Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You gotta be ready to pull the trigger when they pop up though because the in demand lenses are usually gone within hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Won't f/4 start to become "less crap" as performance at high iso continues to improve? Way I see it at the entry level is you can choose either f2.8 OR 400mm, but not both.

But if you can handle f/4 there are a ton of options. They still aren't cheap, but they're within the grasp of an average joe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I go by the 2 lens limit myself. Which lenses I actually bring may change based on what I intend to be pointing my camera at, but I'm pretty good about leaving excess gadgetry behind. It would be even better if I could get it down to one lens and never have to worry about swapping, but since there's no single lens that can cover every situation a second option is a necessary concession.

It's not about bag size either, it's just a question of how much poo poo do I really need on hand to take a picture?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, long focal length landscapes rule. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Tamron 150-600 is back ordered pretty much everywhere.

I was hoping to get one in time for summer but that seems unlikely now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apparently the waitlist is eternity because I've been watching sites since March and nothing has come up. If they are getting lenses in they're selling instantly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have that same spaghetti measuring tool, and it's inaccurate.

The "2" setting is plenty for 3 people.

Also the minimum aperture is kind of ridiculous.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Talked with a lady at borrowlenses, she said that Tamron just put out an update that the 150-600 production is so lagged that no one will be getting any deliveries before October.

Jerkfaces, I just want my super telephoto sniper rifle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cleaning the sensor is one of those things that's only scary the first time. I do basically what this site suggests:

http://www.howtogeek.com/162413/how-to-cheaply-and-safely-clean-your-cameras-dslr-sensor/

You might be able to get away with only needing the air blaster to blow dust away.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This further proves my conviction that as long as you ignore the politicians, Alaska is the best place on earth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why you blow the bristles with an air blaster after every single pass. This both cleans the brush out and builds a new static charge.

That said I don't think they're super effective, just blasting the sensor and swabbing with cleaning solution seem to do a better job.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I prefer to think of it as a state of the art sensor for today, and four years ago it was so advanced as to be from the future.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm totally going to invent the COMPLETELY CLEAR PIECE OF GLASS front element protector. And sell a billion of them at $50 a pop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway over the weekend, and one thing that's getting oddly common is people walking around with a GoPro on the end of a pole. It appears to have become the primary camera for a noticeable number of people, they jam that pole where something interesting is happening and hope for the best I guess.

I can't imagine the results are any good, but at least it's not smartphone video recorded in portrait orientation I guess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Hahahahaha you'll never loving ever notice the difference.

But what if I absolutely must print at 18x12. I require those pixels because I refuse to go below 300 DPI. :qq:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That 50mm 1.8 sure is a solid piece of gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV8fqd27444&t=204s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slim Killington posted:

I've given that lens out to probably two hundred students and interns over years and one has never come apart. And students are notorious for breaking things. Somebody mistreated that one, or the whole thing is horseshit.

It's digitalrev, horseshit is kind of their schtick.

I just thought a video of the front element falling out of the lens was hilarious. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

Do you need 53 mega-pickles for studio work, unless you plan to print it out on the side of a building?

(serious question)

No, but you could sell every lens you own and weld the pancake 40mm to the front of it. Need to zoom in? Just crop down to 15 pickles and you're gold. :whatup:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

To be fair that's chump change for a physics/astronomy experiment.

An example:

https://www.darkenergysurvey.org/DECam/DECam_add_tech.shtml

Custom built 570 megapixel camera.. 62 individual sensors. Each sensor ran about $50k each. They produce enough data it takes 18 hours at 37MB/s to transfer a night of observations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This conversation has me carrying all my Canon gear out to the dumpster and tossing it. It's Nikon from here on out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Scientists are allowed to be wrong, it's part of the job and is why they peer review stuff. :colbert:

Of course that requires the ability to shut up and self reflect a little bit but one thing at a time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't speak too loudly, you don't want Canon to hear and motivate them to rebrand all their lines under the assumption the boost in sales they need will come from youthful and trendy marketing.

Do you really want a hashtag on your camera body?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My suspicion is the trick to photographing racing cars at night is finding a spot with floodlights hitting the car, or get a body with excellent performance at high ISO. Probably a mixture of both.

If you can get close enough to fill the frame with a 50mm that's fine too, but I sure as poo poo wouldn't want to be that close to a vehicle moving at speed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Upside is if a fight breaks out you'll have a club to defend yourself with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All in ones mean they'll not excel at anything.

Get a good wide angle, something else to fill in the middle range, then take out a loan for a kickass 300mm+ telephoto.

All manufacturers have pretty good options somewhere in the 35-200mm range so it's really a question of deciding how much you want to spend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My essay bitching about low light performance is getting close to done, should be good for release on launch day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waiting for an intern to step through that glass door backwards carrying a heavy box, and knocking the whole table over.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm glad the event that spreads zika to the entire planet is going to be well documented using the best photography gear humanity can produce. Archaeologists in 500 years will be glad to know how it played out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They have the prettiest red rings around their lenses, therefore they're the best. I stand by my statement.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mediocre announcement gets mediocre response? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess the anticipation now is that they announce a new 7d next year and it's actually a cool upgrade.

Though it'll probably be another ".5" given Canon is iterating faster than they used to.

Just depends what they put in that .5.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If they're short on ideas I got one they can try out: get a sensor that's worth a drat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

But can I get a lens that matches the color of the body, Canon?

See this is where canon screwed up, they should have made a desert camo rebel so sales of their L series lenses would skyrocket due to the matching color. The tacticool crowd is thoroughly untapped.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think someone needs to go dig up the digitalrev pro with a cheap camera series to demonstrate how the gear doesn't define the talent.

You certainly want quality tools that make your job easier but they won't make you a pro.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

10 is comically wide though, even on a crop.

When I got my 10-22 I felt like I had to shoot EVERYTHING with it and after a while I drifted back towards my 18-55 because I rarely went below 18 mm anyways and it meant fewer lens swaps.

10mm is good for two things: standing at the foot of a mountain and getting it all in frame or foreground objects that are 2 feet away.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

You say it like it's a bad thing... I've mostly moved to full frame but drat i still have fun with my Sigma 8-16.

No, it's not bad and I still carry the lens everywhere because sometimes you gotta get everything in frame. It just didn't provide as much benefit as I went into it thinking I'd get.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah that's a collection that should suit you well.

You won't get any eye popping closeups of bears slapping fish out of the water at 200mm, but that never happens anyways unless you're actively seeking that shot and can rent a longer lens for those situations as they come up.

Consider some ND filters too, they're a lot of fun with nature scenes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

10mm is fun to have available, but if one is in a situation where weight and convenience is a factor, 17mm is plenty.

If you really want to go that wide, use your phone. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Photographic ND filters are not sufficient for pointing at the sun, especially at longer focal lengths. Most of them don't block UV and the sun spits out a ton of UV energy. If you want to take pictures of the eclipse you'll want something intended for astronomers.

Everyone's favorite ND filter is the big stopper types.. looks like a black piece of glass and it's what people use to get those silky smooth shots of waterfalls. But if you want to do sunsets and the like you'll want graduated filters, which I got no useful advice about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

timrenzi574 posted:

Canon actually published an education page for the upcoming eclipse - it's here
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2017/eclipse.shtml

drat, that grid of the disk size at various focal lengths is awesome. I kept meaning to take my camera into the back yard and figure it out on my own, but now I don't have to!

:effort: