Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For two hundred bucks for the body off Ebay I would've gone for it myself, but here's how I convinced myself not to: The IQ isn't any better than my old 550D, and although it's nice and small, by the time you attach your EF/EF-S lenses, the overall weight/size saving really insignificant over a normal body:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"Cheaper in the EU" just sounds so weird. Anyway, shouldn't it be possible to get a VAT-less price on the exporting side, or at least get it refunded? You're not really supposed to pay that poo poo twice. Also, in my experience Chinese/HK vendors can be quite flexible in how they value the goods, so that's another option.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yup, I was surprised with how good the IS kit lens is. It isn't going to blow you away but it is really nice for the price you can find them for. I think we found some for $50 or so used .. pretty good deal!

The IS kit lens is really pretty decent if you consider that a worthwhile upgrade like the Tamron 17-50 is like 300 bucks even used.

Speaking of lenses, holy poo poo! Tamron also have the new 70-200 2.8 out with USM and IS, while the old one is now like $700. Luckily I probably won't have many opportunities to do serious photography in the near future so my bank account can chill out for a while.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A few months ago I got to use a friends speedlite, but I never got it to fire. Thought it might be the flash as the contacts on the camera appeared to be fine and it was detecting the flash properly (internal one won't pop up, external flash menu worked). But now I my own Yongnuo arrived and it doesn't work either. In the menu it says "incompatible flash" or something, but it's probably just because it's manual.

The only explanation I can think of is that a while ago the camera fell out of my bag from around knee height and that might've hosed up something inside since there's no visible damage on it anywhere. Is there any way to open that part of the camera to see if anything's broken? It's a 550D (maybe I should just buy a 5D already).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure about that strategy of theirs - what's the point of trying to recoup what's basically a sunk cost while letting your competitors run circles around you, not only costing immediate sales but associating the brand with lovely outdated tech?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So how bad is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II?

I'm looking for a tele lens to take on a vacation to shoot some elephants and penguins and what not that are too far away for 50mm. Under different circumstances I'd probably get a used 70-200 f/4 but I want something as light and cheap as possible as I'd be traveling a lot in some sketchy areas.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not in the US, unfortunately. The STM is like $300 here while I can get a used mk2 for about $120. I'm actually going to be in Hong Kong where I saw new ones for sale at almost the same price but I'll only get there at the end of the trip which is pretty useless.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, seems like it's pretty decent and a good value. I still have some time so maybe a used STM will pop up somewhere.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks everyone. I might actually be legitimately shooting penguins as I'll be in South Africa, hence also the paranoia :v:

I had no idea about their habits, but in any case I don't want to drag around several grand and kilos of equipment - if it's too dark for 5.6 (which TBH felt slow even on the kit 18-55mm) then so be it, it's just vacation, not a paid gig.

But these samples look good enough for the price an my purposes, and really 5.6 isn't that much worse than 4.0 anyway which is the best I could realistically get. I did get to shoot with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS in a zoo once and that was pretty badass.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just got the two LP-E8 batteries i ordered from ebay for an upcoming trip. I had no-name brand ones before and was perfectly happy with the 20/80 nature of them. However these cost a bit more as they were supposedly the real deal, but they clearly look and feel different IRL.

Text a bit lighter and maybe blurrier:

Completely different label on the back:

No holes:

Could this be down to the 6-year difference and EU vs Asian market perhaps, or are they just fake?

Also the one on the left is my original battery from the 550D kit. I didn't keep it in the little tray and something got into the contacts and corroded them so it doesn't charge any more. Has anyone tried opening one up?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My experience so far was that the mystery batteries had about 80% of the capacity at 20% of the cost, if not less. The previous one still works fine, I just wanted a couple more for a trip where I might not be able to charge them easily. I'd be perfectly happy if the seller provides some sort of a discount or partial refund, but even if not it's no big deal.

I also just received a used 55-250mm IS II that we talked about before. I had to dig through some ancient classifieds but managed to find one for 90 bucks which is like 50% less than most seem to sell for around here. Then of course I immediately got a lens error message after taking my first shot with it, but it turned out to be just dirty contacts and it works perfectly fine since cleaning them. Looks brand new otherwise, and came with an UV filter of course.

It actually feels reasonably nice for the price, and f/5.6 isn't so terrible when the best I could hope for realistically at that range would be f/4. Plus it has IS and is pretty light and compact. I'll need to take some more shots but really it seems that it's as good of a deal as it appeared.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like the Mk3 could drop to under $1k used once the new one hits the streets which makes it quite tempting, as this is almost down to what I paid for my 550D kit years ago. Though I'd need to buy full-frame lenses... Anyway, even though I have no way to justify getting a Mk4, I still can't help but feel disappointed. It's a huge step forward in many areas including DR but somehow still misses the mark compared to a lot of the competition.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I also doubt full frame would make my photos any better than my trusty 550D but if I knew 6D Mk2 II existed I probably would've given in and bought it when I was in Hong Kong last week. It's literally half the price it sells locally ($1.3 vs $2.5k, wtf are they smoking). I mean I did pay almost a grand for the rebel with the kit lens...

I did, however, buy a 70-200mm f/4 L which is super awesome but I already kind of wish it was 2.8 at the same size and price. And had IS. But now that I do have a EF lens, I might as well upgrade to a full frame body.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

harperdc posted:

That’s not EF, that’s L pricing. And in any case it usually holds the value well.

Case in point.

The L stuff is... yeah. The 70-200 f/4 L is pretty reasonable I think but then it goes way bonkers. How can the $100 kit lens have IS but getting IS in this one doubles the price? Not to mention the f/2.8.

But this only applies to hobby shooting of course, it's hard to justify these prices when the glass would be just sitting on the shelf 99% of the time. For pro use it's all fairly reasonable.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Trip report with the 70-200 f/4.

Lens very good.

550D autofocus, not so much :negative:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Probably just mad it couldn't stuff all three in its beak. Two were doable though!

President Beep posted:

That first one is definitely a keeper.

Also, it’s always encouraging to see someone getting good pics out of a Rebel—it gives me hope!
Yeah I got a few good shots, but frustratingly none in flight. It's certainly not a controversial opinion to say that glass is more important than the body, to a point, but it does lower your hit rate and requires more time and workarounds to get the shots.

Soulex posted:

Might have been your AI Focus settings. Looks like single shot.
Might be in some of these, but I was definitely trying Ai/Servo too. Mostly I think I was either not getting the subject in one of the few focus points, AF being too slow, or just misfocusing. I'm sure it could do better with some practice, I don't shoot birds very often normally.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lighting and composition are by far the most important factors IMO, and improving those only costs time.

On the other hand, the L lenses are niiiice :v:

mrlego posted:

What was you shutter speed for the last photo?
Looks like imgur strips out EXIF data (and also makes jpegs look like poo poo). But it's 1/400. That was one of the first photos actually, and most others are around 1/1000.

President Beep posted:

Did you get the IS version?
Nope. It'd make a big difference, particularly because f/4 isn't super fast (IS does wonders on the 50-250mm), but it's also almost double the price and very difficult to justify for an occasional hobby photographer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Seamonster posted:

Posted on SA before but if I can bird with a 60D and a 40mm pancake...

Seamonster posted:

It was on the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. I just got it out at arms length straight upwards. Red AF confirm in the VF is still visible so there you go :effort:

:colbert:

17-50, f/10 and be there.

Anyway, pretty opportunistic about shooting birds, the last set I just happened to walk past some guy feeding them grapes in the park, and this was pretty random too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Seamonster posted:

rebel scum
At the zoo last week, all those plebs with non-L glass :barf:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is it feasible to find a 6D II in the US for around a $1k, whether used, refurbished, fallen off a truck etc? I quite regret not picking one up in HK where it's like $1.1 new for the body. Yeah the dynamic range is not what it should be on FF but whatever, for the price I'd deal with it. I think I paid like $800 for my 550D kit back then :(

E: gently caress me it's on ebay (as grey import I imagine) shipping from the EU for 1200. I probably would've bought it for this upcoming trip if I thought to check it earlier.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 24, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Certainly not as much of an upgrade as everyone hoped, especially in terms of sensor DR and video, but still. It has a bunch of stuff I think I would like - flippy screen, dual pixel AF, GPS/WiFi, and since the Mk 1 seem to cost about $1k too, I'd rather not get a 5 year old model for almost the same price. Of course I don't really need that either, and could probably ride my 550D for a few more years until it falls apart instead.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ilkhan posted:

Starting to think about what I want to do with this RP and a Yellowstone trip seems to be in the cards for .. well, some point this year.

How much reach do you really want/need for a trip like that? We'll probably make it back at some point, but it certainly would be a ways out in the future for a return trip and we'll want to make the most of it. Renting a 100-400 and an extender be about right? Or would that be overkill?

I was there last September, it got uncomfortably cold to sleep in a tent (at least for my indoor rear end) but the days were beautiful and not too crowded. 100-400 with an extender should be fine, I got by with a 70-200 and an APS-C crop but more reach would've been useful on a few occasions. As always with wildlife you can't just tell the animals to move closer for a better shot.

Buffalo were just walking along the road

But this one was across the river and that's the closest I got with the 200.

How are you liking the RP? Canon apparently really likes to torture me by making cameras that are almost, but not exactly what I want. I've been shooting the 550D since it was the new hotness and although my skills are still the main limiting factor, it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

I'm looking for something that's a bit better for stills (so anything would do, really) and can do decent 4K. I was still mostly in the DSLR camp and almost got the 6D II last year, until the early reviews made the sensor look worse than some APS-C cameras. Obviously this is still the same sensor as far as I can tell so that's not great, but at the price I might be able to get over it. It is priced like an early Rebel after all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Laserface posted:

this is also me. I tend to spend my winter shooting night time drifting events and my iphone has better low-light abilities than my 550D in most cases.

seeing what my friends Sony 6300 is capable of at night makes me really sad.

I've been considering an 80D because I dont really think I will ever need full frame as an amateur/hobbyist and switching to Sony is too much effort.
The 80D is pretty great and would be a big upgrade over our 550Ds. But wouldn't your night shooting benefit a lot from full frame sensors? A 6D II or RP isn't quite as good as the A7 III but they're also almost half the price plus you get to keep your glass.

They don't even have our camera on there any more but I know it's pretty bad at 3200 and complete garbage at 6400.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I, too, am still stuck on a 550D (T2i) :negative:

It's my first and only DSLR body I've ever owned. I need to get a new one, I just haven't had the money for a purchase that substantial lately.
:smith:

I think it held up surprisingly pretty decently overall and I get a lot of great images out of it, but autofocus is a joke as is high iso performance. I do have more money than I did when I bought the 550D but it's still hard to justify dropping $2k on what is essentially one of many (expensive) hobbies.

Slowly I'm convincing myself that the RP is a pretty good solution. It does well enough 4K for my purposes (filming an interview with my grandfather, so no rolling shutter or autofocus concerns), low light performance is waay better and dual pixel AF is apparently magic. The $800+ extra in my pocket will surely help me get over the fact that it's not quite as good as the new A7.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are you guys talking about the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM? I've never used it but isn't it like $400? Then it's not too surprising that it's better than the $100 fifty, it's probably more in line with the 50 f/1.4.

Laserface posted:

Thanks - these photos are great and pretty much exactly what I do (bugs, birds,nature)

the other small issue is my only decent Tele lens is my Kit 55-250 from the 550D. I have a Tamron 70-300, but it randomly decides to not work beyond 180mm and will cause the camera to ask to reboot. it was a freebie when I bought a 17-50 second hand and the person didnt want to keep it around and it worked fine for a real long time, so I cant complain too much (except that the kit lens has IS and is sharper at all lengths)

I've been looking at second hand 70-200 F/4s or even the 100mm macro since that will get some double duty (and I could sell my 60mm macro)
The 70-200 is amazing, even the f/4 one. I first bought the 55-250 II (didn't get it in the kit) to take on a vacation and it did great considering the prices (and IS is fantastic) but I rarely was really impressed by the results, unlike with the 70-200, which just somehow makes everything look better automatically. Definitely get it if the range is useful for you.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Really wanna punch whoever made that decision at Canon. Like I don't expect the RP to be better than a $2000 Sony but how is it worse than old APS-C Canons or even loving 4/3 cameras. gently caress you canon. Maybe I should just get a used 5D IV :thunk:

E:
Or... the R? It seems to be available in Hong Kong for about $1500 at which point it makes a ton of sense fuuuuuck

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 12, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Encrypted posted:

The R is not too bad if you can get it for that price.
Just keep on using all of your adopted EF lenses and be ok with 3fps when you are doing continuous AF.
Well I found a reseller on eBay that had the camera, adapter and kit lens for 2.3k but they increased the price just before I went to buy it. The camera+adapter kit isn't that great value (assuming the lens is worth it at least 700). Oh well. The 3 fps does kind of suck but I don't shoot sports professionally so I could probably live with it.

So the EOS-M isn't completely dead? I actually considered just getting a used m50 in the short term as I want to shoot some interviews in May and anything would be better than the 550D at this point, crippled 4k or not.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently the EOS-M has Magic Lantern firmware with a bunch of cool video features, including 2.5k RAW lol. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc8KqW0QcL4.

The Rode most people seem to use for the on-camera mic is the VideoMic Pro or VideoMicro for lower size/budget. Deity D3 seems like a good alternative but I haven't used it. These should work fine for recording people within arm length.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried the EF-M 32mm f/1.4? I've been waiting out for a used m50 and there's a kit with it included. I'm really only planning on keeping this until I can get the R for a reasonable price but I seems like a good lens. Still, I'm not sure if there's much demand for a lens that costs more than any of these cheap bodies so I wouldn't want to get stuck with it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drat the R5 looks sweet as hell. How do you think will Canon gently caress it up? All the numbers seem to be right but maybe the sensor will have terrible dynamic range or be a noisy piece of poo poo? Or maybe it'll be fine but cost like 10 grand. I want to believe but I don't know if I can.

It was supposed to be shown at WPPI in Vegas but I haven't heard anything, maybe it got canceled because of the wuhan flu or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think I could live with that

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Yeah EF-M is sadly impossible to adapt to RF but man those things are tiny I'm not surprised

charliebravo77 posted:

I've never been so excited about being disappointed the following day. Can't fuckin' wait.
I was sure the event was supposed to be on the 8th so I was ready for Canon to gently caress me up when I woke up this morning lol.

But I suppose the pricing and capabilities have been all but confirmed now so there's nothing really they could surprise us with, other than perhaps a 50% discount for Canon loyalists. Honestly though if I could get an R6 for under $2k grey market I'd probably do it. I could finally sell off my 550D body and M50 kit + 32mm 1.4.

It's weird, I had no problem buying the 550D kit for almost a grand on my first job, but now despite making several times more and this being a much more capable camera, it feels way too much to spend on a camera.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 9, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No idea but drop-in filters are :getin:

Gonna go watch the event now and then cry myself to sleep.

E: they loving did 8K RAW, the absolute madmen! The R6 looks perfect for a photo/video enthusiast, although a bit too expensive, there's a decent chance it'll be under 2k by eoy one way or another. My only real concern was dynamic range which was pretty lovely on the R but with the similar sensor to 1DX it seems like it might be much better now.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 10, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I half forgot that camera makers decided they should count screens by "dots" rather than pixels, so each pixel apparently counts for 3 dots (red, green and blue).

All this mirrorless talk put EF-M back on my radar. I'd either never known you could easily adapt EF/EF-S lenses to the EF-M cameras or completely forgotten. Seems like you can sometimes find bodies + kit lenses for pretty cheap. Any big gotchas with them?
I don't think there's a catch, but none of the bodies are class leading in any way but they are pretty good value and I enjoy using my m50. The EF adapter works great and as far as I can tell even with the cheap chinese one, the lenses perform as natively. There's also a speed booster you could use instead but it's $$$.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently that isn't entirely new though, was this also perhaps in the 1DX? The dpreview guys said it was pretty useless but maybe they improved it this time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think all Canons get dual pixel AF and sensors are much better too so yeah I think any Rebel would be much better in every way. I still have my 550D around and replaced it with an M50 mainly for travel comfort but otherwise I'd go for the 90D for the nicer body if nothing else. Or the R6 of course :D

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Chris and Jordan have the R6 review out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AXpz50sc18

Looks like exactly what I need (though at least a grand too expensive for my taste), though I'd want to pixel peep in the written review.

The video limitations are a bit disappointing but I don't think it's a serious issue for the intended market. Who'd shoot more than 15 minutes of 4k slomo b-roll in one go? Or a 20 minute 8K RAW take? Maybe if you're shooting an interview in which case a 29 minute limit would cut in anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Videos talking about the photography half of the R5 are finally showing up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SSFGBYp_Tc

(of course they still whine about the video for a third of it, but the review of the stills performance is glowing)
They always do mixed photo/video reviews. The overheating definitely sucks but it doesn't seem catastrophic for what I'd imagine the most frequent use cases for these cameras are. If you're making a feature film with 10+ minute takes why not just use a cinema camera. An indie production could probably deal with it. 20 minutes of 8K seems pretty fair limit for basically a still camera.

Any ideas how the 4K HQ would compare with the R6 4K? The line-skip they showed looked loving awful but the R6 does a 1:1 readout as I understand so it would be down to supersampling vs not. But they don't seem to have the still comparison available anywhere. Anyway it's not like I'd be able to justify the R5 so this is mostly pretty academic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Remember Linus water cooling his Red camera? There are some good news for the R5 havers too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1u-9YqrIJc

Tl;dw: the watercooling is just for a test, he comes up with a passive improvement that increases 8k recording by like 50% and cuts down the cooldown time to about 5 minutes. A little fan is enough for indefinite recording.

Honestly this is a pretty impressive hack. The R6 is about the most I can reasonably justify but if I had the 5, that seem like a no brainer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

There was a guy that got dramatically improved 8k record times just by replacing/adding some thermal tape to the relevant bits of circuitry. I think I linked it a page or two back. Still out of reach to most, but it does suggest to me that Canon should 100% produce a revision to the body and give current owners a retrofit service. They won't, but they should.
Haven't seen this wrt the R5 but it's also a common improvement for cheap laptops that usually improves performance and/or temperatures significantly. I guess they just don't care because it works "good enough" as is

InternetJunky posted:

The thing about that video that worries me is that based on his analysis and solution it's pretty clear the overheating is an inbuilt flaw and not something that can be dealt with via a firmware update. His improvement is out of reach for 99.9% of R5 users.
Unless it's they come up with a magical algorithm that processes 8k video much more efficiently, yeah, it looks like it has to be a hardware fix.

Most people definitely wouldn't want to make the heatsink themselves (though it's not that bad, seems entirely doable with hand tools) but I can see someone making and selling these, or even offering to install for a fee too.

E: Hell, I'll do it. Just send me your R5s!

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 27, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On my M50, pinch to zoom works, and also the two buttons on the right edge of the camera, * and a little ▦ looking thing do the zoom in/out.

Also just saw the M50 Mk2 is out. Tha changes are... eye-detect autofocus and direct stream to youtube? :confused:

I like my M50 for travel since it's compact, light, and handles well but that's a pretty pathetic update. Still the same sensor with the same 1.4x crop in 4k and without DP autofocus, no headphone jack, etc. But shelling out two grand for a full frame camera is still a pretty difficult proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Trip report: repair ended up being $550-ish, $450 for the work and another $100 for shipping with insurance. A painful learning experience but not bank breaking.

Took about a 1.5 weeks, I put it in the mail on the 18th and I'll have it back in hand by the weekend.
Makes me feel a bit better about the $200 quote for shutter replacement on my m50. It took the only Canon authorized service a whole week to reply with a quote. The other major non-official service never answered the phone lol. I wonder if I could just DIY this, they have the parts on ebay.

I really just wanted to upgrade to an R6 anyway but they are still surprisingly expensive even used and well now my current camera has 0 value until I fix it.

xzzy posted:

It's unfortunate how toxic dpreview is, because there is a lot of knowledge in there and they always show up in google results.

But getting through a thread is always pain.
The forums/comments are really bizarre, it's like a bunch of 13 year olds arguing about the best graphics cards in 1999 and not adult professionals or at least serious enthusiasts.