Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
Is there a particular IRC channel the Injustice people are using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Videotendo posted:

Hey, did anyone more casual with the game on XBL wanna play around later? I won't be off work until 3pm MST, but if you want, you can add my tag. It's HonorableThief.

I love playing with the hardcore people here, but sometimes it feels like I watch for 10 minutes to get annihilated in 10 seconds.

You should just play 1v1s with someone. If you're bad, you might lose in 10 seconds, but at least you can do it over and over instead of waiting 10 minutes!

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Interstellar Owl posted:

If you were Joey Aces, sorry, I was getting lag, dunno if it was you or me. I keep getting lag and none of my inputs I practice in practice/single player seem to go through.

They should be going through fine, just on a delay. If you're failing inputs on cancels or are completing strings you don't want to, you might be panic mashing. The game really, really wants clean inputs and punishes extra button presses in ways most games games don't really seem to do.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Interstellar Owl posted:

Was watching Alex Valle play him, doesn't look like he has long strings of ridiclous combo, his normals and moves do enough dmg even with 2-5 hit combos. It seems to rely a lot on just mixing it up a lot with the teeth/gun, a lot of crowbar use.

If you aren't opposed to using meter, any starter into MB low gas, b3, j2, 212 xx flower will easily break 40% and it's a pretty easy combo. Replacing the j2 with j3 into d3 will also end the combo in an untechable knockdown at sweep range. The timing on the j3 is a little weird, though, since you need to do it pretty low to the ground but not too low to the ground. Ending with 32 into far teeth is also supposed to work.

Joker isn't going to do ridiculous 50% combos, but he has combos that do good damage.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
Batgirl's b2d3 string goes from overhead to low and is special canceable.

Has anyone played with that? I couldn't get anything more than 33% off of it but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to get more.

checkstock fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 21, 2013

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
I'm really liking the way Batgirl feels, but goddamn, after months of hardly playing fighting games at all outside of weekly meetups, I'm not sure my execution is up to this poo poo.

Such sloppy inputs. :(

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

gannyGrabber posted:

Messing around with Batgirl... Can't seem to pull out any really good damage, but I found a few quick and dirty ways to take a bit out of them.

b2 xx bola seems to work, but the timing is very tight on it. You have to dial it in or it doesn't work, so it's not terribly safe. When it hits, though, you're in range to dash forward and then do a b3 into a j whatever.

j3 db2 UP is a really easy way to deal 23% and knock them away. db2 is also really good for closing distances, as it'll hit them if they try to jump over you.

And corner the best damage I have so far is b12 11 11 11 11 df2. I'm sure there's a better thing to be doing though.

At any rate, claws seem to do a 1.2x dmg multiplier on fist attacks i.e. 2% becomes 2.4%, whereas electric fists do a +.5% chip damage on attacks, from what i can tell.

You can get a lot more off of the b2 since she has two good strings out of. b2d3 hits overhead and and then goes into a low and is special canceable and b2u3 puts them into a juggle state.

So what I've been seeing is that off b2 you might want to try these combos:

b2d3 xx bf3 MB, b3, j3, 212 xx db2u
b2u3, b2u3, j2, f21 xx df2 MB, f21 xx db2u
b2u3, b2u3, j2, 212 xx db2u

And the biggest corner combo I've seen is b1 xx db2u, f23, f23 xx df2 MB, f23 xx df2 which is 51%, but I haven't messed around with any corner stuff.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Interstellar Owl posted:

I posted this earlier, but I'm still having trouble, any tips on cancelling into combos? Like the xx in the combo strings I find on TestYourMight?

You're just going to have to practice. It's really as simple as doing the motion and pressing the button when you want to stop the string and go into the special move. There are no special techniques and there is no big advice anyone can really give you. You just have to learn the timings on the different strings you want to cancel.

Well, also check in training mode that you aren't entering extra inputs into your strings because that makes you unable to cancel them.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
Anyone want to play on Xbox?

I've barely played in the past three weeks and I need someone to kick my rear end.

Edit: Good games, Punkboy.

I think I might like Batgirl a lot even if I can't do anything with her online.

checkstock fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 25, 2013

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
So someone from my scene found something that might be new tech tonight.

http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/new-tech-works-for-everyone-in-the-game.33164/

That post is horrible to read and he put it in the Grundy forum for some reason so I guess I can explain it in actual English.

If you get a knockdown and then go for a meaty normal, if your opponent does an invincible wakeup move, you can cancel your whiffed normal into a special move or super or whatever.

This might be a big deal? I don't know.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

WarEternal posted:

If they just wake up blocking you're going to whiff a special move and get punished, correct? Unless it's a safe special, obviously.

Yeah, it's not something you'll be able to use all the time every time, but it is potentially something else you'll have to worry about on wakeup. It means that seeing your opponent hitting a button and immediately going into an invincible special might not always be the best idea and everything else that comes with that. I imagine it's a lot better for some characters than others. Really, you're not even whiffing the normal, it's just hitting during the invincibility frames, which the game is treating as still hitting even though it doesn't do anything.

I guess this was also in MK9 and NRS is really good at making fighting games.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Seymour Butts posted:

With Batgirl what move do you use to pop them up before shooting the bolo? For instance I do b2, 3, and then after the pop up what do I do?

b2u3, b2u3, d2 xx bola, j2, 111 is what you do. After the 111 you can make them guess high or low but you'll pretty much have time to do anything you want.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
I'm going to be on for a bit. If anyone wants to beat up an awful Batgirl, let me know!

GT is UtilityAxis

Edit:

So uh, I decided to play some player matches and what is it with people never not jumping? I know how hard it is to not jump a lot, but goddamn. It's okay to keep your feet on the ground for longer than a quarter of a second at a time.

checkstock fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 30, 2013

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

nunsexmonkrock posted:

If I see a room start in the thread and I'm around I'll join. That's just only happened once though. :)

WW's air tiara throws aren't as bad as I thought they were. In the air it out zoned Nightwings electric ground attack and his jumping thrown batarang things. Maybe it will work on Superman's air heat vision. Demigodess' Might only works 50/50 for me when I use it on him.

Also, don't be afraid to hit people up for 1v1s. Sometimes KoTH and survivor gets pretty old when the rooms get crowded and grinding out games against someone that doesn't hate you and everything about you because you do unfair things like try to play like you're not brain damaged is actually pretty useful for getting better if that's something you want to do.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Do people actually care about these things rather than just having fun?

But to add to the discussion Wonder Woman would be more rounded if her tiara wasn't so hard to hit someone with.

Considering that fighting games have a pretty thriving competitive scene where anyone can get involved with relatively small monetary investment and with tournaments that are open to pretty much everyone, yes they do. A lot of people do.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
I'm finding that my character crisis in this game is really killing my motivation to ever play it and get better than terrible at it.

Someone should tell me who to play without knowing anything about me or what I like.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

I know stance change was a left over from some early mechanic NRS was loving around with in MK9 but it baffles me why it's even in Injustice.

Did they intend on using it for something (again) and then remove it last second (again) ?

They needed another button for you to press meter burn with for supers.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
Also, Hawkgirl is terrible so that's an issue for her.

I just spent an hour messing around with Wonder Woman and she feels like the sort of character I might actually like to play. Be back in a day when I hate her and never want to play Injustice ever again.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
Good games, strangemusic.

I have no idea what anyone does! Except for Batman and Superman. I know what they do.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
If you join a multiplayer game through an invite or whatnot without going to the main menu first, all your DLC and costumes disappear.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
No, it's not permanent. I can't remember if you can just back out to the main menu or if you need to actually restart the game to make it do a DLC check, though.

It's pretty annoying either way.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Did Batgirl's free meter burn get fixed?

No, but it doesn't really matter. There's no reason to meter burn bola now that the infinite is gone.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Awesome Andy posted:

Because they didn't want to animate two different sides every time you stance swapped if I'm not mistaken.
I've hit a wall with this game, I just can't do complicated combos at all, anything over three moves is impossible so I just do my best to spam and put myself in favorable positions.
I win sometimes and I feel like I have a good grasp of the game but it kinds sucks not being able to do cool looking combos.
Also I hope Zod is cool and they they extend the story mode with season 2.

What kind of trouble are you having with the combos?

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Foodahn posted:

Unrelated question: I've been browsing TestYourMight and I see references to "Vortex"s.. vortices? What is a vortex? Is it character specific (Batgirl in this case) or is it a technique that is common to fighting games that I just don't know about yet.

It's usually character specific, but it's when a character can force you into blocking high or low and/or guess which side to block over and over. While most characters can do this to some degree, vortex setups are generally inescapable to some degree until you guess right.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
Does anyone here actually still play on Xbox anymore?

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

There's a bunch of Xbox goons who play Injustice all the time. I could rattle at least six names off the top of my head.

Every time I see someone on my friends list in Injustice and not in a KoTH, I never get any response and I have very, very little interest in full KoTH or Survivor rooms.

I guess a better question is there anyone on Xbox interested in beating up a bad player in 1v1s?

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Fingers McLongDong posted:

GGs again today checkstock. You were doing a lot better today and were putting the pressure on a lot more efficiently today. I think you use up too much meter with the mb batarangs though, they don't do much damage even if you catch me jumping and don't seem to be an efficient use. Also, you were kinda going hog wild with wakeups there, even when I started baiting them so be careful about that. If you get a knock down on lantern, be absolutely sure that your mixup is really meaty, when I see people jump or hit buttons as I get up I will always land a ring grab.

Wait, what? Are you sure that was me? I've been at work all day.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Holy Calamity! posted:

Complaints about lag are the best because conditions are obviously identical for both players. If someone's clearly dropping bnb's because of a few choice hiccups that's one thing but almost anytime someone complains they were just plainly outplayed.

I don't know, man, I've definitely played with people where I couldn't do the simplest poo poo because the delay on my end was so bad playing the game felt like trying to walk through knee high mud and everything was coming out so late that even if it connected, my followup would whiff hard, but then they'd bust out their big 35+% combos apparently with no issue.

Maybe they're just more used to it? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
The game feels fluid? That's not a word you ever hear anyone use to describe an NRS fighting game.

• Locked thread