Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
am I welcome to ask questions about meditation that I have from Sam Harris’ waking up course and other surrounding questions I’ve come across since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The things I am getting my head around is vispassina, dzogchen, metta, and the general concept I suspect, that by literally spending more time in certain cognitive states, will make those states more “default”, like metta. what I am beginning to suspect that whole dzogchen can take you directly to the state one may ultimately desire, it’s other practices that mold consciousness so that dzogchen practices take you to a better place

also i still struggle with the nature of no self. the concept of associating myself with my thoughts isn’t really familiar to me, so i don’t have to lose that, but I struggle to conceive that I am not the experiencer or the experience, but perhaps I just need to keep practicing.

under the influence of psychedelics I find it quite easy to just be the experience, I can feel myself leave my body alone, and just be the experience.. and some experiences that I believe some would describe as ego loss, it’s not too difficult to “become” your experience, but nothing about that feels like i’ve let go of something precious like my ego. hmm either i’m still miles away from it or it’s already normal to me

this is interesting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hey wow, thanks.. Thankyou for your extensive answer. Appreciate your time. I definitely see all of this in general as a very positive addition to my life and hopefully something that can really help steer me right. I’m quite depressed often and have a tendency to self medicate (often drinking) and this tends to lend itself to me not practicing, so obviously breaking that cycle by simply practicing more is going to be essential. Earlier this year I practiced more, my interest has been steady but practice has waned, and looking back I can see the difference. Having a personal outreach in this thread will hopefully help. Once again thankyou 😁

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve jus started “the mind illuminated” and it looks good as gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I use the waking up and Sam Harris is doing the pointing out instruction from Dzogchen I think. Trying to point out the “intrinsic selflessness of consciousness”, but I really have trouble with it, because it feels no matter what I do that “the self” is there.

On psychedelics I’ve experienced what I believe is ego-loss, so maybe I think I know what that feels like, or maybe that’s confusing me, but regardless that feels like a unique experience, rather than some insight into the way things really are.

What if the self isn’t an illusion, it’s just something that doesn’t need to exist within experience. It was interesting when Sam Harris had rimpochi (sorry I butchered his name) on a talk and he spoke of many egos we have, and how to embrace and cultivate the selfless ones. But it’s selfless in action and intent, not so much “there is no self”.

I suspect it’s just something I am yet to experience 🤷‍♂️

Also I think music is an interesting meditation object, especially pre-recorded music, because unlike most other things, you do know what’s coming next. I recently had an experience listening to music a lil bit drunk and stoned, and it felt like I knew every single part of the music utterly perfectly. I was familiar with the music but not listened hundreds of times, and it made me think of how consciousness has some internal buffering system to make it never seem like inputs and thoughts aren’t aligned time wise (ie when we touch something the visual aspect doesn’t appear in consciousness before the tactile aspect despite one being slower than the other) and made me think that consciousness, from a time point of view, that “now” probably isn’t this single split section, but somehow that “now” probably exists over a chunk of time, and that what I was experiencing was hearing a bit of music I was familiar with, and it was like the part of my mind that felt like it knew it perfectly was probably a moment or two after actually hearing it and that data coming “around the back” into another part of my mind which was a moment behind, so it was like I was experiencing the past (but just a very short fraction of a moment behind) as now, but because I already had the input it felt like I knew it perfectly, because I had literally just experienced it, so how could I not have known it well?

A big ramble but the point about now probably lasting more than a nanosecond is interesting and I suspect the half drunk and high state “extended” that length of time that feels like “now”. I wonder if it can be extended further 🤔

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmmm food for thought... thankyou for that post. I love all of this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tosk posted:

Hi, I'm interested in Buddhism. Is there any good reference book for a historical overview of Buddhist tradition? I always find that kind of thing helps me contextualize myself to understand what I'm reading afterwards. I guess after that would be Mindfulness in Plain English?

A big platform into meditation and now Buddhism was discovering the book The Mind Illuminated. Has anyone heard of this book (I think it's fairly well known on the Internet) and if so do you have an opinion on it? I found it fascinating and an excellent introduction.

Yeah I’ve got that book. It’s good but it requires a level of meditation I can’t give right now. It’s very helpful at showing how our minds really work. It’s note along the lines of what I want meditation to be for me, rather than buddhism as such.

poo poo I’m interested in discovering the non-dual experience

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I get most of my knowledge from Sam Harris, and I want to know why he’s so keen on non-duality, which I think is what he’s getting at with the dzogchen pointing out instructions.

Like I see so much benefit from mindfulness meditation, I’m not sure what kind of benefit is derived from spending time in a non-dual state.

Though I am super keen to experience it. I wonder if I’ve had glimpses but not sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

glickeroo posted:

Discard these words as one would a used band-aid. They are meant as only a temporary answer. We hope this helps one find the light within the Self where all answers are.

Depends on what is meant by mindfulness meditation, we'll go off the definition of: "focusing on emotions, thoughts, and sensations that you're experiencing 'in the now.'" This can lead to a temporary stilling of the mind/thoughts which brings with it a certain level of peace. The temporary stilling of thoughts brings one out of a layer of the illusory thought world (past and future only exist in thought, and much suffering is created by 'should' thoughts [subset of past/future]). However the benefits could be said to be limited in scope, as it still confines one to a single body/mind/perspective/awareness. Mindfulness can lead one to focusing on passing phenomena instead of (focusing on that which never changes or releasing focus into the unknown). Not to say reject what comes through the senses, rather let them be. Not avoiding any emotion, thought or sensation; but accepting a lovingly detached awareness of it.

Samadhi is the non-dual state, the unification of awareness and that which it is aware of. Mindfulness is part of the path, because Samadhi isn't possible if one is trapped in thought/mind/time. All 8 parts are connected/one. The non-dual state is closer to the true self than the passing phenomenon that seems to appear through the senses. It's almost impossible to over-state how important/healing/rewarding/blissful/loving the non-dual state is. In it what you perceived as a separate self is seen to be false. It is a state of total knowledge, before the mind.

Although this video is from the perspective of Ramana Maharshi / Advaita Vedanta, the speaker discusses Samadhi. (Linked to time-code of discussion)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l72gv5cIUrQ&t=503s

In this experience there was no question what state was what, as the light shines with it's own truth that makes all clear. There is complete clarity of what the state is.

We hope this helps. :worship:

Very interesting, thankyou. appreciate your time to share.