Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

bisticles posted:

Did you read that article?
Yes. It doesn't change the fact it's horrible value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

Combat Pretzel posted:

About this Magic Lantern stuff, is it an alternative firmware? Is it worthwhile to be installed? --edit: Awww, no 6D branch yet.

I have it on my 7D, and in my case it's just a layer of software I run on top by pressing a few buttons. It's just files on the CF-card. It's really good for using my MP-E 65mm macro lens because of the focus assists.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

bisticles posted:

Did you read that article?

He can take nice pictures but he's a crazy bad writer.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

InternetJunky posted:

If I could get one for zero dollars I'd say it's worth it too!

Keep in mind I'm not saying it's an amazing lens or that it doesn't serve any purpose. I'm just saying for that price it is horrible value for your money.

Your argument doesn't make any sense. It's 100% relative. If you shoot nothing but wide-angle images, then no kidding, it's horrible value. If you're a nature photographer for whom this lens fills exactly the range you needed and perhaps replaces several primes and allows you to get shots you couldn't before, then the value is probably tremendous. For me? It's a terrible value, but to say it's not exactly what was needed (and asked for) by a large group of photographers is completely asinine.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

TsarAleksi posted:

to say it's not exactly what was needed (and asked for) by a large group of photographers is completely asinine.
Good thing I'm not saying that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Canon lenses would be good values if there wasn't almost always an option from a different manufacture with equal or better performance for a fraction of the cost.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Mr. Despair posted:

Canon lenses would be good values if there wasn't almost always an option from a different manufacture with equal or better performance for a fraction of the cost.
Is there a list of the "better than Canon" lens options? It feels like a list that somebody would make.

Paragon8 posted:

He can take nice pictures but he's a crazy bad writer.
The article is like 90% stupid bullshit and 10% explaining why the lens allows him to get better shots, it's amazing.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

fivre posted:

The Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS? It's apparently decent and within your price range if you get it used.

I'd recommend this lens to anyone. Very good IQ.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

casa de mi padre posted:

Is there a list of the "better than Canon" lens options? It feels like a list that somebody would make.

I'd love to see a list along this line.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

So how does this work with a 10/12 bit display? Does the "Deep Color" option work?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

casa de mi padre posted:

The list doesn't exist because there aren't any :smug:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Fart Car '97 posted:

List_of_Zeiss_lenses.xhtml

Fred Miranda Jr
Jul 10, 2012

I spend endless hours in front of the computer perfecting techniques for the digital format.

Reichstag posted:

List_of_Zeiss_lenses.xhtml

I'd like to point out that the Zeiss ZE lenses are all manual focus. For the 99.9% of us for whom autofocus is a requirement, the Canon L lenses are the crème de la crème.

InternetJunky posted:

Yes. It doesn't change the fact it's horrible value.

You're clearly not the target market.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Fart Car '97 posted:

But K-rock said...

Of course, he also thinks the 35L is better than the Sigma because it's made of metal. Much like the Sigma.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Damit Canon, stop making hte most useful glass more expensive. At this rate I'll probably never sell my 24-70 f/2.8L and 70-200 f/4.0. Okay maybe the 70-200 to upgrade to the f/4.0 IS. But still.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So how does this work with a 10/12 bit display? Does the "Deep Color" option work?

The point to having 14 bit raw is that you'll have a lot more latitude to grade your image - your output is probably going to end up as a lossy 8-bit h264 web video anyways but you'll have finer control over white balance, color, and exposure.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Fred Miranda Jr posted:

I'd like to point out that the Zeiss ZE lenses are all manual focus. For the 99.9% of us for whom autofocus is a requirement, the Canon L lenses are the crème de la crème.

I don't think Reichstag was limiting the selection to ZE lenses.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Every lens is a compromise. "Better" is different for everyone. A good example is the new Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC. Nearly equals the new Canon 24-70L II optically, yet adds VC and a cheaper build for half the price. For some, this lens is better than the Canon.

The Sigma 35F1.4~ART~ is the poster child for "better than Canon" lenses; It's worth noting that if you're into manual focus, the Samyang 35mm f1.4 is also as good if not better than the Canon 35L optically. However both have cheaper builds and I hear the Sigma's AF is slower?

Anyways, horses for courses etc etc

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Could everyone just take a second to note that the instigator of Canon lenses not being good is the OP of the Nikon thread.

#justsayin

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Paragon8 posted:

Could everyone just take a second to note that the instigator of Canon lenses not being good is the OP of the Nikon thread.

#justsayin

Don't worry, I don't shoot nikon anymore either.

e. I just remembered I have a d7000 for work but I hate it.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 16, 2013

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

My take on the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A1 on my 7D. Take all my opinions with a bit of a grain of salt, though, because I'm not that experienced with lenses, especially primes.

- Excellent build quality for the price. The lens feels solid, snaps on my camera snugger than my Canon or Tokina lenses, the focus ring is smooth and well damped. Even the lens hood has a rubber-finish grip around it. (though it is just normal plastic on the inside of the hood, not felt)
- This is useless for a review, but the lens simply LOOKS good. Sigma paid attention to the actual visual design of the lens, right down to the markings that line up the lens hood to the lens, and the materials complement each other and look right at home on my 7D.
- Great picture quality at f/1.8 through f/8. Sharp in the centre, pretty good in the corners. Won't win awards for it, but it's quite good. This is probably the lens' biggest downfall if you already have a fast prime; pixel peeping it seems like my Canon 17-55 f/2.8 can compete on sharpness, which just feels wrong for a prime lens.
- Lack of barrel distortion. (as any prime should have)
- Autofocus is quiet but quite slow compared to Canon's. I may have microAF adjustments to do with mine as I was shooting tonight at a party with it open around f/1.8 and a lot of people came in soft looking, even if they weren't moving. I wasn't having those issues in the similar situations the night before at f/1.4, strangely.
- Depth of field effects are great, backgrounds are very well blurred out and bright spots come in as tidy circles. 9-blade rounded apertures, yay!
- At f/1.4 you get the usual wide-open-aperture issues:
--- Vignetting (though I find it manageable for this)
--- Very prone to flares
--- Almost disturbing amounts of purple fringing if bright spots are anywhere near in-focus (disappears at f/1.8)

Overall, I'd recommend this to... me. Because I was looking for a fast prime (for background blurring mostly) that was about equivalent to 50mm on a full frame. It came down to the full-frame Sigma 35mm f/1.4, the Canon EF 28mm f/2, or the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC. I'm not going to be upgrading to full frame, I'm on a budget, the sharpness doesn't matter to me too much (my photos only wind up on the web really, it's a hobby not a profession), and the weight and size savings mattered to me quite a lot. The crop-sensor 30mm hit the middle of the road sweet spot for me.

If up-front money, weight, or size are less of an issue to people though, I'd imagine it's difficult to consider this lens over the 35mm full-frame Sigma.

If people want more photos in addition to what was posted in this thread earlier, I'll have to post those later.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 16, 2013

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

1st AD posted:

The point to having 14 bit raw is that you'll have a lot more latitude to grade your image - your output is probably going to end up as a lossy 8-bit h264 web video anyways but you'll have finer control over white balance, color, and exposure.

drat. I just want to see some deep color content. It gives the video depth. Would have been nice to test it out.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just lucked out and picked up a Canon 50mm 1.4 for what I hope will end up costing me -$5 - $50, after I sell off everything else it came with.

I'm super excited because when I had a crop body the Sigma 30mm 1.4 was one of my favorite lenses. So far the Canon doesn't impress me that much - it's soft until f2 and noisy, but I think it will do the job, especially for the price.

With that said, I'm "eagerly" awaiting the hypothesized new Canon 50mm 1.4 IS with an MSRP of $649.99. :rolleyes:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there any reason why Canon cameras don't just do AF confirmation on mechanical lenses via the firmware? I was wondering, because I've ordered a Samyang and it's apparently possible to get confirmation by essentially glueing a third party chip to the mount. So I'm wondering why this isn't supported by firmware and needs a nonsense hack.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Are there any options on a Canon that will influence the JPEG output to make them unreadable on certain devices?

I have been using a 60D for over a year now, but since a few weeks my Lacinema Classic mediaplayer suddenly won't play the images anymore. They work fine on my phone, computer, tablet, etc. It says the filetype is unknown, but they are the exact same straight-from-camera JPEG files that I used before. After I take those forwhite balancing and cropping or whatever editing I do it still won't play them, so it seems something in the file itself makes it unreadable.

I can't think of anything I changed since it started, neither device had a firmware update and Google isn't helping.

Edit: Apparantly it DOES show images straight from the camera, but after editing in Gimp it suddenly cannot display them anymore. Guess it is a Gimp issue, not Canon.

Edit 2: Figured it was the Exif data since clearing that (which included info on how Gimp was the origin) made the first file work, but other 160+ are still not showing. No idea what is causing this issue.

BioTech fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 17, 2013

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there any reason why Canon cameras don't just do AF confirmation on mechanical lenses via the firmware? I was wondering, because I've ordered a Samyang and it's apparently possible to get confirmation by essentially glueing a third party chip to the mount. So I'm wondering why this isn't supported by firmware and needs a nonsense hack.

because Canon want you to buy Canon lenses not Samyang lenses.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

LiquidRain posted:

- Autofocus is quiet but quite slow compared to Canon's. I may have microAF adjustments to do with mine as I was shooting tonight at a party with it open around f/1.8 and a lot of people came in soft looking, even if they weren't moving. I wasn't having those issues in the similar situations the night before at f/1.4, strangely.
I also own this lens and a 7D and I agree with you completely about the AF. The bummer is, though, that the effect of back- or front-focusing is unpredictable enough that setting microAF adjustments was kind of useless.

At least on my copy. Don't get me wrong -- I still get a lot of tight, in focus photos. But I'd get more if the AF was more perfect.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012

LiquidRain posted:

My take on the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A1 on my 7D.

I'm interested in comparing this lens to the Canon 28mm f/1.8 USM.

I'm shooting on a 60D, and have a 50/1.8 and 85 /1.8, as well my 18-55 Rebel kit lens.I'd like to improve quality in the wider spectrum and I'm thinking of the 28, but have been starting
also looking at some of the zooms in that area (the EF-S 10-22, 17-55, and the Tamron 17-50).

Just looked at the Canon refurb site, and the 10-22 is available, and on 15% off sale. Obviously, the gods want me to get that one.

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

Ok, I've narrowed it down to either 24-105 or 100 2.8 macro and 40 2.8. To go with my 550d and 50 1.8. Anyone have a strong opinion either way??

edit: Forgot to mention, I'd be buying all of these second hand which makes them fairly equivalent price-wise.

Waarg fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 17, 2013

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'd personally go for the 24-105 just based on the fact that even 40mm is pretty tight on a 550d. You might have an easier, more enjoyable time with a single zoom lens than with a bunch of primes. The 24-105 L is a pretty drat nice lens.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

drat. I just want to see some deep color content. It gives the video depth. Would have been nice to test it out.

I'm not sure what you mean by "deep color."

I doubt the image looks any better or has more depth if I have a 14-bit display.

Here's a raw DNG frame from straight off the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (converted to TIFF in Photoshop):

Blackmagic Cinema Camera_1_2013-03-06_1629_C0000_000106 by chazaraz, on Flickr

edit: welp it looks like there's no way to get the raw onto flickr without squashing it down to 8-bits.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 18, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Waarg posted:

Ok, I've narrowed it down to either 24-105 or 100 2.8 macro and 40 2.8. To go with my 550d and 50 1.8. Anyone have a strong opinion either way??

edit: Forgot to mention, I'd be buying all of these second hand which makes them fairly equivalent price-wise.

The 40 mm pancake and 50 f/1.8 are kind of redundant. I have the 50 f/1.4 and the pancake, and often I basically toss a coin when choosing which one to bring. This is on full‐frame, though. On 1.6× I’d use the 50 mm as a portrait lens, and I’d want something wider for a walkaround.

I have the 24–105 and it’s fine, but I wouldn’t buy it again in a world in which the Tamron 24–70 VC exists. Unfortunately, Tamron’s lens is far too new to find used.

You should pick up a 100 mm macro either way eventually because it’s fantastic.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Platystemon posted:

You should pick up a 100 mm macro either way eventually because it’s fantastic.

I agree with this and I haven't even taken a single macro photo yet. It's sharp and focuses fast.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
Does anybody recall how often the Canon refurb bodies go on sale and what kind of discount is typical during the sale? I'm thinking about a 7d.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CrushedWill posted:

Does anybody recall how often the Canon refurb bodies go on sale and what kind of discount is typical during the sale? I'm thinking about a 7d.
They've been on sale for over a week:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_260463_-1?WT.mc_id=C126149

In stock, 15% off normal refurb price, $1019.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 19, 2013

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_260463_-1?WT.mc_id=C126149

In stock, 15% of normal refurb price, $1019.

Thanks, I'm on a mobile and canons site looks like rear end.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

In stock, 15% off normal refurb price, $1019.

noooo I just saw they have the 40mm f/2.8 for 80 bucks and it's sold out!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just saw a Canon 85 1.8 on slickdeals for $319 shipped. Pretty good deal for a great lens.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

The OP has nothing about the TS-E lenses. I might make some words and sentences about it if I have time.

Also, I'm thinking of selling my 17-40/4L and getting that Sigma 35/1.4. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Do you have something else filling the UWA role or just don't need one?

I'm contemplating selling my 17-40/4L as well since I find myself shooting around 24mm anyway, and I could just as well use my 24-70 for that and probably get better results.

edit: Or a 24mm TS-E II :getin:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 20, 2013