Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

HookShot posted:

Oh yeah, I'm sure plastic will be fine, my mom's just old and thinks plastic is this new fangled trick to make people buy things more often than they need to. She will also be so careful with it that it could be made of glass and it would probably be fine forever.

But the camera she bought in Japan in 1986 still works, and it's metal, ergo...

Don't tell her it's plastic. Tell her it's "composite" (that's what Canon does). If she asks, just be like "it's composite...you know, next-gen stuff like carbon fiber or whatever."

And as a 60D owner for going on more than 1.5 years, I can say that the difference in toughness between "composite" and mag-alloy is pretty much psychological for 95% of users. The body is *really* more than tough enough, with the added benefit that it won't dent or scuff like metal (not that the former is super common, but whatever). The 60D isn't as weatherproofed as its more expensive brethren/predecessor are, but I've taken the camera to three different continents, and used it extensively for months-long work contracts, and it still looks and performs like it did in 2011.

I would even go so far as to recommend that you go cheaper with your mom's camera. Either get her a T3i/T4i (I think this thread has made it pretty clear by now that you shouldn't spend a premium on the insult that is the T5i "upgrade") or give her your 30D (after buying yourself some new hotness) to learn on before buying her whatever the hot new Rebel is in a few years (it will probably be more capable than the 60D) when her trip is actually going to happen. Given what you've mentioned about her, the 60D's benefits over the Rebels would probably go right over her head and be meaningless to her right now. Those features aside, the 60D and T3i are basically the same camera minus some extra weather sealing in the 60D.

Take the extra money you'd spend on a 60D and buy her some digital photography classes at your local art school/college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

How many classes can you get for $100? The 60D has come down in price a lot.

Good point. You could probably get a couple of adult-ed weekend classes for that much. There's a photography store near my parents' house in CT that holds 4-hour beginner/intermediate/advanced "how to use your camera" courses and camera walks with local pro photographers for like $30 a pop. The public library in town also has Saturday photography classes as part of their "adult enrichment" curriculum every summer for ~$250/12 weeks. It's certainly not the same as a semester of night classes in composition at your local art school or university, but it's something.

I'm going to retract and modify my earlier statement:

HookShot, if your mom isn't going to the Galapagos for, as you put it, "a couple years" then I don't think it makes sense for you to buy her a new camera now. It also doesn't make sense for you to buy her a mid-tier prosumer camera when it's clear that she can barely wrap her head around using the features in a point-'n-shoot.

For reference:

HookShot posted:

She recently (like as in this past year) learned how to use a digital camera for the first time after years of using film. Her current "method" is to take one picture of whatever she takes a picture of (landscapes or her garden) with every single one of the settings on her P&S, and then keep whatever one looks the best.

It also definitely doesn't make sense for you to buy her a mid-tier prosumer camera that is almost twothree years old at this point. By the time her trip rolls around, there will probably be Rebels on the market that can run circles around the 60D for $600. And this is assuming that she can even use the drat thing by then and didn't get intimidated into giving up by all of the complicated stuff.

HookShot posted:

I'm just not sure if I should get her the 60D or the 7D.... but I just don't know if it's too much and the 60D would be fine for someone like her.

They're both too much for her right now. Hell, a T2i is probably too much for her right now.

Give her your 30D or buy her a similarly old DSLR for ~$250. Take the rest of the money that you would've spent on a new camera and put it toward some kind of digital photography education. Buy her a new camera when (a) her skills improve enough to make it worthwhile (b) her trip is actually going to happen. Get yourself something nice to replace the 30D (if you were considering giving a 7D as a birthday present, then I'm sure you'll be able to afford a good camera for yourself now and a good one for Mom in the future).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 12, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

HookShot posted:

The thing is, I think the reason she doesn't understand her point and shoot is the fact that they're all automatic settings. She's been shooting film regularly for years, has a perfect understanding of aperture/ISO/shutter speed and all that stuff, and I'm certain that 99% of the learning curve is just going to be learning to change everything in a digital format instead of doing it with film, as well as the new mystical technology of autofocus. Her current P&S just doesn't allow her to do any manual settings, hence the playing around with all the settings it does have.

This would have been awesome to know from the beginning. It completely changes my perspective and response. From the way you had presented the scenario the first time, it seemed to me like your mom didn't really know how to use anything more complicated than a simple rangefinder. Now it seems like she'd be right at home with a good SLR, just as long as it wasn't digital. That's a totally different kettle of fish dude.

If the whole issue is shifting her from film into digital, then there are a ton of inexpensive resources that are ideal for her. The camera shop I mentioned in an earlier post has a $30 course specifically geared toward getting proficient film shooters comfortable with their new dSLRs. Ask any decent camera shop around and they should be able to point you toward some kind of resource. If they've been around for more than a decade and a half, then the mass exodus of old people from film to digital has been an important part of their business history. There are also a lot of books out there for this purpose.

I'm not totally sure if this voids my old suggestion or not. On the one hand, I think that the whole 'film-->digital' hump is tiny compared to understanding the mechanics of photography and your mom would probably be fine with a new dSLR in a few weeks or months. If that's the case, then maybe- why not get her a 60D or 7D now? It sounds like she'd milk the features over something like a Rebel once she figured out where they were. She'll be able to have fun shooting for the next few years and be totally comfortable with the camera when she goes to the Galapagos. As for which of the two, the 60D is probably more than fine. It's probably going to be replaced with a 70D soon, so I'd maybe wait until then to either get the new model or get the old model for less money. In fact, you could get two 60Ds for (quite) roughly the price of one 7D, depending on the kit lens situation. You know, that's not a bad upgrade from a 30D either....

On the other hand, her trip is still in a few years. The 30D might be fine for her at this moment as an introduction to the perks of digital.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 13, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bobfather posted:

I do think it's about twice as expensive as it needs to be, but Canon needs to make back that R&D money somehow!

Canon spent all of their T5i development money on this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

um excuse me posted:

I'm surprised that, unlike guns, you don't have removable hand grips. It would add a huge market for customization and personalizing a product to connect to a brand more. I vinyl wrap my lens hood once a year or so in different stuff to keep it interesting.

Yup, camera people should definitely be more like gun people...........to be fair, the industry would probably have a lot more money if they were.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I was pretty dead set on switching to Sony at some point (lol virus, gonna now shoot my 60D til I die) but then I actually used an a6500 and A72 and found them so physically uncomfortable to use it soured me. I think the industrial design is great (though worse in person, esp on the APSC cameras) but it’s so ergonomically bullshit.

I won’t be getting an R5 or R6 any time soon but it’s nice to imagine that i hypothetically could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Perhaps. So it is good time to buy stuff as a hobbyist who has even an RTX 3080 and stuff and nothing else to do with the money since travel etc are off limits :shrug:

donate it to goonfund, people are literally being saved from eviction and poo poo