reward and punishment." It is simply cause and effect.

In the introduction to that Shantideva book I've referred to so often lately (I apologize, I've been really into it, and like many good books it tends to be beautifully on point on a variety of topics), it says:

quote:

Thus, for Shantideva, as with the Buddhist tradition in general, in the education of the mind - our own minds - fear and the dread of the consequences of evil are tools as legitimate as those of enthusiasm and encouragement. It is in this spirit of mental training that Shantideva places before us the unpalatable facts of human existence: its fragility, its impermanence, the certainty and horrible realities of death, and the possibility, if not probability, of post-mortem suffering in infernal torment. Perhaps it is because the stakes are so high that he tears away so mercilessly the pretenses and facile optimisms with which we veil the facts, trying to convince ourselves that "after all, things are not so bad." To those new to Buddhadharma, it often comes as a surprise that in a tradition which places such a high premium on love and compassion, so much attention should be given to the sufferings of the lower states: those of animals, of hungry ghosts, and of beings in hell. The scriptures and commentaries abound in detailed descriptions, and Buddhist iconography can be horrifyingly explicit. To the unprepared Westerner, the shock is often severe. And no doubt through an overhasty comparison with similar themes (rightly or wrongly understood), as these have played themselves out in the history of European and Near Eastern religious thought, the Buddhist ideas are not infrequently dismissed as being of morbid and sadistic origin.

Superficial similarity, however, masks a radical difference. According to Buddhist teaching, the definition of moral good or evil is made exclusively in terms of cause and effect. An act is considered evil, negative, nonvirtuous, or sinful not because it is a transgression of a divinely ordained principle, laid down by the creator of the universe, but because it is productive of suffering in this or future existences. Virtue, on the other hand, is that which brings about happiness and tends to spiritual development. The experiences of the infernal states are the ineluctable result of evil attitudes and actions. Whether or not the modern Westerner wishes to believe in the existence of infernal realms is in a sense beside the point. Every evil and unwholesome action simply brings forth suffering; and it hardly matter whether one conceives of this in the picturesque terms of Dante's inferno, or shares the view of Jean-Paul Sartre that "hell is other people." Nevertheless, it is important to grasp that the idea of an eternal damnation as a punishment for sin is foreign to Buddhist understanding. Suffering is a consequence of one's own action, not a retribution inflicted by an external power. Infernal torments, moreover, though they may last for aeons, belong to samara and are not exempt from the law of impermanence. And even if the notion of a divine vengeance is regarded as an approximation, in mythological terms, to the concept of karmic consequences, it is perhaps worth suggesting that the impersonal view proposed by Buddhism should have the advantage of exorcizing the paralyzing sense of guilt, or revolt, that can so often be the outcome of a too anthropomorphic theism. The doctrine of karma has only one message: the experience of states of being follows upon the perpetration of acts. We are the authors of our own destiny; and being the authors, we are ultimately, perhaps frighteningly, free.

In some regards, one might consider that a person born with a disability is in fact still quite virtuous, he or she must be, to be born as a human being in the first place. Even a human being born in the worst of circumstances, with no good fortune at all, is at least born as a human being and not as an animal or hungry ghost or hell being, with far greater suffering. That is not to diminish at all the suffering of such an unfortunate being, but there certainly should be no judgment in our treatment of a person with a disability. They are a suffering being, just as we all are in samsara, and we should treat them with the kindness we'd show our own mother. Their past transgressions are no matter. Those things are gone and done.

Edit: This is a topic close to my mind, because I work with people with psychiatric disabilities, and specifically with people who are especially reviled by society. I work in a residential treatment center for juveniles, and my particular unit is a unit for juvenile sex offenders. Many of them are themselves victims of abuse and horrible neglect as children, many of them are themselves having psychiatric illness predating their offenses. Many are MR/DD, or have a variety of crippling psychiatric conditions. I also volunteer as an EMT, and through that see other people who have suffered terrible illnesses and disabilities. But it is not right to say "oh, they are being punished." That's such an utterly foreign thought to Buddhism that it's practically anathema, almost difficult to refute exactly because the very fundamental principle, the idea of karma as a punitive or rewarding force, is not accurate. It's so alien as to be difficult to address coherently, so I hope the passage I've provided, and my own thoughts, were helpful here.

Edit2: I also know that there are places in the world where the disabled are treated poorly because of this exact line of thought. I believe someone in E/N posted a thread recently where they did a scholarship opportunity thing to get world experiences where they volunteered with the disabled in I believe Burma, and recall them citing the Buddhist ideology there as a reason why the suffering were basically neglected. I do not know if this is typical of Theravada, or typical of the region. While I know it goes on, my understanding is that it is wrong view that causes this. But to that end I'd say that Buddhism is a very deep philosophical religion and in many places where it is practiced culturally, the depth of understanding is pretty limited by the lay population. Similar to how any given Catholic may not be able to go into detail on the ins and outs of Neo-Platonic philosophy on the development of doctrine of transubstantiation, any given lay Buddhist in a region may or may not be able to detail the nature of karmic consequences. This is not to demean or diminish those practitioners, but merely to point out why such a lack of compassion might be present in a Buddhist community. Not every Buddhist is a Buddha, and this is why Buddhist communities sometimes fight wars, or shun the disabled, or so on. We're all beings in samsara, and subject to the pernicious influence of the kleshas.

Edit3: TRIPLE EDIT.

What I've written here and quoted here is applicable to Mahayana. It was pointed out to me that "mainstream Buddhism" isn't really a great phrase, as there are several sects and none is more "Buddhist" than the other (with the potential claim by provenance that Theravada is more Buddhist because it's more closely what the historical Buddha taught historically). I don't know the Theravadan answer to this question. Perhaps Prickly Pete can shed some light on this?

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 5, 2013

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

I'l think about putting something together when I get home from work. On skimming what you wrote, I think you did a pretty thorough job though.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rurik posted:

It's because I want to get deep into the music. I think I tend to listen to the music too superficially, since I rarely take the time to just lie down and listen to it. Usually it's on the background. Sometimes I listen to it when I commute. Therefore I think I may miss something important, especially in an experimental piece such as Ebene. And if listening to it while laying down and concentrating on it is good, it follows that meditating to it is even better.

I also like the idea of relaxation that could bring, since I'm sometimes anxious and stressed. Trance also intrigues me.

I know that if I have too little time for music it means I cram my schedule too full. There's the gym five times a week, there are books to be read, I'm learning a language and on top of that I play video games or watch tv series. And all that is just on free time. I know a Buddhist would say those are all attachments. In fact I'm actually trying to kick a stupid habit partly because it's attachment and partly because it consumes time.

Just do it if it feels right. People talking about attachment are full of attachment to their own righteous opinions. There are cd's and tracks of Tibetan deep-voice chanters who can take you right into nirvana with that vibration.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone in this thread experienced ego death through meditation? I've heard of ego death happening in sensory deprivation chambers and through the use of psychedelics, but since this is a Buddhism thread let's just stick to meditation. I've never been in deep meditation, but I've come to understand that your sense of time slows down and you lose at least some sense of individuality because you're concentrating on the present moment. Is this true, and is it possible to lose all sense of "I" while in a deep state of meditation?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Yes, you might say that's the end goal really. Well, penultimate goal since I know a pedant will come in and say "freedom from suffering is the ultimate goal!". Much of my meditative practise, on a personal level is colored by the pursuit of ego death. Something about that experience, that feeling speaks to me, very rarely has it been something I've reached- but it's been reached a few times. I would say that while I sat those times I lost all connection to ego- categorically this is false because I retained enough of a sliver that it tethered me to the world like an anchor. Evident given my lack of enlightenment and persistence of ego. However, from my own close experiences, and lesser experiences where the jnanas were tangible to me, I would say tha it is possible. It requires practised and deep meditation.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Just do it if it feels right. People talking about attachment are full of attachment to their own righteous opinions. There are cd's and tracks of Tibetan deep-voice chanters who can take you right into nirvana with that vibration.

I don't mean to provoke, but this is something which requires a large caveat: Something shouldn't be done because it feels right. The mind is something which is very easily conditioned to attach and cling to concepts- things will arise in such a manner as to seem right, but this is a fallacious concept: Such things that arise are devoid of this. They are empty.

A big thing to understand is that music in the context of the vinaya is a dukkata- a suffering generating thing that shakyamuni recommended monastics avoid because it would root them too much to worldly affairs. As for the tibetan throat singing CDs? Those are prayers meant to be heard to generate uplifting karma for listeners, not music meant to be danced to or for the enjoyment of the monks. Tibetan monastic "music" or use of instruments or offering songs aren't melodious or meant to be enjoyed as such. Nor are they meant to "take you right into nirvana."

It is interesting to note that some bon traditions have involved parables sung to people, but that's not really buddhism.

This isn't me disparaging music, I am of firm belief that while music is something you can become strongly attached to quite easily- it can also be something that can be used as expedient means. If you are really distracted by outside sounds then a fairly unbusy nonmelodious music can be helpful to train yourself to be a better meditator. I also feel that in some circumstances music can be a destructive force for the ego and help to sublimate the ego.

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 6, 2013

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Blue Star posted:

Has anyone in this thread experienced ego death through meditation? I've heard of ego death happening in sensory deprivation chambers and through the use of psychedelics, but since this is a Buddhism thread let's just stick to meditation. I've never been in deep meditation, but I've come to understand that your sense of time slows down and you lose at least some sense of individuality because you're concentrating on the present moment. Is this true, and is it possible to lose all sense of "I" while in a deep state of meditation?

Jhanas are basically stages or degrees of this.

Yes, it is absolutely possible, though people often/fortunately are careful not to talk too much about the content of meditative experience, so as to allow everyone to discover for themselves at their own pace.

Why do you ask?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

So it's not a punishment, but it is a direct consequence of their previous actions?