Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Just came back from Jamaica where I was asked last minute to second shoot for a wedding. I had brought my 5D just in case, but didn't bring my backup camera because I wasn't planning on actually shooting anything. While we were waiting for the bride to arrive, my black rapid connector piece decided to come loose and the whole of my 5D + 24-70 went crashing to the ground from chest height. Scratched the body a bit but still works perfectly (and since it's several years old already, the body is already scratched), and my lens hood prevented any damage to the lens. Even thought I knew they're built to last, it really eased my concerns about having to baby my camera all the time. Definitely impressed with the build quality of both body and lens.

But man, that f'n strap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

evil_bunnY posted:

Did you not lock the carabiner? What happened?

Not really sure. Apparently the last time I hooked it up, I didn't tighten the carabiner fully, and it unscrewed and when I let go of my camera it managed to slide out at precisely the right time and angle. New note to self to make sure it's screwed in tight every time.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
On a serious note, I had almost the same setup as you when I went to Europe (t1i and kit lens + telephoto) and I used my kit 18-55 95% of the time. I didn't see much of a need for going longer, and the wide end was useful for tight city streets. Obviously depends on your style of shooting, but I'd say the 17-50 range on a crop is the most useful as a walk around.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I also have an R-strap, but not for looks, it's just way more comfortable than having the Canon strap hanging off my neck or shoulder.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Amazon dropped the TS-E 24mm II to $1999 with an additional 2% back.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Ultra-Tilt-Shift-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001TDL2O0/

I'm very close to pulling the trigger at that price. :ohdear:

edit: Adorama's got the same price. Did new rebates kick in?

Are you the Dorkroom's resident dentist? Man the gear you pick up gives me gear lust so bad.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The "but I believe all of that engineering is done in Japan" is my polite way of saying that I don't want to go to Japan. :)

I did recently learn, however, that RED is located down the street from me so there's still hope that I could someday get a job doing work for a camera designer!

That's awesome you're able to do that, even if you aren't super into the actual picture taking aspect of photography. Keep me in mind when you decide to upgrade ;)

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

dakana posted:

Most modern camera shutters are rated for at least 100k actuations. I guess if you're shooting a 2500-photo wedding every single weekend of the year, you'd get up around 150,000 after a little over a year. A lot of cameras, though, go well above what they're rated for. In addition, a shutter repair is like $250. Not too bad if you're doing it on a $3,000 camera body like a 5D3.

And if you're shooting a 2500 picture wedding every weekend, you can probably justify $250/year.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

That metal dude posted:

That's it. I'm selling my 5D mk. II and sacrificing as many virgins/goats as I have to in order to buy the 5D3. This is just amazing.

The first image looks pretty lovely to me. What's the difference between the first and second image? And what's with the noise in the first?

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 17, 2013

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Huxley posted:

XTi sets usually eBay around $250 for body, kit lens, bag, card, battery and charger. Is that such a bad deal to get started? I will say I wasn't super impressed with the borrowed XT tonight, but I'm trying to keep it under $300-400 for everything plus a 50mm if I could.

While lenses keep their value really well, bodies get upgraded so fast in comparison. Especially on the entry level bodies, which are released what, yearly?, you're going to notice a very big limitation on that very quickly. At least with the higher end bodies, an aged body isn't quite as noticeable because they were built way more solidly from the get go. I'd say go with the 30D or 40D if you can.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

erephus posted:

The 100D is so small I can fit both the camer and a lense in the bag I got for the 1100D, if I'm not carrying the lense I can put the camera in any direction I want inside the bag.

But I'm getting a new, bigger and better bag.

This post contributes nothing to your question, but it's lens, not lense. Sorry, that spelling error just drives me nuts.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Losing the eyecups on my cameras seems to be a talent of mine. Brand new 5d3 from 2 months ago, and I already lost it somewhere. :(

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'm wondering if it has to do with having my camera on my black rapid during shoots. Maybe it rubs against my hip too hard and knocks it off? I'm pretty sure I lost it yesterday during a shoot 45 minutes away from town, in a giant tall grass field. So ordered another one today. I'm going to glue it down, I think. My only concern is if I ever need to pop it off to clean around there or something?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I didn't think it was loose or anything, and I'm not really sure when exactly I lost it. I just picked it up this morning and noticed it was missing. When the replacement comes in, I'll see if it's loose from the get go. I'll probably end up taping it down a bit just to be sure. I wouldn't say I'm hard on my gear, but I do try to minimize the time I'm changing lenses, etc so maybe in my rush I just loosened it by accident and the hip bumping just knocked it off? Who knows. But it's annoying as poo poo.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Oh look! A package for me! Judging by the size of the box, it must be some article of clothing I recently purchased online.

wtf Canon.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

deaders posted:

That's the validation I needed! Thanks anonymous internet person ;)

No it's not rent money, I do pretty well but am getting married in a year so have some big purchases coming up in the next 6 months...

I bought a 5d3 6 months before my wedding, and planning to buy a house this year* so don't feel bad :)

*if I stop buying camera gear

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'd agree with the above posters. The 5d is certainly a very capable camera and can still produce great images, but the low light performance of it is pretty limited. If I always had control of my lighting, it would be fine but that's not always the case and I think a lot of the recent crop bodies even do better in low light. I had a 5d for a while though and I did love it, just depends on how and what you shoot.

That being said, ff was more important to me than noise reduction so it was an upgrade for me. All depends on what you want!

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 8, 2013

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Not everyone buys used, though.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

That drat Satyr posted:

The 6D was never an option for me - I am trying to decide between the 70D, the one that's just now about to be released (or maybe it was just released? Either way, the new one). This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMS0GTC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I mean, budget wise I guess I could sit on my money and wait and get a 6D, because that was the plan if I decided for the 5DmkIII, since I'm working as the lab work study and would be able to afford it in a few months... but... ugh. I just don't know. This is harder than buying a drat car. :smith:

If you're worried about budget enough that you can't get a 6D right away and are also considering getting a 5D3, you'll be saving for a loooong while. Go with the 70D, use it, when you have more money, sell it and get a 5D3 or whatever else is new at the time.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'm on vacation in Europe right now, and only brought one lens with me, my 24-70. Since I got here it had difficulty getting focus confirm when zoomed out past 35mm. I was able to work around it, but now it's suddenly very sticky when moving the focus ring. I have to put in a whole lot of force to get it to move at all. Still focuses and takes pictures, but the more I turn it, the harder it becomes to move.

Any chance at all of being able to "fix" it myself? By fix I mean force it until it either works or breaks more. I have no tools to do actual work.

Alternatively, where can I buy a new lens in Belgium? I'm here until Sunday (in Bruges then a really small town outside Verviers) then going to Munich. I've only been here 4 days, I need a lens!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Where outside Verviers (hope it ain't Eupen)? If you're in Germany, any Mediamarkt might do for new glass. Their prices are aligned closely to those of dedicated photographers shops. The first party stuff is usually in stock (at least stuff like 24-70 et al).

Battice/Thimister Clermont :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up forcing it once more and whatever was jamming it came loose so I was able to keep using it for the rest of the trip. Now it's a bit wonky for sure so it'll be going in for repairs.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Crivens posted:

I suspect that, for a beginner, these are all decent cameras and whichever I get will be fine?

I think this is a pretty good attitude. Get what is in your budget and use it; if you grow out of any of those, you'll know what features you want and can narrow down your next upgrade accordingly. For a beginner, just get something, shoot with it, and go from there.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I've never noticed it as being an issue or even an annoyance after the first week of using it. Just got used to working with other ways of focus confirmation, including the green dot and trusting that it focused on the point I had selected as my focus point.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
When is the Sigma 50 art supposed to be released....I need it.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

rio posted:

I am thinking of buying a used 5dc. I think I will be fine for most uses, but I do worry about keeping up with moving kids. If I have a moving subject am I going to feel like bludgeoning myself with the camera or is the AF generally useable?

My main reason for heavily considering a 5dc is because I am into mirrorless but want a "normal" full frame dslr for professional use since I am getting more paid gigs and I am really feeling the limitations of the NEX line (but will love my x100 forever). Since everything I have is legacy lenses, mirrorless gear etc. I don't have anything invested in Nikon or Canon so I would be starting from scratch. With a tax refund coming up, the timing is perfect.

Knowing that glass is ultimately where money should be spent, the 5dc would definitely leave me with the most money left over but I guess I am worried about buying a camera from 2005.

Also, what lenses would you recommend if you were starting from scratch and going to spend a couple grand or so on lenses? I have been reading constantly for days - my eyes are going to fall out - there are so many differing opinions on the same lenses.

The canon 24-105L looks pretty nice on paper but I would love something with a 2.8 constant, and since the Canon one is so much that leaves me looking at Tamron, which people seem not to like, and the Sigma which seems great to some but not good to others for this and that reason.

For something around 70-200, the canon f4 constant looks good unless there is a smarter choice.

From the OP, the 50 1.8 seems worth it over the 1.4 from Canon or Sigma, correct? And the 85 1.8 also sounded good.

Thanks for any help - not at all sure what to do and I'm not in a situation where I can drop cash on rentals since I want every dollar going towards these purchases.

I'd recommend skipping the 50 1.8. I was never really a fan. Get the sigma 50 or wait for the new art one. The 85 1.8 is a great lens. Could you pick up a used 24-70 I? I got mine for about $1200, and it's so worth it.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Mt 85 1.8 is my favourite portrait lens. I sometimes use my 100 2.8, but 90% of the time it's my 85. I'd love a 1.2 someday.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Bubbacub posted:

I like the 135/2 for portraits. The 85/1.8 is good too, but the CA is pretty bad when it's wide open. I'd kill for an 85/1.2.

True, but CA is easily dealt with in post. Doesn't bother me much.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
There are many people who also feel it's unnatural and the benefit of having it isn't really worth it. It's all user preference. I tried it for a good couple of months and hated it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

evil_bunnY posted:

You are wrong, hope this helps.

If shutter triggered focus is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

I find I don't really benefit from back button focus, and it feels totally unnatural to me, so why change? I like the way I do it now and I'm not changing for anyone! You don't know me! :colbert: