Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Locked, cocked, and polygonally rifled... This creature fears nothing.
Being a beginning practitioner of Jodo Shinshu I've never heard of Amida being referred to as anything but a Buddha or Tathagata. Granted I haven't been around that long but the Buddhist Churches of America website doesn't refer to him as a bodhisattva either? Maybe in other traditions he's regarded as a bodhisattva, I'm really not sure, but in my experience he's generally referred to as the Buddha of infinite (light/life).

As it regards the pure land where Amida reigns, my understanding of how to get there is a little inconsistent with Yiggy's view. It seems to me that Jodo Shinshu doctrine leans more towards grateful acceptance of an offer to join Amida Buddha rather than having to "earn a spot." Shinran himself despaired that regular people would never be able to attain buddhahood over the circumstances given in his time and moving forward, and my understanding is that accepting the invitation of Amida into his pure land would allow one to go there, learn the dharma without distraction, become enlightened, and return to spread the Dharma. Grateful living and the following of the eightfold path for us, then, emanates from trust in Amida's promise, rather than being a means to an end.

Sorry in advance if I am explaining it poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Shnooks posted:

I know it doesn't really matter, but has anyone used Mala for things other than chanting? Some of the meditation and mindfulness practices I do require counting and I was thinking carrying a small mala around would be easier than keeping it in my head.

I keep a mala with me pretty much all the time. I know opinions differ but I think of it as a tool. When the mood strikes or I have a spare moment I'll recite mantras and use it to count, or if I want to pray I use it for gassho. I'm pretty spontaneous about these things so having something always on hand makes sense to me.

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

The-Mole posted:

How has the counting been significant, out of curiosity?

huh?