Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Encrypted posted:

The R is not too bad if you can get it for that price.
Just keep on using all of your adopted EF lenses and be ok with 3fps when you are doing continuous AF.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2376449107/report-canon-is-lowering-profit-forecast-20-due-to-shrinking-camera-sales

Who could have foreseen such a thing when they had almost no new innovation since the 5d4 :shrug:

Cameras are probably the highest profile product Canon makes but I wanted to check and see for myself, and if you dig into their annual report you see that the "Imaging products" only make up 25% of sales volume. By comparison, office products are 45% of the sales volume. And remember there are other reports from Japan last year saying Canon was already the biggest mirrorless brand in terms of sales there. EOS M sells a ton to the one-time Nikon D40 and Digital Rebel markets.

My guess? Camera sales shrinking won't help, but it's easier to use a market that is high profile and acknowledged as shrinking as the scapegoat. Nobody will know until the actual reports come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Encrypted posted:

lol

Yeah keep on releasing those rebadged 6d2 and 5d4 as rp and r while refusing to pack more features into the hardware to make them at least somewhat competitive.

The hilarious thing is that canon probably already blew their load on the mirrorless bodies for the next year or two while they are being trapped in their plan to milk the consumers with the expensive RF lenses.
The only problem is that no one will buy those RF lenses if people just jump ship to sony.

so it's absolutely impossible that what I said (about Canon's annual full corporate profitability) and you posted (about Sony doing well for a one-month period market share-wise) can't both be right?

Canon's not exactly sprinting out of the gate with its full-frame stuff, but their camera profitability is more likely tied to people buying more or fewer M bodies and kits or Digital Rebels. Which is why they need non-L glass for the RF if they want it to have a future.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Problem is the EOS-M lens lineup is doodoo compared with Fuji, m43, or Sony, unless you’re adapting EOS lenses, in which case what’s the point?

I liked the M3 when I had it last year, there’s just no room to grow the system.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I get to use my L-Glass without any issue, unlike if I had to adapt it to other systems? (Like on my Sony cameras?)

Not seeing the problem here frankly - If there is one thing Canon have done right is making sure the EF lenses work without any issues on RF and M. An M6 mk II wont replace my 1D or 7D mk II but it will make a neato small and light replacement to the 7D original.

I don’t/didn’t have L glass, and part of the reason I got a MILC was to carry it easily everywhere. It got too bulky even with the Tamron 18-55. Compared to the Fuji XT30 and 18-55 I have now, it was a bigger combo.

The M isn’t a bad camera but it has limitations, which I bumped into. Others may not.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

So I'm considering something completely blasphemous for the SA camera forum: switching back to a Canon APS-C DSLR from Fuji mirrorless. I took some pictures at a friend's wedding recently and found my X-T2 pretty weak for available-light shots of people dancing at night. The great high-ISO performance of Fuji sensors doesn't mean much when the shots are out of focus. I'm also not very happy with the 18-55 kit zoom; I've returned two already for what I consider to be pretty bad optical quality issues for a lens of its price.

The M6ii and 90D finally have decent 1080p that at least gets into the ballpark of the X-T2's HD video (4K isn't a concern). I'd opt for the M6ii, but the lack of a headphone jack is a deal breaker, so it'd have to be the 90D.

The problem is, even though the 18-55 zoom sucks, the Fuji primes are great. I like my 35/2 and 23/2, and if I stick with the system I'll be eyeing the 16/1.4 and 56/1.2. I need a good stabilized zoom (and there are plenty of those in EF-S mount), but I would miss the primes. As far as I can tell, the only fast prime for EF-S is the Sigma 30/1.4. I'm not that interested in an 'upgrade path' to FF, nor do I like the idea of spending extra money and earmarking additional bag space/weight for FF EF glass. Are there any other good prime lenses for EF-S mount besides the Sigma 30mm?

Hi, I had the EOS M3 for a year and now I’ve got an X-T20. The only really superb EF-M lens I used was the 22 f/2 pancake; I didn’t try the more recently released 32 f/1.4 but it’s apparently reviewed okay. The EF-M 11-22 and 18-55 both felt pretty optically dead average (and the “good” 18-55 isn’t available new anymore only the 15-45), which is Fine, but at fairly narrow max aperture and optically below (in my experience) the Fuji 18-55.

The best time I had with the M3 was using the EF-M adapter and the Tamron 17-50 non stabilized lens. That was a great setup, but it became DSLR big easy.

Have you thought about getting the new Fuji 16-80? Still has IS, constant f/4 and more reach than the 18-55. It’s getting pretty good reviews on release.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Everything new screams “for sports photographers who are uploading straight out of camera to FTP servers.” The DPReview overview spotlights that you can have one WiFi signal for shooting controls and another one for sending the files to upload at the same time :psyduck:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

President Beep posted:

Wonder if either manufacturer will ever do EF-M versions.

Lol

That said if you’re not worried about the size, the EF-M adapter works really well. I got some very good shots with the Tamron 17-50 non-IS on the M3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

Man this might be my new body... I'm scared for the pricing now. I wonder what this does for the market in used canon glass if now there's ibis.

Probably not much, because of the adapters that are available.

[Edit] also depends on how the IBIS is designed to work in concert with Canon’s IS on lenses. But that’ll only be known once those things are truly out and in the wild.