Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glickeroo
Nov 2, 2004

mike12345 posted:

I started meditating again after a five year absence, mainly due to sleep issues. Like, I wake up too early. So I figured I might as well just meditate. During one of my meditations in the early morning hours I experienced such a trip that I'm almost afraid to go deeper into meditation again. I mean I'm still doing it, but in the back of my head I got a little bit of fear of entering a deep trip-like state again. Does anyone else have similar experiences, what do you do in that case?

The experience of fear during meditation is in our experience. What we do in that case is allow the fear completely into our awareness and allow it to express in that moment. All fear is of death/annihilation. Meditation is the opportunity to drop all falseness/illusion/misunderstandings/attachments. When one identifies with something false, and in meditation that falseness is ready to be seen through, there can arise a feeling of fear due to the misidentification. The stronger the identification the stronger the feeling of fear/death/doom. A common misidentification is the belief that you are your thoughts/mind or you are your body. The seeing-through of those attachments may begin with fear.

At a certain meditativeness we've also found such overwhelming bliss to also coincide with an arising of fear - because the feeling is one of being swept away, of letting the bliss completely destroy/overwrite/drown/clear/cleanse all our sense of self. However, again, surrendering/relaxing/letting-go/allowing into the meditation has never destroyed the sense of SELF, just the false imaginings that we falsely identified with.

Or recite the Litany against Fear :pray:
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
- Dune, Frank Herbert

:worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glickeroo
Nov 2, 2004

echinopsis posted:

Like I see so much benefit from mindfulness meditation, I’m not sure what kind of benefit is derived from spending time in a non-dual state.

Discard these words as one would a used band-aid. They are meant as only a temporary answer. We hope this helps one find the light within the Self where all answers are.

Depends on what is meant by mindfulness meditation, we'll go off the definition of: "focusing on emotions, thoughts, and sensations that you're experiencing 'in the now.'" This can lead to a temporary stilling of the mind/thoughts which brings with it a certain level of peace. The temporary stilling of thoughts brings one out of a layer of the illusory thought world (past and future only exist in thought, and much suffering is created by 'should' thoughts [subset of past/future]). However the benefits could be said to be limited in scope, as it still confines one to a single body/mind/perspective/awareness. Mindfulness can lead one to focusing on passing phenomena instead of (focusing on that which never changes or releasing focus into the unknown). Not to say reject what comes through the senses, rather let them be. Not avoiding any emotion, thought or sensation; but accepting a lovingly detached awareness of it.

Samadhi is the non-dual state, the unification of awareness and that which it is aware of. Mindfulness is part of the path, because Samadhi isn't possible if one is trapped in thought/mind/time. All 8 parts are connected/one. The non-dual state is closer to the true self than the passing phenomenon that seems to appear through the senses. It's almost impossible to over-state how important/healing/rewarding/blissful/loving the non-dual state is. In it what you perceived as a separate self is seen to be false. It is a state of total knowledge, before the mind.

Although this video is from the perspective of Ramana Maharshi / Advaita Vedanta, the speaker discusses Samadhi. (Linked to time-code of discussion)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l72gv5cIUrQ&t=503s

In this experience there was no question what state was what, as the light shines with it's own truth that makes all clear. There is complete clarity of what the state is.

We hope this helps. :worship: