Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
As a hybrid video/photo guy I also appreciate the addition of the waveform monitor. I realize that photography and film have totally different evolutions but it's a little head-scratchy to me how different the color correction tools are between the two much of the time. WFM is still totally useful for stills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Do you plan on doing any video? If yes, the mk3 is a pretty clear winner.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

I chose Canon because I inherited a bunch of old Nikon manual glass from my dad, of the type that scratches the prism if you try to mount it on a Nikon DSLR. Mounts fine on my Canon with a $20 adaptor. Meters and everything. Irony!

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

I center-pinched your mom last night. All of your moms. Every last one.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

No.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Boneitis posted:

I've been wondering about something like this. Does stopping down the aperture improve the image quality over lovely optics and lenses? Like, will a top of the line Canon lens that is shooting at 2.8 always be better than a knock-off lens that costs a tenth as much shooting at 22?

Well, it's not quite that simple. Generally lenses will be at their sharpest around f8 or so, but sharpness varies across the image plane, so a lens that is tack sharp in the center even at 1.8 can be softer around the corners. There are also factors like chromatic aberration, lens flare and bokeh quality. So while a cheap lens may be just as sharp in the center at f8 as an expensive lens is at f2, that's not really a fair comparison.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

That's what I have. Great kit for a beginner/broke person.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

It will be interesting to see how the sensor performs. Apparently it's a 40mp sensor with almost every pixel masked one way or the other for their new phase-detect AF system. I find it a little bit odd that their APSC technology strategy seems to revolve so strongly around video.

Not at all, it's one of the major ways they can differentiate themselves from Nikon. Since the 5DmkII video revolution there are a lot of shooters locked into the Canon system, it makes total sense to keep them happy.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

spog posted:

I've been trying to work a joke along the lines that you should give her an engagement ring with a ruby on it, as a fiance with a red ring is the best fiance available. However hard I try, though, it just sounds like I am advocating premarital anal sex.

Why can't you do both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

William T. Hornaday posted:

I didn't even know that Canon made AA batteries.

They last half as long as Duracells and cost $300.