Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
EF-S is the side they've held back on; ecomonics favour spending R&D on L class EF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'll be amazed if the 5DIV is anything other than a higher megapixel version of the 1DII sensor in the 7DII body, with almost no other surprised innovated gadgets thrown in. The pixel count will be in the 30's, to separate it from 6DII which will be a 20MP FF sensor in a 70/80D body.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's notable that Canon haven't step from the P&S field in to the high end 'large sensor, limited zoom lens' segment. So their G7X/G9X attacks the popular RX100 line, but I'm not sure they've even attempted to play against the X70, X100, RX1R, GR II, etc

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I went and had a look - I reckon this is the current line-up. On top of this they have a few superseded models which they're listing as current - I assume they have a stock they're selling off? The G series explosion is a recent thing; for a long time it was a single camera line that went through 16 iterations (G1, G2, G3... G16).

I can't be bothered to look up what specs differentiate the rest, other than to say every single lens has it's own focal length range...

The premium end (all 1" sensors apart from the first)
PowerShot G1 X Mark II (1.5" sensor)
PowerShot G3 X (an RX100 with a large lens so it's neither compact nor convenient)
PowerShot G5 X (the bastard love child of an RX100 and a DSLR)
PowerShot G7 X Mark II (the RX100 clone)
PowerShot G9 X (extra slim)

Bridge
PowerShot SX60 HS
PowerShot SX530 HS
PowerShot SX420 P IS
PowerShot SX720 HS
PowerShot SX610 HS

Small compacts
IXUS 285 HS
IXUS 180
IXUS 175

Novelties
PowerShot N2 (designed for selfies)
PowerShot N100 (has a rearfacing camera so takes a picture of the photographer at the same time then superimposed it in the corner...)

Rugged/Waterproof
PowerShot D30

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The 1DX is a Canon model not Sony. not sure which Sony you actually mean.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Part of it is the feeling that they've sat still in a lot of areas where they really shouldn't have for reasons decided by accountants. For example when the 5DII came on the scene, people forgave it's rudimentary video controls because it gave access to a video quality never before affordable. Eight years later and they're still peddling that same underwhelming user experience. The things that would improve this (focus peaking and what not) are not things that are expensive to implement or come with downsides. Likewise, while their competitors come up with novel ideas like Live Bulb or ways to fit cameras in to the connected digital world, it feels like Canon begrudge having to move beyond Select Aperture-ShuterSpeed-ISO, Shoot, Remove Memory Card, Download.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Canon have clearly run out of ideas and are now going down the special edition route. Unfortunately not with aesthetic quality of say the the Fuji Graphites, rather their designers seem to belong to the same school as those of Pentax, Hasslebad, and Leica...

http://petapixel.com/2016/11/11/canon-launches-graybrown-version-rebel-t6-dslr/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The difference in philosophy is also evident in their approach to crop body lenses. Nikon again went with backwards compatibility such that DX lens can be used on FX bodies, where-as Canon decided that EF-S lenses should be optimised for APS-C bodies at the cost of being able to use them on full-frame bodies.

Canon ditching EF will be tied in to the switch to mirrorless when that time eventually comes.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Well CanonRumours have suggested March...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If nothing else, doesn't dual pixel mean the 80D has some very good video autofocus performance? Combined with Canon's track record of making cameras that 'just work', I guess vloggings find that the 80D is a good experience even if other cameras offer 4K, better quality or more bells & whistles.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

For example, at first glance you would assume the camera can take RAW or JPEG but not both. If I didn't own an older OG M, I wouldn't have known you can elect to save both. It took digging and I eventually discovered that feature is still there but for some reason it's only accessible via the live shooting menu, not the static menus, and even then by having to drop into an undocumented sub menu.
I don't own a M50 and this video is in Chinese Korean, but RAW+JPEG seems to be the very first option shown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-e2FSBbkOM

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 13, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

For future knowledge when someone inevitably asks me about how to configure a Canon mirrorless, the issue is the Guided vs Standard option under Disp Level Settings?

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 14, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Something like exiftool should export all metadata to a text file.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's very unlikely there will ever be a RF to E mount adaptor. The flange distance is only 2mm longer than E-Mount which isn't much to work with. The bigger issue is that the RF mount is 54mm diameter so the rear elements of RF lenses won't fit in to E Mount's 46mm diameter without hitting the sides. Any adaptor would need to have optical elements to increase the flange distance.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

harperdc posted:

There’s actually three adapters:

• Plain ol’ normal adapter
  • Adapter plus aperture/control ring
  • Adapter with Drop-in filter

The others are a little more expensive than the standard one, but still. Kinda crazy they have three available so soon.
A little?

Plain - $100
With added control $200
With drop in CPL filter $300
With drop in Variable MD $400.

The cost of the one with the drop in filters follows the over the top pricing of their drop-in filter holders for their telephotos. More users of their telephotos would probably make use of the functionality if they didn't want $110 for a tiny holder or $230 for the one with a CPL. Sadly there's never been any third party equivalents.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my DSLR, but I'm struggling to decide which camera would be best. I'd be upgrading from an old 20D so anything will be a huge improvement. My two main candidates are a 6D mkii or a 5D mkiii, because they seem to be roughly the same price. If I control myself and try to be patient, theoretically I could try saving up to jump to a 5D mkiv, but that's a big price difference.

Because I've been using such an old camera for so long, I'm having a difficult time wanting to upgrade to something that's already itself out of date. This, as well as a higher ISO range, more megapixels, and maybe(?) the articulating screen, makes the 6Dii seem a little more appealing. However, the 5Diii has more AF points, faster max shutter speed, and faster max flash sync. The latter two points really stand-out, as well, because the 6Dii's max shutter speed and highest flash sync speed are both worse than my 15 year old 20D. All of that said, the 5Div blows both of them out of the water, but at a much higher price point.

Am I getting hung up over little details here? Are these different specs actually going to be noticeable when using the camera?

I've already received a couple replies when I asked a similar question in the mirrorless thread, but I'd really appreciate any other advice. :)
I think either of those will be leagues ahead of a 20D. What's your lens situation? Are you really wedded to a EF mount camera?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

You can use aps-c lenses with the new R mount right? It'll just apply the crop automatically?
You can use EF-S but not EF-M.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I was in Yellowstone in late Sept/early October a few years ago on an organised photo trip. It wasn't deserted but the crowds were manageable. The only place where it was a problem was the car park for the grand prismatic spring. I mostly used a 500mm F4 on a 1DX for the entire trip. Flexibility for shorter would have been nice but much longer isn't much use; not that you won't encounter animals at a distance but it doesn't solve the issue of atmospherics (heat haze, dust in the air, etc). For subjects further away, either get closer or compose for a animal-in-the-environment style picture.

I'm going back on another organised trip next January, including a decent number of days in snow coaches. Should be excellent (and cold! The coldest I've ever been...)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Encrypted posted:

Also dont get me started on their decision to gouge every user for separate IS on each lens .
I don't think it's gouging. Canon simply have a long running preference for OIS (IBIS makes less sense on a DSLR because it doesn't stabilise the optical viewfinder. ) that left them too late starting to develop IBIS and they don't have a sellable product yet.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'm not sure I'd ever go Sony for aps-c. It's too much of a unloved child compared to their full frame offerings. The benefit of Fuji or m43 is they don't seem them as second tier offerings as Sony, Canon and Nikon have always done.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

I love the idea of fuji's lineup but the lack of third party lenses is a deal breaker for me
Is that a cost thing or are the specific lenses that Fuji aren't providing?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Good job my arguement wasn't Canon over Sony...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

That if you're ditching Canon because the grass is greener elsewhere, Sony APS-C isn't as green as it gets. Yes Sony have nice sensors but they really want you to buy their full frame bodies and the aps-c suffer as a result.

IMO if you a small sensor system, the Fuji or m43 grass is greener.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Happy 1DX III Day Everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXPMoN7iOM

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's a good thing. Switching cards is always a pain but in the long run it was better when the SD and CF duo won out, and it'll be better now everyone is settling on SD and CFE. These two standards should now be good for a decent amount oftime. Nikon using XQD and Canon opting forCFast did no one any favours.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 8, 2020

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I once spoke to a Canon rep about the inbuilt 1.4x in the 200-400 and if we could see it in the other big whites. The response was basically 'The sports photographers don't like it as they think it makes the max aperture too slow and it's the sports guy who decide the market. So no.' Canon will have had massive amounts of discussions with that market and danced to their tune. If they wanted 30+ MPs then that's what Canon would have done instead.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The whole 'Canon's Cripple Hammer' thing is poppycock. Canon have simply been behind the curve on their sensor technology and it's not trivial to upgrade sensor fabs. This is just the fruit of Canon working away in the background and getting the sensor tech up to speed.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Like Nikon they were a bit caught between switching to mirrorless and annoying their existing userbase. I do think that having put off the switch they failed to do enough behind the scenes R&D on stuff like IBIS. The video resolution/fps stuff I do think it entirely hardware (a combination of the sensor and processor) except for the occasional stupidity like dropping 24p.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The 8K recording will be a novelty but it doesn't matter because 'people who should shoot 8K' and 'people who should use a camera that isn't a dedicated movie camera' doesn't overlap. The importance of even a modest 8K capability almost certainly means a practical 4K capability.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

Canon just released this today:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/

Software to make most of the EOS cameras into Webcams. So you can have the best stream in Teams.
It seems to work on my 5DSR. It's pretty basic at the moment: it's just a background driver so there no gui (all settings need to done on the body), no audio, it's only 1024x576 (so sub 720P) and I don't get any autofocus. That said it seems to work in OBS/WebEx/Skype.

Even if the resolution is in theory lower than my real webcam, it's quality blows it out of the water; a respectable ISO performance trumps pixels.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If your camera doesn't work and you were really desperate, there's always the option to kludge together EOS tethering app + OBS Studio.

Use the EOS Utility Live Tether app, turn on the live view preview
Setup OBS to screen capture the relevant area of your screen
Turn on OBS VirtualCam to broadcast your capture as a webcam device

It's not the easiest solution and you need to have enough monitor real estate to have room to leave the tethering app running (you can minimise OBS).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

What program were you using to record? My 6d Mk2 with the 50mm f/1.8 STM attached to it was autofocusing with OBS Studio and was picking up audio.
All of them. It's not that there's an audio track that's silent, the utility isn't even creating an audio device, just a video one. It's certainly a camera thing, with the hardware/firmware not routing audio over the USB protocol. At the end of the day, it's was never intended for this purpose hence the lack of audio and relatively low resolution. Autofocus is only likely to work on cameras with their dual-pixel sensors.

I do have a HDMI capture device but no camera that puts out a clean picture!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Sell a kidney and get a used 500 or 600 f/4. It'll be love at first sight. Or sell the Canon gear and get the Nikon PF 500m f/5.6

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

That Canon have been able to go from limited crop-heavy 4k to uncropped 8K does seem to suggest they're about to unveil a generational leap in their sensor technology. It might just be limited to to read-speed aspects but for the first time in a while (2013's Dual Pixel?), it's a Canon sensor that appears to be more than incremental improvements.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

UK prices have leaked

Canon EOS R6 Body £2499
Canon EOS R6 w/24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM £2899
Canon EOS R5 body £4199

That will include 20% sales tax.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

brand engager posted:

Is there anything to mirrorless besides weight savings and a little bit of space saving? It seems like most of the features they get can be on a dslr without paying a premium for mirrorless.
Off the top of my head:
They make more sense for video as you can still use the EVF.
The EVF is wysiwyg which a lot of people like
Originally using the sensor was a big disadvantage compared to the mature technology used in DSLRs but over time it's actually opening up the option for some clever advancements. Eye focus, where the camera can locate and track the eyes in the frame, is the big buzzword at the moment.
IBIS. There's nothing to stop IBIS in a mirrored camera but the viewfinder won't be stabilised so it was generally not done. IBIS means stabilisation with any lens.
DSLRs have long hit the limit of burst rate because of the physics of physically moving the mirror. Mirrorless cameras have in theory a lot of room to go faster
Silent shutter. Moving a mirror is unavoidably noisy and it turns out there's a lot of situations where the noise was tolerated but having a silent camera is beneficial (wildlife, film sets so you don't need a soundproof housing, press conferences, golf when they swing).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_8YCWMgIuY

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

* Launches 8K camera *
* Streams via Youtube at just 4mbps so it all looks soft *

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Didn't an adapter ship in the box with the EOS R? It might with the R5/6 too.
Canon UK are doing a free adaptor but you have to claim it from Canon (and sign up for CPS membership).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

3.68. :smug:

Though Sony just announced their next body will have an EVF with 9.44 million, so I guess that's the new arms race.
SansMirror have a breakdown of which cameras use which EVF resolution.
http://www.sansmirror.com/articles/choosing-a-mirrorless-camer/about-evfs-electronic-viewf.html