Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

The Dark Wind posted:

Have you considered checking out the Shambhala Center? Perhaps the fact that it was founded by Trungpa Rinpoche might bother you, but all the craziness and alcoholism from the 70's is virtually nonexistent. I attend the Shambhala Center over in Boston and it's full of incredible, brilliant, and warm people with tremendous hearts who really know their dharma. It's very practice oriented, but through their retreats and classes you'll eventually be exposed to a combination of the Shambhala terma and Buddhism. I'd highly recommend it, if the Vajrayana is a path that interests you.

We belong to a small Shambhala sangha near our rural hometown and the people there are aces. Kind, sweet and not to woo-woo. That has been our experience with meeting people from other Shambhala sanghas too. We've been to NYC for a class and Philly too. It's also pretty approachable which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
This is pretty old but gives some indication about the NKT weirdness and how we got here. I know the whole NKT comes up once in a while and this info isn't usually all in one place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp0N72-uv58

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Pancakes by Mail posted:

And finally a question about Zen Buddhism - my local Zen group seems to emphasize that it does not conflict with any belief system, and can be fully practiced by people who are also Christians, Muslims, atheists, what have you. Does Zen Buddhism do away with belief in rebirth? What about karma? Zen seems appealing but I also don't think I'm looking for a tradition that removes crucial elements of the Buddha's teaching. I believe Zen also incorporates many elements of Taoism, correct? This also gives me pause.

Well written set of questions. Thanks for posting.

Zen doesn't do away with rebirth or karma but it places less emphasis on them. Zen doesn't deny that those things exist but Zen practitioners (from what I've found) focus more on the present moment and acting appropriately. Your karma is your karma, how you react to things as they arise in each moment is what generates your future karma i.e. if you act with compassion and kindness in every moment, your future karma is taking care of, so to speak. So zen focuses on the present moment and being fully aware. Rebirth, since it is part of the Mahayana, is also part of the Zen tradition but again, it is downplayed because if you life a good life as a good person, you'll have a good rebirth. In all of these things, the real focus is to be present and follow the teachings here and now. The other things take care of themselves. At least that's how I understand it.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

The Dark Wind posted:

Hey guys! I'm moving to NYC in September, and I'm wondering if any of you know some good dharma centers in the area, preferably in Manhattan or Brooklyn? I'm looking specifically for places that practice Tibetan Buddhism, preferably Kagyu or Nyingma but I'm interested in Gelug too. I've been with Shambhala for the last year or so, and while I love the practices and will probably keep doing retreats with them, I'd love to find a place where I can have direct access to a lama and learn from them if possible. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I listened to a few older podcasts by the Interdependence Project that were ok. Ethan Nichtern (a shastri from Shambhala) was one of their teachers and he started it. It seemed like a nice crowd back then but I'm not sure how it is now. It might be worth a shot. It was a much more secular peek into the Buddhist viewpoint when I last checked in.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Paramemetic posted:

It's something close to "ka jyoo". Kagyu is an approximate English spelling, the wylie for the Tibetan is bka'brgyud, so a lot of Americans will pronounce a hard G, but it's actually a soft G with a Y after, a lot like "George."

I didn't know this. Thanks :)

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Despite having him on ignore, I have been piecing together what our ol pal OCHS has been spewing in this thread from people's quotes. I would recommend everyone to set him to ignore so he goes away again. He needs help but it's clear after three long and painful episodes in this thread, he won't get the help he needs. For those who think he's interesting, let me sum up:

- He openly advocated in the past that people taking medication to help them avoid depression stop taking it because "its all the mind, mannnnn", the power of meditation and positive thinking is all you need. He doesn't consider that maybe the clear thinking brought about by meditation would lead you to medicine to help you but hey, the thought processing only goes so deep with this guy

- He openly hates women. That should be enough to shun him right there but in case you still find him "interesting"....

- He openly states he is enlightened while displaying the most un-enlightened. confused, muddled thinking ever dumped in this thread.

- He doesn't read and attempt to understand what people are asking when they try to dig into what he says. He will either attack or divert when proven wrong. It is a vicious cycle which people feed because they are trying to be nice. Enough's enough.

It's really not helpful to anyone, including him, for him to post here. I get that we want to help people and be kind but maybe the best way to be kind to this guy (who is obviously in a lot of mental pain), is to tell him to get some help and then ignore him until he goes away. He feeds off of the attention and I'd suggest not giving it to him, for his sake, if not for the sakes of people who come here with legitimate questions looking for non-batshit answers.

Sorry we're going through this again.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Max posted:

I understand. I'm newish to this thread, so I wasn't aware of the history. I've met other practitioners in real life who had the same problems, so I sort of figured that was going on, but I didn't slam the ignore button until the hating women thing came out.

Anyway

It's no problem at all. I understand what it must be like to people seeing this fellow for the first time. He seems like he knows what he's talking about at first but once you push back on some of it, his defense mechanism teeters between disdain and arrogance. He's definitely not good for this thread which is meant to cater to people looking for guidance, education, patience and help. His circular logic, obtuse "i'm enlightened so I can't be expected to make sense" and rants help no one.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Paramemetic posted:

Conventionally, there is mind. Absolutely, there is no mind. While at some level it is useful to recognize that mind itself is emptiness, this is in fact a problem when it leads to nihilism. "There is no mind" is a nihilistic statement that is not helpful, despite, on an absolute level, being true.

By way of demonstrating this, take the statement "there is no mind." This is a conceptual statement, possessing subject and object and dualistic reasoning (existence and non-existence). A conceptual thought is thought by a conventional mind, therefore in order to make the statement "there is no mind" there must be a mind.

Neveretheless, the mind that thinks "there is no mind" cannot be found anywhere. Thoughts come and go like clouds in the sky, rising and falling without permanence and based only on interdependent origination. Because the conventional mind is impermanent and arises only based on causes and conditions, it cannot be said to exist absolutely.

This is a muddled topic because "mind" is a tricky word that can refer to many things in English and lacks nuance. It could be referring to the conventional mind, the mind of this samsaric being, or it could be referring to the Dharmadatu and Dharmakaya of which all phenomena are projections, and which is itself ultimately an expression of emptiness.

So I would say, don't worry about it. Practice meditation, these things will become more clear with a stable mind. In my tradition, Shamatha is a practice of stabilizing the mind, and from this mental stability one can naturally gain recognition of Mahamudra or Rigpa, seeing impermanent by pointing the calm-abiding mind at itself and recognizing its empty nature. But that does not arise based on doing a technique right, or putting in so many hours to level up your meditating, but rather the fruits come when the conditions are ripe. We ripen conditions by practicing, so practice, and don't worry so much about things like "is mind emptiness or is mind real." You know the answers to these things academically (though I suspect Pete and I have wildly different understandings of the academic teachings due to differences in tradition), so knowing that, just practice.

I have recently transcribed a teaching by my guru that I will share when I get a moment that I think speaks to this topic however.

This is a great post. I'd also say "don't worry so much about jhanas" either. And if you don't know what a jhana is you're a step ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

goodness posted:

I have started to look into Meditation, found this thread via the small questions. I have a copy of Mindfulness in Plain English otw and working on listening to AudioDharma. My world outlook has really been changing lately and I have started to feel like a new person almost. Everything just feels right.

It's pretty cool how that happens. It takes a while and that's good. Meditation sometimes take a while to sink in. I know it did for me.