Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ShotgunWillie posted:

Get the 40. It's awesome.

I just shot a cheap test-roll of Fuji C200 on an EOS5 with the 40mm, it was sweet:

Just stuck a roll of Portra 400 in that bad boy :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The verdict is in:

I've had it for a year. :blush:

That's like just about 3 16gb cards of raw :cmon:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does't Magic Lantern do shutter count?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wario In Real Life posted:

If by generation you mean an actual human generation then yeah probably.

Yeah basically this. Nikon are putting Canon to shame.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

IanTheM posted:

I wonder if it'll have an aliasing filter in the hopes of making it more video friendly.

I'd hazard a guess and say Canon are totally reluctant to put too much improvements into the video on their DSLRs while they're flogging the C-00 video camera series.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I'm not a huge advocate of the C-series. The low-light on them is pretty good though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

plasmoduck posted:

I love my 50/1.8, but for many occasions 50mm is just too long on the crop body, so I'm looking for a cheapish "effectively normal length" lens. Canon has a 28/1.8 and a 28/2.8 IS in a similar price range, how do they compare? Which would you recommend for casual low-light/indoor shots, or as walk-around lens?

I cannot recommend the Sigma 30mm 1.4 highly enough for what you want
It offers the same Angle of View on a crop as a 50mm on a full frame (but it still retains the wide characteristics of a 30mm so prepare for that).

It does portraits and has great DOF:

James as Beast by Quantum Of Phallus, on Flickr

Amy in Norway by Quantum Of Phallus, on Flickr

And it's wide enough to do landscapes:

Otta Trainstation by Quantum Of Phallus, on Flickr

Gjendesheim Park by Quantum Of Phallus, on Flickr

I bought the original model from the Buy/Sell thread right here in the Dorkroom, there's also a newer model which has a USB dock and is supposedly even better. Either one should do nicely.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also while the 30mm is a great standard-type lens, it is quite heavy. The Canon 40mm 2.8 is an exceptional walk-around lens on a crop or full frame and is that bit wider than the 50mm. It's very cheap second hand, I picked it up here for a bargain of less than €100 last year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

For real tho, the 30mm f1.4 isn't that heavy.

The original sigma 30mm is nearly as heavy as a 600D so it tends to feel front-heavy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm just saying it'll feel heavy compared to the Canon 28mm lenses is all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If it's another T/Kiss model I don't know what to say. Canon are taking the piss at this stage.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just wait for the Mk4/ Canon White Rebel :getin:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's the 22mm for the EF-M...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A smug sociopath posted:

I ended up being offered a 5D MK2 for about 600bux.

:stare:
Nice. It's a great camera.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EF-S 10-22mm for $442 :stare:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EF 40mm f/2.8 for $136 is a pro buy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh right, probably worth the extra 4 bucks then to get it new. I picked it up from some dude here for $100 about a year ago, it was such a lucky buy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bob Mundon posted:

I got a Sigma 30 1.4 and never looked back.

This, great lens.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There was something posted here (or somewhere in The Dorkroom anyway) a while back about how like FF cameras from years ago are technically better than most modern crop sensors, I think it was in terms of sharpness.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yep, should do fine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

timrenzi574 posted:

It's amazing to me that people who would have bought 800 speed disposable cameras 15 years ago on vacation, or paid a wedding photographer a lot of money for pictures taken on portra 800, will spend a lot of time on internet forums ranting about how 6400 ISO is just UNUSABLE on their whatever camera. If I have to take a picture at 12800, I'd rather take it and downsize it than not take it at all.

I think it's more the fact that, unless you're shooting black and white, digital at higher ISOs looks much worse than film (or it used to anyway). With high-ISO film, you just had lots of grain but with digital you start getting weird colour issues. Like, if you bump up any of the Canon T3i/550D/60D sensors to over 6400, the colors start looking awful. Saying that, the 5D3 and newer models are all starting to look really good a super high ISO.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

The IQ is gonna be pretty similar between this generation of Canon crop cameras. Save your bux and go full frame if you want better IQ.

Yeah just save the money until you can afford FF. 650D is a fine camera.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We've been saying this for ages but Canon really need to up their game soon. Sigma have been totally embarrassing them on the lens front and Nikon's full frames seem to have the edge at the moment.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

C100 is Canon-mount only I think, which is p. useless for cinematography. The C500 is really good for low light though :vidtalk:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Have to say this, I'm sure you all already know though but for anyone who's in doubt:

A 50mm is a 50mm on a crop or on a FF sensor. It's the angle of view that changes. Your lens will still retain its characteristic ie even though a 30mm on a crop offers the same angle of view as a 50mm on FF, it's not great for portraits as it'll still look wide.

Heck, even a 50mm on a crop isn't the most flattering lens you can use. Stick an 85 on and just move further back.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pretty obvious one but buy a few spare batteries!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

After shooting film for years, I honestly can't stand tiny viewfinders. EVFs also suck rear end forever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'd seriously avoid the 50 1.8 for portraits, even On a crop body, it's really not a great lens . The 85 1.8 is MUCH better and I personally don't think it's too long, even indoors.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Huxley posted:

. I thought about the 40, but I definitely felt like it was redundant with the 17-50.

Don't discount the 40 just because you have it covered On a zoom. It's a great lens, probably the best Canon have put out in years. Colour reproduction is leagues better than the 50

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haggins posted:

Go for the 85 1.8 since you currently have nothing longer than 50mm

This. 85 1.8 should be one of those lenses every Canon shooter buys (I still haven't bought one 'cos I keep borrowing it from a friend like a cheapass). It's such a good lens.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haggins posted:

I think the XXD line became pointless after the 50D/when the 7D came out.

I've had a 600D for years but I always regret not spending a bit more on a 60D (or a lot more on a 5D2 but anyway)
My college has a bunch of 60Ds and they feel like actual cameras, the 600D is far too small for my hands and my little finger hangs off without the battery grip. Also the 60D has better native features like more ISO choices, custom WB and in built gyroscope for levelling.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mclifford82 posted:

Go look up shots with the 85mm f/1.2L. Words can't express how much I love that lens. When I hit focus :P

Lens of the gods.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Has anyone used the 135mm 2.8 soft focus? I didn't know it even existed before today and based on this link, I'm...curious about what it's really good for:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_135mm_f_2_8_with_softfocus

Can't see this being useful for anything in this digital age. I can kinda see its use back in the 90s/early 2000s but no reason to get it anymore unless you really want to get that effect in-camera.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I paid less than that for the lens itself (granted, I bought it from someone ere but it was in as-new condition)
Suuuchh a good lens.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

At the end of the day, I would always choose full frame over crop when given the choice. I've shot 60D and 600D for years but always love using my friend's 5D2 so much more. It's probably due to coming from a 35mm film background, I just love the bigger viewfinder.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah but it's 100% of an APS-C sized sensor so it'll be smaller than a 5D (I think!)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Smaller than that of an equivalent lens on a full frame camera, but it's still the full view for the adapted focal length. If you put an 80mm lens on a 5D and a 50mm lens of a 7D you'll see the same thing through both viewfinders.

mclifford82 posted:

You're still seeing 100% of the effective field of view. So if you have a 50mm lens on it, your effective FOV is 80mm. Your viewfinder is showing you 100% of that 80mm, which is what you will end up with in your image.

I know you'll see the full thing but I'm pretty sure the viewfinder in the 5D/6D/other full frame cameras is physically bigger than that in an APS-C

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seamonster posted:

EDIT: Also get a 40mm pancake if you don't already have one just because.

Truth. Should be in the thread title imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

There's also the older 200 f/1.8(!)

I am salivating at the prospect of this. Thing must be huge.

e:
Ha yep

:awesome:
DOF seems incredible from the stuff I'm looking at on Google Images

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I'd ask to see if there were any really out-there lenses that more experienced people knew of and coveted, but I hadn't seen or read about because they were so outside of most people's budgets.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.0
Or the Kubrick Barry Lyndon-series lenses

:dong: