Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

Inf posted:

Finally used my 8mm Samyang/Rokinon today for something, this lens is drat sharp. Stopped it down to f/11, didn't even have to check the focus (just set it at infinity and literally everything beyond 1 ft or so was in focus)

Also, surprisingly no real flare problems, shooting straight into the sun too. I covered the lens up between shots because I was paranoid about burning a hole in my focusing screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJWZAIs1HJE

That looks really nice. I've only come across Samyang lenses recently, but so far they look like they have decent image quality, especially considering their price point. How is the build quality on yours?

goattrails fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!
There is a VDSR version of it that i assume solves the gripes with mounting/dismounting:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-8mm-t3-8-asph-if-mc-fisheye-cs-vdslr-review-19835
(the aperture is slightly smaller however).

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

Combat Pretzel posted:

About this Magic Lantern stuff, is it an alternative firmware? Is it worthwhile to be installed? --edit: Awww, no 6D branch yet.

I have it on my 7D, and in my case it's just a layer of software I run on top by pressing a few buttons. It's just files on the CF-card. It's really good for using my MP-E 65mm macro lens because of the focus assists.

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

bolind posted:

FWIW, a recent product/model shoot at my company was done on Phase One 40MP sensors, the argument being that it was nice to be able to crop lots and lots to use either the entire scene, close up of model's face, or even just the product (business headsets) or a detail of the product and still have enough pickles.

Why not just tell the photographer to cover all eventualities during the shoot and avoid throwing details away by cropping? :iiam: