Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JFC it's an autofocus lens :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My friend bought an FD adapter for a few lenses he bought second-hand, I shot some stuff on a 5D with them and absolutely hated it. Highlights were totally blown out in studio and outdoors, there was flare all over the place.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You need to apply Sharpness to Raw files in Lightroom. If your slider is set to 0, that could be part of the problem.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

550/600/650D + the 30mm 1.4 is a pro move.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Having recently sold my 50 1.8 and purchasing a refurb Tamron 60 f/2 macro, should I buy a 40 pancake?

I would say yes to getting it if it's not going to impact you greatly financially, it really is a stellar lens, probably the best Canon have made in a long time. Colour rendition and sharpness on it are just incredible.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sirbeefalot posted:

I was nearly set on the 50mm 1.8, what would be the better pick? That, or the 40mm pancake refurb?

The 50 is obviously faster but that's about where the advantages stop. The 40 is much better rendering colours (I've taken the exact same shot with both lenses and the 50 looks VERY washed out). The build quality of the 40 (metal mount, good focus ring) is also vastly superior to the 50 (which is plastic all over and feels cheap as hell)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Interesting... I use the 50 a lot for portraits and stuff, if the 40 will give me better colours I'll jump on it.

It might be that bit wide for portrait, particularly close up stuff. Could lead to unflattering results, but I've never tried it for that to be honest.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Magic Lantern is essential if you're shooting video.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The 50 1.8 is a pretty cheap lens and isn't very sharp wide open. Obviously you'll get a lot shallower DOF if you get it but I'd imagine the L Zoom will be pretty sharp at F/4 on a high ISO. You might be better saving a bit extra for the 1.4, which can probably be had for not a lot more secondhand.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Canon would rather just keep making Rebel/Tx bodies and their C cinema line instead of...lenses for either of their mounts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sirbeefalot posted:

Just received my 40mm pancake, "smallest DSLR" is now complete. Crazy how much louder the STM focus is in this vs. the other two lenses.

AFAIK, the STM on the 40mm pancake wasn't really designed intentionally for video, whereas the other two ( I assume you're talking about the EF-S STM lenses) were.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

From the video reviews I've watched, that's exactly what it was designed for: silently maintaining autofocus in video, as long as your body supports the STM functions. It didn't look like it worked so well for that but that's what it sounded like it was built for. Is that incorrect?

Ah OK, cool.

Video autofocus though :barf:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There's the Canon 50mm Macro (or is it 60? I think it's 50) that people seem to like.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you're taking a lot of product pictures then you probably won't need the insane AF of the mark 3.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dunno if it's your technique like caberham said but the 40 2.8 is sharp as hell wide open. I'd definitely recommend it over the 50 1.8, which I think is a horrible cheap lens but if it's portrait work your doing, consider saving up and getting the 85 1.8 instead. It's SUCH a good portrait lens.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I liked the 50 1.8 until I got the 40 and realised how horrible the contrast/colour reproduction is on the 50.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

85 1.8 should be one of those lenses all Canon owners look into, the quality is amazing for the price.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

God help you if you give your camera to someone else to take a picture of you though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sell all gear and get the new Sony Full Frame mirrorless bodies so you can shoot in the dark at ISO 1million or whatevers

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I made a similar "Sony hab no lenses" comment somewhere a while back and someone replied with a list of Sony's lens range. There seems to be a very decent line of them but I'm guessing that's more for their DSLRs. If they released their cameras with EF or DX mounts, they could clean up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The Sigma ART lenses are freaking bricks. I mean it's a great all around lens, but the 40 is something like 6x lighter. For a walk around that's a pretty big difference.

This is exactly my feeling in the matter. I've the standard 30 1.4 and the 40 2.8 and the 40 is so much lighter for just walk around stuff.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you have enough money to buy that lens, you're probably not going to get it from eBay.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thank you for the cute pig pics :3:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

triplexpac posted:

I'm still kind of new to the word of lenses, so I'm curious... how much of a difference is there between the Canon 40mm and 35mm? I'm on a full frame.

In terms of focal length, not much. In terms of lens size, weight, etc..., there's a lot of differences.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Snapsort put up some specs for the 7DII. Who knows if they're anything close to correct but here you go

10fps
61 point AF

:vince:

Nice. What the hell are Canon playing at though, they need to start releasing some new bodies soon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Go google pictures from each lens, especially stuff shot wide-open.

The 1.2 is so much faster and sharper.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Exactly. The 1.2L came out in way back in 2007 (although in Canon lens terms that's basically brand new).

triplexpac posted:

Is that the Sigma 50 ART or just the standard 1.4?

I use my cheapo Canon 50mm a ton and wouldn't mind an upgrade at all, but since this is just a hobby spending $1000 on a lens is a bit steep.

Don't do this (as in don't buy the 1.2L). Get the 85 1.8 instead and then save for a new body or one of the Sigma lenses.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 22, 2014

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm glad Sigma are around to make APS-C lenses 'cos Canon sure as hell don't care.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stick it on when travelling, take it off when shooting. One of my friends managed to save her front element from being destroyed by having a UV filter on when she was on a plane. They're cheap as poo poo anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, they've a new one coming out soon, the URSA.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you want subject isolation, get the 50 1.8 or the 85 1.8 and stand further back. The 30mm is too wide really.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You'll never get any real subject isolation on the 40 though. (Still the best lens Canon have released in years)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Export some JPGs and see if you still have the problem. Like 1st AD said, it's probably just a preview issue.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Canon shittin the bed since the 550d god drat

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's also said that the upcoming 750D would have an EVF,

No way.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Canon used to get by a lot on having good video. God help you if you use Nikon for video.

Video on the Sony A7s is straight baller though :cheers:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got a 3rd party grip for my 600D a few years back and it was absolutely perfect, the build quality was brilliant for the price I paid.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You could definitely get more than €140 if you resold it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mightaswell posted:

I've used VSCOcam for iPad to edit Canon cr2 files.

Feels good man.

Sometimes I export a flat JPG from Lightroom and send it to VSCO on my phone :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Buy the Sigma 30 1.4

This is the best advice. SUCH a good lens.