Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Indeed it sounds strange but the 70D has the best crop (1.6) sensor in any Canon body as of right now. Not surprised at all they'd use it to get even more reach out of the super-tele lenses at such an event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
If you're shooting outdoors 80%+ of the time in ok/good light the 70-300 is outstanding. If you look hard enough you can get the 70-200 f4 IS and a 1.4 TC for the same money but the quality at 280mm and f5.6 isn't as good as the 70-300 at 300. Just get the 70-300.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
star trek abstinence parakeet you're not telling the whole story:

Canon price increases

•EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM went from $1149 to $1349
•EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM went from $1399 to $1599
•EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM went from $1899 to $2199
•EF 17-40mm f/4L USM went from $739 to $839
•EF 50mm f/1.2L USM went from $1439 to $1619

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yay Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART rumored for photokina!

Also a 135mm 1.8....with OS :psyboom:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

dakana posted:

please be full frame please be full frame

Yup, they're saying DG out on the rumor mill.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
And the viewfinder. Sure its only a little bit but there's something to be said for 100% coverage.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Canon might have to pay people to take the old M when the new one comes out. Sale prices are pretty darn low as it is. Almost makes the S and G series seem pointless depending on lens prices.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Spime Wrangler posted:

Is it weird that I want to buy a $550 5D for my $150 40mm pancake?

Just do it. Be prepared for dramatic vignetting on the 5D though.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
6D has the lowest long exposure noise:

http://petapixel.com/2012/12/13/canon-6d-and-5dmk3-noise-comparison-for-high-iso-long-exposures/

You don't need a 5D3 to do clean long exposure and in fact would be going slightly backwards in that particular metric if you got one.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The subject was astrophotography in which case I assume they're manually focusing anyways so that godly awesome 61 pts of pure AF ownage isn't going to help.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The 60D is cheap enough that people even thinking about rebels should really take a close look at the used market. Good for buyers but my resale value :negative:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
IMO, its the ONLY body to recommend as a first DSLR now that the prices are low enough. You don't have to be experienced to appreciate the better viewfinder, ergos and learning about ISO, aperture and shutter speed is much smoother when you have the top lcd screen to give you that instant feedback and settings control.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any are certain Canon lenses white, anyway?

Ostensibly to not absorb heat that could impair the operation of the lens. These things are used all day in the middle of the Serengeti after all and my all black lenses DO actually get very hot to the touch after a few hours in intense sunlight, especially the hoods although the heat doesn't affect them .

In practice, they're getting "free" marketing when these things show up at sporting events, news broadcasts, etc.

BEATEN.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Canon had a recall to fix prematurely failing mirrors on the 5D. A "fixed" 5D will have reinforced mirror mountings. Just google "5D mirror recall".

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Mest0r posted:

Thanks for all the advice on the 5D! None of the pitfalls of the camera really bother me, the only thing that's kind of a nuisance is the fact that it uses CF cards. I'll probably try to hunt one out in a month or so.

12.8 megapickles even in RAW aren't that gigantic nor does it shoot that fast anyways. You'll be fine with 4-8gb cards, no need to go hog wild on super high end CF cards.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'm more interested in the EOS M for all the cheap FD stuff you can adapt on there. It can focus to infinity unlike EOS-FD right?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Sell it to meeeee. I offer $2300 RIGHT NOW :w00t:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-6...=item43b8819da0

oh my gentle jesus

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I don't think many people even realize that lens exists. Yeah sure its as close to "normal" as you can get in a native EF mount lens but that just means its too tight for landscapes but not tight enough for portraits. Its the solution to a problem that hasn't been created...

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
But the same sensor? Darn. I was hoping for an improvement so that Canon would give away first gen M's for free.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Oh absolutely usable - Just waiting for when I can get a complete EOS-M kit with the 2 zooms, the prime and flash for the same price as a used S110...and then I'll give it to my mom or something.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
50mm 1.4 is nice for the extra stops but the high ISO on your 6D is good enough that you can just rock a 40 pancake all day. Comical vignetting on your full frame is the only "downside".

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Its perfectly good considering the next step up is the 70-300 IS for like $350.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
How is it "making GBS threads" over the 24-105L? I can see that its indeed better at the wide end but slightly worse at the long end. Also, I can't find the Sigma for less than $850 while the Canon can be had for less than $700 at times. It may be better but its nowhere near the levels of ownage that the 35mm ART is over the 35mmL. Sure, people moving into full frame with no FF lenses and therefore have to get one can spring for the Sigma but if you've already got a 24-105L don't bother lifting a finger.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
YES YES YES YES YES

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Ughh my 60D resale value :negative:

At least fewer people will be suckered into rebels for their first camera :unsmith:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Tamron 150-600mm is getting me AMPED UP. Sure its f/5-6.3 but if it can maintain 5.6 up to 400mm and at least challenge the 100-400mmL there then holy balls. Also less than $1100??? And the price is sure to drop too, just look what is happening to the 24-70mm 2.8 VC. Must...have...reviews....

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The Tamron is better all around up to about 150mm and from then on the Canon has better center quality but worse edges and corners. You can use in camera chromatic aberation correction with the Canon. Good if you're shooting jpeg most of the time.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/tamron-sp-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-di-vc-usd-lens-review-23866

So maybe it might not destroy the 100-400mm @ 400mm 5.6 but less CA across the entire zoom range and that sick, sick 600mm of sniper reach is just so drat sexy. Also read somewhere that it does indeed maintain 5.6 up to 400mm (like 411mm I think?)

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Just to throw another wrench into the works:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2013/01/geometric-distortion-correction.html

Long ends of zoom lenses will still produce pincushion distortion, which while not as unflattering as barrel, is still not what could be considered "perfect". Even the high and mighty 24-70mm 2.8 II has some pincushion at 70mm and that focal length is considered barely adequate for portraits on FF.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/0...t&ref=title_0_1

Average build quality, probably worse image quality than the 28-300L, vignetting and CA on the short and long ends but man is it light and handy. I can see this and a 40mm on a 6D partying so hard on travel.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Anyone whos gotten a 24-105 as part of a FF kit has more reasons to keep it than sell it. Especially true for 5D3 and 6D where you can just pile on the ISOs. The Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC may only be a couple hundred bucks more than the 24-105 and therefore pretty attractive if you buy body only but don't forget about that 82mm filter size.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
You can always chant "SEVEN DEE MARK TWOOO" while sacrificing a chicken or something.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I have a Rokinon 35mm 1.4 I'm trying to sell if manual everything is ok.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Nice. For that money you could have gotten...my used 60D :negative:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
T5i is nice if you've never had to experience any of the older rebels before and in fact probably makes for a nice crop sensor companion to the 6D for extra telephoto reach. Other than ergonomics and a slight build quality disadvantage, the T5i puts the final nail in the 60D's coffin in terms of features. I'd still recommend a used 60D as a first body though since any upgrade you make after that will be configured more similarly to it than any rebel. Y'know, like a real (d)SLR should be.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

I exchanged my Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC for a Canon 70-200/4L IS and I couldn't be happier with the swap. Go with the Canon.

and then buy a Tamron 150-600 for when you need reach :getin:

24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f4 IS and that Tamron sniper rifle (along with a 40mm pancake and 85mm 1.8 for other dickings around) on a 5D3 would be my dream setup.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yes, sensor-wise the 7D is really showing some serious aging and rightly so but the AF is still quite decent and the viewfinder has never been bettered or even equalled by Nikon ever on a crop body.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'm selling my 60D as soon as I can find a deal for a 5D3...from a legit source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
jfc, the moment I have a few bucks saved and ready to go, up all the (legit) 5Dm3 deals just seem to dry the hell up. Nothing on KEH, nothing on lensauthority, nothing from the Canon refurb site (of course) and all the ebay sellers are grey market so iffy US warranties :negative: