Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rurik posted:

It's because I want to get deep into the music. I think I tend to listen to the music too superficially, since I rarely take the time to just lie down and listen to it. Usually it's on the background. Sometimes I listen to it when I commute. Therefore I think I may miss something important, especially in an experimental piece such as Ebene. And if listening to it while laying down and concentrating on it is good, it follows that meditating to it is even better.

I also like the idea of relaxation that could bring, since I'm sometimes anxious and stressed. Trance also intrigues me.

I know that if I have too little time for music it means I cram my schedule too full. There's the gym five times a week, there are books to be read, I'm learning a language and on top of that I play video games or watch tv series. And all that is just on free time. I know a Buddhist would say those are all attachments. In fact I'm actually trying to kick a stupid habit partly because it's attachment and partly because it consumes time.

Just do it if it feels right. People talking about attachment are full of attachment to their own righteous opinions. There are cd's and tracks of Tibetan deep-voice chanters who can take you right into nirvana with that vibration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

I first had the experience before I was ever interested in meditation. I had been sleeping maybe 4-5 hours a night and was very exhausted but still couldn't sleep. I smoked a joint and lay still in my bed listening to music for a while and fell into a half-sleep. All the same things occurred: eyes darting around, light colors fluttering around my eyelids but it turned into one of the most powerful experiences of consciousness that have occurred to me. I felt as if my conscious shape were on some kind of rollercoaster, speeding around and changing shape. There were quick successions of 'epiphanies', as I successfully narrativized what was happening.

I was never really this type of person but in the half-dream experience I was aware of a presence that seemed to be impressing its will upon me. I hesitate to call it God, but it was surely separate from 'me' and I imagined it was very old and had always been there somewhere in my head. I could hear froggy booooiiiingwwaaaaaaooohhhh noises. It was a little terrifying and likely in part my own invention but very surreal. I was aware this entire time and eventually I became aware of the music again and just got up.

I've gone a little off topic with this story but the oddity and power of the experience was a big step in my path towards discovering and embracing Buddhism. My practice is in its infancy and this thread has imparted a lot of understanding that I'm really grateful for.

If you're 'aware' of your processes, you're not in typical sleep mode at all. Your eyes are part of the physical expression.
Also, don't be so quick to label what you see or experience as 'hallucination', as that nullifies the personal validity of what you are experiencing.
The 'froggy' noises could be your own original primal nature, which is not buddha nature... or not.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The-Mole posted:

From what I've gathered:
Specifically, the Buddha said, "Scrutinize Buddhist teachers like a gold merchant scrutinizes gold before buying."

I like this, it's very important. You wouldn't believe how many con artists there are who realize that the holy man business can be really high paying. There have been and always will be literal predatory monsters in holy robes coming down the pike East and West, with solemn mien and pithy pronouncements, who garner crowds of followers and tons of money.

Tea Bone posted:

I think I can help with this one. Abstaining from alcohol isn't actually as hard as you probably perceive it, personally even before discovering Buddhism I didn't drink and yet manage to keep an active social life, surprisingly few people care that I don't drink and the ones who make a big deal about it are generally the type of people I try to avoid anyway. I'm in a rather strange trade (for the time being, I'm actually getting out of it next week) for a non drinker, my Dad is fairly well known in the pub and brewing industry. I got roped into the family business and have been working as a bar manager, as such I spend a lot of time around drinkers and have a lot of associates who's livelihoods revolve entirely around alcohol (I guess I'm in the same position), despite this I'm met with very little judgement from any of them and all of my regulars know and respect my choice not to drink.

As for if there's a line as far as the precepts are concerned, I might be wrong here but I would expect, yes, a little bit of social drinking is okay. The vow isn't against the consumption if alcohol, its against intoxication. Think of it this way, driving whilst intoxicated is illegal, but you can still have one drink and legally drive. There may be a small amount of negative karma associated with even a little drink, due to the possibility of it leading to more drink, but you might want someone more educated than me to weigh in as I may be misunderstanding karma here.

Don't split hairs over small amounts of negative karma. Gautama learned before his own maha-enlightenment that you need to keep things in balance or perspective, which he called a Middle Way. A drink after a hard stressful day before you go to sit can actually be relaxing and conducive to your practice.
A culture of staying drunk will retard your practice. As you evolve in your practice, you will experience an inner joy and drunkenness which no drug nor alcohol can touch.

From what I've learned, any system- and keep in mind buddhism is not supposed to be a belief system, it's supposed to be a practice system, and there's a huge difference- is about getting yourself tuned up to a level of awareness fitness just like an athlete. It's work, real work, the best work; and anyone who says it's not is a bullshitter....imo.
Precepts are general guidance recommendations toward that aim.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Venerable Master Hsing Yun's explanation of Karma made the most sense to me. Read about it in "The Core Teachings (Essays in Basic Buddhism)"
If you ever get a chance, I'd pick up that book.

Also this may seem like a silly question, I know that fat guy statue isn't the buddha, then who is that fat guy?

This guy?

Hotai. He's a sort of Santa figure, an ecstatic saint. My granddad was a merchant marine and one of the cool things he sent us was a carved rosewood hotai sitting on a mastiff.

hotai images

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Meldonox posted:

Normally they nosh on you and get all up in your furniture, so I've heard that ditching your poo poo and moving on is the way to go regardless of humane intent.

I have a question too actually; I tried doing a guided meditation for the first time the other night and boy was it tough keeping my head clear. Part of it though is I messed up my back and it hurts super bad in most positions. How's a guy deal with that sort of situation? The thing I listened to was pretty particular about pose and posture.

Try blue icepacks for your back, and a comfy padded chair. I fell off a scaffold 30+ years ago and it's done it for me.

Shnooks posted:

If you kill them just be aware of your actions and try to reduce further killing, that's all. It's all about mindfulness. You're not blindly smooshing ticks for the sake of pleasure or because you give no fucks - of course you don't want to harm any living critter, but sometimes you just have to for whatever.

I kill a lot of stuff at work - ticks, fleas, all sorts of parasites. I participate in euthanasias. I just try to remain mindful.

Good. If you're so lacking in common sense that you have to go to the artifice of preserving malignant forms of life because Lord Jain or Lord Gauthama or some sutta said so, you've got a problem...and the problem is, you're an idiot. Life and death are inseparable modes of passage on the Wheel, responsibility is the key.
The human lifeform is the highest of the physical evolution, and that should be respected more than a mosquito, a bedbug, or a rat. Warn them to leave your home first if it makes you feel better, then kill them, and accept the consequences.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Paramemetic posted:

In the complete 7 point variety it should rest roughly central to your stomach, not actually sitting on your lap. This is accomplished by drawing your shoulders back. The Seven-Point Posture of Vairocana (as it's called in Drikung Kagyu) entails:

1) Cross your legs in the Lotus Position, which blocks the lower energies and is also a stable position.
2) Straighten your body and back, which slows the movement of the winds.
3) Bring your shoulders back "like the wings of a vulture" which elevates your hands slightly.
4) Join your hands at the navel area where your winds come together, bringing a transcendental aspect
5) Bring your neck slightly forward, which directs your gaze forward comfortably and allows you to rest your head for less distraction.
6) Touch your tongue to the top of your palate, in order to keep your mouth moist
7) Let your teeth and eyes sit in a natural position, without dedicating any effort to them, so touch them if they touch, don't if they don't, don't worry about it. For eyes, just let them rest, if they close, they close, and so on.

This touches on the reason for certain postures and mudras, etc. because it's about closing off energies, or being interfered with energically while you meditate. If a person can do full lotus without being distracted by it, that is great for them, but if not, it's not a deal-breaker. Half-lotus, or even easy posture, one leg crossed under the other achieve part of that. In fact, sitting in a chair with the legs down & crossed achieves part of this, but does not recycle the energy back up like full lotus.
I haven't been able to do full lotus for years, and when I could, my mind was so distracted it didn't matter much. That was 40 years ago. I sit in easy posture for decades now and it all works.
There are varied and detailed Hindu and buddhist descriptions of the type of material to sit on, clothes to wear, etc, etc. It can get very ritualistic, but keep in mind we are creatures of habit, and that habit and ritual are literal newtonian karma concepts. Once you have built the habit of regular meditation, it becomes your raft to freedom.
Arms can either be crossed or not, forefinger and thumb closed- I forget the name of the mudra- palms down, not up.

A thing about malas, while I'm on about it. They're the same as rosaries basically, used to coordinate with inner japa mantra, or even pranayama. These are a bit outside orthodox buddhism, but Tibetans are unorthodox. There is a node or ligament in the thumb joint that mala beads regularly rub against. For some reason, this has a soothing, calming effect. The hands are repositories and transmitters of personal energy. You can pinch the webs of the skin between the fingers with the other hand and it can be painful, but then you'll feel less stressed.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mr Tastee posted:

Reading the OP, it seems that being a good person by Buddhist standards is impossible short of committing suicide. But then if one were to do that, they would be leaving loved ones behind with the suffering of having lost someone. And that sort of friend-of-a-firend thing means that the only way anyone can be free from harming anyone else is if everyone on earth simultaneously decided of their own free will to kill themselves on the spot. But that's simply impossible. So that leads to the problem of everyone on earth being a bad person in one way or another.

Am I just overthinking this?

The Buddha was hardcore against suicide. The first part of do no harm is do no self harm, you're not overthinking it you're not clear on it at all.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Yes, nobody in the history of Buddhism has ever attained enlightenment. To a Buddhist, it's all theory. Buddha might have figured it out but he died and last I heard he was reborn as a sheep or something.

That's a woolly jataka tale.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Yes, which will eventually happen. Everything is impermanent. :)

Dharma is not a thing, it cannot arise and disappear like compounded or conditional things...yet it disappears perhaps preceding a Buddha, and then it disappears (along with the rest of the universe and the laws of the universe) when a seeker achieves Buddhahood, or freedom....yet that Buddha lives perfectly within the Dharma. Does that make sense to you?

It's very clear
Our love is here to stay
Not for a year, but forever and a day

The radio
And the telephone
And the movies that we know
May just be passing fancies and in time may go

But oh my dear
Our love is here to stay
Together we're going a long long way

In time the Rockies may crumble
Gibraltar may tumble
They're only made of clay
But our love is here to stay

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Blue Star posted:

Yeah, Buddhism was really hard to wrap my mind around when I first started reading about it. It seemed to me to be a completely useless and stupid philosophy. "Yeah everything sucks and we're all going to die and there's nothing we can do about it. There's nothing worth giving a poo poo about because you're just going to lose it all. So just stop giving a poo poo (if you can)." loving useless.

But then I dug deeper and I started to "get it". Nonattachment isn't apathy or indifference. Its being mindful of how things are and how reality works, including yourself and your own thoughts and feelings, to avoid suffering. You can still love people and have goals and aspirations. Sunyata doesn't mean that nothing exists or that its all meaningless crap, it means that everything exists interdependently and that its only our limited perception that creates boundaries and separation; in truth, everything is connected and a part of one endless continuum of constant change. Anatta isn't meant to be taken as some New/Internet Atheist "we're just meat robots, deal with it :smug: " argument; instead, it means that we're verbs, not nouns. There is no essential substance or nature to ourselves. We're a dance of patterns and processes, like how a whirlpool is a process and pattern of water in a river. We dont define the whirlpool by what its made out of (water), we define it by its pattern and behavior. The whirlpool is a verb, its something the water is doing, and thats how it is with us. We're something the world is doing. Again, verbs, not nouns.

I still don't know if I've "gotten" it, but the above is how I understand these concepts.

Get a little Buddha nature in your life, mate. Then get a lot, that hopelessness & nihilism is a phase you have to burn thru.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tea Bone posted:

Thanks I'll check it out. On the subject of the Dalai Lama, I read this article on Skeptoid. While I'm aware that Brian Dunning isn't exaclty a beacon of morality, I can't help but agree with him on this. I understand the Tibet situation is complicated and I wont try to pass an opinion on that, but surely The Dalai Lama should say what ever it takes to stop these men from killing themselves?

That sure looks like an opinion to me.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tea Bone posted:

Sorry, I meant that I wasn't going to express an opinion on weather Tibet should be free/Chinese Special Administrative Region, because it's something I don't really know anything about, but yeah that's an opinion on what The Dalai Lama said.

I'm pretty sure we're all aware of the bulldozing and marginalizing of the Tibetan state and people being done by the Chinese, but I've also read that amidst all that there are thousands of ethnic Han who are adopting Tibetan monks as their go-to buddhist preceptors. Ch'an buddhism was nearly destroyed in China during the Maoist Great Leap forward, so there's definitely a vacuum.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The-Mole posted:

D. T. Suzuki: Noted defender of how killing people is not killing people.

Take him with a big grain of salt. Take all Buddhists with a grain of salt, but him particularly.

He was a bigtime Japanese nationalist for a long time, but he 'looks' like a holy zen guy.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cardiovorax posted:

Or maybe I'm getting nihilism wrong, I'm hardly an expert. :v: Nietzsche had a very unique and specific idea of what nihilism means, though, which are at this point at least a century out of date. I suppose if you look at it under that definition it's exactly what Buddhism doesn't, but I'm talking more about the modern conception that's the basis for existentialism, postmodernism, constructivism, those things.

I love those little vignettes, by the way. Buddhist monks seem to spend so much time being smartasses at people, you just can't not like them. Is there a collection somewhere?

Shut up about western materialist philosophy, why don't you? If you like vignettes and more, pick up a copy of the Blue Cliff Record, which has lots of Chinese buddhism stories and gong-ans. It even has the gooniest one to warm your goony heart featuring farts and the Universal Wind.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Knockknees posted:

Is any Buddhist writing on the topic of suicide?

As I recall, there was one example of 2 advanced disciples who wished to take their own lives- they may have had some extremely debilitating disease, and Gautama Buddha discouraged it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ObamaCaresHugSquad posted:

And this constructed self can continue from rebirth to rebirth, whether as an animal, human, hungry ghost, hell demon, or a god. These are all the realms of existence in many forms of Buddhism. They can be taken literally, or figuratively, for instance seeing states of mind as representations of different realms. Anyway, if this constructed self is seen as not inherently self-existent in this lifetime, it will not continue past death. As long as it is assumed to be self-existent, it will continue on.

All that's needed is to recall just one past life, never mind thousands, to understand that this is a fatuous notion, and I'm calling bullshit on 'figuratively'. Figuratively is for Westerners who can't deal.
You don't just assume intellectually you are existent or not-existent. Your samskaras and karma will go on regardless of what you think.

The-Mole posted:

There's a definite reason they say that a person's efforts are best spent learning about and following a single path, tradition, or practice. At least for the first couple of decades. Get one down good and take all the 'support practice' seriously. That support stuff generally comes down to: take good care of (and in the process, get to know) yourself and others, physically and mentally; be honest and stand up for whatever you believe is worth standing up for; try to let the virtuous qualities that comprise that eightfold path be a little more present in how you go about life, day to day. If you're unwilling to give up things that cause harm, at least let yourself be guided by the spirit of harm reduction, though it only puts off the inevitable.

Try not to assume too much and examine old assumptions whenever one comes to our attention.

And to close with the Buddha's own words, "Scrutinize spiritual teachers the way a gold merchant examines gold before buying it."

Little-known fact: the Buddha had 2 teachers he discarded along his way because they did not satisfy him....there is a very fine line between what the ego demands of a teacher within its comfort sphere.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm think maybe I can phrase this in a different way.

I'm not really attached to myself; I have severe depression, I have little-to-no motivation to do things and I have little that I actually enjoy to do.

I do, however, have (probably an unbuddhist like) attachment to being Conscious and Cognizant. I have a hard time understanding how, if a consciousness and thinking-pattern is destroyed it's not Annihilationist, and if it survives it's not Eternalist.

Consciousness pervades the universe, wraps itself in mind, then a body, there you are. It is not destroyed, that's an idiot notion. Your so-called unbuddhist attachment to being Conscious and Cognizant is the root of your buddhist path, if you will accept it. Nothing makes a person more open to change than misery, suffering, so good job on the depression.
Things like annihilationism and eternalism are more idiot notions of confused mind, they're useless. Slow your mind down to perfect zero and all that's left is consciousness, which is true freedom.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ugrok posted:

Don't worry about "over meditating". Think that in certain retreats, they meditate for 9 hours a day !

Usually, in zen at least, teachers recommend to have two 40 minutes zazen session per day, either one after the other or one in the morning and one in the evening. Brad Warner, who is a serious zen practicioner and teacher, says in his books that he puts in one hour a day : 40 minutes in the morning, 20 minutes before going to bed.

So don't worry, two sessions of 20 minutes per day is far from over meditating. If i were you, i would do one first thing in the morning as i wake up, and before going to bed or after coming back from work. It really gives you space in your day. Finally, just try it, and you will see if you like it or not. There is no problem in meditating for short amounts of time. When i begun i was meditating 12 minutes a day, and nowadays i tend to practice 25 minutes in the morning, and 25 in the evening. But if i don't feel like it, i may shorten the whole thing. Don't try to think too much about this, it's really not that important. Meditation should not be a pressure !

This is good advice. Develop the habit of daily meditation, and don't slough it off. You brush your teeth every day, bathe every day (hopefully), how much more vital is mental hygiene than physical?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Is it possible that the fact we all possess Buddha nature/primordial purity is actually the complete opposite of original sin?

Do you know for a fact we all possess Buddha nature?

First find your own buddha nature, then surprise, surprise. The enlightened mind is neither buddhist nor christian because those are at best, belief methodologies. free means free.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Mind clarifying this?

This is a very good pun, bravo :golfclap:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Interesting questions, I'm curious.

I do posses Buddha nature like I posses my own hand because, in fact, I posses no hand. There is a hand that exists in tandem with a body that is the seat of this consciousness. I neither posses this hand, nor does the hand posses me. My experience of Buddha nature is the same -- it exists in tandem with (not within) my body and consciousness.

I do not experience Buddha nature like I experience typing on my computer. Typing on my computer is a primarily cognitive then mechanical experience. My awareness is purposefully directed towards an object (getting them words out) and the vast majority of sense impressions are ignored. My experience of Buddha nature has come when I let go of any object or technique completely and have an experience of wearing my sense perceptions like a costume. I can not will that experience to occur, so it is different than my experience of typing.

Nice post Leon Sumbitches, but let me offer my take- your body is not, in fact, the seat of your consciousness, it is a garment worn and created by your mind within your karma field. Your mind seats via your brain, which expresses and inputs through your senses; mind also has access to buddha nature because your mind is a most miraculous instrument.
You had to learn typing through practice, and through diligent practice, I feel you can, in fact, will experiencing of Buddha nature.

And to answer Wafflehound, Buddha nature clarifies mind, i.e. mind clarifying. Wonderful. I love it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rhymenoceros posted:

I think consciousness as an emergent property fits pretty well with rebirth. Though not a property of only the brain; any 'integrated-enough' network that communicates (probably) 'feels' like something.

Besides, from the mind's point of view the brain is the emergent property. If the two did not support each other, why evolve a brain? :)

It is interesting to ask why we don't feel what others feel. E.g. when you look at someone who is in great pain, you know that they feel pain, but you don't feel their physical sensation of pain, but surely the subjective experience of pain is going on in that other person, but you don't feel the raw sensory input.

Whenever a new brain is being made, there has to emerge a mind in that brain to feel the raw sensory input; being conscious has to 'feel' like something. So when you die, you're free to emerge somewhere else (rebirth), but it is not 'you' as in your personality, you are now just subjectively experiencing the input of some other integrated system.

At least this is how I think about it so far.

Have you never seen an infant with an apparently full-blown personality?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You were talking about Metta as a desireable state, something worth pursuing. What happens when it ends? What do you have then? You have a memory of a good feeling. Do you want to bring it about again? Maybe you do, maybe you don't. If you do, then that is the suffering in itself. If you don't, then why were you trying to bring it about in the first place? Then the desire to bring about a pleasurable state from the start was the suffering. This is the scope of the problem, for us all to continually remind ourselves of.

You said suffering is brought about by our attachment (craving or aversion) to things that are impermanent through thinking they are permanent. What then, is Metta?

From my perspective, metta is an outward manifestation of buddha nature, or at least the effort to manifest it- which is not to be regarded as an emotion or feeling. It is the "Love" in "Love thine enemy".

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Then you do not understand Buddha-nature yet. The effort to manifest it is no closer to it than the lack of that effort, and so saying it could be either doesn't say much. Just means there's more work to be done.

Lol, buddha nature is not to be 'understood', but yeah, agreed there's more work to be done. Believe me, if you don't think Gautama or any Arhant or boddhisattva manifests buddha nature, then I don't know what to say to you. They shine, friend.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You offered an unqualified anecdote. If I agreed with the anecdote, then I would be saying everything I had just said was wholly pointless. But more to the point, I don't care if they are a lineage holder. There are charlatans everywhere. That said, what you pasted was more than instructive about the point of their teaching. And I don't disagree with them. It's more of a sentiment they are expressing than a description anyway.

They have faith in the experience of clear light to manifest compassion for others FOR THE PURPOSE OF LEADING THEM TOWARDS UNDERSTANDING. Not "idiot compassion" as Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche says. All of these positive qualities are solely for the purpose of helping others to understand. That's why there is such a thing as "crazy wisdom" and some teachers doing really wild things that don't coddle other people's feelings for example.

Chogyam Trungpa, are you quoting him as a source or as a charlatan?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

He's a little bit of both. But I quoted him as a source.

I was in Boulder in those days. There's no little of both, he was a monster.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I can see why you would think that. I like some of his teachings though, and I don't totally agree that he was a monster, just troubled. I go to Naropa now by the way. The school does not succeed at much of anything it sets out to do, and I guess it wasn't based on a very effective foundation. I'm happy to be a week away from graduating.

The life of the man is the teaching, and "very troubled" is a B.S. excuse for the depredations and suffering that man caused. I reiterate, he caused suffering under the guise of 'crazy wisdom, he did not alleviate it.
Chogyam even had all the cred coming out of Tibet, HHDL says yeah this guys great, etc. etc. A perfect example of what Gautama said about scrutinizing the would-be teacher, not what he says, what he is.

Guys like him and Rajneesh were examples of extremely clever manipulative charismatic frauds. Oh yeah, wonderful books. What's the difference between a book and toilet paper? The TP has actual value. He literally damaged peoples lives.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ruddha posted:

[in black lady voice] Y'all mothafuckas need zazen

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ruddha posted:

It's okay, I'm Mahakala.

I thought you kids were into video game superheroes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ruddha posted:

The Buddha was told bathing in the Ganges purged all sin and evil from you. He laughed, and said "The fish must be holy!" Because of this, he was de-buddha'd.

The Buddha lolled?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You're all acting like a clique rather than individuals seeking truth. This is sad..you can do better than this. Looking good in front of the guys on the internet.

You really don't think you're awakened do you? Because if you do, their teasing you is the very best thing you could ask for to get over that delusion, and you should bow to all.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

If you're an Arahat then you're incapable of lying. You said you were going to leave the thread, but you didn't. Therefore you have committed an act an Arahat is incapable of and are therefore not an Arahat.

Plus I mean your posting is pure suffering for all who see it.

Edit: "Dance puppets, dance!"

Dude show some compassion.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

PrinceRandom posted:

I guess it got Ruddha to post in here and the post count is like twice as much as it has been in a previous month time span.

Is it worth it :shrug:

Is it helping your depression? Because if so, it's all worth it, imo, and maybe we owe ObamaHugSquad a :tipshat: for skillful means?.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ruddha posted:

[in lotus posture] well that's like *leg starts cramping up* [strained] your, opinion man.

lol. Quit posting my sadhana!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ruddha posted:

Keep your story straight before I go Asura on your rear end, spiritually.

Take it from me this guy's a real bad asura.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I just don't like being misunderstood. Is that wrong?

Wayullll little buckaroo.....in this world of samsara an shitpostin, I reckon ya gotta take a little misunderstandin' now an agin on yer way to the Far Shore. Ya'll come back now, yheah?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

And Lama Surya Das is far more diplomatic than me, don't assume anything about him because of me. I've only met him a few times anyway. I am saying what I am saying on my own.

I don't know much about him but he seems like a nice, level-headed guy to me. http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/176174/july-14-2008/barack-obama-s-church-search---lama-surya-das

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rhymenoceros posted:

I think that the full-blown personality is part of the brain, and that karma determines your 'start out' personality.

The reason why I think this is because in meditation, sometimes my personality fades away, but there is still a lot going on there which has nothing to do with what I think of as 'me'. So my reasoning is that the things that fall away in meditation probably don't get reborn; the things that fade away with stillness is probably just part of the brain's every day chatter.

In meditation, the things that are there when "I" am not, these things are not concepts like 'life' and 'death' are, and I think that these things could very well be continuous processes without end or beginning.

I like most of this except this part: full-blown personality is part of the brain which I think derives from our erroneous Western materialistic notion that the form creates the consciousness. It is never so, IMO. But yes, I agree, karma determines not only your start out personality, but heredity, environment, and the events that will shape that personality. And I've heard that that basically encompasses the first 35 or 40 years of life.

We are talking about literally eons of karma reinjecting into an infant body. I do like that you mention that in meditation your personality fades away, because that is what is supposed to happen.
And I'm splitting hairs here, but you know the process of finding the Tulku that the Tibetans practice- which I don't especially adhere to one way or the other- that's a little kid identifying stuff it supposedly had (attachment to) previously.

My point, (which I concede won't go over well here) is that when the brain and body are recreated by karma, the personality also often transfers- if it was not annihilated before or after the previous death. In persons who do meditate diligently and achieve loosening of sanskaras of the personality, that personality disintegrates mindfully; becomes more an instrument of buddha dharma or the stillness, whatever you want to call it. In persons who have events of personality disintegration occur without a balanced regimen, you'll find what is called mental breakdown, which is a bit of a sideliine.

Rhymenoceros posted:

The Buddha's been right so far :)

You know, that last sentence reads like just blindly following along, so I'm going to pick on you about it. If the Buddha was right all along, he'd never have allowed women and laypersons into the Sangha. It took Ananda's nagging for Gautama to recognize his error and correct it.
Although the core of what he brought forth was diamond clarity and truth, do not think that buddhadharma was/is rigid or static. In his time renunciation was necessary, or he'd not have done it. Today, that time is past.
/pick-on Rhymenoceros mode

Rhymenoceros posted:

These are just my thoughts so far though, I try to keep an open mind about it.

As a general comment to the debate of the last pages:

Respectfully, I would like to point out that even posting on an internet forum is an excellent opportunity to practise right speech.

Where's the fun in that? But agreed, it is an excellent opportunity for Right posting.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ruddha posted:

You've spoken hypocritically and childishly a whole bunch in this thing and been shown it a bunch. You're acting like a crazy person, and if you indeed suffer some sort of mental illness, I recommend you seek medical attention and proper council.

Anyone who isn't enlightened is mentally ill IMO, so :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm gettin' creepy vibes now, do Buddhists do Auras? Some weird auric poo poo goin' down...

Sure, and rednecks too, there's no patent on it. Gautama and the sutras speak at length of the weird poo poo you can see when your 3rd eye opens....ask me about the 10 foot ant from outer space that was hanging out on campus corner one Friday night....