Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

What is someone meaning when they talk about "killing buddhas?"
I don't think it means to literally kill Buddhists. I vaguely think it's meant to prevent cult of personality or something like that. How close or far is my presumption?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Let's talk nirvana. No, not the grunge band.

Is it cessation of the Samsaric wheel and slipping peacefully into a void of nothingness, never to return in rebirth?
Is it transcending existence and non/existence and reaching a sublimely higher plane?

The readings in my graduate comparative religion course seem to present both as viable outcomes but this seems like a good place to find clarity.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Perhaps I should have said another plane of existence/non-existence.
Higher plane usually refers to beyond the mundane or the beyond plane that you, me and everybody else is on.
If anybody else has read 'em, we are reading Philip Novak and Huston Smith for this course.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

ObamaCaresHugSquad posted:

You die, and the world remains.

That happens in the end, regardless of whether or not I seek enlightenment. Or do you mean ego death through seeking enlightenment?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I get what you're trying to say OCHS about it being a personal experience. I didn't mean offense by asking.

Perhaps I framed my question too narrowly... But do you see what I was going for? ex, it's shoddy and reductionist to express the Christian concepts of heaven and hell into "place where you hang out with angels, dead relatives and God" and "That place with fire and the devil" respectively. But it also serves a purpose of simplification to convey the concepts with broad strokes for non-observant people.