Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

fivre posted:

The Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS? It's apparently decent and within your price range if you get it used.

I'd recommend this lens to anyone. Very good IQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

efcso posted:

When I got back into digital photography using my own gear, I went to the camera shop and had a bit of a play with the Nikon and Canon offerings. For me, it was the same thing - the Canon sat better in my hands, so I picked it over the Nikon. One of my mates did the same thing and went to the dark side. It really can be that simple.

To me the Nikon stuff has always seemed "backwards" -- the way everything turns is the wrong way, from zooms, to lens back caps, everything. That alone is enough to keep me on the Canon side.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
I'm pretty set on purchasing the Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS to replace my 70-300 f/4-5.6 USM. Is there any reason I should avoid also picking up the 1.4x Extender to go with it? I haven't used one before so any advice in this department is much appreciated. From the chart I linked below it doesn't appear the f/4L IS has any issues with the 1.4x, but I like to make sure beforehand.

And I'm shooting on a 650d. Thanks in advance :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/charts/canon1_4xExtender.html

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Have you thought about the 70-300L? It's a really great lens that people tend to overlook between the 70-200's and the 100-400.

I have thought about it (though only briefly, I didn't even realize it existed until about two days ago). How would image quality stack up against the 70-200 f/4L? The situations where I would be using the longer end (especially if the 1.4x is attached) would be in cloudy conditions at the worst so even f5.6 would be good.

UGAmazing posted:

Sorry in advance for possibly derailing anything.

I've got a 50D that I acquired in a too-good-to-pass-up deal, and I've noticed something strange with the viewfinder. I've noticed that the felt (I believe) material on the inside of the body is visible in my viewfinder at the top. In other words, when looking through the view finder, all four sides aren't hard straight lines, but rather the top side/edge is fuzzy looking from what I assume is the felt in the body. Is this something I can adjust (focus screen?), or is something out of whack? Forgive me, I'm not really familiar with a lot of the proper terms when it comes to the inner workings of the camera body itself (aside from the mirror, sensor, mount, etc).

Thanks in advance for any advice/help! Really great thread.

Is the entire view blurry? There should be a small dial on the side to adjust the clarity of the viewfinder (dioptric adjustment). If that's not it, I dunno then.

mclifford82 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 29, 2013

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

ShutteredIn posted:

Cool. Which ones aren't?

I had some Wasabi ones for my 5d that lasted about a quarter as long as the Canon ones.

I use Photive brand batteries and they destroy the Canon batteries. Like $15 and last half again as long.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Inf posted:

How does this affect the warranty? I know when I got my rebel years ago the shady rear end company that sold it to me pulled this and there was no warranty card. When I complained they told me that I would have to get it "warrantied through them."

As long as the warranty card for the body itself is still present it shouldn't affect it at all. The card being missing is the problem. They held your poo poo hostage.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Can't imagine those 261 that sold were around long at that price.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

bobfather posted:

Factoring in the discounts I got along with the value of the lens, my 5d3 body cost me closer to $2300.

Where?

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Bubbacub posted:

Don't know how reputable this place is (the ad appeared in my gmail sidebar), but this place is selling them for a bit over $2300:

http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42083&gclid=CMCLuY3zhLgCFQik4AodlUgAHg

I had to call them on this one as that's a price I'd jump at if legit. According to their sales rep, that is the import model with no warranty, and he even said it was not made in Japan it was made in Malaysia and was not the same quality. I don't know about that part, but he said their US model with warranty is the normal ~$3200. From the "What's in the Box" -- Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital Camera (Body Only) - IMPORT

All that being said, are these bodies manufactured in two different places, one with higher quality materials than the other? I personally don't care very much about the warranty, but I don't want to buy what essentially sounds like a knock-off, even for $1k less than retail.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

77mm and 82mm center-pinch Canon caps are in stock at Adorama, if you're like me and have been :f5:ing B&H's back-ordered page for the last 2 months.

Pretty sure it's just you. But hey, center pinch!

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

feraltennisprodigy posted:

So I guess I dropped my camera and a piece fell off. The camera still works fine, but does anyone know what the part is called and how I'd go about replacing it? eBay? Canon support?

Lens bezel. On a happier note, I took the plunge today and price matched buy.com at a local Best Buy for a 5D Mark III. I've used it for about thirty minutes and I'm just blown away by it. I'm coming from a T4i, which I am going to keep for the crop and articulating screen (awesome for macro work), and the differences are incredible. The viewfinder is amazingly bright and big (feels like going from SD to HD).

Right now I'm using some 30-40mb/s SD cards. Is there a recommended speed that would be better? I'm noticing scrolling through images can be a bit sluggish. Also, is it worthwhile to get a large and fast CF card? They're stupidly expensive in comparison to SD cards, so I'd like to know before making the investment.

Thanks, now I'm going to go annoy the family dog some more.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

SeaborneClink posted:

Wait you just spent $3k+ on a 5dmk3 and are complaining about $100 for a 64gb CF card. :confused:

Is this like the thing where people whinge about spending $100 on a good cpl for a $1100+ lens?

I don't think I complained about it at all. I simply asked if there was an actual benefit to spending more money on a CF card than the much less expensive SD cards of the same size (which I already own).

Hopefully that helps your confusion. :)

Inf posted:

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience getting data corruption on an SD card?

I've lately had my SD card stop communicating with the camera sometimes but I just eject and reinsert it and it's fine. Haven't had files corrupted fortunately.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

70D is officially announced.

wifi, 7fps, flippy touch screen, 20mp. 19 pt AF, all cross-type, fancy new live-view AF, AMFA.

Looks pretty sweet to me. I sincerely hope they continue to bring the variable angle touch screen LCDs to more bodies, I really do love it on my T4i. Speaking of which, I really am wishing my T4i was a 70D. This seems to be a 6D/7D mix with a crop sensor, feature wise. Minus the GPS which is a bummer but I hear it also eats the battery so eh.

Definitely looking forward to fondling one at a store soon

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

bobfather posted:

I hope we do - it will drive the prices of the 7D even lower! If I can pick up a second-hand 7D for $600, life would sure be grand!

And you only have to wait until a few days ago! Just gotta find the deals:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-7...=item5657813681

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
The one part of my transition to full frame I forgot to account for was a wide angle lens. Does anyone have any opinions on the 16-35 vs the 17-40? I don't really need the 2.8 aperture as this is mostly going to be for landscape work. Or there is also the 24-105 which is pretty similar to the focal range on the 15-85mm EFS it's meant to replace.

Thanks in advance.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
Yeah yeah, I know I know. 24mm TS-E. While I normally have no problem buying gear for no other reason than SHINY GIMME GIMME, for $2k I need an actual reason for the TS part.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Gonna go with the 24-105.

Am I correct that only Canon speedlites are compatible with the additional speedlite controls such as 2nd curtain sync?

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Mightaswell posted:

2nd curtain sync is a body thing and can be turned on regardless of the flash attached. Other features like TTL, HSS, Wireless etc are dependent on the flash. Not necessarily Canon brand, but Canon compatible.

Trying to use a YongNuo 560-II on a 5d3. Looking in the body manual, control for 2nd curtain/high speed sync are in the Flash Function submenu of the External Speedlight Control menu. When I seat the YN speedlite in the hot shoe and try to access the Flash Function submenu, I get the error: "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off." (it's on).

Anyone that has experience with this duo that can help, it'd be greatly appreciated. I've tried several different combinations of settings on the body and the speedlite and no combo allows me to get into the menu to set 2nd curtain sync.

I get similar results on my T4i, although I seem to be able to enable 2nd curtain for the pop up flash, which isn't all that handy. Custom wireless flash settings show an option for 1st/2nd curtain, but it is greyed out.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Erwin posted:

What's the general consensus on the 18-135 lens that you can get bundled with the 70d? If I'm not mistaken, it's the $549 model on Amazon, right? Seems like a nice walk around lens, which is something I don't really have. I have a Sigma 10-20 for the wide end, but nothing decent between that and 50mm, and it's nice to not have to swap lenses if I'm just playing dumb American tourist.

Get the Canon 15-85mm IS USM, it'll kill that lens and it's just about the same price. I'm even selling mine for the same price, but would recommend it regardless.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

rcman50166 posted:

Oh man, post in big bold letters here when those show up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360689884630

There ya go.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Inf posted:

If you add http://www.the-digital-picture.com/ to your news reader you will get daily updates about deals for various camera gear. Not in the market right now, but I like to keep apprised of what the street prices are on various pieces of gear.

Yep, love that feed. I remembered seeing it in there earlier today. I got a 100mm f/2.8L Macro from an eBay seller that feed turned me on to that was new for less than refurb price.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

outcast_p posted:

I have a t3 currently and have been eyeing up the 60d, since it is what I can afford.

Buydig has it for $599, shipped with no tax. Seems like quite a deal. Unless I wait for people to start unloading their's cheap when they get the 70D or a FF camera.

From what I can tell, getting a 60d is worth it over a T4i/T5i. Would that be a correct assumption?

I already have a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and a 70-200 f4L use with it.

It's mainly worth it for the ergonomics if that's what is important to you. Bigger, top LCD, dual control wheels, locking mode wheel. The T5i has the touch LCD and has the video AF, and has all cross-type AF points compared to just the center on the 60D.

I think I'd have to wait and save up for the 70d when that comes out. Not a huge price difference from the T5i (considering it won't be out for a couple months) and has some nice features like wifi, 2 more fps and megapickles, and 19 all crosstype AF points vs 9 on the T5i.

And yes, from an ergonomics perspective, avoid the Rebel series.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

bobfather posted:

That's pretty amazing and makes Canon refurbs an absolute no-brainer, the same way Apple refurbs are.

Yeah I'm pretty stoked about it, especially since the 70-200 f/4 IS I got from the refurb store was bought after June 24, so it got extended to a year of coverage.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
Refurb 7D from adoramacamera on eBay - $875 shipped

Haven't been following the price on this one much but it seems good. Beats the $1200 Canon wants.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370843487352

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
Has anyone run into an issue where, when taking a photo using an external speedlite, the bottom 10% (a horizontal strip) of the frame is extremely underexposed, nearly black?

This only happens to me when I'm using the flash and I'm not sure why. As soon as I power off the flash and take a shot that black strip at the bottom goes away. I just got some lighting gear today and I'm having a blast with it ... except for this issue.

5d3 with 100mm L Macro and YN560-II.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
It's off camera, shutter speed is 1/200 and it doesn't matter where I point the camera. Rephrasing: It's always along the edge parallel to the bottom of the camera. So the right side of portrait orientation shots, bottom of landscape orientation shots.

I've tried with 100mm and the 50mm f/1.8 with the same results.

mclifford82 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 17, 2013

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
Okay thanks guys, I'll play around with it some more to see if I can sync it up properly. I am using YongNuo triggers, so that might be the culprit as you said. Is this something that is avoided when using, say, a Canon speedlite with pocketwizards?

Edit: 1/160 is the sweet spot. Learn something new every day :)

mclifford82 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 17, 2013

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Dren posted:

Pocketwizards would help. I have catcus v5 triggers that sync past 1/1250th so those are good too.

As far as the flash goes you're interested in the t.1 time. http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/06/rise-and-fall-of-machines-understanding.html

Nicer flashes = lower t.1 times
lower power settings on flashes = lower t.1 times

Thanks for the link, interesting read. While we're on the subject of triggers, does anyone have any experience with the Cactus LV5 Laser trigger? Seems like it could have interesting applications.

http://www.amazon.com/Cactus-Laser-Trigger-LV5/dp/B00CFA7ZVK/

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Mr. Despair posted:

Have you looked at the Trigger Trap? It's pretty useful for a lot of stuff from what I hear, and cheaper than a laser trap like that.

I have looked and almost purchaed the TT so many times now, but each time I don't for one reason or another (usually because I don't want to mount my iPhone to my hot shoe all that much). You're right though, it looks badass, especially when you see them demo the smile detection. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 smiles, shoot!

I do need an intervalometer though and it has that built in ...

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
You also get a 15 day no-restocking-fee return policy, which is really nice on expensive rear end camera gear.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

bolind posted:

If I'm jonesing for a 70-200, which one do I buy? Is IS very necessary or can I live without it. My intention is to use it for portraits as well as event photography where I want some distance to the subject. I don't see myself shooting sports or wildlife.

If you're going to be doing indoor events such as weddings a lot, go all in on the f/2.8 IS, otherwise the f/4 IS (the one I have) is stellar as well.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
It nearly takes a crowbar to get the eyecup off my T4i, but it pops off very easily (too easily) on the 5d3. Haven't lost it yet fortunately :D

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did you guys break the releases on your 5D3 eyecup or something? You should have to pinch both sides to get it to slide off. Mine has little give and I have no fears about losing it accidentally.

Mine also takes some pressure to release, but not very much at all. I can certainly see it coming off by getting bumped at the right spot. Pretty much the last thing I worry about though.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

somnambulist posted:

I'm going on an alaskan cruise at the end of august, and im trying to decide what lens to purchase to go along with the 24mm TS-E and 135mm f2.

My budget is in the 1200 range. The 70-300 IS, 100-400 IS, 400mm 5.6, or 300mm f4 IS are in the running.

Thoughts?

I'm assuming here that you're using a full frame body.

Either way I'd actually still suggest the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS. On a Full Frame that, to me, is getting into useful focal range for birds and other decently distant subjects. I used to use a 70-300mm on my T4i and that was amazing range. If I didn't need a wide angle lens so badly I'd probably get this as my next lens as well.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

demonachizer posted:

Do other people not find the push/pull zoom mechanism annoying on the 100-400?

I haven't tried it. I imagine I'll rent it before purchase to try it out. Seems like it'd be easy enough to get used to.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

mdtyson posted:

The idea of built-in wifi and GPS make me extremely happy as does the lighter weight but I dunno y'all...

Those are all pluses on the 6D. What about the 5D3 do you want that the 6D doesn't offer?

It sounds like from what you shoot the 6D would be just fine.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Shellman posted:

Just picked up an off-brand battery grip for my T3i (mostly for the added ergonomics, but throwing an extra battery in it wouldn't be bad). Any recommendations for good replacements for the T3i's batteries (LP-E8s)? Or should I really just shell out the $70 or whatever for an actual canon one?

I've always had great luck with the Photive brand batteries and they're only like $15. Hold charges longer than my Canon one ever did.

http://www.amazon.com/Photive-Origi...e+canon+battery

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

ahmeni posted:

How does the Tamron 90mm 2.8 compare against the Canon 85mm 2.8? I'd like a prime for portraits and I like the idea that they'd be close to what I was used to with the 50mm on crop now that I'm on full frame.

I can't speak to the Tamron 90mm, but the Canon 85 f/1.8 (not 2.8) is absolutely brilliant and a steal for the price.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Bob Mundon posted:

Ended up feeling the 85 was too long for what I need for on a crop, and also wanted the ability to get really close up shots of the kids (and do like to do some casual macro). Instead of the Tamron, liked the idea of having the USM, so went with the Canon 60 2.8. Good call?

Pretty surprised running DOF calculations how it compares at 2.8 to my 30 1.4 wide open, initially thought DOF would be much longer just based off the aperture. Can't imagine how thin an 85 at 1.8 is.

Go look up shots with the 85mm f/1.2L. Words can't express how much I love that lens. When I hit focus :P

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Is this a good deal? I'm thinking it might be a solid use of my tax return.

http://morgantown.craigslist.org/pho/4373137147.html

I think so. I loved my T4i when I first started out.

- The kit lens (18-55mm IS II) is solid, though I don't know what Automatic-Self Adjusting means.
- That 75-300mm isn't the best, but it's good to learn with. A good upgrade for that range would be the 70-300mm USM.
- That flash retails for quite a bit as well, so that's a great get.

I'd perhaps add a 50mm 1.8 into that mix of lenses for portraits and call it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Seamonster posted:

85mm 1.2 for distortion free dick and LITERAL bokeh balls

Well played. Creamy bokeh balls.

Perhaps an odd question regarding that masterpiece of a lens: Does anyone else hate the focusing ring being almost as loose as a Pole Position steering wheel? I'm about ready to slap a rubber band around it to stop it altogether; I already disabled full time manual override via custom function, so it doesn't actually do anything but annoy me when it turns.