Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
With the move to stabilized f1.4 lenses instead of f1.2 (or the rare f1.0), the 'need' to ditch the EF mount is even less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Used 5D3s are not more than around $1600 on fleabay or even less for high shutter count examples. But of course there's always bundled battery grips and all kinds of other accessories that can drive up the listing.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
6D original.

Less high ISO noise than even a 5dIII and a better center AF point in low light. Which is the only point you'll be using on a 6D because its AF system suuuuuucccksssss.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Now that you mention it, I wonder why APS-H hasn't made a comeback in the mirrorless space.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Buffers/resolution = framerate. 1D III is 10 FPS. 1Ds III is only 5.

APS-H for sports, wildlife, UFOs, etc.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Posted on SA before but if I can bird with a 60D and a 40mm pancake...

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
It was on the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. I just got it out at arms length straight upwards. Red AF confirm in the VF is still visible so there you go :effort:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
There's no RAW or JPEG or lightbulbs or lenses or UFOs overhead affecting anything.

Its just different sensors, different BIOSes. Or rather the hardcoded procedures that dictate how signals from the sensor are handled. All your settings and profiles are just adjustments to these default values. Go ahead and dump them from the camera motherboards and inspect the code line by line if you want. The truth is out there.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Is that at least 4k24p at 10 bits?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

xzzy posted:

The 80d and 7d2 are so close in capability they're really gonna have to make the mk3 a monster to justify the pro designation.

Really good 4k video and 14+ FPS should move some units even at the cost of cannibalizing some higher end sales.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Not bad, is this the 22 or the 24 wide open? Decent bokeh if it isn't.

Speaking of bokeh though - I can't go back to crop because FF can do so much more, especially at apertures you don't normally consider portrait like f/4 (and I can't afford any 2.8 zooms):

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
rebel scum

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'd suggest something 85mm because while the 135 is great its also a bit tight for portraiture indoors - unless you're doing that sort of thing exclusively outdoors.

See if you can't swing a 40mm pancake. The plain old 50mm is getting really long in the tooth and is pretty horrid wide open. The pancake on the other hand is totally usable wide open, aside from heavy vignetting.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Don't forget the in camera corrections for jpegs at least for certain bodies. Third party lenses don't get that.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
f/4 doesn't suck nearly as much as it used to, high ISO performance having improved drastically in the last ~10 years.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
A 400mm or even 300mm 2.8 with the TCs is probably more versatile? thats the best I got.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
True barbarism confession: Ive never even used the Cf slot in my 5d3. I have Cf cards but they're small and slow as hell so I just never bothered.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

xzzy posted:

IMO the later the better, Yellowstone turns into pure magic once there's snow.

Normal vehicle access isn't a guarantee during winter months. In fact, it would be safer to count against it.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
f/4 is the smarter choice these days with sensors getting better and better at high ISOs. Unless you are literally doing paid work, save the $ and your spine.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
That's not a zoom though and f2 is on a different level entirely for that focal length

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
:aaa::hf::smith:

Yeah I want a 300 2.8 (which would have a 2x TC permanently attached).

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

dakana posted:

A 600 f/4 would be faster and sharper in that case :getin:

Now that's a fantasy!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
drat the 400 5.6 just got a new lease on life

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Sweet holy mother of jesus how things have changed. 10 years ago, Canon was the practically the ONLY choice for serious video work. 7D and 5Dii were used in The Avengers and I can't how you get more serious than that.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Where the hell is the 200-500 5.6? I know the Nikon one kinda sucks and there are obvious alternatives but my tammy 150-600 is "only" 6.3 by 500mm

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Hey I post on here and TFR (and YOSPOS [shamefully])

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Old rear end a7s ii is only 12MP but gets usable images up to ISO 102400. The video at ISO 51200 is still incredible.

Good high ISO also lets you get away with just carrying f/4 across your range instead of breaking your back over heavy f/2.8 if moving around is involved.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
A computer powerful enough to process that 8K video in real time is going to cost you...around the cost of another R5 lol

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Just duct tape four of these together and you'll have an unstoppable telephoto solution.

I didn't even know these existed but I'm not paying $300 for a phone sensor.

If they bump that up to a micro 4/3 or even 1 inch sensor, add more capture options, I'd seriously consider it.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Helen Highwater posted:

This is a heavy crop from a shot with the 70-200 f/4L IS taken from a moving train.

The lens is goddamn witchcraft.

IMG_8771.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

I'll see your 70-200 f/4L IS (a lens I also own and love) and raise you a 40mm pancake on a moving boat

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

xzzy posted:

Lens bragging: 150-600, 1/5000 at 6400, indoors, stationary cat, in direct sunlight. View that sucker full size and start counting cat hairs!

This is the original Tamron 150-600, the "bad" one. I was extremely disappointed with it on the 80D because it had a miserable time focusing on anything and was getting set to sell it for a big loss. The R5 pumped life in to it.

(I was trying to get a feel for shadow recovery but this particular frame didn't need it. there's no noise reduction on if you want to see how noisy it is)

Hey I have that lens too!

Not bad for shooting from foulpole to foulpole.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Not sure you'll be able to spring a trade in the way you are thinking. Not many people with an older FF will want to give it up for a crop sensor DSLR. I know I don't. You'll probably be better off selling it and then buying the FF.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The 6D will have better high ISO performance than the 7D2. In fact, the 6D was even slightly better than the 5D3 for pure high ISO.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Not often mentioned great feature of the 7D is the full coverage and 1 to 1 magnification viewfinder. It is a true WYSIWYG viewfinder you don't get even in the 1D series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
40mm pancake

that is all