Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Quantumfate posted:

But the dilemma is that in this instance you are perfectly poised to help a sentient being- Should you intervene on behalf of the ant? On behalf of the spider? Should you remain inactive and simply say Manis and Mantras to help the ant attain a different birth and to help the spider who causes suffering with a necessary act?

I was in a somewhat analogous situation a few years ago. I worked at an arboretum which, due to the large expanses of 'natural' habitat within a city, was home to 'wild' animals. In June of that year, we started seeing a fox with mange who we watched die over several weeks. The arboretum's policy was "let nature take its course". I asked the director and was given the option to catch it, take it to the vet, and pursue treatment, but it was all on me.

Consulting with my spiritual friend, his advice was that by interfering with the foxes life, I would be intervening in another sentient beings karma. He asked if I willing to do that and accept the results? Did I understand the causes and conditions that led to this situation well enough to say "This situation is wrong and I must do something"? Was my desire to step in out of true compassion or idiot compassion?

HTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Paramemetic posted:

In Tibet where some practices involve hundreds of thousands of prostrations there are additional counters that attach right to the mala to let you keep track of way many more numbers. So yeah. The mala is a tool. It's a religious tool, and often blessed, but it is a tool regardless, so feel free to use it as such.

Also in Tibet they are sometimes used for divination and decision making so there's that. It's really a very utilitarian device. I guess as long as you're not using it to count murders or something it's fine. The only exception I can think of is mala consecrated for use in deity yoga, which need treated with respect throughout the practice at least.

I've been told that a practitioner should be aware of what the mala is made of: certain materials shouldn't be used for certain practices. For example, a bone mala shouldn't be used in particular Sadhanas.

I'm going to Tibet next month and visiting the former seats of the Kagyu and Sakya lineages as well as other cities and sites. Is there anything I should be aware of with regard to etiquette specific to monastery visits or Tibet in general?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

khysanth posted:

I'd really like to try one of these retreats but with a wife who doesn't meditate using all my vacation days for a year for it seems pretty unreasonable. :(

There are plenty of opportunities for shorter retreats, albeit not in that particular style. For example, the Shambhala Center of Seattle offers a summer retreat in the city that people are allowed to attend only part of if that's all they're able.

It's not an all or nothing thing, and any kind of deepening experience is well worth it. Even a two day weekend program is helpful.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Quantumfate posted:

Pema Chondrup, big western buddhist writer.

Do you mean Pema Chodron?

Speaking of books, could anyone recommend a book that my dad and I could read together on an upcoming nine day trip? Specifically something that we could do a short reading and contemplation daily. For background, I've been engaged with Buddhist thought for several years via the Shambhala curriculum, and he has done some meditation but is a beginner when it comes to Buddhist philosophy. Thank you in advance.

Edit: We'll be in Tibet, so something from one of the Tibetan schools might be nice.

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 9, 2013

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

The Dark Wind posted:

I attend a Shambhala center weekly and the leader of the group usually refers to the practice as Samatha, although lately I've also been visiting a Zen center and practicing Zazen.

You're right, the main meditation practice at Shambhala Centers is shamatha and it is the core of everything from weekly open houses to month long retreats. Even when vipassana is taught, the practice is to always begin and end with shamatha.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Rurik posted:

If it's not compassion towards animals that causes me to suffer because of their suffering I don't know what is. Suffering of animals causes me these negative emotions because I care about them, how else could it be?

Hmm. When I think about suffering of animals and people, that kind of wish does not follow. Instead what follows is this choking thought or feeling: "I can't do anything about this suffering, it exists and it is awful but nothing can be done about it. Looking at it will only drown me under it." So it's best to try to look away, even though I know it continues to exist.

For example one memory from my visit to Russia causes me grief still, even though it was 2,5 years ago. It was a hot spring day, maybe even +30 Celsius and I was walking outside under a balcony when I heard a strange noise. Three hours later I was walking the same way and this noise came again. I looked up and there was a beautiful big cockatoo on the balcony, straight in the sun, in a cage way too small. I felt devastated. For how long had it been in the sun without food or water in that too small cage? And what could I do to save it? I contemplated going to the door, knocking and offering to buy the poor animal from the owner (if they were home), but what then? There was nowhere I could take it, I didn't even live in Russia and if I released it to the wild it would've most probably died.

:smith:

Thinking about suffering of others and how they shouldn't suffer comes much easier for me than thinking the same things about myself. Also, I originally started meditating to cope with my anxiety, so I haven't dared to meditate on thoughts that might cause me anxiety very much. But I feel I might be ready for that too bit by bit.

Heh, I've teetered on the verge of that slope too many times. I've just been too compassionate to slide down it. Could you point me some reading about this Joyful Heart of Sadness? Googling it brought up nothing. I'm very interested in hearing about it, since nowhere have I been able to read about this particular cause for my suffering.

It's called the genuine heart of sadness, not joyful.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

Also, the whole conception of salvation being necessary is kinda non-Buddhist. I mean, original sin? Heck naw dawg, only cause and effect.

Is it possible that the fact we all possess Buddha nature/primordial purity is actually the complete opposite of original sin?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Mambold posted:

Do you know for a fact we all possess Buddha nature?

First find your own buddha nature, then surprise, surprise. The enlightened mind is neither buddhist nor christian because those are at best, belief methodologies. free means free.

Yes.

It's not that hard to experience, if you use the proper technology.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

ObamaCaresHugSquad posted:

Do you possess it like you possess your own hand? Do you experience it like you experience typing on your computer?

Do you possess your own hand?

Interesting questions, I'm curious.

I do posses Buddha nature like I posses my own hand because, in fact, I posses no hand. There is a hand that exists in tandem with a body that is the seat of this consciousness. I neither posses this hand, nor does the hand posses me. My experience of Buddha nature is the same -- it exists in tandem with (not within) my body and consciousness.

I do not experience Buddha nature like I experience typing on my computer. Typing on my computer is a primarily cognitive then mechanical experience. My awareness is purposefully directed towards an object (getting them words out) and the vast majority of sense impressions are ignored. My experience of Buddha nature has come when I let go of any object or technique completely and have an experience of wearing my sense perceptions like a costume. I can not will that experience to occur, so it is different than my experience of typing.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

I just realized that you are this thread's Bengali Tea Boy!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

Yes and it's awesome. I'm on my phone right now but I'll hopefully remember to get you some material on that.

Edit:

Examinations and the Organization of Debate
Procedures and Rules of Debate

The debate is basically a formalized procedure where they are questioned on and have to prove points pertaining to texts or ideas. There's a pretty neat accompanying "martial art" that involves gestures and clapping when points are "scored."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77BR567yEMM

All in all it's a pretty neat aspect of Tibetan Buddhism. So far as I know, it does not appear in any other forms of Buddhist study.

I was there a few months ago and it is a super vibrant exchange happening between at least 100 monks. Some monks are only practicing the firm while others are actively debating. It's interesting because it's very much a tourist destination at this point, but they have done it exactly the same regardless of season for hundreds of years. Good stuff.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Blue Star posted:

Even when you die, there will still be the arising of perception, sensation, and so on. You may die, but again, you were just a string moment-to-moment happenings, and those moment-to-moment events of sadness, joy, anger, sight, hearing, touch, taste, lust, boredom, and so on, will still occur elsewhere. It's like if a baseball game comes to an end, there is still the concept of baseball, and there are still other baseball games being played. That particular baseball game, which took place at THAT field on THAT afternoon with THOSE exact players and THOSE exact spectators, ceased. But baseball continues elsewhere. So YOU, as a particular arrangement of sensation, perception, etc. will cease, but sensation and perception and so on will continue elsewhere. There will be new arising of happiness, fear, arousal, and what not.

Is this really it? Does the metaphor hold true? Serious question, as rebirth isn't anything I have yet studied. I have experienced the inquiry that you talked about before this and came to the same conclusions. This seems deceptively simple, though.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

I mean, let's say you have a teacher who has legitimate lineage and suddenly goes off his rocker and makes claims similar to those of a certain poster in this thread. At what point does the Buddhist community exclude this guy, and how does that happen?

The example of the Vajra Regent, Osel Tendrel, would make a good case study.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

I have a question about the Noble Eightfold Path and something somewhat problematic to me about it. "Right" is thrown around without qualifying it. What makes those actions described right? How are they qualified as being the correct way to view/think/act/etc?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

ashgromnies posted:

It's inaccurate to say they aren't qualified. Maybe if you read a list of them they aren't, but original Pali suttas describe them in depth.

I admit that my practice is not based in sutta study. This is new territory for me, back to fundamentals. Thank you for the links and bare with me as I ask a few questions.

After reading, my cursory and perhaps wrong understanding is that the "right"-ness of the Noble Eightfold Path comes from: the claim that the described actions alleviate 'stress'(suffering?); and are not born of hate, greed, or delusion. Is that the short of it?

If so, I don't understand it. How can it be that taking life is unequivocally born of hatred, greed, or delusion? Taking life is an absolutely fundamental piece of human's existence on earth. Without the practice of taking life, none of us would be here. Even the most avowed vegan takes the life of plants and bacterial organisms regularly - where is the arbitrary line drawn? To go against taking life is to go against the same forces that gave rise to my life.

Further, I don't understand how it is even possible to eliminate taking life. I feel similarly to other things described on the list: greed, causing harm, anxiety, sexual misconduct. It seems as if these are inherent to existence. While it's a good idea to shave the edge off here and there, suggesting that acting in such ways are 'wrong' and need to be wiped out seems to be unrealistic.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

Firstly, taking life typically is regarded as referring to that of sentient beings. The definition there varies, but it is generally accepted to be "things that look like they suffer." It's not a very scientifically rigorous taxonomy, and yet it works because we tend to empathize naturally. So like, bugs, for example, are sentient, because when a bug is trapped in a spider's web, it looks like it is suffering. When a bug's leg is off, it looks like it is suffering. Bacteria? Not so much. Fish? They look like they suffer when we fish them up, so yes they are sentient. And so on.

Thanks for your reply. I've been reading the thread for a while and really appreciate your posting style!

I also appreciate your acknowledgement of the arbitrary and emotionally charged nature of "these lives are more valuable because they're more human like so we empathize".

quote:

Taking life is an act of hatred, greed, or delusion because there are no circumstances I can think of that one would need to kill that do not involve that. Killing for food? Greed - why is your life worth more than the lives of your prey? Delusion - why do we tend to think the lives of predators are worth more than those of prey? We're all the same. And so on.

Can we talk this through? I want to live my life and alleviate the suffering of beings and reduce cruelty. This desire to live is inborn in every living thing, including predators and prey. If I am attacked by someone who has the intention of killing me, I will defend myself as a matter of deep instinct as a gazelle will attempt to defend themselves from a lion. Further, if someone attacks those who I love, I will defend them to the death if necessary. While perhaps it is delusional to rank my beloved's life as more important than a murderer, it also seems that I become very untrustworthy if I'm not able to stand up for myself and my loved ones. I'm also allowing for someone who is perpetuating deep suffering through murder to act unchecked...how does this make sense?

Also, I went to Veg Fest in Seattle the other day and fully 90% of people there looked weak, pale, and anemic due to their choice to not take life. Does it really reduce suffering if it makes many people sick?

quote:

Yes, it is part of the human condition that we must live with exploitation, that a lot of what we have is based on exploitation and killing and so on. But then again, of course it is! We're in samsara! If we weren't in samsara, there would be no suffering, and there would be no problems from killing, and so on. But we are in samsara, and everything is dukkha. So, practice the noble eightfold path. Don't kill things. If you must kill things, such as to survive, be mindful of this. If you must benefit from killing of things indirectly, such as by eating meat, be mindful of this. Keep these things in your mind so even as you commit them bodily, you renounce them mentally, until you can renounce them completely.

This is wonderful. So, in effect, the attitude is to fully accept "I am a killer who survives based on the exploitation of other beings because that is the nature of my karmic situation". I appreciate this, and it is in line with what I have heard and read. That said, what then becomes the moral guidance for making ethical decisions in this world? If I accept that my existence is presupposed by killing and exploitation, then the 8-fold path becomes a set of ideal actions that aren't totally executable in samsaric existence. It seems like another set of guidelines for the samsaric mind might be helpful.

quote:

They are inherent to a samsaric existence involving suffering. They are not inherent to a liberated existence. There is no suggestion they are "wrong." "Right" and "wrong" here are not meant as moral judgment. They are not saying that all sexual activity is a moral bad thing and you'll go to the hell realms for it. Rather, sexual activity is a worldly pleasure, indulgence in it encourages desire and egoistic grasping. Desire is suffering, because desire cannot be fulfilled permanently. Therefore, desiring sexual activity is a cause of suffering. Renouncing sexual activity is a cause of the cessation of suffering.

I hear what you're saying, and am generally familiar with the idea of right meaning more along the lines of complete/fundamental/coherent rather than moralization. Thanks for reminding me.

Sex is a fundamental part of all life on earth, as is exploitation and taking of life. If all beings renounced sexual activity, there would be no beings to liberate because all life would cease. Looking at the misdeeds of those in the priest class of Catholicism (I'm sure other examples exist), the effects of renouncing sexual activity are NOT the cessation of suffering but rather the propagation of further suffering on others. Again, in an ideal non-samsaric world I get the ideal, but it seems to be pointing towards an unattainable ideal.

quote:

Greed is suffering, because desire of material things is suffering. Renouncing material possessions and renouncing greed and jealousy is a cause of cessation of suffering.

Do we need money to survive? Yes. Should we want to survive? Yes, of course, to benefit sentient beings. So do we need to work to earn some money to benefit sentient beings? Yes, naturally. But! That's not greed. That's compassion and lovingkindness. Can we get money totally without exploitation, totally without suffering? Sadly, no, not in the global economy in which we live. But we can do our best.

The Noble Eightfold Path is not a "do all these things and you win" checklist. It is a guideline for the kind of moral conduct that leads to the cessation of suffering. By practicing the path, we reduce our suffering. Perfection of the path comes later, don't worry about perfecting your practice of the path. Do your best, use the path as a map to get where you're going. Straying from the path leads to suffering, but that is expected! We're here in samsara ruled by suffering. Our desires, grasping, attachment, aversion, and so on, all of this causes suffering. We need to reduce this. We reduce this by practicing the eightfold path as best we can.

There is no judgement in the noble eightfold path. Just action and result.

...and I feel that your final full paragraph totally addresses my above concerns. I guess it boils down to the idea that perfecting the path is impossible for all but the enlightened ones and so its value seems to be diminished as a practical guide for living. As an expounding of almost scientific X causes Y, so -X will lead to -Y, it's wonderful. I'm just looking for a practical ethical guide as a 30 year old white male living in the US.

Again, thanks Paramemetic and the other thread stars for helping reduce confusion and being willing to engage in the myriad questions that arise from the path. You're awesome.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

I always appreciate reading this thread, but things tend to take a turn towards being incomprehensible and confrontational when TPJWA pops up.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

The Dark Wind posted:

Thanks guys, I'm definitely gonna go ahead with this retreat, finances permitting. I've had nothing but great experiences with Shambhala before, and I like Trungpa's teachings a lot, even if he is quite the controversial figure.

Reggie Ray is not a Shambhala teacher. In fact, he split from the Shambhala lineage some years ago and leads a group called Ocean of Dharma. I was similarly impressed by him listening to podcasts and reading one of his books, so asked a senior teacher in the Shambhala lineage what their take on him was. "Arrogant" was the reply. The teacher went on to say that Reggie has some degree of realization and apparently can manufacture a sense of profound connection with students during interviews post-meditation, but warned me not to get too close.

I encourage you to investigate for yourself. Go on retreat if the finances work out, but be aware. Don't confuse Reggie Ray's teachings for those of the Sakyong's or Shambhala. He left Shambhala and is teaching as an individual claiming to be the authentic continuation of the Vidyadhara's lineage. In no way am I claiming to be an authority or trying to gossip here, I just wanted to repeat the information I was given when I asked a few questions and I hope it is helpful.

The Dark Wind posted:

I just recently moved to NYC and have been going to a different meditation group almost every night.

Dude, I'm moving to NYC in a couple of weeks. I'd love to pick your brain about the different groups you've sat with. During previous visits, I sat with the Dharma Punx and enjoy that group. I also have sat with Shambhala people from NYC, they're great.

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 6, 2014

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Prickly Pete posted:

I could be referring to that one. Phone posting keeps me from checking sources, but I feel like there is a specific passage I am thinking of from a sutta that relates loving others as one would a child. Ill look around later. The point is basically the same though.

I know in Tibetan Buddhism I've heard the concept of loving all sentient beings as if they were your mother.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Hi Buddhism thread, haven't posted here in years. I'm writing for a bit of advice or encouragement :) I'm hoping it is okay to focus a bit on myself in this post and know that the questions and concerns I have aren't only my own, but that I speak for others in our current age and hope that my questioning is of benefit to them as well as those who might offer guidance. I don't want whatever questions I have to distract or deter others from their path -- my intention is not to disparage the Buddha-Dharma which I hold in incredibly high esteem.

My background: I've been practicing in the Shambhala Buddhist lineage of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche for about the last decade, taking Refuge and Bodhisattva vows, studying the Hinayana and Mahayana, holding a daily shamatha/vipassana practice as much as possible, going on several 7-15 day group retreats, moving through the dozens of core-curriculum classes at Shambhala, and otherwise being very much a part of the community. The teachings have come to be a core part of my no-self identity. I'm not a vajrayana practitioner, but it is the "next step" if I continue on the path as outlined by Shambhala.

I'm preparing to go on my first solitary retreat Friday in a retreat cabin in Vermont. 7 days with no human contact, no books, no devices, 8 hours of meditation/sadhana practice/chanting daily punctuated by cooking and eating and rest. I'm incredibly excited and nervous about the whole thing. I've worked with a mentor to devise a schedule and will be at a retreat center that has housed retreatants for decades. I'm feeling well supported.

Leading up to the retreat, due in large part that beginning preliminary practices is the "next step", I've been plagued with doubt about the validity of the practices and the path. I generally have distaste for woo and new-age beliefs. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night with so much doubt about the lineage, the teachings, the seemingly supernatural claims of the Vajrayana. In fact, the only way I could calm myself was to realize that my path is my own and if it breaks from Shambhala or Tibetan Buddhism, that is okay.

I don't know how to reconcile my so-called scientific intelligence with my love for the dharma and the profound impact that the lineage has had on me. I've gotten sober through Dharma, I've processed the death of my mother through Dharma, I've maybe become a somewhat decent person through Dharma. BUT I don't know how to hold the two truths of academic rigour and experiential understanding. At first I wanted to hold my solitary retreat as an experiment: "what happens when I'm not under other's influence and do the chants -- is there a real affect?" but my mentor suggested that would be shutting down to experiences that don't fall under the "yes/no" rubric that experiment creates.

Maybe I'm just nervous and scared about the retreat, but I feel like I'm at a crossroads as I approach the vajrayana and don't know how to decide. Thank you for indulging my self-centered thoughts, may they benefit others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Paramemetic, I want to thank you for the time you've taken on this post, other posts in this thread, and efforts in general in your life. I appreciate you!

I read this post yesterday and felt a sense of a)being understood and b)relaxation. When I can relax around this is when I understand the conflict is internal, rather than actual. I won't respond to your post line-by-line, but rather will return to it. I really find it illuminating about some of the things I'm going through, especially the aspects of fear and attachment.

So the attitude then is to go into retreat knowing that I fear the change, fear the surrender, having doubts; recognizing all that is present I'll push on, going in fully. All in.

It tickles me that you closed your post with a reference to the four thoughts. For most of 2017 (and to the present day), I have an app on my phone pop up the Four Reminders every morning at 8 AM. So I'll offer those verses as composed by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche as a gesture of gratitude from one practitioner to another.

Joyful to have
Such a human birth,
Difficult to find,
Free and well-favored.

But death is real,
Comes without warning.
This body
Will be a corpse.

Unalterable
Are the laws of karma;
Cause and effect
Cannot be escaped.

Samsara
Is an ocean of suffering,
Unendurable,
Unbearably intense.

If people are interested, I'd be happy to write up some of my thoughts on return. It's been encouraged not to journal during the retreat, but will probably be more than happy to share what is recalled on the other side. Thanks everyone for your warmth and encouragement, this meditator needs it!

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 4, 2018