Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

fspades posted:

It would have been nice if you guys actually explained why you disagree with him. Not all of us are familiar with Buddhist disputes here.

Yeah, I've been lurking in this thread and I'm really confused about what's going on.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

May you have the fortune of your next life being filled with right view.

Also, for some reason, I am really creeped out by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

It looked like a passive-aggressive use of a well-intentioned phrase, comparable to an angry "May God have mercy on your soul" occasionally uttered by some overzealous Christian preachers when addressing a "heretic". Stuff like that really creeps me out.

I apologize if I misunderstood the context of your post. I know very little about Buddhism. :shobon:

my dad fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 24, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The context of the post probably was a bit missing, it was just a good-natured jab but more importantly Para, quamtumfate, and I are quite good friends so poo poo kind of gets flung a bit and sometimes we forget that people are dropping into the thread and not used to the smaller group of regular posters in here. I'll try to work on that. :)

Oh, OK then. :)

Please carry on with your discussion, I'm really interested in learning more about Buddhism - I always felt bad about knowing so little about a major religion.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ashgromnies posted:

Christianity also has a bit of judgmental punishment involved with the concept of "sin" -- rather than examining the karmic implications of action, the perspective is "these acts are an affront to God and you won't get into Heaven if you keep willfully sinning". As opposed to a karmic viewpoint where you might look at how the "sin" affects everything around it and what karmic impact it brings in the future, rather than projecting a specific impact onto it.

Not quite. The concept of "sin" is a lot more complicated than that, and different branches of Christianity have different views on that matter. Several other things you've implied in your post are only true in some of them. You might want to check out the Liturgical Christianity thread if you're interested in the details.