Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
1st, I'm not expecting one person to answer for the actions of random sects of a giant and diverse religion but that said:

In the 16th century, a Buddhist nation (Japan) invaded another Buddhist nation (Korea) waving a banner that said "Glory to the Holy Lotus". Then the Chinese (many of whom were also Buddhist) intervened and their general brought along a whole bunch of Shaolin monks.

So how does something like this fit in with precept #1 from the OP? I'm hoping to find something more nuanced than the obvious answer that religious people sometimes don't practice what they preach.

I guess I'm most interested in asking if anyone has any insight to share with regards to more militant sects of Buddhism. Both historical but also like the current things going on in Myanmar.

Interesting tidbit, King Beop of the Korean Kingdom of Baekje tried to regain divine favour for his state by building temples and implementing state vegetarianism during the late 6th century. He went so far as to confiscate hunting spears and fishing equipment as well as releasing all the falcons. As you might guess, this was a pretty lovely way to feed an ancient kingdom that was fighting wars on multiple fronts so the policy was quickly reversed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU