Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I exclusively use my 14-24 Sigma for city travel. Used to be the EF-S 10-24 but the wider the better for me.

Interesting. Those seem too low for me. Do you never want to get a tighter look at something going on farther away from you?

xzzy posted:

I'm the complete opposite of that, 24-105 is the perfect lens for me. Reasonably wide and sufficient zoom for some detail stuff. Just a great does-it-all lens.

This is the new lens I just bought for travel purposes, after my last trip I got sick of lugging around four lenses while walking 15 miles a day. I got the F4-F7.1 version for budget reasons, so I'll bring along my 35mm 1.8 for once the sun goes down. Two lenses feels reasonable, plus I have a Ricoh GRiiix that I may or may not bring along (fits in my pocket). It's 40mm lens is really close to the 35, but its fun to use and can do the same "film simulation" thing as the Fuji X100V that is all the rage

blue squares fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

what was the sigma?

I somewhat enjoy the heavy 135mm sigma .. makes me feel powerful

Did you invent the 135mm? You post about it constantly 😆

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hoo-boy, the upcoming 24-105 f2.8 really looks like the lens I could use to replace every other lens I have and just permanently use that one. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1793385-REG/canon_rf_24_105mm_f_2_8_l.html

Except of course for the fact that it weighs 3 pounds

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

removed

blue squares fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 3, 2023

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just decided to transform my photographing experience and traded in my 16mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 24-105 non L for the 24-105 L. Now I have one lens that I can permanently use that can do everything. Sure I don't have the 16mm but I didnt really like it, and I can't stop down to 1.8 but I never really liked doing that either.

It's heavy! But as a plus, my total kit will be much lighter and I won't need to carry around multiple lenses unless I also know I need to bring my telephoto, which I only bust out for wildlife. This is a great day!

edit: also returned two overly-expensive peak design bags I had picked up to carry all of those lenses (won't need them anymore + needed to return to make the cost work so it would be an even trade). I can just grab something cheaper and stuff it with padded bags/small organizing bags as needed

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 3, 2023

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

How did you trade in a lens you don't have?

What? Do you mean the 16mm? I meant my new lens can't go that wide since I traded in the 16

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What is the point of the multi function hot shoe adapter?

The guy at the store said I definitely need it to use my Godox flash or wireless trigger, but everything works fine without using this little $40 thingamajig. Why do I need it?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

My understanding is it maintains weather sealing when used with some devices that otherwise breaks it

Does this also mean that when I am using my camera in the rain I should put the hot shoe cover on? I wonder if I can find mine… whoops

edit: whew, I found it

blue squares fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 30, 2023

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Assuming this site is reputable, hell yeah! RF 35L finally coming. I will be buying this as my one prime.
https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-rf-35mm-f-1-2l-usm-confirmed-for-2024-cr3/

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

i reckon i’ll sell the sigma 35 1.4

it’s nice and sharp but drat I never enjoy using it lol

so many people encouraged me to break out of my 135mm prison and there’s a local photographer who uses one and she does great and also encouraged me

this 85mm is a bit more of an experiment to see if I want my second main lens to be 50 or 85 .. maybe 85 and 135 are too similar

who knows

it’s only money

Sell it to me. How much

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'd maybe get that RF 70-200 F4 but I hate that it is white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I got it and I love it :D