Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

It really works both ways. On one hand, it's important to be accessible. There's nothing necessarily essential or magic about the original language this stuff comes from.

At the same time, the more you translate the more subtle (and not so subtle) differences you make. That's just the nature of language, there are differences even in words that seem to literally translate because they developed in different places. Some of those differences can really screw someone up.

I'm learning an Asian language at the moment. You know what words don't really literally translate over?

"friend"
"no"

Let alone something like "suffering."

We can all go in with the agreement that, when we say a word like suffering we really mean something different but, if English is your native language theres a lot of subtle stuff attached to that word that we're still going to associate with it even if we're not all that aware of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Oh there are words for no. I just meant that the closest equivalents aren't exactly the same. There's a word that means "I do not agree/that isn't true" and another for "I don't have/it doesn't exist" that, for the most part are "no."

It's just not entirely interchangeable.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

If anyones interested, it's Buddha's birthday this Friday here in Korea (and probably other countries, too.)

So, make of it what you will, and happy Buddha's Birthday everyone!

Edit: and it was a good one

Hope it was nice for everyone else.

Can anyone comment on the purpose and significance of bowing and prostrating to statues?

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 17, 2013

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

What does Korean Buddhism fall under? My first time in a Korean Buddhist temple a lay practitioner described the prostrating to me as something to bring good favor. Her English was limited though, so I couldn't get more than a basic answer.

I took part in it last weekend but feel a little like maybe I shouldn't have, without understanding it more.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Seeing Eye Duck posted:

and practicing Tai Chi (Yes I know)

What's that supposed to mean? :colbert: