Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Yeah let's all do thing and meet up in 30, ready...break!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Ggs gimea rubdown. Reallly had to go to bed. I had a poo poo connection to that rugpisser guy and couldn't block boulders and block/dash on reaction so I just went full rampage with doomsday before I left. You should get up with arikado or someone and learn flash stuff. You kinda hung yourself when we played and let me just wait for a punish usually.

Ggs, and don't worry, I know. I'm aware of every time I do an unsafe move/combo, half the time it's just a hosed up input, the other times I'm just panicking. I'm still looking to get with Arikado asap to practice though. Tonight I'm loving around more than anything, not really at the top of my game.

I really loved Rugpisser's name.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Fingers McLongDong posted:

He's a setup based character who never has time to set stuff up. I'd love for someone to surprise me though.

Isn't there the potential to cancel knockdowns / juggles into setup moves (mines, drone) that would limit your opponent's movement options and allow Lex to counter whatever they have to do to get around the trap that's about to stun/interrupt them? It would all hinge on knowing exactly what your opponent's going to do to answer a particular trap- If you knock someone back and throw down a mine in one string they're either going to use a projectile or teleport/jump around it, and hopefully a good Lex would be able to predict such and immediately punish it after setting up the trap.

Or does that seem like an impossibility?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Interstellar Owl posted:

Are there any characters are that easier to learn and don't require perfect execution/insane combos/etc to learn for a beginner person? I've tried a bunch of people and I just have a hard time learning these insane combo strings (still haven't gotten down canceling) I see on TestYourMight

Flash. I played hundreds of matches before I even started working on cancel combos. Block, punish, repeat. Study your opponent's routine and once you get in on them mix it up with overhead attacks, lows, and grabs in quick succession. As you go against better opponents you'll be forced to learn which moves are safe or not, and start mixing in combos as you can.

Grundy's also pretty newbie friendly if you want easy combos from what I hear.

e: What rugpisser suggests is basically the zoner version of this, playing Flash will force you to learn the fundamentals of blocking and getting in on someone and playing a zoner will teach you the fundamentals of exploiting others.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Krad posted:

Flash is one of the least newbie-friendly chars to use effectively, why would you suggest that? :psyduck:

Green Lantern is a good option, so's Doomsday.

They asked for someone who can do well without dialing in fancy combos, Flash suited that purpose for me as someone who was 100% fresh to fighting games. Though I suppose a zoner would suit this purpose a lot better, I had a natural aversion towards them for some reason.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Really, though, the thing you have to remember when you see those giant strings on TYM or here is that you don't need to do those to win. Those are for people looking to maximize their damage with the characters they've picked and spent a lot of time practicing with. You aren't going to pick up Superman and do one of his page-long combos right away and it's silly to try. You'll get more mileage out of learning to block, learning to anticipate overheads, learning how to dash forwards and backwards to keep pressure or run away, learning what moves and strings are safe and under what conditions.

Sitting down and telling yourself "I need to be able to do this 10 step combo to be good with this character" is just going to make you frustrated and mad. Pick a character you like and want to get better with. The whole cast is balanced pretty well and unless you're going to EVO you'll be able to stomp on people in ranked no matter who you pick.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to get at, ignore the suggestion of The Flash. I guess I just arbitrarily stuck with him because Flash owns.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Spacebump posted:

Am I weird for wishing they made a Wally West Flash alternate? (and a Kyle Rayner GL alt.)

Shh. It IS Wally under there.

AndyElusive posted:

This game makes people so upset that when I actually give props to someone for almost kicking my rear end and pulling off some sick corner combos with Arrow I literally get flamed back.

Maybe it's just Sinestro and how easy people think he is to play that does it to folks.

It's not my fault I push blocked you during your sick mix up. Pressed the jet take off and then smashed a robot into your face. Stage transition me next time you big baby. Sheesh!

Adrenaline does nasty things to some people. At least I assume everyone else's heart is racing like crazy at the end of a tense matchup.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 14, 2013

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Just got matched against a total newbie in player matches who was doing nothing but walking forward and pressing light/medium. I played a few matches as Flash explaining each mechanic I was using to punish him (Environment, charge whenever he wasn't blocking, overheads and grabs etc) and suggesting what he should try to do so he doesn't get punished by each. He didn't have a mic but he was obviously listening and within a few minutes he was consistently blocking and trying to counter things. He was bouncing from character to character so I started playing Harley so I could learn along with him and explained how I was testing out moves and developing a strategy. Quickly began zoning him nonstop as he for some reason was keen to downblock constantly at midscreen which would eat it from Harley's bomb thing. He started using Superman after I described his imba super and wide variety of options.

I basically just regurgitated everything I learned from you guys and 10 matches later he was consistently punishing me with Superman :3: I just kept using the same moves at the same ranges (which was destroying him at first) and it was so fun watching him adapt and start blocking consistently. He went from never metering once and haphazardly using his super move to punishing me with his Super and mb eye lazers whenever I downblocked as well. It was so cute!! He thanked me for "showing him the ropes" afterwords.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 14, 2013

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Crowetron posted:

What's the policy on mics in Goon rooms? I was thinkin' about picking this up again after neglecting it for a week or so and seeing how thrashed I get, but my mic is dead.

No policy or expectations, if people don't recognize your name they might assume you're a pubbie and give you poo poo but you can just use the ingame chat to say you're a goon and no one will mind. Mics always make things more fun but it's not like people will get upset if you don't have one.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
GOONroom up on XBL if anyone wants to 1v1 or Survivor!

Soonmot posted:

I've seen the term "push block" mentioned a few times and it doesn't seem to be in the OP. What does it mean? Just normal push back to block?

Press meter right as a block connects and it will push 'em back!

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Interstellar Owl posted:

Tried to improve my Doomsday game but there was so much drat lag. My bad guys.

It happens, no big deal. GGs all (note: do not feel obligated to say GG or despair when others don't, I just freakin LOVe manners!!)

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Interstellar Owl posted:

Not sure which your Gamer Tag was, but any tips?

I was gimea RUBDOWN, the Flash player. As Joey Aces aptly put it, "Play a lot of people." Doing a ton of 1v1s against better players is the best way to improve. Just do player matches, lots of people are looking for easy wins.

e: That is, do player matches if you can't find any goons to 1v1. Didn't mean to make it sound like you shouldn't seek to play people here if you're bad, that's probably the best thing to do.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 15, 2013

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AndyElusive posted:

Overheads and jump-ins.

And I'll be on in about that time.

Don't forget grabs! :flashfact:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

PantsBandit posted:

Was just about to post about that. A good Harley is among the most entertaining characters to watch.

This is seriously amazing. First time I've seen a Harley of this caliber.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Ok, now that I've played every stage a bunch I can finally just vote Atlantis every single time. Hands down the best stage for Flash, I catch zoners (especially Black Adam) offguard all the time by sliding on the tubes.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

gannyGrabber posted:

Really? The tubes are a deathtrap! I have very rarely seen them get used where the person using them wasn't immediately punished for it. And Atlantis is really bad for gadget characters, the globe/plaque and the aquariums on the side both favor power characters really heavily. As a gadget you should be voting for Gotham City's Alley or Watchtower, to take advantage of the transitions/interactables.

Nah, not if you know when to use 'em. When some characters get a reprieve from getting rushed down they'll almost certainly try to poke with their ranged attacks, and if I time it right I can fly right over it and attack them from behind before they can recover. As Flash I want people in the corner as much as possible so no transitions is a benefit, and I have ways of punishing people if they're making their way to the water. That or I can usually get out of the way in time. If they MB it for armor so be it, it's a sacrifice I'll gladly take for such a small map with no transitions.

Also Flash should never get hit by an intractable thrown by a heavy, ever. I'm at the point where I phase and punish ~75% of the time.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

gannyGrabber posted:

But you're squandering your potential! Flash basically gets free transitions with his trait, and the fact you move so fast allows you to very quickly take advantage of any other interactables that pop up. To each his own, I guess, but personally I feel like all my worst matches happen in Atlantis. Symmetry is boring!

A good Flash will get 40-50% damage every time they activate their trait anyway, I prefer being able to consistently keep people in the corner rather than having the option of doing some unclashable damage. I'm still improving so that could change, though!

For me, "taking advantage of the interactables" has become waiting for other people to use them so I can phase -> lightning charge before they hit the ground. Obviously if it works out that I'm able to throw them inbetween attacks that's great but you should never really actively try to get to something, most characters have ways of punishing such.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Thanks for posting the streams everyone, please continue doing so. I fuckin' love this poo poo.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
b:l's Black Adam is nuts, I'm picking up the character after watching that.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AndyElusive posted:

Good games tonight Calamity! gently caress Atlantis. Ferris all day.

And don't ask me how I was able to tech all your throw attempts. I was just on it tonight, I guess.

Good games man, you're a machine. Playing with you and the other goons is seriously the best thing, it makes doing regular player matches easymode the vast majority of the time. People compliment my Flash left and right and then yall humble the poo poo out of me.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Aphrodite posted:

Let's not vote for the 2 characters with literally unlimited potential for cool moves.

Guess this proves that hardly anyone cared about Young Justice, which gave both those characters a lot of love. What a shame.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I've got high hopes for this game. It was my introduction to the FGC so I might be biased but in checking out streams one of the things Injustice has going for it is that it's cinematic as hell, and also less...busy? Than the other fighting games that get a lot of play, so it might get by on sheer mass appeal.

I mean I get that players won't gravitate towards it just because it looks good, and it's about the mechanics, but I know some casuals at work who would never otherwise watch videogames who have started checking out tournament streams.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AndyElusive posted:

:golfclap:

You done good here, NRS. You done good.

I'm really hosed the next time we fight.

Er, I mean, :supaburn: Flash is imba underpowered! No Flash buffs?? NRS IS loving ME!!:supaburn:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AndyElusive posted:

You mean you don't want to play superhero with me until the Batgirl patch?

Daww, I thought the patch was sooner! I fell off the last few days, will definitely be on tonight or tomorrow.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
People sent me SO much loving hate mail when I first started playing as Flash and consistently won using nothing but super moves. I'd sweep the leg four times until they'd finally low block and then do his flying overhead. Combine this with blocking and punishing projectiles and people would constantly send me "learn to play human being", etc.

That was before I started trying to do combos, now people mostly say "Sick flash" :toot:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
So, uh, have they even addressed the whole "unable to view your own hero card" thing? I expected it to be fixed within days/weeks of release, it's a pretty significant component of online play given how much poo poo it showcases. I just want to see the hero cards of the people I recently fought against :saddowns:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I'm able to do it whenever the servers are making GBS threads themselves but that doesn't really help!

Also are there any sites that are compiling correct frame info for moves? A random Nightwing online just absolutely mopped the floor with me because he was insanely patient and would punish me whenever I got near him. It seemed the only thing to do in that case was chip away at him with safe strings but I'm still not sure what those are. I know B22, 11, and the down combos are safe but that's about it. Should I basically using nothing but B22xxdf3 (or db3 if I have meter) until I finally get lucky? Good lord it's late, not only did I type most of those moves incorrectly but I totally know what's safe now that I think about it.

vvvv Thanks for this suggestion though, I really should have done it sooner.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 20, 2013

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Yeah, I meant to type df1. DF3 is one you cancel into when you don't have meter. I'm pretty sure I'm just delirious as I totally know what's safe in retrospect. It's 4am, I should've quit a few hours ago.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I like a lot of those changes although it's surprising that they didn't nerf Superman's super move. Just seems weird that its so crazy good compared to every other Super when he's already an incredibly solid character.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
:aaa:

quote:

Fixed an issue where online Hero Cards were not visible if a user had > 30 friends.

That explains why my irl friend was able to view his, yes! Best patch!

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Awesome Andy posted:

My game keeps locking up at the first loading screen, it just happened recently, any news if the patch is messing things up?
Either way I can exchange it if need be.

Clear your system cache.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
XBL room up GOONbabys, looking to 1v1.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
My hero card...it's so beautiful :negative:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Dosvidanya posted:

Here's something you can do right now in Ranked:

Pick batgirl, stay max distance and get fireballed until you have 1 bar of meter (or you know, punch them at the beginning), let them get comfortable and then dd3 mb, j2 b12 d2 bf1, 1, mb, d2, bf1, 1, mb, until they die.

Huh? Did you mean to type bf1, 1, mb? I'm trying this in practice mode and if you hit them with 1 it just breaks the bat-snare so hitting mb does nothing.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

sponsz posted:

Need to whiff the one, or use 4. Any move before MB if it doesn't hit will reset the combo.

Hahaha holy poo poo ok now I got it, that's nuts.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Dosvidanya posted:

:twisted:

It's a true infinite too, you just need to alter the timing of the d2 to punch them as soon as they reach you so the bola connects.

It's just so easy! Even if you suck you can simply do the dd3mb->d2bf1, 1, mb, d2bf1, 1, mb [forever]. Or just try to get lucky and start it with d2bf1.

I hope it doesn't take forever for a patch to get out due to Microsoft's/Sony's approval process.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

He keeps dropping it! And responding to me in chat! Really great stream.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I main Flash and Nightwing is one of my least favorite opponents as well. I always seem to do well until they switch to the pole :saddowns: You're spot on about the wakeup moves, there are a few opponents who you have to always block against when they go down and they suck for Flash.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Looking to 1v1 any other insomniac goons on XBL, in the goonroom as gimea rubdown

e: Really great games tonight Errant

e2: I'm hanging out in daily challenge / other rooms now, just send me a message or post here if anyone wants to play at this hour.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Easiest zero-skill way to beat bad people: Pick bane, venom, charge, repeat. The cooldown is so short now that this actually beats a surprising amount of players. Everyone who's patient will probably win but there are a lot of people who just can't adjust to the cheese in time.

• Locked thread