Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

Plus_Infinity posted:

I was raised as a Buddhist too, but by western convert parents who were students of Chogyam Trungpa Rimpoche. I didn't start practicing regularly until a year ago (I turn 30 this year) but always felt as though being raised Buddhist strongly shaped who I am today. Because my parents are Vajrayana students and were pretty dedicated when I was a kid, I saw them doing a lot of the more esoteric practices but they couldn't really talk to me about most of them, beyond "we're doing some visualizations".

I'm really curious to know why that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

I'm not making an complaint or extending a distaste for this thread when I say "this thread is really confusing".

Thank you to the posters that explained Vajrayana Buddhism to me. That part now makes perfect sense, especially the not so secret secret.

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

BrainDance posted:

I'm learning an Asian language at the moment. You know what words don't really literally translate over?

"friend"
"no"

I don't get it. How do you say "no" in the language you are learning. Like how do you decline an offer? *Hand signals or something?

With all the things that just happened in this thread some very good things came of it for me at least! I'm starting an introductory class in the practice of Serene Reflection Meditation. Aka Soto Zen. I was feeling some intimidation because I do not have any knowledge of all the words that were being used in this thread and I have a fear of not being able to attain all the information. My native tongue is English and my English is moderate at best. I just do not grasp words and sentence structure like some people do. I'm a jill of many languages but a master of none.
In short- I do not feel like I will now be shunned from the group for having no knowledge of sanskrit. Not to jinx myself or anything but the idea of me learning a bunch of sanskrit was intimidating but I feel all better about it all. So thanks!

Added: *I didn't mean to be sarcastic or funny. Some cultures really use facial expression and hand gestures to communicate certain things.

Warsteiner fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 12, 2013

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

I'm super new (a month) to a Shambhala centre in my city. It is quite a small group and I wasn't aware that it was "big". Maybe I'm paranoid but is there something fishy about Shambhala that I should be aware of?

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

Excellent. Thank you both for the answers. Really enjoy reading this thread. It's a daily ritual and I'm learning a lot from this.