Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

InternetJunky posted:

At the risk of exposing myself to further ridicule for not knowing everything about my 1dx -- is there anything that anyone can think of that would cause the camera to severely underexpose each picture? I went out shooting yesterday and every single shot has a histogram like this (auto-iso, so it's not that I'm specifying ISO 100 either):

I usually shoot using spot metering, but it doesn't seem to matter what I pick as all the shots came out like this.
You don't have auto-lighting optimization on do you? That poo poo is on by default on my 7D and it's a terrible terrible thing.

Just picked up a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 A1. (the new version) Tons of purple fringing at 1.4 but otherwise fantastic so far. Build quality is excellent. Auto focus seems great too, but I haven't started pixel peeping yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

My take on the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A1 on my 7D. Take all my opinions with a bit of a grain of salt, though, because I'm not that experienced with lenses, especially primes.

- Excellent build quality for the price. The lens feels solid, snaps on my camera snugger than my Canon or Tokina lenses, the focus ring is smooth and well damped. Even the lens hood has a rubber-finish grip around it. (though it is just normal plastic on the inside of the hood, not felt)
- This is useless for a review, but the lens simply LOOKS good. Sigma paid attention to the actual visual design of the lens, right down to the markings that line up the lens hood to the lens, and the materials complement each other and look right at home on my 7D.
- Great picture quality at f/1.8 through f/8. Sharp in the centre, pretty good in the corners. Won't win awards for it, but it's quite good. This is probably the lens' biggest downfall if you already have a fast prime; pixel peeping it seems like my Canon 17-55 f/2.8 can compete on sharpness, which just feels wrong for a prime lens.
- Lack of barrel distortion. (as any prime should have)
- Autofocus is quiet but quite slow compared to Canon's. I may have microAF adjustments to do with mine as I was shooting tonight at a party with it open around f/1.8 and a lot of people came in soft looking, even if they weren't moving. I wasn't having those issues in the similar situations the night before at f/1.4, strangely.
- Depth of field effects are great, backgrounds are very well blurred out and bright spots come in as tidy circles. 9-blade rounded apertures, yay!
- At f/1.4 you get the usual wide-open-aperture issues:
--- Vignetting (though I find it manageable for this)
--- Very prone to flares
--- Almost disturbing amounts of purple fringing if bright spots are anywhere near in-focus (disappears at f/1.8)

Overall, I'd recommend this to... me. Because I was looking for a fast prime (for background blurring mostly) that was about equivalent to 50mm on a full frame. It came down to the full-frame Sigma 35mm f/1.4, the Canon EF 28mm f/2, or the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC. I'm not going to be upgrading to full frame, I'm on a budget, the sharpness doesn't matter to me too much (my photos only wind up on the web really, it's a hobby not a profession), and the weight and size savings mattered to me quite a lot. The crop-sensor 30mm hit the middle of the road sweet spot for me.

If up-front money, weight, or size are less of an issue to people though, I'd imagine it's difficult to consider this lens over the 35mm full-frame Sigma.

If people want more photos in addition to what was posted in this thread earlier, I'll have to post those later.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 16, 2013

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

bobfather posted:

It has an extra 5mm of range, otherwise the Sigma matches or exceeds it.
What about autofocus speed? That's always a big thing for me and is the reason I went with the Canon 17-55 IS USM. Considering my 30mm Sigma DC HSM A1's focus speed, I'd be concerned. My 30mm Sigma is sluggish, my Canon 17-55 is lightning fast.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

somnambulist posted:

Hmm I searched the wiki and nothing really shows up for bootloader :/
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#misc_shortcuts

"SET pressed at startup: loads vanilla firmware (does not load Magic Lantern)."

Is that what we're looking for here?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

If you're shooting handheld, at night, on an XSi, you'll want that f/2.8. The zoom range is limited but the f/2.8 will allow you to keep exposures firmly in hand-shakeless territory or maybe even on ISO 800. (which saves you from the horrors that are ISO 1600 on an XSi)

I used to shoot handheld with the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 on an XSi at night, now I use a 7D for that, and yeah. That f/2.8 goes a long way. It's a great lens, too.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

So I've been using my 7D long enough now, and am just curious: does anyone else find that it completely over exposes outside? I swear every time I step outside I'm shooting at -1 EV just so everything isn't blown out. I have auto lighting optimizer turned off. Maybe I should try a different metering mode?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Which metering mode are you using?

The default - evaluative. I know what the other modes do, I'm just not sure they fit the way I use my camera. (maybe I need to change the way I use my camera, or keep doing -1 EV.)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

My Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM has push/pull zoom. :haw:

I wish the design wizardry Canon uses for their L zoom lenses could be applied across the entire range. The zoom ring on my 70-200 f/4 L is perfectly smooth, has zero zoom creep, and require less force than my 17-55. (which requires more force, stutters when trying to zoom smoothly, and zoom creeps like a motherfucker)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Played with a 70D today at Canon's service centre/retail outlet in Osaka today. It's pretty nice.
  • The movie AF works mostly as advertised. The focus change pace is nice and smooth, and I think I spotted a custom function to change its speed. (could be wrong)
  • One shot AF in live view also has the same focus speed as movie mode AF. The viewfinder is faster to start, and faster to acquire lock.
  • It's a massive improvement on Canon's contrast AF but not as WTF speedy as Olympus'. It doesn't seem to be me to be able to replace the phase array when speed matters.
  • I did not have time to try swapping lenses - will be interesting to see it behave on a USM.
  • I did not have any moving subjects to try follow-focus on a movie, only changing subjects.
  • I did not try moving the focusing rectangle around in live view. (an absolutely painful process on at least the 7D)
  • I do not like the focus-by-wire ring on STM lenses. It often gets overridden by whatever the camera is doing. Is is NOT full time manual.
  • Constant AF triggering during live view is on by default but can be turned off.
  • There's no autofocus "bounce" as you often get with contrast AF. (i.e. front focus -> hit focus -> back focus -> hit focus -> lock) It's confident in its ability to acquire lock.
  • Though sometimes the AF will go in the wrong direction at first, but not nearly as often as contrast AF, and I did not see this while a movie was recording. (only while it was lazily auto-AFing around in live view)
  • Judging by what I saw on the camera's screen, ISO performance is roughly 1 stop ahead of current Canon crops. ISO 6400 looked like about ISO 3200 on my 7D. Not a HUGE improvement, it's not about to make me stop drooling after the full frame Canons, but it's welcome. (do not take this as gospel though, previewing on an LCD screen in a well lit retail outlet using JPEG and standard noise reduction is not a way to measure noise, measured performance by tools may well be worse!)
  • They removed pinpoint and expanded cross AF from the 7D system. You only get point, zone, and all. Other than that, seemed the same to me.
  • Focus screen has been inherited from the 7D to go along with the AF.

In short: this is what the EOS M should have had in the first place. The speed of the live view AF still needs improvement though, if you ask me, as it still falls short of the phase-array/viewfinder AF and Olympus' contrast AF. However, contrast AF (even Olympus') has unreliable subject tracking.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 7, 2013

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I finally popped on Magic Lantern the other day on my 7D. Seems stable enough as long as I don't play around with the focusing features. Dual ISO, zebras, and live audio levels are dreamy. :allears:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Get a used 70-300 DO.

:suicide:

(I want to love that lens so bad and considering I've seen it as low as 600 used... Looking at the bokeh from it will change your mind though)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

There was a fellow here earlier in the thread saying his Canon camera was perma-stuck being really slow to wake from sleep after they installed Magic Lantern - even after he wiped ML off his memory card and was back to a Canon firmware.

I experienced the same infuriating problem today, and it turns out a normal flashing of your firmware will not disable the bootflag that has your camera attempt to check your CF/SD card for firmware every time it wakes up. Seek out firmware (or make your own) that disables your camera's bootflag and your camera will go back to being speedy. The instructions for doing this on a 7D are here, search for "7dnoboot" on the page.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The 70D embargo is up, looks like.

Here's DigitalRev's rather fluffy review. On the opposite end of the spectrum is DxO's clinical take. Have a handy link on DxO comparing the 70D, 7D, and 5Dmk3 sensors. (don't look at the Sony or Nikon comparisons or you'll kill yourself)

If you don't feel like clicking any links: it has the same colour depth, dynamic range, and ISO performance of every other Canon sensor of the last 4 years. It's a smidge better than the 7D. DxO hasn't really tested resolving power it seems though, since the 70D has an extra 2mp. Still waiting on DPReview.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Manuals are free PDF downloads from canon.com. I keep my camera's manual on my phone at all times just in case. :-)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It simply added too much work to my work flow to process the dual ISO business. And I agree with you - the extra dynamic range simply wasn't worth the effort. Or the moire effects. It's a fantastic idea on paper but not in practice.

The thing keeping my on Canon now is that the only 2 companies with mirror less and DSLRs bodies, and lenses that work on both, are Sony and Canon. I already tried the NEX though and simply didn't like it, had it for 3 months. If Canon comes out with a 70D grade EOS M I will seriously be considering it. I'd like to keep the option to have a full frame SLR on hand for when I want it, and the M for pocketing. (with the option of using full size lenses should I desire better optics) It'd allow for quite a lot of flexibility without having to invest in an entirely new system.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Wario In Real Life posted:

Marginal improvements aren't considered improvements apparently.

Also the only thing you're purchasing is a sensor.
It's very interesting to see DigitalRev's 70D vs D7100 in comparison to what people (including myself) are saying. Kai and company don't really see many differences between the two in terms of image quality. (though he did not touch on dynamic range) The biggest difference is, naturally, the 70D has the edge in movies. Kai describes most of the differences as "slight" for taking pictures.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

If it's a USM lens, no. If it's a regular old little motor, I don't think it's suggested.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

InternetJunky posted:

The 7D isn't weather sealed though. It's got better sealing than the models below it, but you still wouldn't want to be shooting with it in a light rain unprotected.
I've done this plenty of times. :confused: I believe the official line is "weather resistant." Don't take it out in a hurricane, but light rain shouldn't kill it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

CA and fringing can be fixed automatically in post with Lightroom 5, and I found that CA and purple fringing practically disappears for me at f/1.8 on my Sigma 30mm.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

1st AD posted:

...I somehow managed to never take any landscape shots with my 10-22 :psyduck:

Just a shitton of social/party shots.
You need something very close to you in order to take landscapes with an ultra wide. If you're taking panorama photos and such, they're not that useful since all the detail in the distance is REALLY "in the distance." Close objects look really close, far objects look really far.

I use my ultra wide for dense urban shooting and parties, not so much for landscape.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I honestly just rely on the fact that if AF is not achieved, the 7D (and I imagine any other Canons) will focus seek and put the lens through its entire zoom range. If AF is good, I won't see the hunt. There's also the AF confirmation light in the viewfinder, or yeah, use the beep. It's there for a reason, and I don't see why you wouldn't use it if this is an issue for you.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Is the kit lens f/2.8 through the whole range? That's always the deciding factor for me. I'll take being able to do shallow DOF and not having to worry about my exposure changing on me than faster/silent AF.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

For taking photos, Magic Lantern is horrible for me simply because of the wake-from-sleep penalty. Having to wait 3-4 seconds from half shutter to auto focus starting was simply too much of a drawback. The graininess and aliasing in dual ISO on top of the post processing requirements also made that too much of a pain.

It's great for movies though!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Canon's cameras are not UHS-1 yet, their SD writing interfaces top out at about 13MB/s last I checked. You can go way faster with an CF card and yes, it DOES make a difference while shooting burst with RAW. Trying to argue anything else is silly, it is a real, measurable benefit. Your Rebel's burst will last you a second or so and then dive down to about .5-.8fps shooting raw. My 7D has a 24-deep buffer (after firmware 2.0) and just like a Rebel, will be writing to the (much faster) CF card while continuing the burst. It gives me 3-4s of higher-speed burst rate, and/or the ability to fire multiple bursts. If I do manage to deplete my buffer I can still shoot 1.5-2fps.

It's an actual, tangible benefit to have a faster card and a deeper buffer. Just because it doesn't matter to YOU does not mean it doesn't matter to some of US. One of the deciding factors for me for 7D vs 60D years ago was the fact that I hated my Rebel XSi's buffer as I constantly ran into it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Wasn't aware the 70D was UHS. Thanks for the heads up. That puts it on par with CF then, with a good card.

Write speeds can make a difference, as they can effectively extend your buffer. While you keep snapping, the camera is dumping files out. The faster it can, the quicker the tail end of your buffer frees up.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

For your purposes a 6D would be better, but you have to look at your budget and your existing lenses as said above.

The 6D has full frame goodness - better images. Weakest auto focus.
The 7D has the buffer and auto focus advantage.
The 70D has a video advantage. Auto focus almost as good as 7D.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

He has a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC, which effectively already gives him 40 2.8. The Tamron should be sharp as well.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Whats the consensus on the 70D? Theres nothing on it in the OP, but it's listed at the same price as the 7D on amazon right now. ($1k)
7D will have slightly better AF, weather resistance, and much better burst write speeds (for shooting RAW), but I can't see any of those being a huge advantage over the 70D's slightly better image quality, live-view autofocus, better video, and tilty screen.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Sometimes there is a difference - Canon's USM in general tends to behave faster/better than Tamron's or Sigma's, for example. (but Tamron/Sigma still have USM)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Let's not forget that the 70D has a legitimately cool sensor in it that nobody else does. (every pixel in the sensor is a phase detect AF point and is pretty quick at it too)

Too bad Canon is too stupid to put it in a mirrorless camera. Nope. It'd work too well.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The Tamron 17-50 VC is simply not as sharp as its older brother, it's also not as cheap. That's why the older model gets recommended.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It'll also slow your camera coming from sleep (powered on but no controls) for a good 3+s. (as opposed to an instant wake up) This may or may not be a turnoff for you, but it was an instant scramble to uninstall all traces for me when I went to shoot motorsports. For "slower" shooting like intervalometer stuff, it has its uses. :)

n.b. this was my experience on a 7D w/beta ML but it wasn't only the 7D with this issue.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

A used 7D might be up your alley. Much faster shooting and controls, but your image quality won't be any better.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

If you're considering the 24-70L /at all/, why not the 24-70 Tamron? It's way more expensive than the lenses you're looking at right now, but it's by no means bad, and it's a drat sight cheaper than the Canon.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

iSheep posted:

6D is best option if you are on a budget and want full frame.

If rough English doesn't bother you, this guy does some not so technical comparisons of the 6d, 5dmk3, and 7dmk2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJb5Cjdw3KA
Lok is awesome. It's too bad he wasn't trying to be funny this video, he's at his best when trying to be funny. :3:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Full frame dual-pixel-focus mirrorless Canon camera is why Canon fans are upset. They can do it! They can DO IT. But they're not.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

All is moot when you see how much he glossed over the issues over the Samsung's lens. What good is the camera itself if that's the lens you'll have? He forked over all that cash to rent/have the Zeiss but couldn't find an equivalent on the Samsung?

Yeah, no, I'll wait until I see something far more comprehensive and less breathless.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I imagine the actual target audience for this camera (landscape/studio) won't care so much about a lack of high ISO. Either they are finely controlling incoming light during daytime with filters for landscape, or they have total control over all lighting in a studio.

If low ISO is a tradeoff for any sort of higher dynamic range, I imagine it'd be well worth it to them.