Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Yiggy posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Mahayana-Bud...la-451894190056

I felt like this covered the broad range of Mahayana topics well and has plenty of inroads deeper into the literature.

That looks great! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

https://twitter.com/Relentlessbored...ingawful.com%2F

Hey guys what do you think this set of drawers would be originally used for

This makes me so angry.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I accept that it has already happened and I can't undo the actions what I want to know is what it was used for

Yeah, especially because if it was used for religious purposes why would it just be “on the curb?”

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I’ve seen the furniture thing explained elsewhere. Those are the eight Daoist saints. The cabinet is used for storing traditional Chinese medicine and is a well known mass produced model. Nothing of value was lost.

Do you mean the 8 Immortals? I’ve never seen them depicted like that.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Yes. I am not familiar with Daoism, but what I wrote here seemed to be the accepted explanation elsewhere on the forums.

Don’t doubt you, just surprised. I have definitely seen analogous furniture used for storing herbs, though.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Tosk posted:

Hi, I'm interested in Buddhism. Is there any good reference book for a historical overview of Buddhist tradition? I always find that kind of thing helps me contextualize myself to understand what I'm reading afterwards. I guess after that would be Mindfulness in Plain English?

A big platform into meditation and now Buddhism was discovering the book The Mind Illuminated. Has anyone heard of this book (I think it's fairly well known on the Internet) and if so do you have an opinion on it? I found it fascinating and an excellent introduction.

“Buddhist Thought” is an excellent introduction from a more scholarly perspective.

And he follows it up with another excellent book “Mahayana Buddhism A Doctrinal Foundation.

“Foundations of Buddhist Thought” is more accessible and geared towards someone wanting to practice.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

You are a very skilled travel writer.

Keret posted:

We stopped at the Sanmon ("Mountain Gate"), which is where monks have to stand for several hours in Winter when they arrive before they are let in, and I asked him what it was like. He said that he was extremely cold and I believed it.

Can you tell me anything more about this practice?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Mushika posted:

Well, that sounds rather fatalistic. Especially when considering that we are able to follow the Dhamma regardless of how "decayed" our world may be.

I guess I'll just avoid Jodo Shinshu, then.

For Shinran, the founder of Jodo Shinsu, it’s just the opposite. Amida, by his vow, gives anyone the ability to achieve Buddhahood by being reborn in his Pure Land. Even Mappo cannot stop the Dharma, because Amida Buddha will teach it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Re: Annihilationism

I thought the Buddha specifically said Nirvana is not extinguishment but then also left the question of what exactly is Nirvana unanswered because the answer wouldn’t benefit one’s practice.