Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

I've started getting into event and wedding photography. I was planning to buy a 70-200 f/2.8 for the weddings coming up, but my fiance just got laid off and now I'm not sure I can afford it. Would it be better to just take the hit and buy the 70-200, or would say a wedding ceremony be doable with a cheaper prime, like the Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm? For reference I already have a 24-70, nifty fifty, and a superzoom for a walk-around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

timrenzi574 posted:

Yeah - unless this is steady paying work, buying a new toy when you've lost a family income is a bad idea.

Thanks, it is paying but not particularly steady at the moment - I have a day job to cover the bases. The problem is that for the weddings I've been to thus far, the 24-70 doesn't have a long enough range and the superzoom doesn't do well with poor lighting.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

My Canon 6D is showing its age and I'm considering a swap to mirrorless, likely the R6 mk2 with an adapter for my beloved lens collection. My dad - an enthusiast astro and landscape photographer who recently switched to mirrorless from a 6D mk2 - flagged that using the screen as a viewfinder can get challenging in certain lighting conditions, like a bright sun at your back making it hard to see the screen and compose the shot. Anyone have experience with this problem and/or ways to mitigate it? My understanding from this thread and other sources is that regardless of the downsides, going to mirrorless would be a pretty serious performance upgrade for me.

Edit: not sure what model he has but it's a Sony.

Winter Rose fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 10, 2023

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Appreciate the responses! I believe he was referring to the LCD screen in his complaints. I've never used Live View much myself though. Interesting to hear about the issue with the EVF though it sounds like it comes down to personal preference between optical and EVF (and EVF and live view).