Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

bisticles posted:

Did you read that article?

He can take nice pictures but he's a crazy bad writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Could everyone just take a second to note that the instigator of Canon lenses not being good is the OP of the Nikon thread.

#justsayin

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there any reason why Canon cameras don't just do AF confirmation on mechanical lenses via the firmware? I was wondering, because I've ordered a Samyang and it's apparently possible to get confirmation by essentially glueing a third party chip to the mount. So I'm wondering why this isn't supported by firmware and needs a nonsense hack.

because Canon want you to buy Canon lenses not Samyang lenses.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I import everything with Capture One.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

1st AD posted:

This is not true :getin:

gotta get sick lenscap fades in your raw denim

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A good friend has no clue about the technical side of photography if I try to talk with her about it, but she takes some pretty great shots; especially her infrared stuff:

One of these days I need to take that IR-converted body for a spin.

It's a lot harder to teach creativity than technical stuff. I'd rather look at some teenager on flickr's work shooting on Auto with a Rebel than a 60 year old camera enthusiast with the sharpest lenses.

The frustrating thing comes when their creative work gets them to a postion where they can enhance their work with improving their technique but they don't because why change what got them there in the first place?

I had a full shouting fight with a photographer I assisted about shooting RAW.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Details please.

Oh, they mostly shot JPG and never really put out work bigger than 2000px x 2000 px but they were super good and awesome and I was handling like admin and such for them as well as assisting on shoots. They had interest from a licensing company for book covers but the company freaked out when the highest res images we had were like 2000px at 72dpi (the photographer's archive was flickr)

The fight was basically me being like "you should start shooting raw" and them being like "why should I, jpg has gotten me this far" and basically escalating from there.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Oh yeah, RAW isn't for everyone but when you start shooting for bigger clients and such and you're not managing the post workflow shooting in RAW is a bit of a courtesy to whoever is handling your files.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I am thankful for dizzlers with expensive gear as that drives down the price for us scrubs. I did the shadiest looking deal with some kind of rich dentist in the back of a mercedes in a dingy parking lot but ended up with a barely used L for a fraction of new.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The difference is especially clear uploading the files to a computer.

That said I think CF cards are going to get more and more expensive as bodies start using SD cards a lot more. I doubled my memory card storage in SD cards for the cost of one CF card.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Yeah, you're almost certainly lagging behind the sync speed. Granted, the 5d3's sync speed is higher than 1/200, but that's for on camera flash and off camera flashes that can compensate. If you're using generic radio trigger sor something you're probably introducing just enough of a delay to miss sync.

I know with my om-d, cowboy studio triggers, and yongnuo 560ii I can only get to 1/200, if I shoot at the rated sync speed I get the bar.

Sadly the mk3's max is 1/200 and usually ends up being real world of 1/160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

You can on the 5D3 fwiw.

I feel like my files from the mkII were IMG_ though.