Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

So how does this work with a 10/12 bit display? Does the "Deep Color" option work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

1st AD posted:

The point to having 14 bit raw is that you'll have a lot more latitude to grade your image - your output is probably going to end up as a lossy 8-bit h264 web video anyways but you'll have finer control over white balance, color, and exposure.

drat. I just want to see some deep color content. It gives the video depth. Would have been nice to test it out.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

1st AD posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "deep color."

I doubt the image looks any better or has more depth if I have a 14-bit display.

Here's a raw DNG frame from straight off the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (converted to TIFF in Photoshop):

Blackmagic Cinema Camera_1_2013-03-06_1629_C0000_000106 by chazaraz, on Flickr

edit: welp it looks like there's no way to get the raw onto flickr without squashing it down to 8-bits.
That's Sony's word for their 12 bit and up displays.