Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I just got the EF-S 15-85mm as an "upgrade" to my kit lens and this thing is thicc! It's the most expensive lens I own now and it's definitely the heaviest. I got it fairly cheap but it's in really nice condition save for a few dust spots behind the frontmost lens. I've only been able to play with it inside so far because the weather is awful this week, but I'm already surprised how much different those extra 3mm on the wide end make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

xzzy posted:

As a former 80D owner, it's a pretty good camera if you stay within its comfort zone. The only issue I had with it was trying to do action, it's ability to lock on a target is not great. I did a lot of motorsport panning with it and got pretty frustrated. Wildlife was even worse.

I'm currently using the 80D for most birds and everyday snapshots and I haven't had any problems with it, though I did upgrade from a T5i (well, Kiss X7i :japan:) so it's not like I know any better. v:v:v

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Tell me thread, do I actually want an R10?

I currently have an 80D which I've been using for a few months and while I'm happy with it most of the time, I am tempted by the sorcery of all the 'detection' AF modes and 15fps drive. I like to shoot birds, landscapes and occasionally entry-level motorsports for my friends, so the upgrades could actually be quite useful for me. What I'm most worried about is switching to an EVF, and secondarily the battery life though I guess I can just get spares. I've played with the R10 a few times in showrooms and while the size and lack of buttons put me off at first, it's beginning to grow on me.

For reference, I'd be buying body only and adapting my EF lenses (24mm STM, 50mm STM, 15-85mm USM, Sigma 100-400 C) and selling off my 80D to offset some of the cost. I've looked at the R7 as well, but I can't quite justify the extra cost and I'm not too bothered about the 2nd card slot or 32~MP as features.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

If you shoot moving subjects like birds and races, the mirrorless line is a huge jump in auto focus capabilities. It feels like cheating.

That's what I'm hoping for! I've mostly got the 80D down but it can still take some persuasion to find and stay on the right target.

gschmidl posted:

I was so "scared" of the battery life of my R6 when I took it to Norway for aurora photos that I brought two extra batteries and two power banks just in case.

I didn't even use half a battery the entire 5 days.

The official shot ratings on the mirrorless models feel ridiculously low so it's nice to hear that they can last much longer in real life.

xzzy posted:

The R10 is a extremely good body, and with the way canon is dividing up their body line the differences from the R7 are very nitpicky. I feel like they've overdone it with their options but they get to make the call, not me.

The R7 has 8 more MP, one more stop of dynamic range, a faster mechanical shutter, IBIS, a bigger buffer, and a beefier battery.

If none of that matters to you the R10 is the superior choice because you save a wad of cash.

As far as the sensor/image output of the 80D goes, I'm very much satisfied so if I could get that same kind of sensor in a body that can push a little further on burst and AF, that would be fantastic and that sounds like what the R10 is. The beefier battery is a little tempting but I'm sure I could live with the R10 with an extra battery or two.

Thanks thread, looks like I've made up my mind. Now to see how my September bonus shapes up... :sweatdrop:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

September bonus came in good, I bought the R7 and I bloody love it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

It feels like cheating.

I went out on my break today with my 100-400 to catch some birbs and planes, and yep, this is definitely cheating. I love it!

xzzy posted:

I got one for my wife because she's gotten interested in photography and it'd be a good backup for me. Love the size of it but I despise where they put the scroll wheel on the back. I don't know why they have to reinvent the controls for every single camera but putting the wheel where it is on the R5 would have been way more comfortable. I do love where they put the power switch though, way better than the R5. And thank god the 'rate' button is gone. Most useless button in Canon history.

I have noticed the shutter is way noisier than the R5. It sounds like someone digging around for a pen.

That said it's the best prosumer crop camera I've ever held. It's light, the subject tracking is a huge improvement, and it uses the same lenses.

I was weirded out by the scroll wheel position at first, but the more I use it, the more I like it! And yeah, it's not the most pleasant sounding shutter. I sorta miss the gentle thwack of the 80D but at least it's a lot quieter.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

And today I took the R7 out for a proper run around down by the river and now it's pissing me off.

I got some absolutely fantastic pictures... of the sand behind the birds I was trying to photograph. :argh:

This is pretty ridiculous. These kind of shots should be super easy?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sorry, I should have mentioned. The camera appeared to have the birds properly locked on, sometimes even on the eyes, but the actual focus was behind or sometimes in front.

I didn't even notice most of the focus issues until I went back to check the photos later. Hence the frustration.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sigma 100-400mm Contemporary

I know the 150-600 had issues but I was lead to believe 100-400 should work fine.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

What adapter as well? Long lenses more often have back and front focus issues, especially third party, and especially especially on an RF adapter.

I would do some manual focus testing with focus peaking on at 10x zoom and check to make sure you’re not having front and back focus problems with that setup.
It's the genuine Canon adapter, so no problems there.

I'll have to try the manual focus testing tomorrow. I hope you're on the money, because I'm literally losing sleep over this darn camera now.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I have had at least a few completely missed shots where the R7 + RF 70-200 2.8 (and RF 100-400) focused on the background behind the subject when a) subject detection put a square directly over the blurry subject I was pointing at, servo marked it as locked, and it started taking shots as if it were in focus and then b) pressing back button single shot focus where the point displayed on the screen was completely inside of the blurry subject yet the camera continued to focus on the background and act as though it had autofocused successfully

Yes, this is exactly what it's doing! Nice to know it's not my lens and it's not me going crazy.

I played around with it more today and setting to single point/single shot does help a lot. It's a shame that the detection/tracking is so unreliable seeing as that's the entire reason I bought it, but oh well, it's a learning curve I guess?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I was a little skeptical of the EVFs before I bought my R7, but in high FPS mode with Assist mode turned on, it's really not even that different from looking through an OVF. :shrug:

I also have the DOF button set to switch between Assist and Exp. Simulation so I can easily use both.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I was fairly skeptical that a change of lens could affect the focusing performance of a camera so much, but I am very glad to be proved wrong.

I sold my Sigma and picked up the RF 100-400 and this is pretty incredible. With animal detection tracking AF, I've gone from hitting maybe half the time if I'm lucky, to over 90% hits. Almost the exact same birds in the exact same places too, so a pretty fair test. If you start to peek in a little, I think it's not quite as sharp at full zoom? But it's nailing the focus and at half the weight, I find it very difficult to complain for the price. Going from a near 2kg kit to 1.2ish for the R7 and RF feels fantastic. The control ring is a real nice bonus too, very good invention that.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

echinopsis posted:

what was the sigma?

It was the 100-400mm C, so pretty much a straight swap length for length.

echinopsis posted:

I somewhat enjoy the heavy 135mm sigma .. makes me feel powerful

I wouldn't mind a nice chucky Art lens for arty shots, that would be sick. I'm mainly having this hang around my neck while I cycle around looking for neat birds though, so it's nice to have less weight there.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The 200-800 looks pretty darn cool. I won't ever be able to afford it, but still cool. (Darn weak yen... :japan: )

(319,000yen ~feels like~ $3190)

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 2, 2023

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I used it once and it was kind of a pain to work with the burst on my slightly aging computer. It would have been fine if DPP just let me dump every frame, but nope, gotta select individually.

I think the major draw is the pre-burst function
which is absolutely magical, yes. You do tend to get hit with the BUSY though, so you better hope you get it in one take.

Personally, I'm good with regular burst.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

echinopsis posted:

this lens almost seems like it has a weak black mist filter on it.

That sounds like it would make for a pretty sick portrait lens on crop. :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

As an early Christmas present to myself, I got the RF 28mm pancake yesterday to replace my EF-S 24mm and it's actually pretty impressive despite the underwhelming front element. It looks like it's keeping up with the R7's sensor almost corner-to-corner at wide open too which is impressive enough for any lens.

I truly loved the 24mm on my 80D and I'll probably keep it a little while longer, but putting it on the chonky EF-RF adapter somewhat ruins the novelty of a pancake lens. The RF pancake loses a few cm in min. focus distance, but I'm sure I can bare to deal with it. I think if Canon ever brought out an RF-S analogous to the old 15-85mm I'd happily sell my adapter and move on.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Finally got out for a little walkaround with my new old EF 85mm 1.8 today and wow, disconcerting 1992 sounds aside, I can definitely see why Canon never bothered updating this thing.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

i am kiss u now posted:

So, I’ve started to think about getting back into just some hobby photography again, as my girlfriend is also expressing some interest as well, and my current body is a Canon EOS 60D, and a range of entry-mid level lenses (including several “red-rings.”). My question is, what is sort of the modern equivalent of the 60D in APS-C? I’d be looking to replace the body only, and ideally under $1000.

60D is still a great body but I’m in a position where I can upgrade to something more contemporary. I like shiny, new (or even slightly used) things.

In that price range you're looking at the R10, which by all accounts is an excellent camera for the price if a little on the small side. Get the body and the EF-RF adapter and you're good to go.

One step up is the R7 which adds IBIS, weather sealing, an extra SD card slot and the LP-E6 batteries. Which are nice features if you want to stretch for it, but the ~33MP sensor will eat cheap lenses for breakfast.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 22, 2024

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Awww yiss, first two waves of Sigma RF lenses confirmed and it includes the entire F1.4 DC suite.

It looks like they're going the Nikon Z route and only letting them license APS-C lenses so far though.

Some stupid rumors site posted:

Launching in July, 2024

- SIGMA 18-50mm F2.8 DC DN | Contemporary

Launching in Q4 of 2024

- SIGMA 10-18mm F2.8 DC DN | Contemporary
- SIGMA 16mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary
- SIGMA 23mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary
- SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary
- SIGMA 56mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary

Also 1 confirmed from Tamron. Again, APS-C only so far.
"11-20mm F/2.8 Di III-A RXD"

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 23, 2024

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Very cool lineup for the R7 though and the crop line was what was lacking the most for Canon mirrorless.

Yup, I understand the disappointment for FF users, but as an R7 owner I’ve been hoping on something like this for RF-S.

Hopefully it’s not an APS-C only deal though as next on my wishlist is one of those zoomy long boys.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well it didn't take long for Sigma to throw Canon completely under the bus.

"No more waiting." :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yeah, I assume it was designed with Sony 24MP in mind but it appears to be able to keep up with Fuji 40MP without much degradation.

Sony E Mount
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymx2Lx5A22U

Fuji X Mount
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHYuznfaf5c

It looks like there are a few weird spots in the formula where the old 17-55 might be doing better ~on paper~, but overall it looks pretty good and the weight reduction would be worth it alone.

Same tests with 17-55 on R7 for comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMVs9ndRe74

Philthy posted:

You will not be disappointed with the RF 100-400 on the R7. It's a must own in my book.
Oh I love that lens, for sure! There's just those times where I occasionally feel like I need a tiny bit more reach... before I remember how heavy 600s are and forget about it again, because the lightness is my most favorite thing about the RF 100-400.