Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Even though my 60D is plastic :ohdear: I've dropped the dumb thing more times than I should have and it still runs like a champ. Whatev.

Edit: also, my 50mm works just fine after my dog stopped chewing on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Did you accidentally dial down your exposure compensation if you're shooting Av?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Platystemon posted:

You should pick up a 100 mm macro either way eventually because it’s fantastic.

I agree with this and I haven't even taken a single macro photo yet. It's sharp and focuses fast.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

It seems to be a love/hate thing with people. I'm in the love camp. It feels natural and intuitive. Also, the whole "dust pumper" reputation has got to be some rumour Nikon started. I've used mine for years now and if there's dust in there it certainly doesn't show in the image.

Buying the lens, using it for the trip, and then selling it used is probably the same cost as renting it for the trip. 100-400 is a pretty useful range if you don't already have glass to cover that distance. You might find yourself hanging on to it.

I love my 100-400 and after like 3 hours of fooling around with the tensioner, I love the push-pull.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ShotgunWillie posted:

Does the 100-400L hold up to the other two in terms of quality? I understand it to be an older lens and I am unsure about the push/pull.

I love my 100-400L. Actually, that lens is the only reason I keep my DSLR around anymore. It's not bad at all wide open and stopped down just a third to f/6.3 it is tack sharp and great.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Y'all are fuckin weird man.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm split right now. My 60D's AF makes me want to smash it and light it on fire. I can't decide if I should look into grabbing a lightly used 7D, a new 70D or just giving up and going with a whole new system in the OMD.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I absolutely love my 100-400L except for when I'm hiking a couple hours back. At that point I really wish I had the 400L prime instead. It is a lot lighter.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

KEH has EX-quality used units for $430 right now, it'll be basically indistinguishable from new (their grading is very conservative) and all their used gear comes with a 6-month warranty that I have used successfully in the past. Their site is making GBS threads a major brick today though, more than usual even.

Yeah, KEH is having a pretty solid (for them) discount on a lot of stuff, so their website is a dog. I think if there is ever more than like, 15 people browsing at once the hamsters in back get overloaded.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

No, don't release it yet! I've just dragged my bank account down paying for a new car and can't afford it until they pay me the 13th month.

Where do you live that they have 13 or more months in a year? :psyduck:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Opinions on the 28mm f/1.8? I've only got the kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 and I'm looking to add another to the collection. I was trying to decide between the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the Canon 30mm f/2 but then I saw good reviews for the 28mm 1.8 and I was wondering if it would be worth the extra $100 or so I'd toss on it instead.

Actually, let me just add some more information. I'm mostly interested in urbex photography and studio photography, and trying to build in that direction. Any advice would be well appreciated as I'm still largely a neophyte.

Get one of the t/s lenses. They own so hard :snoop:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

800peepee51doodoo posted:

lol at the 70-200 being considered huge

I just bought this monstrosity a little bit ago:

Bird photography is a helluva drug

Oh my god, this is why I said gently caress it, and sold all my Canon gear off. I knew sooner or later, if I kept going the way I was going, I'd be spending more on lenses than on cars.

(I still get the itch to buy stuff for birding :ohdear:)

Edit: Oh man it's only 7k :negative:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

TheMirage posted:

So now it looks like the 70d has come down another $100 in price new. So I was considering the 18-55 kit lens. If I do could I still justify the pancake even though it's prime?

I don't think I could do the sigma 30 at this point, it bumps the price up just enough for me to hesitate.

I guess the problem with the kit is its maximum 3.5, but the stm would probably be quiet than the sigma for video.

70D has decent enough high-ISO performance f/3.5 isn't that limiting.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

rcman50166 posted:

Don't know about you guys, but I rarely find the 400 f/5.6 an appropriate lens to bring with me. I either always think I'm bringing too much if I have it or that I probably won't use it anyways. I basically have to plan trips just to use the lens.

That's how I felt about the 100-400 too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The 7D has faster AF, so acquisition of a sharp image is quicker. It has no real bearing on image quality alone.