Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Does anybody want a Vello lens hood for the EF 24-105L? I accidentally bought the EF instead of the RF hood and BH is going to deduct more for the return than I spent on it. $10 shipped if anyone wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

My Canon 6D is showing its age and I'm considering a swap to mirrorless, likely the R6 mk2 with an adapter for my beloved lens collection. My dad - an enthusiast astro and landscape photographer who recently switched to mirrorless from a 6D mk2 - flagged that using the screen as a viewfinder can get challenging in certain lighting conditions, like a bright sun at your back making it hard to see the screen and compose the shot. Anyone have experience with this problem and/or ways to mitigate it? My understanding from this thread and other sources is that regardless of the downsides, going to mirrorless would be a pretty serious performance upgrade for me.

Edit: not sure what model he has but it's a Sony.

Winter Rose fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 10, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, using the live view in full sun definitely washes it out. I don't find it unusable though.. usually because my body is shading it. That's been an issue as long as live view has been around though, it's not a mirrorless specific problem.

If you actually meant issues with the EVF it is a bit worse of a situation.. I can still compose but it's definitely not as crisp. I can salvage the situation by shading the eyepiece with my left hand, but this compromises stability because then I can't balance the lens. But is it worse than DSLR? I'm not sure because I always found the image in the viewfinder significantly dimmer and low contrast than the real world. No amount of shading the eyepiece would fix that, it was just a reality that the prism dimmed the image a bit.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Winter Rose posted:

My Canon 6D is showing its age and I'm considering a swap to mirrorless, likely the R6 mk2 with an adapter for my beloved lens collection. My dad - an enthusiast astro and landscape photographer who recently switched to mirrorless from a 6D mk2 - flagged that using the screen as a viewfinder can get challenging in certain lighting conditions, like a bright sun at your back making it hard to see the screen and compose the shot. Anyone have experience with this problem and/or ways to mitigate it? My understanding from this thread and other sources is that regardless of the downsides, going to mirrorless would be a pretty serious performance upgrade for me.

Edit: not sure what model he has but it's a Sony.

Mirrorless cameras have a EVF which is a tiny LCD screen in the place where you put your eye to the optical viewfinder with your 6D. They also have an big LCD on the the back just like your DSLR, which can be used in liveview.

It's unclear what the situation you are describing here is, you are not restricted to using the LCD on the back with a mirrorless camera and the EVF is shaded with an eyecup just like your viewfinder is now, and using the screen on the back has the same issues it would on DSLR..

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Appreciate the responses! I believe he was referring to the LCD screen in his complaints. I've never used Live View much myself though. Interesting to hear about the issue with the EVF though it sounds like it comes down to personal preference between optical and EVF (and EVF and live view).

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Winter Rose posted:

Appreciate the responses! I believe he was referring to the LCD screen in his complaints. I've never used Live View much myself though. Interesting to hear about the issue with the EVF though it sounds like it comes down to personal preference between optical and EVF (and EVF and live view).

I've only ever had issues with this in extremely bright, sunny conditions with the screen angled upwards. You can also adjust the brightness of the LCD screen to compensate for conditions. I don't think this will likely be something you'll find troublesome often, though. I think I've only really run into issues while taking weird macro photos (hence the screen angled upwards, camera held low to the ground) in the summer.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
One benefit of mirrorless is that you don't need to review your photos – you already saw it in viewfinder when you captured it. I personally keep rear LCD closed like 99% of time on my R6 and flip it open only when I need low angle or something. This is the biggest user experience change IMO going from DSLR to mirrorless.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have an R and the viewfinder is very good. not perfect, it stalls for a fraction of a second after taking a shot, which I never noticed until someone pointed it out.

and of course the R doesn't have zebra striping or some way to visualise clipping.

but the benefits over dslr are incredible imo

I shoot with people a bit and when I am showing them what I've taken I get them to look in the viewfinder it's satsifying

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I was a little skeptical of the EVFs before I bought my R7, but in high FPS mode with Assist mode turned on, it's really not even that different from looking through an OVF. :shrug:

I also have the DOF button set to switch between Assist and Exp. Simulation so I can easily use both.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EVF's are safer too if you accidentally swing past the sun, you're not staring at the sun you're staring at a video image of your sensor getting holes bored into it.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Looks like Canon announced a Canon RF 10-20mm f4L.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf10-20mm-f4-l-is-stm

$2,300

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Need them to finally drop the 35 1.2 and the rumored fast 12mm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a boss lens for them to release but holy cow 10mm is wide. That's the sort of thing you think you need in your bag "just in case" and then never touch it.

I got the cheapie 16mm and have taken maybe five frames with it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I had the old Sigma 8-16 APS-C and it was fun as hell but this is even wider than that.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

xzzy posted:

That's a boss lens for them to release but holy cow 10mm is wide. That's the sort of thing you think you need in your bag "just in case" and then never touch it.

I got the cheapie 16mm and have taken maybe five frames with it.

I exclusively use my 14-24 Sigma for city travel. Used to be the EF-S 10-24 but the wider the better for me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I exclusively use my 14-24 Sigma for city travel. Used to be the EF-S 10-24 but the wider the better for me.

Interesting. Those seem too low for me. Do you never want to get a tighter look at something going on farther away from you?

xzzy posted:

I'm the complete opposite of that, 24-105 is the perfect lens for me. Reasonably wide and sufficient zoom for some detail stuff. Just a great does-it-all lens.

This is the new lens I just bought for travel purposes, after my last trip I got sick of lugging around four lenses while walking 15 miles a day. I got the F4-F7.1 version for budget reasons, so I'll bring along my 35mm 1.8 for once the sun goes down. Two lenses feels reasonable, plus I have a Ricoh GRiiix that I may or may not bring along (fits in my pocket). It's 40mm lens is really close to the 35, but its fun to use and can do the same "film simulation" thing as the Fuji X100V that is all the rage

blue squares fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 11, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm the complete opposite of that, 24-105 is the perfect lens for me. Reasonably wide and sufficient zoom for some detail stuff. Just a great does-it-all lens.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

blue squares posted:

Interesting. Those seem too low for me. Do you never want to get a tighter look at something going on farther away from you?

In cities, I mostly photograph architecture so that's what I usually go with. If I know in advance I might want another lens I'll bring one, e.g. my last trip to Trieste was the 14-24 and the 150-600, since I knew the Barcolana regatta was happening on that weekend.

For hiking etc. I'll bring the ultrawide and whatever else seems most useful.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Marklar posted:

Looks like Canon announced a Canon RF 10-20mm f4L.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf10-20mm-f4-l-is-stm

$2,300

I'm so used to APS-C focal lengths and kind of rolled my eyes at the price for an F/4 lens. Took me a few posts to do the math on 10mm on FF. That's pretty incredible. That said, the times I need wider than 12mm APS-C (19mm FF equivalent) have all been landscapes where I can just stitch together multiple shots with the bonus of additional resolution. I'm sure it will be a game changer for some folks though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Super wide without being fisheye also has a lot of use for video where the RF mount is kinda becoming one of the top standards. New Red cinema cans and others are using it now as well (partly because it can be adapted to Ef and PL so easily)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

RF mount is kinda becoming one of the top standards.

RF's worst feature is the cap on the camera side. You can't just slap it on and twist, no you gotta line the notch with the red mark. EF didn't care.

Worst lens mount ever! :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

RF's worst feature is the cap on the camera side. You can't just slap it on and twist, no you gotta line the notch with the red mark. EF didn't care.

Yeah I do hate that. Stopped even using them during gigs.

I also got a drat fingerprint on my sensor while switching lenses in the photo pit at a concert and I have no idea how. I always turn the cameras off before removing the lens, but i guess i didn't wait the 2-3 seconds it takes to close the guard over it. I also don't know how my finger got in there at all. Ugh.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

xzzy posted:

I haaate trying to put the caps on in the dark. Now I pretty much don't even bother.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

RIP EOS-M

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the M stands for Mega-fail

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Keeping that thread title relevant though.. it's been there forever.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I was fairly skeptical that a change of lens could affect the focusing performance of a camera so much, but I am very glad to be proved wrong.

I sold my Sigma and picked up the RF 100-400 and this is pretty incredible. With animal detection tracking AF, I've gone from hitting maybe half the time if I'm lucky, to over 90% hits. Almost the exact same birds in the exact same places too, so a pretty fair test. If you start to peek in a little, I think it's not quite as sharp at full zoom? But it's nailing the focus and at half the weight, I find it very difficult to complain for the price. Going from a near 2kg kit to 1.2ish for the R7 and RF feels fantastic. The control ring is a real nice bonus too, very good invention that.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what was the sigma?

I somewhat enjoy the heavy 135mm sigma .. makes me feel powerful

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

what was the sigma?

Did you invent the 135mm? You post about it constantly 😆

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it just brings me so much joy

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Been trying to offload a m6 mark ii for ages no one wants the bloody thing

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

echinopsis posted:

what was the sigma?

It was the 100-400mm C, so pretty much a straight swap length for length.

echinopsis posted:

I wouldn't mind a nice chucky Art lens for arty shots, that would be sick. I'm mainly having this hang around my neck while I cycle around looking for neat birds though, so it's nice to have less weight there.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Some interesting new lenses just announced:

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf-s10-18mm-f4-5-6-3-is-stm

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf200-800mm-f6-3-9-is-usm

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf24-105mm-f2-8-l-is-usm-z

Glad to see the 200-800 is weather resistant at least (and also comes with a lens hood lol). Even if it's just RF 100-400 image quality with double the reach I think I'm sold. 4.5 lbs is really pushing handholdability though

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 2, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

24-105 2.8 L being a power zoom is a game changer for a lot of videographers. Also a great single lens choice for a ton of photo situations.

The fact that you can have 24-300 range at 2.8 on just two lenses is wild stuff. Your back and wallet will hurt, but drat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now you can go from 10mm to 800mm with four lenses and zero overlap in focal length. Gonna be a heavy expensive bag but you'll be prepared for everything!

F9 at 800 is kinda bad though. That thing takes a 2x teleconverter too.

(I'll stick with 24 to 500 in two lenses)

xzzy fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 2, 2023

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The 200-800 looks pretty darn cool. I won't ever be able to afford it, but still cool. (Darn weak yen... :japan: )

(319,000yen ~feels like~ $3190)

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 2, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
A white Canon lens without the red ring looks weird.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
f/9 is only 1/3 of a stop slower than f/8. It's certainly an interesting lens

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oh, the 10-18 is not just f/4.5 but also RF-S :negative:

Make better lenses, Canon! I'm almost exclusively using Sigmas right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They announced a 10-20 f/4 less than a month ago.. they are making better lenses.

They're also filling out the lens lineup with options for different situations. And they're removing the third party AF restriction in the next few months. RF is in a good spot now and the floodgates are gonna open.