Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's probably weird to say this after reposting a big old wall of text about the guy, but I think I'm done with Bane now. I've fallen into the trap before of picking the "interesting but not very good grappler" character early in other games' lives and I think I gotta stop.

Besides, Superman has the advantage of being fun and also being good.

It's weird to see you post this, I'm literally going to do the same thing - watched Evil Canadian's Superman video and said "Why the gently caress am I not playing this guy? He's got solutions to everything AND he's a badass", I love Bane but you quickly realize his trait is only consistently useful at level 1 (which is ridiculous, why make a trait that is 2/3rds a trap?) and he just can't deal with certain tactics effectively, having to do a lot more scouting/reads than similar characters. TestYourMight's Bane forum talks him up like he's a super beastly Wakeup God who can't be stopped once he knocks you down but I've gone into practice mode and discovered that most characters can safely stuff Bane on wakeup with a couple of moves and a little practice, even WITH Venom armor up, so this is the case of a bunch of players not realizing their opponents aren't dealing with their tactics properly. If I'm going to learn a character I would rather it be a character with some good potential rather than one where I have to fight an uphill battle against an opponent of similar skill. Forget it. Like yourself, I've already picked poo poo characters I enjoyed in previous games and gotten wrecked. It's disheartening as hell and ultimately sours me on the game.

I was also thinking about maybe Flash but I've heard nothing about him and also for whatever weird reason I'm only interested in characters that are bad. So I'll bet he's not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fibby Boy posted:

Anybody else have difficulty doing BF inputs online? I can get them consistently offline but online all grundy ever wants to do simple 3 attacks and not walking corpse. It's loving annoying since it just cost me an easy win online.

Not specifically BF inputs but all inputs are harder online. There's a stream of a very good player who has done very well at tournaments doing random ranked matches and he drops over 2/3rds of his combos.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bane's correct though. I love the big man but he needs some help.

Luckily, someone from the developer team is watching TestYourMight, so there's a chance that he'll get better. Reducing some of his horrible Venom cooldown penalties would help a lot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jmcrofts posted:

I don't think bane's bad though. You have to work to get in but his mixups are so dangerous once you do.

His mixups are not that dangerous. His normals are very slow and get beat a lot. His Double Punch is safe and pretty good but it does projectile-level damage. Bane is a character with almost no options against zoning - literally none - that don't require either a) him activating his trait and it's associated cooldown with reduced offensive output and increased damage-taking or b) just outguessing his opponent (which nobody can do ALL the time, so he is going to take some damage). His knockdown game is pretty good if you're playing lower skill players but intermediates will have answers - if you think you're going to run the Bane Wakeup Triangle (Double Punch, Body Press, Master of Disguise starter) on a good player you'll be sorely mistaken as a lot of them have unstuffable moves that ignore armor *and the player isn't some random scrub who doesn't know this (I just described 90% of Injustice players)*.

I'm not saying he's a horrible character and there's no point playing him, but the fact is that he's got real problems right now and I'm hopeful they fix him. If not, eh, there's always Batgirl. She looks fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dracula Factory posted:

Lobo is bad? :( I haven't played him online yet but it seems like he has plenty of tools and highish damage. I guess I'm not very good and there could be something bad about his combo setups that I am totally oblivious to.

That's actually a pretty debateable choice in that tier list, people are saying REO had a meltdown because Lobo has very difficult executions of his combos for not a lot of damage. REO posted a big rant thread about it and everything - he was apparently going to main Lobo and got super disappointed (because playing top-tier characters is his religion).

Edit: read below me for the much better scoop. I should have just kept my yapper shut and let one of the other posters answer...I was only vaguely familiar with the situation. My bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 13, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I used to do hidden character select. I main'd Bane and a lot of people simply did not know how to deal with him. If the person didn't quit after the first match, for the second match I would pick my second character - Black Adam - and destroy their gimmick Deathstroke (it was ALWAYS Deathstroke). After that, if they stayed, we tended to have decent matches. Unless their TrueSkill was above 25 - this was the magic number that meant I was going to be destroyed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I've actually only ever gotten one mean message. Most of them have been very nice. Then again, if I'm beating the absolute poo poo out of someone I generally back off for a bit and let them get a couple of moves out, let them see if they can land a combo while I try more dangerous stuff. If one move is beating them, I stop it for a bit and practice a different tactic for 20 seconds (then go back to beating the hell out of them with that one move) to at least give them some breathing space. I've never actually lost a game by doing this, and it makes things a little better for my opponent.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If anyone wants a laugh, head over to testyourmight.com and read the reactions to the patch changes. They're eating each other.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That is some sloppy-rear end coding. Wow.

On a different note, what really has impressed me was their buff of Bane. He needs more love but it's no longer an impossible struggle against an opponent who understands zoning - just a difficult one. Plus a great new free skin! Pretty happy about that.

I'm not convinced that the third character is going to be Zod - genuinely curious to see how it shakes out. If they knock it out of the park with the third and fourth characters, I'll buy the season pass.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Over on the Bane forums, they've discovered that the Level 3 Venom Cooldown debuff has been tinkered with outside of the patch notes. The "increase damage taken" part of it has been toned down.

Superman's Super:
Pre-patch:82% when hit during L3 cooldown
post-patch : 63% when hit during L3 cooldown

So hey, that's something that the patch notes didn't mention, and is pretty good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Link to Bane stuff:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/thank-you-nrs.32771/page-8#post-874877

Also the Bane forum is pretty enjoyable right now, a bad character got thrown a bone and the players are smiling ear-to-ear and crowing about how much better the character is. A nice break from all the "my character is RUINED" crybaby stuff from yesterday.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Are they sure it isn't because the debuff ends before the super does now?

I can't test it right now, but that super takes a bit to finish.

People have tested other moves and said they are less, but perhaps that has the same explanation as well? Really good point.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I just got called a spammer and quit on because I hit Nightwing with Bane's d1 3 times in a row. A new low. This was someone with several hundred matches too (who hidden counter picked Nightwing after I chose Bane). I just started laughing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Batman is incredible.

I whispered "no, oh no!" when I saw that Swamp Thing reveal. Come ON! IT'S loving SWAMP THING!

Edit: Interstellar Owl, where ARE you reading this bullshit?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 22, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jmcrofts thanks for posting those match ups. Catwoman is one of my bad matchups (the other 3 are Supes, Doomsday, and Batman) so I appreciate the video.

Regarding meter: Bane has nothing worthwhile to spend meter on but charges, b3 and f3, and body press (did you know that if you meter burn the body press you can choose the direction that Bane throws them afterwards? probably but I thought I would mention it). Because of this, I've started deliberately saving meter and using his super more - working it into combos and with the L3 Venom and it's pretty gross. I also use it to armor f3, using the SICK rear end fact that if you point-blank Bane's f3 it's a cross up.

Again, thanks for posting matchups guys. Keep them coming - I enjoy watching them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Here's PerfectLegend. He plays Bane at 10 minutes in and 1 hour 13 minutes in. He does...well. Refers to the character as "Godlike" several times, although to be fair the Batman wasn't playing that great and kind of cracks under the pressure.

http://www.twitch.tv/beyondgaming/b/406485675

Glad I stuck with this character. He's fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

There's also db2~MB in the corner (which sets up an almost inescapable command grab on their wakeup) and dbMB bounce cancel off either b11 or 113 which you can follow with j2 123 XX db1 or j2 22 XX dbf3.

I can't get the bounce-cancel working online, so I forgot about it. Thank you for these additions.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Zatanna is whose sidekick, again?

Somewhere, Paul Dini's eye just started twitching. He has no idea why.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Help requested: As Bane, I've gotten in three situations that I really didn't like.

1) Hawkgirl activates trait, sits in the upper corner of the screen, spams mace or dive when I try to get in.

2) Superman's air dash. Makes cornering him a bitch and his keep-away zoning game disgusting. Also works as a mediocre cross-up tool. I couldn't find an answer to this before my opponent quit out after 2 games.

3) Grundys that just use armor and meter to walk through everything you do and grab you.

Advice appreciated so very much.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 24, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Thank you Shadow Ninja. I really appreciate the advice.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

How the he'll can somebody seriously get upset about BnB combos?

I would say they were a Soul Calibur 2 fan, where combos played a reduced role as far as I can remember. I looked in Wikipedia and was freaking out - has it really been 10 years since I played Soul Calibur 2? Crazy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

AndyElusive posted:

They played as much of a roll in SC2 as they do in most any other fighter. I suspect because of its attempts to market itself to a wide audience on all 3 of the major consoles out at the time plus its console exclusive characters attributed to a percentage of players getting it and not giving a poo poo about combos due to house rules or gamer honor or whatever.

Well back in 2003 there weren't fighting streams or anything like that, so I've actually never seen high level SC2. I remember there being a couple of follow-up moves but long combo strings...I just don't remember there being any. But that doesn't mean they weren't there - I don't have the eye of the tiger or will to win or whatever. I'm not good at figuring out what's abuseable in these games - I rely on the fine folks of this forum to give me guidance.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

gannyGrabber posted:

Pretty sure Soul Calibur 2 was entirely about picking Link and just doing his horizontal throw to ring people out.

Playing a fighting game on the Gamecube? In some countries, they take your hands for that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I would be happy to see Power Girl if

a) she was a Grappler with some weird air stuff
b) she was the Alex Ross version without the boob window (i.e. a female bodybuilder/powerlifter build)

Neither of these things will happen, so let's go Swamp Thing!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Spaceman Bill posted:

The most important dlc question: where the gently caress is my 70s Green Arrow skin

I hope it changes the win pose, but only if you beat Green Lantern - Green Lantern stands up, says "Sure you've beaten me, Green Arrow, but what are you going to do about THIS?" and gestures toward the viewer. Green Arrow looks out of the screen at some off-camera tableau and exclaims, "My ward...is a JUNKIE?!?!" The win pose then loops on GA's shocked expression.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

AndyElusive posted:

I think a lot of people expecting unique win animations for certain DLC are underestimating the work required for NRS to implement since the only unique intros and win poses come from Regime Supes and Yellow Lantern. Either that or NRS is just being a really slack in that department.

Interesting "behind the scenes" info: the way that NetherRealms does the characters is that each character + outfit combination is it's own character; to the Injustice engine, Boss Grundy is as distinct from the basic Solomon Grundy as Superman is from Green Lantern.

Frankly I think it's a terrible way to go about doing it, but it does allow you some advantages: namely, that each character costume can potentially get a specific win pose/voice/intro because they are, in effect, all different characters with shared movesets.

Now I admit I've never made a fighting game, but I can't imagine animating an 8 second win pose (particularly one that doesn't interact with any other character) is a lot of work compared to balancing moves, tweaking frame data, etc. But what do I know? (nothing)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah me neither. But the good news is, all those win quotes and clash dialogue and poo poo can be one of the areas they improve in Injustice 2: We Did a Good Job the First Time, Here's More Cosmetic Stuff for you Comics Fans.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If Martian Manhunter's trait is not the ability to see your opponent's button presses a la training mode I'm going to be very disappointed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's a gimmick combo that's never going to occur timed perfectly on a Bane at maximum Venom (so he deals more damage) performed on a Bane on Venom cooldown (so he takes more damage) before the patch lowered the amount of damage Bane takes on Venom cooldown.

So yes, the damage is "right" but it's not something you're ever going to see.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Holy Calamity! posted:

Here's my tier list, i expect this to change a bit here and there as the months go on but it's pretty solid imo.

Well, I see your main and my main are at the top, so I absolutely agree with this!

:)

Seriously I like Evil Canadian's a lot, I agree with him that there's no garbage tier but there definitely is an "SS" tier where you have tons of easy safe options that you can just cycle through. I may be a scrub but at least I put the onus of that on myself, and not on my character (it's Bane, I love him but he needs some work).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I like Scorpion's intro, super, and clash. I do not like his design and I don't like having a MK character in my Comic Book Mans fighting game (yes, I am a child). So this probably just saved me buying the season pass. I don't care about Lobo and I don't care about Scorpion.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I wish they would release patch notes. Unless nothing changed, of course.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bane's Double Punch now neutral on block. Yessssssss. More improvements to Bane. Gratefully accepted. Waiting on patch notes for the official word.

(Also that sucks poo poo about Wonder Woman's bugged move.)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I bought the Red Son 2.0 pack (seriously, those skins are GREAT) and I can't find it either. It never downloaded anything...here's hoping for the best.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Foodahn posted:

I don't know why. I'm awful at fighting games and I have little to no interest in superheroes. Should be awesome. Is there a character that is generally regarded as terrible but is still fun to play?

There are no terrible characters, but one of the weaker ones with a fun playstyle is Bane, if you like getting in and pressuring your opponent.

There are lots of better characters for that, though. Does someone have that handy chart of characters that lists their playstyles? I can't find it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I'm still holding out hope that Zod was a troll the whole time, like they did with the MK9 DLC, and MMH is the final character in the first set.

As much as I would like that, the reality is that they're going to be announcing this 4th character on television, next week, a few days before one of the most marketed superhero movies and summer tentpoles ever. And that movie just happens to feature Superman. It would be pure foolishness to make that character Martian Manhunter and not a legendary Superman villiain.

Which means, essentially, that it's almost certainly Zod. And the television show is almost certainly Late Night With Jimmy Fallon.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MrJacobs posted:

How can you misspell Terrance Stamp so badly?

Everyone who has seen Man of Steel says that Shannon does a great Zod without stepping on Stamp's toes. They're both very different, very cool interpretations of the character and I'll be glad to get either one of them in the game.

I hope to have both the "armor" outfit and the "black" outfit, with appropriate voices. Also I would like Mike Tyson's Punch Out and some quarters for the arcade. --MMJS, Age 10

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Electric Crayon posted:

I just picked up this game on sale and am going to play against some far more skilled players who are familiar with the game tonight. Who is the cheapest, easiest to use character with the most abusable strategies :unsmigghh:

Lobo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

(Also JM, what are your Bane combos?)

I'll step in for jm, as I main Bane and am low-end mediocre with him. I'm sure he'll correct me. Or Shadow Ninja 64, that guy is great.

Bane is not a combo character per say, he generally gets about 30% off his combos and spending meter on them isn't usually worth it (some exceptions below). Bane's specialty is knocking characters down and then using his Venom armor to beat them to a pulp as they get up (sometimes called "wakeup" or "oki" games).

Bane's basic combo is b23 123xxdbf3 which hits for around 34%. You can replace the dbf3 (which is the Body Press command throw) with db1 (Ring Toss), bf2 (Double Punch), or db2 (Venom Upper) to get slightly less damage but better positioning in some cases. Oh, also the Default Body press takes a while to execute and burns Venom, so it's generally a better idea to finish with Venom Upper, which has the best positioning after the end of the combo string and a small damage reduction. If your Venom is going to run out anyway, do the Body Press though and burn some recovery time.

When Bane knocks an opponent down he starts his wakeup game. There are 3 attacks that Bane can choose from and, provided he is under the influence of Venom, give an opponent without a teleport a very low chance of escaping:

1) Double Punch (bf2) beats most Wakeup attacks, block low, and jumping out. Weak to blocking high and some backdashes. Is also a pretty puny attack, honestly - but it has decent carry and once Bane gets you in the corner, WATCH OUT
2) Body Press (dbf3) beats a good amount of wakeup attacks and any sort of blocking at all. Weak to jumping out and throw-immune wakeups, also some backdashes.
3) Master of Disguise starter (b23), if timed correctly, beats all kinds of weird poo poo and blocking high. Also gets you a full combo. Weak to blocking low and a pretty decent smattering of wakeups. Actually really good at catching backdashes.

I know I said there were 3 attacks, but there's a fourth:

4) Against teleporting opponents, Bane can use his b112 combo to interrupt their teleport provided he deliberately misses with the first b1

Edit: There's more too, but those are the major ones you're going to use most of the time.

So basically, once an opponent gets knocked down, you make sure they don't get back up again by using these various attacks.

Bane has bad matchups with (IMO)

Characters with teleports, even with the b112 tech they can just start doing other wakeup attacks instead and now Bane's usual 33/66 has been reduced to a 50/50.
Characters with good backdashes (Black Adam!!!!) they get up and back dash and the pressure momentum is gone
Characters who are zoners (if Bane doesn't get in and connect, he's dead)
Batman (seriously, he has an answer to every single wakeup and move in Bane's arsenal and total space control. Bane is a pinata to this guy)

Hope this helps, remember I'm not very good but neither are most of the people online.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zod sounds cool, but I was planning to buy the season pass at 50% off in a year. Guess I'll have to wait.

Also, come ooooooon Jimmy Fallon reveal! Then my prediction will have come true.

• Locked thread