Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I know this is the console thread, but I don't see one for PC yet. I just got Injustice on the PC and I can't even get through the motherfucking tutorial. I'm trying to use an old corded XBox 360 controller and it took me goddamn forever to get past the Block tutorial, and now I can't even throw a goddamn Batarang. It won't register back-forward-Y for some reason. It is driving me absolutely insane. I've tried recalibrating my controller three times now. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are you using the D-pad or the analog stick? I've always found D-pads are better for fighters, but the 360's pad is garbage, so that may not be the case here.

I've been playing this at a friend's place, since I don't own my own copy, and even though I can hold my own (okay, I'm the only one that routinely plays fighters, so I usually win), but I can't figure out what circle on the PS3 version does for the life of me. Googling hasn't given me results, either. Can someone just give me a super-quick rundown? All I can see is "power move" and it usually seems to do nothing obvious.

Trying both.. neither are working out for me. I got further using the keyboard, but gently caress that on a fighting game. Ugh.. I waited so long for this goddamn game to hit PC, seems like I wasted my money. Maybe I need to invest in a generic game controller or something.

Edit: Yeah, just ordered a Logitech controller. I think this 360 one sat in a drawer bured under stuff too long, even after calibrations the straight left and right on the controller seems to register that I'm aiming slightly downward. The Logitech controllers have the Playstation style D-pad with disconnected buttons that I've always preferred.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 14, 2013

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Rookersh posted:

So is it just me, or is the 360 controller kind of a piece of poo poo for these games?

The analog stick is way to imprecise, and constantly interprets my side to side as "jump like a loving idiot.". Finally halfway through the tutorial, stuck on a specific combo move I started using the D-Pad, and yeah, it's better, but just barely. A solid 30-40% of my inputs are just ignored, or misinterpreted ( still jump half the time ).

Finally plugged in my DS3 and easily cleared the entire tutorial, no problems using the d-pad.

Had similar problems with MK9. I can't imagine one controller type is that off, especially since so many people play the 360 version. What am I missing?

Had the exact same experience. Don't have a DS so I'm ordering a Logitech game pad. Here's hoping that I can play whenever it shows up. :smith:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Fenn the Fool! posted:

It's completely possible to play this game with a 360 pad, there are just some hiccups learning to because it requires a set of skills that you don't find in any other genera. In most games if you input a direction that's a bit off you can correct it as you move and it doesn't really matter; in this game being just a handful of degrees off means you get a jump or crouch you didn't want. There are lots of people that play at a high level on a 360 pad, but getting to that point takes time.

Knowing that it is hypothetically possible to use isn't a lot of comfort when my standing block can easily turn into a crouching block or a backwards jump just because the stick is being finicky, and 90% of the combos suddenly become neigh impossible unless I have the thumb dexterity of a robot.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Ugh. I got a new controller, but I still suck at this game. I did get much further in the tutorial, but starting with the advanced combos I'm absolutely trash. It's like I'm hitting all the right buttons for, say, the Batarang combo, not not in the exact time constraints that they want. If the combo starts with double-tapping X, it only registers one because I did it too fast, or I'll time it to get both but I can't land the timing on the next half. I can do each piece individually though. It's maddening. Guess I'm just not a fighting game guy. I'm just going to easy-mode button mash it through the story to get my money's worth with the story. :smith:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Fellblade posted:

The problem you are likely having is that you are pushing too many buttons.

If it says double tap X into a special move and you triple tap it, it just won't work. Precision before speed/timing.

I'm going to suck at this game then, haha. I think I sat here for 10 minutes last night trying to hammer down one combo before giving up and launching into story mode. I don't exactly seem to need them, though, just button mashing is getting me through. Don't worry, I won't dare hop online to ruin anyone's evening.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Now that I'm actually playing, I'm landing a few of them. This game is really fun and fluid. I think I enjoyed Aquaman and Green Arrow the most, just their range and speed. Ironically, Batman feels the most clunky to me, so maybe that's the reason I was having trouble in the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Washin Tong posted:

Well, you could say it feels more fluid for new players in the sense that you can mostly dial out the combo you want and see the Cool Stuff happen without learning the stricter timing required for other games like SF or KoF. It feels a lot better when you're just starting out to take a fighter beyond the button mashing phase.

If you're already good at Capcom/SNK type games then yes, Injustice will feel weird and clunky.

The last fighting game I've touched was Soul Caliber 2 on Game Cube back when it was new.. so yeah. It's been a while.

• Locked thread