Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Wikipedia does a pretty good job summing up the camera lines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Canon_DSLR_cameras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

fivre posted:

Flippy screen. More megapickels. Hipster filters.

The no more magnesium and worse controls stuff may be a bit overblown--it's still sturdy and the joystick/pad difference matters most if you're already used to the joystick.

I went from a 40D to a 60D despite all the advice not to. I was able to pick it up and start shooting without difficulty. Complaints about the UI would be the last thing I would have thought of happening. The main appeal for me is the video and increased ISO performance.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

doctor 7 posted:

Great OP. I had no idea my 60d was so terrible. :(

May want to update it a bit in regards to the Rebels as the T2i and T2i have the same sensor but the T4i and T5i (lol) have a definitely better one.

Haha, what? It really isn't a terrible camera. The fact that people complain about it being plastic and having different controls than it's predecessors (I mean seriously?) means they aren't spending enough time, you know, taking pictures.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

doctor 7 posted:

Ha, I was being sarcastic. I moved up from a T2i so the 60D is better in literally every way for me. Never used a 50D so I can't compare the two.

Oh I see. Sarcasm doesn't translate well in text sometimes. I own both the 40D and 60D right now. Jumping back and forth is so hard and unmanageable.

But really, I don't even notice the build quality differences. I'm not sure what people complain about.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Damit Canon, stop making hte most useful glass more expensive. At this rate I'll probably never sell my 24-70 f/2.8L and 70-200 f/4.0. Okay maybe the 70-200 to upgrade to the f/4.0 IS. But still.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Hughmoris posted:

Per admin suggestion, I'm cross-posting this from the My First DSLR thread.

I see a current bids on ebay on a non-refurbised, used T3i with kit lens for around the same price. Pull the trigger. What you have is a good deal considering it's also refurbished.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

bobfather posted:

Amazon.com, last December.

The price worked out to:

$3299 for body + lens
-$750 (if you wanted) by selling the lens
-$120 by buying $600 of Amazon gift cards at 20% off via a special promotion at a local grocery store
-$65 for 2% Amazon rewards offered at the time
-$135 in credit card cashback (5% cashback on $2699, which was the total price after applying the $600 in discounted gift cards)

Now that I'm redoing the math I paid $2229 for the 5d3 body if I had chosen to sell the 24-105 (I didn't).

Now that's some smart shopping there.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Bubbacub posted:

Don't know how reputable this place is (the ad appeared in my gmail sidebar), but this place is selling them for a bit over $2300:

http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42083&gclid=CMCLuY3zhLgCFQik4AodlUgAHg

Looks fishy to me. There are warranties to sell all over the site as well as their physical location no longer existing.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The problem is with this company is that when you order they hold the order, then call you and do the hard upsell. They DO NOT like to ship what you order, as evidenced in many of the complains on sites like reseller ratings, etc.

I had bought a camera, or rather tried to, through one of these sites. I got a phone call asking if I wanted to buy these super batteries that have all these magical properties. After saying no, they said okay and we hung up. It was the worst hard sell I've ever encountered. But yea a few weeks later my stuff still hadn't shipped blah blah blah, and I cancelled my order.

The site I ordered from had a very similar layout to the one posted here. They will always have live support as well as links for businesses to order to make it appear like they traffic a lot of merchandise. Another red flag are the warranties spattered all over the page. The first flag should be very low prices.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

iSheep posted:

Man, I don't know what thread to ask this in.

I have been asked to shoot some photos of a home tomorrow for a real estate listing. I am looking into a lens to rent for my 6D, and the widest available for rental is a the Canon EF 16-35mm 2.8L. Would that be able to do the trick? I figure with the full frame, I should get a little more space to capture, correct?

A tilt shift might help you out as well. You want all of your vertical lines to be, well, vertical. Canon makes a 24mm tilt-shift that is as sharp as a tack. And yes, you will be able to get a wider shot at the same focal length using a full frame camera verses a crop sensor.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

SeaborneClink posted:

Wait you just spent $3k+ on a 5dmk3 and are complaining about $100 for a 64gb CF card. :confused:

Is this like the thing where people whinge about spending $100 on a good cpl for a $1100+ lens?

Yes, they just spent $3k on a 5dmk3. Some people still have the concept of a dollar.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Wario In Real Life posted:

Welp...

Should arrive just in time for the weather to turn lovely and me not want to go outside and shoot anything. :waycool:

Holy hell, the 6D looks much more desirable now. That is on the high end of what I was expecting. But I guess I didn't really follow much news about it.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Inf posted:

The 70D price will plunge rapidly if you can wait it out for 6 months or so. The 6D was $2200 when it came out, I've seen deals as low as $1500 recently for the body only.

Oh man, post in big bold letters here when those show up.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Oh balls :ohdear:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Inf posted:

If you add http://www.the-digital-picture.com/ to your news reader you will get daily updates about deals for various camera gear. Not in the market right now, but I like to keep apprised of what the street prices are on various pieces of gear.

I usually just check e-bay, but this also looks good. Thanks!

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Does anyone here actually purchase broken lenses? If so, what the hell do you do with them and why do you pay so much?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

xzzy posted:

I'd guess they part them out and try to assemble a complete lens from a bunch of broken ones.

I didn't think those are readily able to be disassembled by any regular joe.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I played around with a 6D and 5DIII today. I had no idea they stocked them at Best Buy. I guess a lot has changed in the two years or so that I've been there. Still have crappy peripherals though. If they sold decent lenses/flashes/bags/tripods, it might be a place worth visiting regularly.

Also the floor model 5D didn't have a lens on it to play with :negative:.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Mr. Despair posted:

My bestbuy has a pretty decent range of lenses/flashes too, and some big name tripods as well (manfrotto n poo poo). Bag though... meh.

The other thing to keep in mind is that bestbuy will pricematch places like BH and amazon now for that sort of stuff. It's pretty sweet!

When did they decide that price gouging and selling warranties out the wazoo wasn't a sustainable business plan? My last experience was terrible.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I just got in a 5D Mark III rental from Borrow Lenses. I don't know what I'm going to do when I have to return it. Also, holy crap a crop sensor chops off a bunch more than I thought it did.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Great, now I'm spinning.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone have opinions on the medium format camera that Canon is working on? Does anyone have a guess as to what it might cost? There isn't much information to go by, but it's pretty exciting nonetheless. My guess is that it will be more expensive than an equivalent Hassie.

http://petapixel.com/2013/08/19/rumor-canon-hopes-to-launch-a-digital-medium-format-system-in-2014/

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

emotive posted:

I shoot at Lime Rock in CT mostly, but even there I'm craving more reach at 200mm and they let you get right up in the action. That's why I was planning on at the very least an extender. Also part of the reason I'm wondering if I should stick with a crop body and jump to a 7D if it's that much better than the 60D since the price has dropped quite a bit in the past few months.

I have a lot of fun shooting with primes so I was even considering a 300mm f4 but I know I should grab the 70-200.

So many choices. None of this will probably happen until after the new year so maybe there will be a more satisfactory, affordable alternative by then.

Hey Lime Rock buddy! I use a 70-200 f4.0 with a 2x extender on a 60D. However, especially with Lime Rock, there are places where 200mm is plenty. 400mm without IS is awful anyways without a good tripod. You can also take a look at their on track photography program.

Take a look at a small project I did at Lime Rock recently. I didn't use anything past 200mm for that.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3294359&pagenumber=32#post420468771

Edit: Tell you what, I want to go usually 3 times a year, the historic, and well, the now defunct ALMS and Rolex series. If you ever want to go to a larger event like that I'll let you take a look at the lens and extender to make the decision by yourself. Just PM me.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 12, 2013

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Take the time to read this and never have to pay anyone again. Also, clean your friends' sensors for quick cash!

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Use Kim Wipes. I use hundreds of them at work. They also get used on silicon wafers and in Canon mfg. I can't really think of anything better.

http://www.amazon.com/Kimtech-Science-KimWipes-Delicate-Wipers/dp/B00F462T3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382484143&sr=8-1&keywords=kim+wipes

They're cheaper too.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Combat Pretzel posted:

Advantages of the 5Diii over the 6D:

- Tons more cross-type AF points, altho they're kinda centric-ish.
- Dual card-slot.
- Top cover ain't fiberglass.
- 100% VF coverage.
- Higher burst rate.

Advantages of the 6D over the 5Diii:

- Slightly better high ISO performance.
- Wifi and GPS.
- Focusing screen can be changed (I figure it can be on the 5Diii, too, but it'd involve a screwdriver, and there are no first party screens).
- Smaller and lighter.

--ninja edit: The 6D is essentially a way improved 5Dii.

I know the 5DIII is better, but to me, the 6D sounds better.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

1st AD posted:

It screams "we stole a pallet of 6D's" to me.

I want to say my 60D was probably stolen. Though, it didn't cross my mind at the time. I bought it off of ebay for $750 (I know) at the time which was really cheap. It had low shutter count, but did not come with a body cap and when I asked a question about it, the seller kept referring to itself as "we". Seems super fishy, but they had a good seller rating, much like 6D pallet guy.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Gothmog1065 posted:

Specifications

Weight: 2.22225 oz.
Chemistry: Li-Ion
Brand: Aftermarket
Voltage: 7.4
mAh: 780

I had to quote this part at the sheer ridiculousness of giving the batteries weight down to the 1/100000 of an ounce.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
This is a logical conclusion. No one should seek information in a forum guys, there's no need when you can use a search engine! No discussion is allowed. In fact, today we should shutdown Something Awful. I've got a petit

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone here ever use the Canon 400mm f/5.6L? I just discovered that if I'm lucky I could score one for $1000. I want to make sure it's worth the purchase. It would be a specialty lens that I would only use for sports and birds.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Welp, off to e-bay to see what I can score. I appreciate the input.

Right now I have a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L and a Canon 2x Extender I (I know). The 400 f/5.6L will get me the same focal length and aperture, but I bet it will be wonders sharper. I can even sell the 2x extender to help pay for it. Though, I wonder what 800mm looks like haha.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 15, 2013

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I can't afford anything larger than that 400. But I've tried a Nikon 600mm f/2.8 and some sort of 1000-2000mm lens that I can't seem to find the name for but here's a picture of my buddy using it.

Am I doomed? :ohdear:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
OH GOD I BOUGHT IT WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME :gonk:. It was sitting there, right on ebay. It was mocking me. "Newly Listed!", it said. "Free Shipping," it said. Opening it sealed the deal. "This item is getting 8 views per hour". I knew it wouldn't last long. BUY. $950. What have I done? I'm going to have to sell my 40D and the 2X extender to begin to afford it. I am now the owner of a Canon 400mm f5.6L telephoto.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
knowing Canon, that thing would be $3000-$4000 anyways.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I had a scan disk card break apart on me, I e-mailed them, telling them what happened and they replaced it with no hassle. I didn't even have to prove I owned the thing.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

rcman50166 posted:

OH GOD I BOUGHT IT WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME :gonk:. It was sitting there, right on ebay. It was mocking me. "Newly Listed!", it said. "Free Shipping," it said. Opening it sealed the deal. "This item is getting 8 views per hour". I knew it wouldn't last long. BUY. $950. What have I done? I'm going to have to sell my 40D and the 2X extender to begin to afford it. I am now the owner of a Canon 400mm f5.6L telephoto.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, thanks for ensuring the 400/5.6L Mk II IS will be released next week. :D

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/12/ef-400mm-f5-6l-is-on-the-way

You bastard. :smithicide:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
The way my 60D arrived to me leads me to believe it was stolen. The thing didnt come with a body cap and came with some really lovely batteries and charger which were brand new. The person selling it knew nothing about the camera as well. But what are you going to do? I had no undeniable evidence.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
All lenses should have a moniker. You know, like fighter jets.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Canon 24-70 Wedding Buster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I have 24mm to 800mm entirely covered in 8.5lbs. Eat it nerds.

Oh god they need to release the 11-24.'

Edit: Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with being prepared for literally any shot. I have no idea what you guys are so upset about.