Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Doomsday also has a really tight b3 combo with df2 MB, d2, b3. I just want to know why Lex got ranked above anyone, that character has nothing going for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

IronMcHardSteel posted:

Also if anyone is lurking around with some kind of awesome Sex Luthor junk you could tell me I promise to keep it to myself.

You can do Corps Charge as an instant air move like Cyborg's fireball. It's still unsafe on block, but slightly less so.

Really though, Lex has terrible damage, lovely movement options, no way to keep up pressure when your poo poo gets blocked, no way to safely set up anything off of a throw or overhead, and functionally no options at full screen except against characters that have literally no options at full screen. He's got some cool stuff on paper, but no way to set it up if your opponent has any kind of knowledge of the matchup.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

IronMcHardSteel posted:

D1 is supposedly a frame trap letting you set up B13, 22D1, or throw. They say that 22D1 is a frame trap that you can loop at least once or that you can D1 after it. Sometimes these work for me and I can tell I caught them pressing a button. His damage isn't actually that bad you can get ~%40 with one meter and he builds it really quickly. And yeah, full screen isn't Lex's friend.

I wish his Gravity Pull would suck people in whether they are blocking or not like Seth's Tanden Engine in SF4. Or at least be a lot safer to throw out raw.

How exactly does he get 40%? I believe his go-to combo is b13, db2 MB, b3, j3, 113, bf2 which nets an underwhelming 35% and typically you want to cut the end so you can setup forcefield/mine/probe which means you get just over 30% for a bar. To my knowledge his only safe overhead starter is b2u3 which, when hitconfirmed to d3, gets you a whopping 16% and no time for setups. Same deal with his throw and the follow ups to his 22 string, they're decent mixups but there's no reward for landing them. I've also seen people say they can hitconfirm off of his d1 into a 50/50, but both my personal experience with that and the frame data say that'd take some serious reaction times; more importantly there are a number of characters that can just cancel d1 into a safe combo starter and hitconfirm from there so this definitely isn't an area where Lex stands out from the rest of the cast. 22d1 to d1 frame trap is a thing, it works (barely, don't miss that 1 frame link), but again this is his only option for pressure and it pales in comparison to the rest of the cast.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Its not something many players will be able to do right now, but Doomsday's df2 is blockable with a little practice. More importantly the same timing that blocks df2 will block df2MB so at some (admittedly very high) level of play it'll stop being a mix up.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

f1 being an overhead for her now is cool but doesn't really seem like a necessary or huge change to me. It was already good in its capacity as a whiff punisher, and she already had overhead/low mixup with b2 and b1 anyway.

On paper b2 is blockable on reaction. The animation can make things harder to see than they are on paper, but it's entirely possible that people would have learned to block all of her overheads on reaction so giving her a faster one is (potentially) a huge deal in high level play (that doesn't exist yet).

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I did some testing and I'm reasonably certain that this game has 2 pre-jump frames with your character becoming fully airborne on frame 3. I didn't test it with the whole cast, but it held true for the 5-10 characters I did test. If anyone cares to verify my :spergin: auto-fire fairly reliably hits 2-frame links but is unreliable with 1-frame links, so if you set the training dummy to jump you can hit him with normals of the appropriate frame data (I used Green Arrows +6 on hit standing 3 and 8 frame startup standing 1) and roughly half the time the second normal will connect while the dummy is on the ground where the other half he'll be in the air.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Superman clearly blocks Scorpions teleport while ducking in the trailer, meaning the teleport is a mid instead of an overhead. Since holding down is sufficient to low block in Injustice, this means you won't have to guess a side to block random teleports. The teleport will be used as it was in MK9, to counter zoning or jumping on reaction and in combos.

Just make sure you hold straight down to block, holding down-back will allow you to be crossed up and holding down-forward will only block crossups :pseudo:

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I'm still holding out hope that Zod was a troll the whole time, like they did with the MK9 DLC, and MMH is the final character in the first set.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
You can throw people out of pre-jump frames, so if done meaty Body Press can't be jumped out of. Of course meter-burned b3/f3 will beat all of those options, but if they're done meaty it requires a one-frame timing to work.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
The game also tracks decimals but the combo counter rounds them off. That extra hit might be adding, like, .2% but there's no way to tell without going to training mode and jotting down the scaled numbers for each individual hit during the combo.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
This game doesn't have any hitstop/blockstop so the teleport should be easier to punish if it whiffs, not harder.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I think Lex gets a lot of mileage out of people not knowing the matchup, but underneath that he's unplayably bad. He has literally zero options at full screen, if you're out of range of his charge just keep spamming anything and all he can do is trade with his lovely 3% fireball. If you don't have a fireball, no worries, his laser, mine, probe, and forcefield are all so painfully slow that you can interrupt their startup on reaction with moves like cat dash or the flash's charge. If he gets in close his only safe overhead gets him negligable damage and he has no way to maintain pressure, after you block anything bigger than a d1 go ahead and hit some buttons.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Has anyone here gotten consistent with some of the tighter juggles in this game? Stuff like Doomsday's df2 MB, d2, b3 and Scorpion's f22u3, db3, b3 seem impractically difficult to go for in a real match.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
So I've been looking in to the Scorpion vortex and it doesn't seem all that great. Off a j.3 I can get 30% meterless, or I can spend trait and a bar to get 34% and a free 50-50. From this 50-50 my overhead option gives me 23% and the low lands 26% with both costing a bar. If we assume a 50-50 success rate, average everything out, and compare it to the meterless combo you're spending 2 bars and trait for 16.75%, pretty lackluster. Of of a MB teleport starter we can set up the vortex for just trait, there we're spending trait and a bar for 12.75% which is better but not amazing. It is great off of a teleport punish though, so it seems like you'll get much more mileage by doing meterless combos ending with chain followed by the hellfire/punish wakeup attack 50-50.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
The biggest problem with the game is that there's no safe way to move, walking is so painfully slow and you can't cancel your dashes like in MK. When you're at a disadvantageous range you have very few options and so you get really stilted and repetative interactions like the "block dash block" everyone has to do against deathstroke.

ParanoidInc posted:

On a side note, does anyone have any tips for Green Arrow? I like playing as him but he just seems really hard to me, his normals feel very slow and just feels weird in general.

End every combo by loading an ice arrow. His forward dash is fast so dash up d1 is a pretty good way to approach; your other way to approach is j.3, it's hard to AA and can cross up. Whenever you have the opportunity f2d13 is hard to block and once your opponent has seen it enough to block it you can throw in a low or overhead ice arrow to mix them up further. Save all of your meter for super resets, 111 xx super is inescapable for most of the cast on hit or block. Following a super with b3, b3 and then zoning with fire arrows is a good way to close out a game without giving your opponent the opportunity to clash.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
They fixed some glitch with his damage scaling. I don't know what combos where affected but that might be a buff.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
It's completely possible to play this game with a 360 pad, there are just some hiccups learning to because it requires a set of skills that you don't find in any other genera. In most games if you input a direction that's a bit off you can correct it as you move and it doesn't really matter; in this game being just a handful of degrees off means you get a jump or crouch you didn't want. There are lots of people that play at a high level on a 360 pad, but getting to that point takes time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I ended up picking this up for the PS4 and have been enjoying it -- it's kind of hilarious that the actual gameplay looks so much better than the pre-rendered cutscenes.

I've been having fun button mashing through the campaign but I would like to eventually learn how to play properly. I've seen specific character guides online, but are there more "theoretical" resources I can look at, either for this game or fighting games in general? You know, discussions on strategy/tactics, types of characters or players, what to do when, etc.?

It's hard to write a catch-all resource that works for any fighting game, but I'll try to run you through a couple basic concepts. Every single action has some sort of counter, it's your job to understand the risk/reward associated with the actions you take. This risk/reward changes with what your opponent is likely to do in a given situation. You might have some option X that loses to literally everything your opponent does except Y; on paper this isn't a very useful move but if you can put your opponent into a situation where they want to do Y it becomes a viable choice. In Injustice, and most 2d games, being able to anti-air opponents who jump in on you is really important because it totally changes the risk/reward of jumping; by being able to react to the jump, simply doing nothing becomes a direct counter to it which completely changes your opponent's options.

Spacing is another fairly universal fighting game concept, for a given match-up the character that is at the advantage depends on the spacing between those characters. Generally this advantage switches back and forth: character A might have an advantage at point blank, character B has an advantage just beyond point blank, at sweep range character A has the advantage again, just outside of sweep range character B is up, etc. Both players are trying to move into a spacing where they have the advantage; this is why cornering someone is so powerful, you can put your opponent into a spacing that is advantageous for you and they can't walk backward (which is much safer than walking forward) to change that. Honestly, this is one of Injustice's big weaknesses; there just aren't any safe ways to move in the game. Jumping and dashing are unsafe and walking is just so slow; in some match-ups your opponent can easily put you at a disadvantageous range and you have very limited options to change that. Injustice was a fun game with an awesome story mode, but the more serious I got about it the more bad match-up and bad characters frustrated me.

• Locked thread