Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The flange distance on RF is smaller than it is in EF (so the sensor is physically closer to the lens mount & rear lens element). This allows them to do different things with lens designs than they could with EF lenses. The EF<->RF adapters work fine, and IMO you won't notice a difference at all from using the EF lenses on the EF bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you're fine with using adapted EF glass, the sigma 50mm 1.4 art is great and is sharp, even on an R5

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
When I was looking at getting an 85 a few months back I think it seemed like in that price range you would be better off just getting the RF 85 f2 macro.

But I ended up not buying either one in the hopes that either we eventually get sigma lenses or that I would find a decent deal on a used EF 85 f1.4 L

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

joat mon posted:

Displayed aperture range for the lens without the extender is 2.8 - 22, and with the extender, 5.6-45, fwiw.

Yeah this just sounds like a bug with the extender + tamron lens. When I use the adapter + 1.4x TC + canon EF 70-200 f2.8 L it shows as f4 wide open on both my R and R5 (and with the 2x TC it shows as f5.6 as you would expect)

If they do make an RF 70-200 that takes TC's it'd probably get me to finally sell my EF version, but honestly what I really want for RF mount is a small 300 f4 prime so I could just go with the existing small RF 70-200 plus that instead of bothering with TC's. Basically something like the 300 f4 PF that nikon had for their dslr mount (where there was never a canon EF equivalent)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

i am kiss u now posted:

(including several “red-rings.”)

If you already have some full frame lenses, you may also want to consider jumping to one of the entry-level full frame bodies. The RP would fall into your price range and a used R8 is probably slightly outside of it. The full-frame RF bodies will work with both adapted full frame EF and crop EF-S glass, with the caveat that when you use EF-S lenses the camera will automatically use the appropriate crop mode which will leave you with ~10-12MP to work with depending on the body