Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I recently converted to Orthodox Christianity and I was amazed by what I heard. They said that the true way to divinity was to destroy your attachments to things in the physical world and to downplay and control your passions. This sounded like Buddhism to me.

Is there any evidence of the two faiths influencing each other or is this a case of serendipity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Would it be rude to ask a question? I want to know why cessation of personal suffering is so important. I understand the cessation of someone else's suffering (no one wants someone to starve to death), but my personal suffering is what made me who I am. I wouldn't change a bit of it. As a Christian, I believe that personal suffering and struggle is important. Tears are the companion of the penitent man, after all.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ThePriceJustWentUp posted:

Or rather, if mindstream is a symbol for self-consciousness, then I've got that in spades. But if mindstream is the absence of mind, the destruction of it, and the allowing of the world to work its own magic, and so the mindstream is a symbol for the world, then I have little to no experience of that. So I was asking you which it is. And you seem to be saying it's neither, it's something else. Some other distinction to make about individuals and their relation to the world. None of your answers have addressed this. HHDL doesn't seem to address it either. I don't think he knows.

edit -

Alright. He says that there's no *unchanging* soul. But there is one that changes from moment to moment and that is what you are describing with the river analogy. And that's the mindstream. And so that stream constantly changes and moves and fluctuates. But at the end of the day it is still a stream! It still has a certain structure, a certain behavior. It follows itself. Cause and effect. That he does not seem to deny. This just seems to be a more careful way of affirming a self. A storehouse for thoughts and emotions and behaviors. They deny one kind of self but affirm another kind. I didn't know this mindstream business had crept into Buddhism. Maybe it's been there for a while. I never noticed it. To me, self is self. The whole structure needs to be eradicated. I feel the fraudulent weight of the whole thing and come what may. I really have no choice anyway. And I don't intend to put out any kind of soapbox in the world until it's all over and done with, if I ever do at all.

The self that thinks it is changing is actually never changing. It is just as static and rigid as it ever was. It wants to tell itself it has changed and that it will change, but it never will. The self is like a person with that bone disease where every bump and scrape grows bone instead of tissue and eventually they are encased in bone. It is rigid and yet violent. This stream business is another way to fool yourself into thinking you are evolving, progressing, moving forward. This is all the basis of delusion. There is no progression, no evolution. No change is possible. There's only the world, and there's not even that.

I recommend you quit hating the Jews before you try and reach enlightenment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)