Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do you have something else filling the UWA role or just don't need one?

I'm contemplating selling my 17-40/4L as well since I find myself shooting around 24mm anyway, and I could just as well use my 24-70 for that and probably get better results.

edit: Or a 24mm TS-E II :getin:

I heard the 24-70 is crappy at the wide end, so get that TS-E 24II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Dumb question do the TS-E lenses have auto-aperture? A lot of T/S lenses don't, which might reduce its usability for non-technical photography.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Dumb question do the TS-E lenses have auto-aperture? A lot of T/S lenses don't, which might reduce its usability for non-technical photography.

Yeah they function just like any other EF lens, with the exception being that it's always in manual-focus mode. That said, you really wouldn't want to carry around such a slow, large, heavy and delicate lens for anything other than technical photography.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The canons do.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

The OP has nothing about the TS-E lenses. I might make some words and sentences about it if I have time.

Also, I'm thinking of selling my 17-40/4L and getting that Sigma 35/1.4. Thoughts?

Speaking of the Sigma 35, anyone here have it? How is it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Instrumedley posted:

I'm not aware of anyone around here picking one up yet, but the online reviews of it are spectacular.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

woot fatigue posted:

The OP has nothing about the TS-E lenses. I might make some words and sentences about it if I have time.

"the TS-E 24II is the perfect starter lens for anyone getting into DSLR photography, and is a perfect walk-about lens for any novice."

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I picked up used 100mm macro (not L) from local Canon dealer and its focus ring is just a bit loose. Turning the focus ring is nice and smooth, just a little play when you start to turn it the other way. Everything else seems to be fine. Should I be worried?

It was checked by Canon tech and is supposed to be fine but maybe they just want to get rid of it :tinfoil:.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Mine has like 0.5mm play at most, if you mean something perceptible but tiny like that it's probably normal.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Instrumedley posted:

A friend of mine tested it and he said it was so sharp he would prefer the Sigma instead of the 35L.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
I have the Sigma 35 1.4. I posted about it in the Street Photography thread. It's phenomenally sharp, I haven't actually taken it off my camera since I bought it. It is built like a tank, weighs a ton, and is huge for a 35 prime, but it's got incredible detail and also it has an interesting tonal range that I personally like, it's kinda muted. It's not vibrant if that's your thing, but it has an interesting way of rendering color that compliments the types of shots I like.

I much prefer it to the 35L other than the size.

Here are a few shots with it, they are processed so not straight off the camera, but you get the idea.

Collapse Inward by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Noreaster by SirWyeth, on Flickr

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Alpenglow posted:

Mine has like 0.5mm play at most, if you mean something perceptible but tiny like that it's probably normal.
Yeah, I should probably spend less time worrying and more time taking photos :)

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

1st AD posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "deep color."

I doubt the image looks any better or has more depth if I have a 14-bit display.

Here's a raw DNG frame from straight off the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (converted to TIFF in Photoshop):

Blackmagic Cinema Camera_1_2013-03-06_1629_C0000_000106 by chazaraz, on Flickr

edit: welp it looks like there's no way to get the raw onto flickr without squashing it down to 8-bits.
That's Sony's word for their 12 bit and up displays.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Instrumedley posted:

I have one, posted a pic on the previous page I think. Use it on my 7D.

I've only played around with it for a week, but:

Comes with everything (hood, center-pinch cap, carrying case.)
Feels ridiculously solid.
Looks/feels fantastic.
AF is quick in my view, maybe L connoisseurs will disagree, but I don't complain.
Min. focusing distance is 30cm which is a godsend coming from 100cm on the Canon 1.4 50mm.
I agree with Wyeth, it isn't fantastically vibrant in its color reproduction, but it's very sharp and has a very pleasant feel to it.

I actually bought it in Hong Kong with the intention of selling it here, at a slight profit, but now I'm not so sure. I think I'll put it up at a high price and see if there's any takers, and play with it in the mean time. If it stays, the 50mm 1.4 goes, that's for sure.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

bolind posted:

AF is quick in my view, maybe L connoisseurs will disagree, but I don't complain.

It's very quick, my biggest purchase criteria was low light focus due to how awful the 50mm canon variants are in those conditions, and it performs admirably.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
God drat it, I just had a paralyzing moment. I was within 10 minutes of buying a refurb 7d and now I am thinking of a refurb 5dmk2.

I'd like to do portrait work, some macro work, and maybe even some landscape stuff, and everything I've read says that full frame is the way to go.

I don't have the cash for the 5dmk3 now, am I going to be kicking myself in the rear end for getting the mk2? Am I correct that the pq is not *significantly* better on the mk3?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Do you plan on doing any video? If yes, the mk3 is a pretty clear winner.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Chitin posted:

Do you plan on doing any video? If yes, the mk3 is a pretty clear winner.

Honestly, video isn't a consideration. This would be used exclusively for stills.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Save a bit more and get a 6D when they hit the refurb store this summer. :getin:

You get a much less bulky body than the 5D line, 5DIII-like image and video quality, the newer iFCL metering, replaceable focusing screen for manually focusing lenses faster than f/2.5, Wi-Fi is neat for studio work, and it's not EOL like the 5DII.

You might miss the AF point selection joystick if you're used a body that has one, but otherwise you probably won't notice it missing.

edit: But really you'll probably be fine with a 7D.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 22, 2013

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

CrushedWill posted:

I'd like to do portrait work, some macro work, and maybe even some landscape stuff, and everything I've read says that full frame is the way to go.

"Full frame" is for noobs. Get a digital medium format Phase One camera, the real full frame. :smug:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

"Full frame" is for noobs. Get a digital medium format Phase One camera, the real full frame. :smug:
My only goal in photography is to trick people into giving me enough money that I can buy one of these and make prints taller than I am.

Photography the noblest of arts.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

casa de mi padre posted:

My only goal in photography is to trick people into giving me enough money that I can buy one of these and make prints taller than I am.

Photography the noblest of arts.

Just follow Ol' Krockwell's guide to how to afford anything (including a Phase One camera)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-afford-anything.htm

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

You might miss the AF point selection joystick if you're used a body that has one, but otherwise you probably won't notice it missing.

Who needs a joystick when only one AF point works, right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fivre posted:

Who needs a joystick when only one AF point works, right?
Fair point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
You need a joystick so you can zoom in and scroll around your test chart images, obviously.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
The obvious answer is a Canon PowerGlove.

Dr. Shockwave
Dec 12, 2012

Going to Europe for 3 weeks. Going to rent a 24-105mm Canon L series for 200 bucks for a month. Any reason not to do that and just buy the thing refurbished from BH or somebody for 899?

I obviously have a t3i. I can pretty much rent whatever, or I could just stick with my kit 18-55 and my 55-250mm efs zoom and just relax about my lenses.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Dr. Shockwave posted:

Going to Europe for 3 weeks. Going to rent a 24-105mm Canon L series for 200 bucks for a month. Any reason not to do that and just buy the thing refurbished from BH or somebody for 899?

I obviously have a t3i. I can pretty much rent whatever, or I could just stick with my kit 18-55 and my 55-250mm efs zoom and just relax about my lenses.

If you plan to use it at least three and a half more times?

Personally, though, I think 24–105 is a crummy range on a 1.6× camera. I’d rent a 10–22.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Dr. Shockwave posted:

Buy it used on CL and sell it after your trip.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Buy it used on CL and sell it after your trip. hang onto it forever because you decided you can't live without it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Fair CL price for the 24-105L is $750. I see them in Houston at that price point several times a week.

When you get back, list it for $700 and it will sell within hours if you're in a major city. Saves you $150 over renting.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Personally, though, I think 24–105 is a crummy range on a 1.6× camera. I’d rent a 10–22.

Yup, this. 18 is the bare minimum I would consider for max wideness in Europe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HookShot posted:

Yup, this. 18 is the bare minimum I would consider for max wideness in Europe.

DigitalRev recently did a nice illustration of choosing poorly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfFwCA5tCFY&t=450s

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rent a 17-55 or buy a Tamron 17-50 instead.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Or buy and keep the Sigma 17-50 OS, which is the best of the 2.8 IS zooms for crop bodies.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Save a bit more and get a 6D when they hit the refurb store this summer. :getin:

You get a much less bulky body than the 5D line, 5DIII-like image and video quality, the newer iFCL metering, replaceable focusing screen for manually focusing lenses faster than f/2.5, Wi-Fi is neat for studio work, and it's not EOL like the 5DII.

edit: But really you'll probably be fine with a 7D.

The CL price for the 6D is as low as $1300, so I'm hoping that the refurb price at the Canon store will be in the $1500 range when on sale and available.

Given the reviews I have seen, the 6D looks perfect. The only reservations I have are based on it's ergo, I have long fingers and smaller camera's are fatiguing. I'll go fondle one at the local camera shop before proceeding.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

bobfather posted:

Or buy and keep the Sigma 17-50 OS, which is the best of the 2.8 IS zooms for crop bodies.

How does the Canon 17-55 compare to it? I've been talking myself into an upgrade from the Tamron 17-50 and haven't considered the sigma.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Haggins posted:

How does the Canon 17-55 compare to it? I've been talking myself into an upgrade from the Tamron 17-50 and haven't considered the sigma.

It has an extra 5mm of range, otherwise the Sigma matches or exceeds it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

bobfather posted:

It has an extra 5mm of range, otherwise the Sigma matches or exceeds it.
What about autofocus speed? That's always a big thing for me and is the reason I went with the Canon 17-55 IS USM. Considering my 30mm Sigma DC HSM A1's focus speed, I'd be concerned. My 30mm Sigma is sluggish, my Canon 17-55 is lightning fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Dr. Shockwave posted:

Don't make the mistake I always do by bringing a huge-rear end lens that makes my camera such a pain to carry that I never end up taking it with me. 24mm isn't going to be wide enough for the narrow city streets, 17mm would be a good minimum. I think your best bet would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM for the extra stop and zoom range. Pack your 55-250 as well and you can always leave one at the hotel depending on where you're going that day.

Alternatively, get the TS-E 24/3.5LII. It's the perfect travel lens for anyone going to Europe, and is a perfect walk-about lens for any city.