Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

xzzy posted:

Canon kinda did it to themselves by hyping up the video features so much.
Never trust a marketing department to market a product accurately.

xzzy posted:

Maybe photo cameras should focus on photo features?
It is a photo camera that focuses on photo features. That's why it overheats. If it was made as a video or hybrid they would have tried to sort out the overheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

EF is now on managed decline (EF-S was always an unloved child. They'll keep making them as long as there are enough sales to justify it, but new models will be the exception. The same goes for the bodies. I reckon there will be a 5DIV (which will be as close to the R5 as possible but minimal mods to get in the mirror box and AF systems.) as that will then buy them 4 years of having something to sell to the DSLR refuseniks.

The only question is how they manage RF vs EF-M. A lot of people think that there will be a hard split; RF for full frame and EF-M for crop. I don't buy that myself, it hurts them too much. Canon, Nikon and Sony would presumably love to just sell FF but the market says otherwise. At the same time Canon aren't going to start duplicating their full lenses offering across two lens mounts. Not offering a crop body that can make use of RF lenses would cut them off some a non-trivial market segment.

So there will be RF APS-C bodies. EF-M will continue as a secondary system targeting low-to-medium budgets in more compact offerings as long as Canon can do so profitably.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

I am not ignorant that it's a bought and paid for advertisement, but dang the way it tracks that eagle is promising. It really just depends how honest the video is.
They followed up with a similar video for Sony (which doesn't feature quite such in-the-dark focusing but on the other hand is really 'sticky') so I think it's an entirely honest video with nothing beyond "they loaned us a camera to try".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9NiLdQGoXA

Their videos all seem to get less than a couple of hundred. The Canon one has hit 25K. Gear chat always wins!

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 22, 2020

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I think it's undoubtedly as good a still camera as there is. Canon's marketing departments really hosed up promoting the 8K/4K HQ modes so heavily and Youtube has responded by making GBS threads all over it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Lots of people take to adapting old lenses because they have "character". I'm not sure character is what you want for astro?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

There's gently caress all money in wilife photography. Supply vastly exceeds demand. "Run photographic tours" seems to be the main income stream these days.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The official C70 cinema camera announcement has gone live.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

1200mm isn't new to them. but only f/8? I'd stick with the classic...
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-1200mm-f-5.6-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Is it crazy to be half-way considering a 5Ds? They're like $1300 right now.
That depends on your use-case. I picked up a 5DsR back in January to pair with my 1DX – I can live with the relatively weak autofocus and ISO performance and it's leagues ahead for when I want to do landscapes. While I can lust after an R5, at ×3.5 the price I don't need to regret picking up the 5DsR.

What are you going to use it for and what other cameras do you have?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

When you say replace, does that mean selling/trading-in the 6D?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Have any of you with an R5/R6 tried it with older EF lenses? I've been seeing people online saying they aren't getting full 12fps burst rate with the mechanical shutter on some older lenses. I have a 500mm F4 mark I which is not on the Canon approved list for high burst rate. If I'd only be getting 5-6fps its kind of a deal breaker for what I like to shoot. Which sucks because that animal eye AF looks mind blowing.
When people are saying they're not getting 12fps, how do their lenses match to the list of lenses supporting high burst rate? My faith in the average camera-owning internet warrior being unable to accurately reference their lens against the support list and being able to accurately assess the fps they are getting, is quite low...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The R6 sensor is a version of the one in the 1D mk III which remains their most expensive ILC. The 18-20MP 1DX line has been a workhorse for sports and wildlife photographers for ages. IMO in the R6 it represents great value.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Doesn't count because people with a 1DX walk around with $12,000 worth of glass stuck to the front of their camera. :colbert:
As a sports camera where focal length isn't such an issue, it's insanely good camera. For large-animal wildlife photography, I don't think it's a major problem either; I shoot 500 on a 1DX and often that can be on the long end (my dream next lens is the 200-400 f4 but the price has gone up £2k in the last two years..). Bird photography is the use-case where the loss of crop is the main issue.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 20, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Well then maybe my expectations are way off because this is an uncropped photo from an APS-C camera at 600mm and I still felt like I was too close: https://i.imgur.com/Ur4zaXy.jpg (please don't point out how I missed focus, it wounds me to this day)

We were maybe 100 meters away? How close are you getting to big stuff?

I get that not every wildlife photo has to fill the frame so you can see the pores on their nose (the best shots have some landscape in them too) but I still felt pretty constrained.
For one thing, here in Blightly we don't have anything that will eat us...

To be honest, I tend to hold the view that 'focal length is no substitute for getting close'. I take stuff at longer distances but often tend to view it as record shots. It's the odd occasion when circumstance offers a closer view that I feel all my best work. I had the chance to photograph a pack of wolves in Yellowstone back in January. We were slightly over the regulation distance; I'd have happily been closer rules aside.

For bears, high up my list is Lake Clark in Alaska, where you can go stand on the beach and the bears wonder around you as they're more interested in the salmon run. I've even heard stories of

https://dannygreenphotography.com/gallery/wild-alaska/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

A bunch of UK shops all have R5s in stock. Either Canon loves the UK more or post-Brexit we can't afford them...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

There are also fewer cameras being sokd (smartphones...) to spread the R&Dcist plus late stage capitalism demands ever ballooning profit.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

There's still no clear idea of what the next R bodies are going to look like. The latest post at Canon Rumors makes me think the r7 will be ff between the r5 and r6, and that the APS-C might slot below the R6 (given the mention of the M50), but we're not likely to see them anytime soon so it's kind of moot. Second half of 2022 probably means announced in the fall and good luck finding it.

I'd trade my R6 for an equivalent APS-C version in a heart beat.
If one is definitely a crop sensor version, the other two being updates to the R and RP would make sense; their latest cameras have matured a lot compared to those initial releases. An interesting question is how they are going to name them. The R6 should have been the R7(to borrow the 7D's heritage in sports/nature). The follow up to the R would then be the R6 (to borrow the 6D's heritage), and the RP becomes the R9. This would keep single digits strictly to full frame cameras. The top of the range crop would be the R10, with subsequent versions using marks. Any other lower cost crop versions can use the XX or XXXX numbering patterns from the DSLRs.

Of course what will happen:
The RP will get an RP Mark ii follow up.
R will become the R10
The top crop will becomes the R7 despite being much more akin to a mirrorless 90D than a mirrorless 7DII

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The R7 seems a bit underwhelming to me. All the oems are focusing on the more premium end as entry level collapses, yet the R7 seems a bit skimpy: an inferior EVF than the R6, no ibis, apparently none of the usual signs that it'll support a battery grip, not making use of the latest sensor tech canon have,..

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Mixed up r5 and r7 reviews...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'll try that again! Mixed up r10 and r7 reviews...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

melon cat posted:

On this note Canon naming conventions are total poo poo. So are Sony's. Really am curious why they do it like this.
I disagree. Any given time, the lower/shorter number the better the tier. For a given tier, the higher number is better. So an 6D is clearer better than a 2000D, and a 90D is clearler newer than a 70D. It's not hard to understand. Sony on the other hand, having their best two models, A1 and A9, bookmark a bunch of other stuff is poo poo.

That said, Canon should have used the mirrorless switch to make single digit models exclusively full frame. The 7D2 successor should have been R10, R10 mkII, R10 mkII, etc, while the XXD lines should have gone R20, R30, etc. Instead the R7 seems to be somewhere between the 7D2 and 90D.