Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

goattrails posted:

(the aperture is slightly smaller however).
It's not, they just give a transmission figure instead of the maximum aperture size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm surprised no one posted this yet. It's pretty huge news.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10324/big-news-hands-on-with-continuous-raw-recording-on-canon-5d-mark-iii

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

So for the last 18 months I have been shooting exclusively with a 1000D and 50mm f/1.8. I LOVE the 50mm for the image quality and I actually really like the tight FoV for photos I make for myself in fact I more often find myself wishing for a little more reach. It IS a little tight for documenting social occasions for Facebook though, and the AF is horrendous. I've recently upgraded my body to a 550D and now have some cash to spend to buy some lenses. The 24-105L seems like my perfect focal length range but unfortunately it's a fair way out of my price range. Are there any decent 3rd party lenses in that focal length region? If not I'm probably just going to get a 40mm f/2.8 and a 85mm f/1.8 as they both look like pretty sweet lenses.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Waarg posted:

unfortunately it's a fair way out of my price range.

What is your price range?

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

tarepanda posted:

What is your price range?
£3-400

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

iSheep posted:

Replaced my focusing screen on my T2i today. Pretty easy however very stressful at the same time.

New screen still has dust on it. Lesson to be learned here: Don't worry about dust in your viewfinder you idiot.

At least my red focus light is visible again.

Did this on my T2i myself last year; felt like I was playing Operation. Changing the screen on my 6D was a breeze by comparison. No sweat (literally).

My T2i had that problem with dust too after changing screens. It was a huge bitch because I apparently kept getting dust on the pentamirror side of the screen during installation, even if it looked clean going in.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Waarg posted:

£3-400

You could probably find a used Canon 100 mm 2.8 (non-L) around that range if you want more reach. Image quality is amazing, too.

I forget if it was in the last thread or another thread, but there was a lot of love for, I think, the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm 2.8.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Anyone got $11,799 burning a hole in their pocket?

http://fstoppers.com/have-money-to-burn-canons-new-200-400-f4-l-usm-announced-for-11800

Finally.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

drat, I was wondering when the price for this would come out. I figure street price will be $9k or so.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aww man I'm gonna need a bigger jar to throw all my change in to buy that. :smith:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Waarg posted:

So for the last 18 months I have been shooting exclusively with a 1000D and 50mm f/1.8. I LOVE the 50mm for the image quality and I actually really like the tight FoV for photos I make for myself in fact I more often find myself wishing for a little more reach. It IS a little tight for documenting social occasions for Facebook though, and the AF is horrendous. I've recently upgraded my body to a 550D and now have some cash to spend to buy some lenses. The 24-105L seems like my perfect focal length range but unfortunately it's a fair way out of my price range. Are there any decent 3rd party lenses in that focal length region? If not I'm probably just going to get a 40mm f/2.8 and a 85mm f/1.8 as they both look like pretty sweet lenses.

The Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS? It's apparently decent and within your price range if you get it used.

If you can live without having the extra reach, the Tamron 17-50mm.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Being in Hong Kong is bad for my Mastercard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

InternetJunky posted:

At the risk of exposing myself to further ridicule for not knowing everything about my 1dx -- is there anything that anyone can think of that would cause the camera to severely underexpose each picture?

I know that you reset the camera to default settings, which should have fixed this, but two things that could cause underexposure and haven’t been mentioned are highlight priority mode and the focus screen setting. The former is under the second shooting menu. The latter is under the fourth custom function menu.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bolind posted:

Being in Hong Kong is bad for my Mastercard.

Ughgh sexy, post some pics, I'd be interested to see this on an APS-C

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Will do, but I'm without a proper laptop for the next week, and I'm also whatever the bachelor version of a momtographer is. Preliminary test shots, however, leaves me very pleased.

Additionally, I think it's a beautiful big fat middle finger to Canon that it comes with a super nice case, center-pinch cover and lens hood standard. Altogether ten bucks worth of plastic but so thoughtful.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
About this Magic Lantern stuff, is it an alternative firmware? Is it worthwhile to be installed? --edit: Awww, no 6D branch yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

About this Magic Lantern stuff, is it an alternative firmware? Is it worthwhile to be installed?

Yes and yes.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Waiting for a 5d II release with 24 fps raw video...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ughgh sexy, post some pics, I'd be interested to see this on an APS-C

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/fivre/8719138862/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Yeah, it's pretty sharp. No crop.

Not as much wider but still quite sharp.

Also dear god my laptop screen color is quite odd.

Magic Lantern has always looked cool (focus peaking! a faint possibility of recording live drums without clipping all to hell!) but I figured it'd be a massive UI pain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

fivre posted:

Magic Lantern has always looked cool (focus peaking! a faint possibility of recording live drums without clipping all to hell!) but I figured it'd be a massive UI pain.

All of its stuff is in its own menu—which is kind of crowded, but not too bad once you get used to it. It has the nifty feature that pressing the Info button will take you to the ML manual page for that function so you can learn what each option does.

The only problem I have with it is that it makes my camera take longer to wake from sleep mode. The delay isn’t horrible, mind you, but it’s definitely noticeable. I’d compare a 5D2 with Magic Lantern to a 20D, in terms of wake‐up speed. Earlier versions of ML didn’t have this issue, so I remain hopeful that it will be rectified in the future.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
Is it worth installing even if I literally never touch the video option on my camera? 650D if that matters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Headhunter posted:

Is it worth installing even if I literally never touch the video option on my camera? 650D if that matters.

I rarely touch the video option on my camera, and I still use it for >30 s exposures, exposure/focus bracketing, an intervalometer features. I find a few of its UI tweaks handy as well.

It runs off the card, so if you don’t use those features often, you can put it on only one card if you wish. I should really do that with mine to avoid the wake‐up delay when I don’t need those features.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
Cool, will give it a bash at the weekend.

evilmonkeh
Apr 18, 2004
meh

Platystemon posted:

Yes and yes.

It's not strictly an alternative firmware as it co-exists with the original firmware. The only modification it makes to the camera is to change a setting (the 'bootflag') that causes the camera to execute code stored in a file on the memory card (autoexec.bin). The ML software then hooks into the camera's boot process and launches its own code. It's still early days for these recent RAW hacks, so they're pretty rough around the edges and support for most cameras is limited (but it should work even with 50D). If you're into timelapse then the option to shoot a raw timelapse without shutter actuations is awesome.

Combat Pretzel posted:

About this Magic Lantern stuff, is it an alternative firmware? Is it worthwhile to be installed? --edit: Awww, no 6D branch yet.

The 6D port is making good progress, but there's no official build yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

evilmonkeh posted:

It's not strictly an alternative firmware as it co-exists with the original firmware. The only modification it makes to the camera is to change a setting (the 'bootflag') that causes the camera to execute code stored in a file on the memory card (autoexec.bin). The ML software then hooks into the camera's boot process and launches its own code.

I know that, but the distinction is esoteric. It only really matters to the developers, and, I suppose, to people who know enough about firmware to worry about “bricking”, which in ML’s case is mostly unfounded.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
As a hybrid video/photo guy I also appreciate the addition of the waveform monitor. I realize that photography and film have totally different evolutions but it's a little head-scratchy to me how different the color correction tools are between the two much of the time. WFM is still totally useful for stills.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Would swapping my 70-200 f4 for a 80-200 f2.8 (both Canon) be a bad idea? I hardly ever use the f4 but I'm very happy with it. Thought it might be fun to have a telephoto at f2.8.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Depends on what you're doing with it. The 80/2.8 won't focus as fast as the 70/4, and it is (reportedly) noticeably soft when wide open. And it lacks full time MF. I wouldn't go for it unless you really need the extra stops for work purposes.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Platystemon posted:

I know that you reset the camera to default settings, which should have fixed this, but two things that could cause underexposure and haven’t been mentioned are highlight priority mode and the focus screen setting. The former is under the second shooting menu. The latter is under the fourth custom function menu.
I went out shooting two days ago and the problem was gone. :iiam:

I think I'm going to send it in for a checkup anyway.

I know people are going to throw money at this like it's the second coming of Christ, but this has to be the worst value for your money out of the entire Canon lens lineup.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

InternetJunky posted:

I went out shooting two days ago and the problem was gone. :iiam:

I think I'm going to send it in for a checkup anyway.

I know people are going to throw money at this like it's the second coming of Christ, but this has to be the worst value for your money out of the entire Canon lens lineup.

I think it'll sell like crazy among the pro sports/nature crowd. This isn't something for the hobbyist or even the dentist enthusiast, but for someone who is hired to shoot high-profile games and waits out in a blind for days hoping to catch 30 seconds of some rare triple-horned duck or whatever. Being able to hit the Turbo Boost button and swing in a teleconverter in seconds without having to detach lenses has got to be a godsend for sports photographers. As for value, it saves them from having to carry a second body and/or lens.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

bisticles posted:

or even the dentist enthusiast

Ok, now I'm picturing a guy hiding behind a blind catching sweet shots of a root canal procedure.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Erwin posted:

Ok, now I'm picturing a guy hiding behind a blind catching sweet shots of a root canal procedure.

Waiting for the 1/10000 patient that the hygienist says "You know what? I think you floss enough."

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -